Extra Life Charity Site Hit By DDoS Attack - UPDATED

Extra Life Charity Site Hit By DDoS Attack - UPDATED

The Extra Life website has been brought down by a DDoS attack, meaning that donations to the game-based charity event for kids cannot be taken.

Extra Life is a simple but very cool idea: Gamers raise money for Children's Miracle Network Hospitals by taking pledges and then playing games - videogames, board games, tabletop miniatures, whatever - marathon-style, for 25 solid hours. The event began at 8 am today, November 2, and ends at 8 am on November 3, a 25-hour stretch thanks to the end of Daylight Savings Time.

Unfortunately, the Extra Life site is not currently available, which means that pledges cannot be taken, because somebody saw fit to launch a distributed denial of service (DDoS) attack against it. "I am so sorry that you are going through this frustration today. Our entire team is purely heartbroken that someone would do this. But it has happened," Jeremy "Doc" Adams wrote on the Extra Life Facebook page.

"As frustrating as this is for everyone involved, it pales in comparison to what the kids we're trying to save go through. That reality, for me personally, is about the only thing keeping me somewhat calm right now," he continued. "I am very angry and very sorry. You deserve better than this. The kids deserve better than this. Extra Life has given a lot of us some of the happiest moments in our lives. This is not one of those moments."

Adams asked that supporters "please hang with us through this," as they are working to get the site back up as quickly as possible. We'll update as soon as we hear more, and you can also keep up to date with events on Twitter.

UPDATE: Extra Life is back. Do a solid for sick kids at extra-life.org.

But... why?

Some people just deserve to be crucified by their thumbs. Upside-down. While dangling over a massive fire.

Why? What message could you possibly want to make by doing this?

DDoS attacks usually smack of flimsy justifications to me, but there is absolutely no excuse for this one other than shooting for "colossal shithead" status.

Wow-- I...

Wow.

I'll make sure to get a donation in when things are back up and running.

Ahh part of me just finds this hilarious. Let's play the conspiracy game! What if they didn't get hit by a DDOS but people just wanted them to take their money en masse? Thus they made this up on twitter to make news and thus get more donations!

GENIUS!

Also face value journalism FTW!

Planning on participating for this next weekend at a college event. Really hope this doesn't happen again.

This is just impossible to understand why anyone would do this. If it was for infamy, I feel they would of revealed themselves by now.

What the Hell? Why?!

DDoSing a company website I can rationalize. DDoSing a government portal, I can see some people doing. DDoSing file-sharing portals is something I can wrap my head around in a certain capacity. Fuck, I even saw trolls back in my high school days, who used to DDoS the shitty Geocities pages of unpopular kids with weird interests or opinions!

This, though? Why? What is there to gain from this? Hacker cred? Money? Fuck, even if I were some sort of storied and recognized Black Hat type, I'd find this beneath me.

Ten to one it's just some douchebag Script Kiddie with too much talent and not enough brains.

Tenmar:

I think the quoted sources would have enough honesty and savvy to realize that their datacenter couldn't take more than X amount of pledge or donation requests. I honestly doubt this is just a server overload being misrepresented as an attack.

This is the lowest of the low. I find this to be completely reprehensible that someone would disable a charity's website during a charity drive like this. I'm not one to wish death or illness on people. But I would find it all too appropriate for the person or people behind this to be diagnosed with cancer in the future.

Games and gamers are too often associated with negative traits and stories. Often those are erroneous. So I applaud groups like Extra Life and Child's Play that do good in the world. And they should get much more press than any of the other stories we see all too often.

Tenmar:
Ahh part of me just finds this hilarious. Let's play the conspiracy game! What if they didn't get hit by a DDOS but people just wanted them to take their money en masse? Thus they made this up on twitter to make news and thus get more donations!

GENIUS!

I won't say what I really want to say to you.

Instead, I will say that Extra Life was given some exposure via news sites in the previous days. It may not have been much, but they were acknowledged and their efforts were made known. I'm certain that the organizers had never done anything so dishonest in the past as lie about something like this in the past. There is no reason to assume they would now.

Remember last Guy Fawkes day (or the one before that), someone vandalised a website for a charity dealing with disabled kids, cause they wanted to stick it to the man or whatever?

Well this is one of the scummiest things I've seen in a while. I can sometimes see the justification for some DDoS attacks but there isn't any for this.

