Sony Unveils PlayStation 4 Launch Title Lineup

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Sony Unveils PlayStation 4 Launch Title Lineup

PS4 with DualShock 4

If you're picking up a PlayStation 4 on launch day, these are the games you'll be able to take home with it.

The PlayStation 4 is coming on November 15, which is good news if you like that sort of thing, but what good is a PlayStation 4 without some PlayStation 4 games? Fortunately, there will be a few of those kicking around on November 15, too. Specifically, these:

Sony Computer Entertainment WorldWide Studios Titles:

• Flower
  • Killzone: Shadow Fall
  • Knack
  • Resogun
  • Sound Shapes

Third-Party Titles

• Angry Birds Star Wars - Activision
  • Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag - Ubisoft
  • Call of Duty: Ghosts - Activision
  • DC Universe Online - Sony Online Entertainment
  • FIFA 14 - EA Sports
  • Battlefield 4 - Electronic Arts
  • Just Dance 2014 - Ubisoft
  • Injustice: Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition - WBIE
  • Lego Marvel Superheroes - WBIE
  • Madden NFL 25 - EA Sports
  • NBA 2K14 - 2K Sports
  • Skylanders SWAP Force - Activision

Indie Titles

• Contrast - Compulsion Games
  • Pinball Arcade - FarSight Studios
  • Super Motherload - XGen Studios
  • Tiny Brains - Spearhead Games
  • Warframe - Digital Extremes

All of the games on the list will be out "on or by November 15," which seems like a rather odd hair to split - perhaps it's because Killzone: Shadow Fall has actually already been turned loose to some gamers. Sony also noted that the list is subject to change, and will be updated as necessary right up to launch date.

Source: PlayStation Blog

well, 22 is ok, but I never pick up consoles at launch.
At least it beat the WiiU's games @ launch number (17 was it?)

Lego Marvel and AC4 for me. Not a mindblowing line up, but it's pretty diverse and there should be a lot of quality there.

How awkward, buying a ps4 on launch but every game holds 0 interest to me. Okay, shadow fall is the most interesting and others I'm curious about 'cos I've not heard of them (wtf is resogun?) but on the whole, pretty pathetic.

Also flower? DCUO? Not launch games are they, they are just re-releases.

Josh12345:
At least it beat the WiiU's games @ launch number (17 was it?)

Yessir, we got seventeen games on launch day, count'em!
Alright, how many aren't shovelware?
Eeerrhhh... oh..um.. seventeen games we got on launch day, count'em!

This line up underlines the need for third parties in this generation, of the six I'd expect to be best sellers, five are from EA, Ubisoft or Activision. No wonder Nintendo ballsed it up.

As a side note, no Planetside 2?

omega 616:
How awkward, buying a ps4 on launch but every game holds 0 interest to me. Okay, shadow fall is the most interesting and others I'm curious about 'cos I've not heard of them (wtf is resogun?) but on the whole, pretty pathetic.

I'll admit that none of the launch titles are games that I feel really excited about. Honestly, I'm picking it up for Infamous 3 and Destiny and maybe to play Killzone or Battlefield 4 online with friends. Of course, there are other titles down the line, like The Order, which may interest me as well. The main reason I'll be picking it up on launch day is that I was able to preorder and put $20 down each week. Much easier to pay it off slowly over a period of months, than have to fork out $400 all at once.

Still, I'm excited for what is to come and I look forward to getting my new console. After paying off the last $27 of my balance, I'll be looking into which launch title to pick up, next weekend.

Weird I expected to see Planetside 2 on the list.

Not one of those looks like its worth playing. Really disappointing line up. I mean, I get that they are sequels to alot of current games, but in this industry...

Games are very samey already! How about something new!

I still can't decide between BF4 and COD, I'm leaning towards the insane 64 player destructive mayhem of BF4 but COD has that good fast paced, twitchy, gameplay. Plus the single player might not suck like BF4. I might wait for the review on COD before choosing (Killzone is bundled in the box before anyone asks).

All of these titles are pretty underwhelming. Especially if you play FPS games on PC.

Pinball Arcade?! Awesome. Now I can play Star Trek: TNG pinball on a 350 console!

There's nothing much on there that really sells me on a PS4 that I can't get elsewhere. If i do get a new console it'll likely be later down the line.

Dude, it's SUPER MOTHERLOAD! I loved the original, I played it over six years ago and I still have fond memories of digging down into hell and then killing the devil.

Saltyk:
snip

True, it's what I am excited about.

I just meant its awkward to put down a serious bit of cash, scurry home, set it up, then play some game that you're only half heartedly hyped about. I mean my triggers were tingling to play watch dogs but we all know what happened there.... Never really realized till now, without watch dogs the launch line up is a little, flacid.

