Steam Surpasses Xbox Live With 65 Million Users

Steam Surpasses Xbox Live With 65 Million Users

steam logo

Steam officially has enough active users to found a small - actually, make that a large nation.

As it turns out, Steam is pretty popular. How popular, you ask? Popular enough that it currently has more active users than the UK has citizens. Valve recently announced that its digital distribution service has over 65 million active accounts, a 30 percent increase from last year. The service's daily peak is around 6 million concurrent users. This count puts Valve way ahead of Microsoft's 48 million Xbox Live accounts, but still below Sony's 110 million worldwide PSN accounts.

In terms of other crunchy statistics, Steam's most popular game is Dota 2, clocking in at a daily peak of 500,000 concurrent players. The fact that it's free-to-play might have something to do with that.

Knowing how successful Steam has become in the ten years since it launched, it's not surprising that Valve is pushing to break into other markets. It remains to be seen how popular Steam Machines and SteamOS are with the living room crowd, but if Valve is able to secure even a moderate slice of the console audience, it'll be raking in some serious cash.

Even without a console demographic, Steam already has enough momentum to keep itself going for a long time. If Valve's statistics are anything to go by, it's safe to say that PC gaming is alive and well.

Source: The Verge

wow, didn't actually expect that. Also how the hell does Sony have twice as many accounts as MS?

sid:
wow, didn't actually expect that. Also how the hell does Sony have twice as many accounts as MS?

...because it's free...

Also, yay, perhaps now devs will be less dismissive of the pc gaming market.

Perhaps

sid:

Because their online service is free.
edit: ninja'd be mere seconds

OT: I expected the top game would be something different, never knew what DOTA 2 was till I looked it up today.

Akichi Daikashima:

sid:

...because it's free...

Still, there would need to be twice as many consoles in order to get THAT many users.
Unless every PS3 had like 4-5 accounts on it.

OT: W00T! Go Steam! Hellva service! :D

I have to wonder whether the PSN account numbers are skewed by importers such as myself. Though it's probably a combination of that and the fact that they're free to create in the first place.

Xan Krieger:

sid:

Xbox Live is free too, not everyone has Gold. Not sure whether Microsoft's count included Silver accounts or not, but it might.

Sony's big advantage is that PlayStation absolutely dominates the Asian market. Xbox can barely even compete there, and that's a massive audience.

sid:

Diablo1099:
Still, there would need to be twice as many consoles in order to get THAT many users.

PSN works across the PS3, 4, PSP, Vita and Sony smartphones/tablets. You can access it from any Android device too, but how well it works (or doesn't) is variable.

Xbox Live is on the 360 and Xbone.

Xbox Live accounts are free too, you just have to fork out for Gold to make them do anything useful...

Cognimancer:

Xan Krieger:

sid:

Xbox Live is free too, not everyone has Gold. Not sure whether Microsoft's count included Silver accounts or not, but it might.

Sony's big advantage is that PlayStation absolutely dominates the Asian market. Xbox can barely even compete there, and that's a massive audience.

Wait what? Alright well Xbox live is not free, online is disabled if you are silver basically cutting you out of half the game market these days. Basically its saying if you don't pay you don't play, Huge difference. You can't call it true free like the PSN which offers amazing deals if you want to pay. Its like if steam made your account only work in offline mode unless you forked out 60$ a year.

Diablo1099:

Akichi Daikashima:

sid:

...because it's free...

Not that unusual. Most people in a household want their own account so if it's a family console it can probably have an average of like 2-5 accounts.

Adultism:
Wait what? Alright well Xbox live is not free, online is disabled if you are silver basically cutting you out of half the game market these days. Basically its saying if you don't pay you don't play, Huge difference. You can't call it true free like the PSN which offers amazing deals if you want to pay. Its like if steam made your account only work in offline mode unless you forked out 60$ a year.

You're missing the point. Nobody is saying that XBL free is good, go be angry about that somewhere else. This is a discussion simply about number of accounts. The only point being made is that since you can have an XBL account without going gold (this is the case for myself), and anyone with an Xbox likely has one, the payment requirement isn't the main factor keeping the number of accounts down.

Akichi Daikashima:

Perhaps

Nope.

Only way that's going to happen is if the both next gen consoles bomb.
Badly.

I for one welcome our new Gaben overlord

Akichi Daikashima:

Perhaps

Which devs are dismissive of the market? Last I checked, even holdouts like Capcom and Square Enix are releasing PC ports. In the case of Squenix, the dev teams they assign to do said ports aren't even being lazy about it. Just check out the PC version of Tomb Raider.

romxxii:

Akichi Daikashima:

Perhaps

Which devs are dismissive of the market? Last I checked, even holdouts like Capcom and Square Enix are releasing PC ports. In the case of Squenix, the dev teams they assign to do said ports aren't even being lazy about it. Just check out the PC version of Tomb Raider.