Hopefully, the news of this being hits at least helps to bring awareness of Extra Life to more people.

thaluikhain:
Remember last Guy Fawkes day (or the one before that), someone vandalised a website for a charity dealing with disabled kids, cause they wanted to stick it to the man or whatever?

It's not even "stick it to the man", it's "hurr hur, look how hardcore I am screwing with people who try to help others, I'm totally a bro".

There are some people so useless that hampering the hard work of others is the only difference they can make in the world.

The Rogue Wolf:

thaluikhain:

It's not even "stick it to the man", it's "hurr hur, look how hardcore I am screwing with people who try to help others, I'm totally a bro".

There are some people so useless that hampering the hard work of others is the only difference they can make in the world.

Oh sure, that's why they did it, but they did it as part of Anonymous's attack on dodgy companies, pretending there was some moral high ground to be had. A day either way, and no pics of Guy Fawkes masks wouldn't have been so hypocritical.

Well, this is going to cause a surge in donations.

Maybe that was the plan all along!

Also, for what it's worth, it's unlikely these guys have their own data centre, they're likely sharing it with some other service that was the target of a DDoS, and were hit by locality.

Either they did it themselves to spark pity donations or there really exist someone so pathetic that they would DDOS a charity site for sick children.

I am leaning towards the first because I can understand shameless acts in the name of charity. I cannot accept the fact there exist a neckbeard basement dweller that goes around bombing charities.

I heard that it was done because chris-chan was participating in the stream it was probably some W3 a3r l3g10n 1337 H4XXOR thinking that they could be funny by trolling the charity since it got a lot of publicity on 4chan.

Saltyk:
snip

How about learn to take a joke? Also to be fair I do lament that most news now taken at face value when outrage occurs without any sort of evidence or investigation where we can get some facts. I mean a guy can only watch so much news and see on the field reporters basically have nothing to really report when they should be questioning and investigating what happened. I mean even the Daily show makes skits and lectures where ya just want to facepalm.

But hey, if you want to say what you want to say go for it. I don't really care all that much.

1337mokro:
Either they did it themselves to spark pity donations or there really exist someone so pathetic that they would DDOS a charity site for sick children.

I am leaning towards the first because I can understand shameless acts in the name of charity. I cannot accept the fact there exist a neckbeard basement dweller that goes around bombing charities.

You honestly can't accept there would be such a person in a world that has a history of genocidal maniacs and psychopaths? I mean it could be a stunt to raise more awareness of the site via media, but with no actual evidence to show that is the case I will go with it being a horrible person that just likes screwing with people because they can... It could be possible that this warped person that did the attack had the opposite intention of actually helping the site via just getting it more media attention, but that is still screwed up logic to me...

As a severe cynic: one does have to wonder if this was to gain free publicity on news sites.

Are we sure it was an intentional attack? It's possible it was a Friendly Hug Of Death from a suddenly influx of attention from another site. I don't know how much traffic the site was designed to handle, but I've seen enough sites go down due to a Reddit Hug of Death to know it's possible.

I'm going to withhold judgement until I hear from the hacker's perspective. Who knows, maybe someone discovered some shady redirection of charity funds, and someone's fighting back the only way that know how.

Another reminder that as much faith as you can have in the inherent decency of humanity, there are d-bags that screw it up for everyone.

Wow, even /v/ is shocked and appalled. I guess when even 4chan considers something being low, it really is.

insert "Some men just wanna watch the world burn" joke here

thaluikhain:

but it's only the second.

I doubt anyone, no wait, yes. If someone is stupid enough to not know when Guy Fawkes day is, then they would be stupid enough to DDoS a charity.

OT: I know a couple of people who do 'hack' every now and then, but namely for fun and never intending to do any damage.

Unless you count nearly five gigabytes of .txt files hidden in your system that only say "hey, want to go to the Mall next weekend?".

yea, kind of an annoyance, but it's hilarious sometimes.

But even to them there is a unspoken rule, dont fuck with charities, dont fuck with websites that help people.

A number of collectives follow similar rules. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say it's a bunch of script kiddies who want to pretend to be real hackers.

DDoS'ing anything doesn't require any skill. Hell, there are executables that will do it for you. Even then if you dont know how to install a program, smashing F5 does the same thing [yet easier to trace, unless you are behind seven proxies with Norton installed].

Seriously, these guys are shitbags for not only going after a charity, but a charity for sick kids.

Looks like either somone typed in a wrong IP adress or the site pretended to be DDoSed to gain publicity and shame hackers because "omg hackers o evil because big brother said so".
Well that or somone went mad :D

Do we have any proof that the site was ddosed by actual people and not just some random guy trying his ddosing software on site with 0 protection? becuase untill we do ill consider this a publicity stunt as it is.

