Norwegian Film Institute Funds New Game From Dreamfall Chapters Dev

Norwegian Film Institute Funds New Game From Dreamfall Chapters Dev

Draugen

Red Thread Games will get a $144,000 grant towards Draugen, a survival horror game which draws heavily on Norway's landscape and mythology.

If you ever thought to yourself that the main thing missing from survival horror games these days is fjords, the Norwegian Film Institute agrees with you. They've just delivered a grant worth $144,000 to Red Thread Games, based out of Oslo, to help them develop their new survival-horror game Draugen, which is set during the 1920s in the landscape of western Norway.

Joking aside, the setting for Draugen actually sounds like an interesting break from the outbreak of zombie-themed horror games on the market. The first-person game casts you as an American nature photographer, botanist and entomologist who "delves into into the deepest, darkest secrets of a remote fishing community where every single soul has mysteriously vanished," according to Red Thread's website. The story draws heavily from Scandinavian fairy tales and Norse myths, and guessing from the game's description that seems to include things like strange little girls singing broken lullabies and a mysterious, black-garbed woman.

And for those interested, a "Draugen," according to Red Thread Games, is a mythological Norse creature, similar to a ghost but with a physical body, that usually resides in watery graves guarding buried treasures and secrets. The game is currently set for release on PC, Mac, Linux and next-generation consoles. No release date was listed on the developer's website.

Red Thread Games has assured fans that Draugen, composed of a new team within the company, won't interrupt progress on their upcoming game Dreamfall Chapters. That title took in approximately $1.5 million on Kickstarter earlier this year, well above its $850,000 asking price. Dreamfall Chapters is due in November 2014.

Source: Red Thread Games via Silconera

Red Thread Games? Wait, these are failcom folks...

Well then, new company for tax evasion is it? Good luck anyhow.

It seems we've traveled way beyond De tre bukkene Bruse. We're through the looking glass, people!

Honestly, I'm looking forward to this.

leffi3:

What the f...

Ragnar Tørnquist is one of, if not the best writer in gaming, he left Funcom and founded this company on his own. Whatever sour grapes and ulcers you have over Anarchy or AoC does not in any way entitle you to mock and slander a f***ing legend who had very little to no involvement with those two games' shortcomings!

Rob Robson:

leffi3:

What the f...

Ragnar Tørnquist is one of, if not the best writer in gaming, he left Funcom and founded this company on his own. Whatever sour grapes and ulcers you have over Anarchy or AoC does not in any way entitle you to mock and slander a f***ing legend who had very little to no involvement with those two games' shortcomings!

Ignore him. He's just trying to get a rise out of people.

OT: Interesting premise. I'll keep an eye up to see how it turns out and wish them the best of luck. Though I didn't know our film institute granted money to game devs... I guess that just goes to show how commonplace gaming has become over here.

Can't wait for Dreamfall: Chapters, but that doesn't necessarily mean I am automatically excited for a new game by the studio. Let's wait and see how Dreamfall: Chapters shapes up first before throwing ourselves at everything the studio puts out.

Though I am cautiously optimistic thanks to Ragnar being a legitimate game developer legend.

Anyone else reminded of the opening act to The Secret World with this new game?

Should be the first game to ever feature west Norway and Norwegian mythology together, and I live there so that's pretty cool really. I always thought it could make for a great horror setting, but I guess that might just be because I grew up with those tales and what scared me as a kid kinda stuck with me X3.

I always found "nøkken" to be the creepiest one though, my dad would always scare me with stories about that thing X3.

I really hope they put Do-draugen in there. Just to mess with the heads of everyone who don't know what it is.

Well. Funny, because last time i heard from Norwegian film institute they said that video games wasn't something they would touch. Why the change of heart? Did your last big project(Victoria)not intrigue it's audience like you hoped (it was awful). i bet the only reason they did this was to be invited to Spillexpo[1] next week.

[1] Norwegian games expo

Halyah:
Though I didn't know our film institute granted money to game devs... I guess that just goes to show how commonplace gaming has become over here.

I think they started doing it in 2005, back then they only gave out 2 million NOK a year for games, but since the industry is one of growth while the movie industry (at least here) is in somewhat of a decline, their funds to give to game devs have increased.

Rob Robson:

Halyah:
Though I didn't know our film institute granted money to game devs... I guess that just goes to show how commonplace gaming has become over here.

I think they started doing it in 2005, back then they only gave out 2 million NOK a year for games, but since the industry is one of growth while the movie industry (at least here) is in somewhat of a decline, their funds to give to game devs have increased.

2005? I have to admit I haven't heard of that one, but I never paid them any attention either so I'd easily miss such information. Should probably keep my eyes and ears a bit more open in regards to my own country's gaming stuff. Bit embarassing to miss stuff like this. >.>'

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here