So... nobody excited about Knack?

Speaking of excitement, if Sony thought this list was supposed to excite anybody, why on earth would they think putting angry birds up in there was such a good idea?

For some reason, I'm most excited about the fact that Super Motherload is actually a thing, I remember spending many hours on that game when it came out on newgrounds or wherever else.

This is the thing about this kind of games, they fly completely under the radar, because the launch lineup is supposed to be bringing out the big guns like screed or the other spunkgargleweewees, and looks like this time, Ubisoft and those Driveclub guys dicked Sony over by delaying Watch dogs and the latter. So we are left with nothing but more time to contemplate on how not to waste that money we kept for Watch dogs, or whatever else they delay, on chocolates and beer (for me at least :D)

For those of you interested, I did some research on those lesser known titles:

Resogun looks like a standart shmup
Sound shapes is a 2d rhythm platformer kind of like super meat boy, only a lot easier
Contrast looks fun, it's a 3d puzzle platformer, much like that lost in the shadows thing on the wii
And Tiny brains looks like a Raving rabbids 4 player coop party game sort of affair.

The other ones looked pretty self explanatory to me.

That list looks utterly disappointing. They may be able to get people to buy their console, but the games certainly don't seem to be the reason.

"Oh, hey. The reason that there's no new IPs or ideas is because this generation is dying, and the current gen doesn't have enough power to make people's ideas work. Once the next gen systems come out, we'll be up to our necks in original, innovative games!"

...and what do we get on launch day?

Ports and sequels.

Thanks game industry.

I actually have zero interest in all the games in the lineup as Contrast is going to be released on the PS3, and I'll be getting it for that. But then, I doubt I'll be buying it at launch, even though I know I definitely want one. When I got the PS3 for Christmas one year, the only games I had were MotorStorm that came with the system (bleh), Heavenly Sword, and The Godfather, and that was good enough for me. I look at a console's potential, not it's launch lineup. Oh, and how many Resident Evil games it's getting (and how many are exclusive). Yes, yes, go on and berate me for saying it, but it's the only reason I got a GameCube, and I'll defend that little wonderful bastard to my dying breath.

omega 616:

Saltyk:
snip

True, it's what I am excited about.

I just meant its awkward to put down a serious bit of cash, scurry home, set it up, then play some game that you're only half heartedly hyped about. I mean my triggers were tingling to play watch dogs but we all know what happened there.... Never really realized till now, without watch dogs the launch line up is a little, flacid.

Yeah, but I'm more excited for what comes out down the line. I think they said there will be about 100 titles on the PS4 within the first year. There's got to be some titles worth getting.

I am a little disappointed that Drive Club was delayed. I'm not a racing gamer, but it was supposed to be free with PS+ and free is in my ballpark. I would happily download that and probably get some fun out of it. Might even pay to get all the cars and such, too, if it really impressed me and the price was reasonable.

I know what you mean, though. But I'll make the most of it. One decent game should be able to hold me off till the ones I really want hit the ground.

sushkis2:

Knack makes me think of Crash Bandicoot and such games. I'm interested, but part of me screams that Knack will be a PS+ game within a year. And I'm willing to pick it up then rather than now. Plus, I kinda think it will be short and can't rationalize paying $60 on a game that may only give me 10 hours of gameplay. I'd rather buy one with online multiplayer that I can get hundreds of hours out of, if I'm only getting one game.

I've got Ac4 and Kz already ordered to pick up with my console. Think I'll grab Knack too. Sadly Watch Dogs is Mia for awhile, but these will keep me happy till then.

Wow, meager offerings. No killer app as of yet I guess. Almost makes you wish it could support the ps3's massive library until more games come out, wink wink, nudge nudge.

Wasn't Drive Club pushed back? What's going to be the first free Plus game then? Just curious. That aside it is a diverse line up to say the least. Something for everyone (except for driving and RPG) Tempted to pick up AC, but I need to finish the last ones. Not that they're directly related, but it's the principle of the matter.

Huh, is Flower getting a PS4 update? That probably explains why a Move update never came out, they were saving it for this.

Arawn:
Wasn't Drive Club pushed back? What's going to be the first free Plus game then? Just curious. That aside it is a diverse line up to say the least. Something for everyone (except for driving and RPG) Tempted to pick up AC, but I need to finish the last ones. Not that they're directly related, but it's the principle of the matter.

IIRC, Contrast will replace it. Looks to be an interesting game, with the jumping in shadows bit.

omega 616:

Agreed. I really believe I'll have a system at launch (have to get it, due to gift cards about to expire), but nothing to play.

Couldn't care less about Killzone, which is the only one I might have been interested in. Frankly, I expected it to be pushed back, but PS4 needed a meaty lineup, which would be lacking without this FPS.