Activision and Ubisoft mainly(in AC1-Revelations, you had to hold two buttons to sprint(rmb+space), only now do we start seeing pc exclusive features and less severe delays).

They do have a lot of pull though, and when I meant "dismissive" I meant as in, they don't see it as a large market and that most of us are scumbag pirates who would pirate every single game in existence.

I wonder how many of those Xbox Live accounts are actually PC gamers that are forced to utilize it under Games for Windows Live.

Atmos Duality:

Akichi Daikashima:

Perhaps

Nope.

Only way that's going to happen is if the both next gen consoles bomb.
Badly.

They don't have to bomb, they just have to stay as stagnant as they have been for the past 3 years which judging by their initial performance seems very likely.

aelreth:
I wonder how many of those Xbox Live accounts are actually PC gamers that are forced to utilize it under Games for Windows Live.

Probably not a lot, seeing as how GFWL is shutting down, and publishers are already migrating their games to Steam. I just got a Steam key from WB Games for Arkham City GOTY, since I bought my B:AC retail.

Akichi Daikashima:
Activision and Ubisoft mainly(in AC1-Revelations, you had to hold two buttons to sprint(rmb+space), only now do we start seeing pc exclusive features and less severe delays).

They do have a lot of pull though, and when I meant "dismissive" I meant as in, they don't see it as a large market and that most of us are scumbag pirates who would pirate every single game in existence.

Activision? They own Blizzard,who still owns a majority share of the MMO and RTS markets. Ubi, on the other hand, has relented long ago, dropping their much-reviled always-online DRM after AC:Bro-hood. Even Uplay will go offline without any issues, making it a workable -- if highly clunky -- Steam clone.

I'd say if there are any publishers who still treat PC gamers like thieves, it'd be EA. The evidence speaks for itself: the always-online component for SimCity (which they still haven't given up on), the hideous microtransactions for full-price games, their refusal to sell their games on Steam just so they can jack up prices at Origin, the stupid web browser front end for the Battlefield series. God, I hate EA. At least Ubi tries to balance out their shittery with the occasionally good game.

romxxii:

aelreth:

Probably not a lot, seeing as how GFWL is shutting down, and publishers are already migrating their games to Steam. I just got a Steam key from WB Games for Arkham City GOTY, since I bought my B:AC retail.

While I rejoice at the departure from GFWL (hopefully it won't be seen in Titanfall) our accounts still exist and are likely counted to boost confidence in shareholders.

Jadak:

Adultism:

You're missing the point. Nobody is saying that XBL free is good, go be angry about that somewhere else. This is a discussion simply about number of accounts. The only point being made is that since you can have an XBL account without going gold (this is the case for myself), and anyone with an Xbox likely has one, the payment requirement isn't the main factor keeping the number of accounts down.

Sigh, I was confused and I can see by your passive aggressiveness you are angry that I disagreed with you and still do points towards fanboyism. I was just saying I don't consider it free unless its FREE. You can disagree all day but multiplayer is part of the games package and not letting me play co-op with my buddies because I refuse to pay some money is not FREE. Calm down and think. I also once thought that paying 60$ a year to play multiplayer was a fair feature, I remember those sad naive days. I can explain it another way if you wish. Imagine you have a full packaged game with multiplayer and tons of features, but wait! Instead the makers of the console decide to lock you out of half the game and its featured content because it might be co-op related. You can go around screaming UMAD all day at people but when it comes down to it logical thought triumphs over hatred and biased opinions.

OT: Never surprised that steam is ahead. I've been following them since I was kid and will probably get their console too. I tried Xbox and got bored of it and I feel that the Xboner is a step in the wrong direction and the PS4 seems like the PS3 sooooo.

romxxii:

Akichi Daikashima:

Perhaps

Rockstar Games.

Adultism:

Sigh, I was confused and I can see by your passive aggressiveness you are angry that I disagreed with you and still do points towards fanboyism. I was just saying I don't consider it free unless its FREE. You can disagree all day but multiplayer is part of the games package and not letting me play co-op with my buddies because I refuse to pay some money is not FREE. Calm down and think. I also once thought that paying 60$ a year to play multiplayer was a fair feature, I remember those sad naive days. I can explain it another way if you wish. Imagine you have a full packaged game with multiplayer and tons of features, but wait! Instead the makers of the console decide to lock you out of half the game and its featured content because it might be co-op related. You can go around screaming UMAD all day at people but when it comes down to it logical thought triumphs over hatred and biased opinions.
[/quote]

When did you disagree with me? That was my first post in this topic. And again, to repeat myself. You have missed the point. Yes, paying for multiplayer sucks and no, that is not a relevant point in this thread as this thread is about mere quantity of accounts, not quantity of paying accounts or the quality (or lack thereof) of XBL. I'm not defending paying for XBL, I don't have an active subscription these days myself.

The only takeaway from this is that the requirement to pay does not represent the reason for XBL's lower numbers relative to Sony's (only 30mil of those 48mil XBL accounts are subscribers) , but rather the cause of that is simply a lesser number of devices as Sony has far wider variety of devices connected to PSN than just the PS3.