VanTesla:

1337mokro:

You honestly can't accept there would be such a person in a world that has a history of genocidal maniacs and psychopaths? I mean it could be a stunt to raise more awareness of the site via media, but with no actual evidence to show that is the case I will go with it being a horrible person that just likes screwing with people because they can... It could be possible that this warped person that did the attack had the opposite intention of actually helping the site via just getting it more media attention, but that is still screwed up logic to me...

What I can't accept is the randomness. If this like happened to one charity everyday or a string of charities with one down every day then sure. However it was just THIS charity and not a single other one that got reported. So to me it seems like a random attack. It could also be a guy with a personal vendetta against the charity but not that someone woke up one day and said let's bomb one single random charity site.

I can accept premeditated serial douchebaggery or vendettas but random douchebaggery is very rare and a sign of serious decay.

"If complete strangers start murdering other complete strangers then we have truly failed as a society."

1337mokro:

You could be right about the first part, since it seems logical... but then we live in a world where people can actually do things that will never make sense to anyone. For example, when that man gunned down people in the Dark Knight Rises movie theater in Colorado, there was absolutely no reason for it. What was there to gain for shooting people for simply watching a movie?

Or the 20 year old who went to the Connecticut elementary school and killed twenty seven people, including twenty children. There is no logic, no sense of humanity behind their actions. It's for personal reasons that cannot be met with logic. Even as of today, there are people who do not care to gain anything but cause destruction in their wake. It can be for them wanting attention, or wanting to inflict pain on a particular race, gender, religious group, or just people regardless of what.

It's scary really.. we want to understand their reasons and try to consider what's logical has to be true but, in the end... when we find out the truth that they really just did it because they hate the sick and wish to punish them for existing... it's deeply disturbing.

OT: I'm glad the website is back up. No one should ever have something happen to them for doing good things. Those sick children deserve the best and even if I wasn't into gaming, the gamers are clearly being awesome for coming up with this concept. I just hope something like this never happens again.

I've never heard of Extra Life before.

I guess I'll do something cool for it. Like making lobster thermidor while upside down without using my thumb, while also playing Guitaru Man on a PS2 controller made of cat shit.

...What? Why would you even?

*sigh* I just feel sick thinking about it...

Clearly the 4chan generation of complete and total wastes of air are out to 'teach the man a lesson' again while waving around their Guy Fawkes masks and patting each other on the backs.

Fucking pathetic.

I hope Extra Life gets record breaking donations BECAUSE of the publicity this causes. And to the cynics above me, even if this was somehow orchestrated to gain publicity and more donations... Good! It's a charity to help sick kids, it's not like your donation is going into some fat-cat's grubby mitts who sits cackling in a 140th floor office in Dubai.

AldUK:
Clearly the 4chan generation of complete and total wastes of air are out to 'teach the man a lesson' again while waving around their Guy Fawkes masks and patting each other on the backs.

Fucking pathetic.

I hope Extra Life gets record breaking donations BECAUSE of the publicity this causes. And to the cynics above me, even if this was somehow orchestrated to gain publicity and more donations... Good! It's a charity to help sick kids, it's not like your donation is going into some fat-cat's grubby mitts who sits cackling in a 140th floor office in Dubai.

Actually 4chan was just as disgusted by this as we were.

MrMan999:

Actually 4chan was just as disgusted by this as we were.

That's sad that 4chan isn't even the worst the internet has to offer. I don't see Anon doing something like this either. No, this is probably one or a few determined scumbags.

AldUK:

SO i guess if a fireman would fake his own murder, then blame someone else for it which would get the man jailed, and would receive a lot of praise for it, it would be all well, because after all hes a fireman, not some murderer, and lets just ignore that he pretty much accused a innocent person of murder, right?

You know, this kind of thinking is how the "fat-cats" are born.

Chaosritter:
Wow, even /v/ is shocked and appalled. I guess when even 4chan considers something being low, it really is.

But that's a good thing. 4chan has been known, on the very rare occasions that they find something to be despicable even by their standards, to band together to find the cunts responsible and hand them over to the relevant authorities. Because, as much as I'm sure they'd like to do something even worse to them, when you're guilty of something this bad, there's really nothing 4chan can do to you that's worse than getting thrown into jail AND having your identity revealed to the entire country on the national news.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here