PocketStation Games Coming Back in Japanese Vita App

PocketStation Games Coming Back in Japanese Vita App

A long-forgotten PS One peripheral is getting a new lease on life through the Vita.

Software for the PocketStation, a Japanese companion device for the original PlayStation, is coming back as a PlayStation Vita app. The announcement comes two weeks after a bizarre teaser suggested that something PocketStation-related would be coming soon.

The app, which is available today, comes free with a PlayStation Plus subscription, comes with a few of the device's original games, including Crash Bandicoot 3, Mega Man and Ape Escape. The app is currently for PS Plus members only, but will be available region-wide December 3, along with the app's first post-launch release, Dokodemo Issho.

Similar to the Sega Dreamcast VMU, the PocketStation was basically a memory card with a small screen. Its games came packed in with disc-based PS One titles. The device also featured a clock and supported wireless data-swapping via infrared. Though initially popular, the PocketStation had a relatively short lifespan: Sony shut down production in 2002, just three years after the device first launched.

Source: PlayStation Japan via Polygon

If they do this they need to find a way to sink it to FF9 so we can raise our Chocobo summon. It was fun tho I imported a few pocket stations a few years ago, Exactly like a VMU.

I got a taste of this when i downloaded the PSX shmup 'Shienryu' for the PS Vita. There's a pocket station game included in that download.

It's really nothing more than a gimmick. I'm not sure why Sony would waste their time, considering you can do so much more with portables these days(?)

Shame I can't use it to get Dabas' Shiny Bag in Legend of Dragoon. :/

Pretty neat though, if not totally gimmicky.

If I recall correctly, the only practical use this thing had in the states was to acquire another Magic Lamp in FFVIII if you were foolish enough to sell it.

I think there was something involving Chocobos for FFIX, but honestly I think there are still people out there that bought the game on launch and are still not finished with all the side quests, so that may be unconfirmed.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here