Most people on Xbox dont bother with the free account. If they arent going gold, they dont make it an online account at all. This is because of all the bs with linking emails, choosing unique names, etc etc.

An offline account is any name you like, made and done. So all these people saying think of all the free xbox accounts, I doubt they make up a big number.

Also I have like, 5 steam accounts all with games on it, and I know that isnt uncommon.

Elijin:
Most people on Xbox dont bother with the free account. If they arent going gold, they dont make it an online account at all. This is because of all the bs with linking emails, choosing unique names, etc etc.

An offline account is any name you like, made and done. So all these people saying think of all the free xbox accounts, I doubt they make up a big number.

Also I have like, 5 steam accounts all with games on it, and I know that isnt uncommon.

Yea, just like Sony counts their users multiple times, and Xbox Live includes the PC players forced to sign up for GFWL to use their games. Steam counts the multiple accounts made by the same people.

-that being said-

You're the first person in History I've heard of having 'five' steam accounts. Having two is pretty uncommon (The Steamfriends I know with two accounts had one of theirs VAC banned), but not unheard of. Five seems a tad ridiculous to me, why exactly?

I think I'd attribute the 30% growth to Dota2 and Planetside2. They caused a huge ammount of people to sign up for the service.

Nikolaz72:

Yea, just like Sony counts their users multiple times, and Xbox Live includes the PC players forced to sign up for GFWL to use their games. Steam counts the multiple accounts made by the same people.

-that being said-

You're the first person in History I've heard of having 'five' steam accounts. Having two is pretty uncommon (The Steamfriends I know with two accounts had one of theirs VAC banned), but not unheard of. Five seems a tad ridiculous to me, why exactly?

2 real accounts (My original CS account and then my Original HL2/CS: S account cause I was too silly to link them)

Then 3 accounts filled with overflow indie games from humble bundle and indieroyale that is a 'here use this account to play that with me' account for my younger siblings or people who dont have certain games. These 3 accounts may also have been used to trade cards and promotional items with, maybe.

Nikolaz72:

Elijin:

-that being said-

I think I'd attribute the 30% growth to Dota2 and Planetside2. They caused a huge ammount of people to sign up for the service.

Having two accounts is actually quite common in Dota 2 community (it's called smurfing I think) it allows you to be matched with less skilled players and thus crank up your win rate to 80-90%.

Cognimancer:

Gee, I wonder why. Could it be that they don't want the American knock-off of their own system? Who'd want a bad copy of the system your country does better? I dunno what Microsoft was even thinking, trying to break into the gaming biz without an original thought in their body.

Akichi Daikashima:

sid:

...because it's free...

And because PS3 is so much more popular in Japan.

romxxii:

aelreth:

Akichi Daikashima:

Activision? They own Blizzard,who still owns a majority share of the MMO and RTS markets. Ubi, on the other hand, has relented long ago, dropping their much-reviled always-online DRM after AC:Bro-hood. Even Uplay will go offline without any issues, making it a workable -- if highly clunky -- Steam clone.

I'd say if there are any publishers who still treat PC gamers like thieves, it'd be EA. The evidence speaks for itself: the always-online component for SimCity (which they still haven't given up on), the hideous microtransactions for full-price games, their refusal to sell their games on Steam just so they can jack up prices at Origin, the stupid web browser front end for the Battlefield series. God, I hate EA. At least Ubi tries to balance out their shittery with the occasionally good game.

I meant Activision, as in the movie tie-in Spiderman game and the Prototype games.

I get that they're not the devs, but they have the power to urge the devs to add in proper PC support.

Also Ubi constantly delay Assassin's Creed games, so I will not forgive them(because they say "oh were not going to delay them" and then they do anyway).

And EA usually have really good graphics customization options in their games,(Crysis 3) and Orgin, whilst not very good, is still a competitor and prevents Steam from stagnating the market.

Elijin:

While having a smurf for certain f2p games is not that uncommon I doubt that having 5 accounts is anything but uncommon.

james.sponge:
Having two accounts is actually quite common in Dota 2 community (it's called smurfing I think) it allows you to be matched with less skilled players and thus crank up your win rate to 80-90%.

Dafuq?! What's wrong with people?

Anyway, great for Valve! I really like Steam and I hope they will be even more successful in future with SteamOS and the SteamMachines comming. :)

We rise. The PC master race is coming for you, and you can not do anything to stop us. We will devour you and use you as energy sources to power our circuts. You will become one with the machine and we will play you.
Viva la Hive Mind Steam!

Okay, seriusly, this was around long time ago already. Steam has more users than Xbox. Steam has more active users (logins at least once a week) than Sony as well. Registered accounts mean nothing, i can create 20 spam accounts and boost escapist registered accounts numbers. what matters are active accounts, and that is where Steam has been leading already.

Capcha: White as snow
Its PC master Race, not Arian race you silly capcha.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here