Which is my problem. I really don't see Killzone being some great messiah of gaming for me. It doesn't have to be, but I expect as robust a SP mode as MP, and I don't see that happening here.

Conversely, I am REALLY looking forward to Watch Dogs, should it ever come out. I'll likely keep my PS4 in the box until then, which is sad. Although, if they have a deal on PS+, I may play the instant library, and rent the other titles.

Colour me unimpressed. Kind of supports my belief that they should have held off on the next gen consoles a little longer as most of the games I'm excited about either have a PS3/Xbox 360 version also coming out at the same time.

Wait, what happened to Minecraft? They said a number of times it would be on the Ps4 at launch, where is it now?

Toadfish1:
Wait, what happened to Minecraft? They said a number of times it would be on the Ps4 at launch, where is it now?

Well they did say this list is subject to change. Maybe something fell through beforehand?

Good job I'm not getting a launch day PS4, otherwise I'd be super bummed. The only one I'm remotely interested in is Knack, and if I'm honest I haven't even done much research into that.

Otherwise I can get the games I want on PS3. I still haven't got Assassin's Creed 3 yet, nor Blops 2, nor KZ3. Guess none of them really bother me that much.

I'm patiently waiting for the 29th to roll around to get my hands on mine (South America launch coincides with the european date) made a promise to myself not to buy any new games till it came out so that I could take a whack at my backlog.

Launch games for me are Killzone, Knack, FIFA 14 and I'm actually tempted to pick up an AC game for the 1st time since 2.

Oh good, I have some more time to save up for it before I have to get one for Infamous. That's nice.

Not a single title that I want to play. I've only had sporadic access to a PS3 so I'd rather pick that up and wade through some titles I've never gotten to playing than pick up a PS4 or maybe even a WiiU.

Daaaah Whoosh:
Dude, it's SUPER MOTHERLOAD! I loved the original, I played it over six years ago and I still have fond memories of digging down into hell and then killing the devil.

I know the error isn't yours, but the correct spelling is "mother lode". You should write them an angry letter. :3

I do want to get a PS4 at some point, but I'm glad I wasn't getting it launch day. It's kinda sad I'm looking forward to Zelda 3DS than two new console launches with a bunch of new games combined. :/ So far nothing in the "next gen" concerning PS4 and Xbox One has wowed me to get the consoles launch day.

I'm certainly not looking forward to having to go get the aforementioned Zelda game on the same day the Xbox One launches.

Working in the backroom of Target and what do I see that we got in today? CoD-Dog Ghosts...2 boxes for the PS3, one X-360 and one for the PS4. Oh, those blue cases...just like Vita one scaled up. Anyway...oh, no Octodad? Either way, I'm not planning to get my PS4 until about the FF15 or, Kingdom Hearts 3 release. It's going to take me a while but it's still nice to see that these will be the first budget games I'll be getting when I eventually get my console.

sushkis2:

Speaking of excitement, if Sony thought this list was supposed to excite anybody, why on earth would they think putting angry birds up in there was such a good idea?

For some reason, I'm most excited about the fact that Super Motherload is actually a thing, I remember spending many hours on that game when it came out on newgrounds or wherever else.

This is the thing about this kind of games, they fly completely under the radar, because the launch lineup is supposed to be bringing out the big guns like screed or the other spunkgargleweewees, and looks like this time, Ubisoft and those Driveclub guys dicked Sony over by delaying Watch dogs and the latter. So we are left with nothing but more time to contemplate on how not to waste that money we kept for Watch dogs, or whatever else they delay, on chocolates and beer (for me at least :D)

For those of you interested, I did some research on those lesser known titles:

Resogun looks like a standart shmup
Sound shapes is a 2d rhythm platformer kind of like super meat boy, only a lot easier
Contrast looks fun, it's a 3d puzzle platformer, much like that lost in the shadows thing on the wii
And Tiny brains looks like a Raving rabbids 4 player coop party game sort of affair.

The other ones looked pretty self explanatory to me.

I would've been interested in Knack if it wasn't for my mate who is the manager of the EB Games store I hand out at telling me that the story of this game was hush-hush at the EB Expo...

If I knew what the story was about I would've cared about it, but I figure if they are too stupid to tell me about one of the few first-party titles about, then I won't care about it.

I must say that the line-up is underwhelming, but I am waiting for Infamous, and Watch_Dogs though. Lego Marvel and AC4 will keep me going hopefully

If that's all there is, I think I'll be using the buy 2 get one free at Target for Killzone: Shadowfall, Call of Duty: Ghosts, and Assassin's Creed IV. Knack is something I'll keep my eye on and may replace CoD or AC, gonna have to see. Outside of that, waiting for Metal Gear, Final Fantasy, and more.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here