Rambo Gameplay Trailer Evokes Memories Of a Different Era

Rambo Gameplay Trailer Evokes Memories Of a Different Era

The new Rambo The Video Game trailer features explosive gun-shooting action that has to be seen to be believed.

I really don't know what to say about this. I normally try to stay optimistic about upcoming games, but I'm not sure I can maintain the mask for Rambo The Video Game. For one thing, it looks like it's an on-rails shooter, which is never good; for another, it looks like an on-rails shooter for the PS2, which is much, much worse.

Craig Lewis of publisher Reef Entertainment promised in 2011 that Rambo would be a "triple-A" game and establish the company as "a worldwide player," but I'm starting to think that was perhaps a bit of an optimistic view. I said earlier this year that any game where you can drive a knife through a dude's neck and shoot a guy so much that he literally explodes is an okay game by me, but now I'm not so sure. I pumped a lot of quarters into Operation Wolf back in the day, but that doesn't mean I'm looking forward to more of it.

Rambo The Video Game is, based on currently-available preorder options, being developed for the PC, PS3 and Xbox 360 and is expected to come out, based on YouTube comments, in early 2014.

Andy Chalk:
**snip**

I would have mentioned the glaring clipping bug involving the chopper becoming a sand-shark at 1:12 in the video. Hilariously bad game from the looks of it, maybe will get cult status as a "so-bad-its-good" game... or just get tossed in the crapper next to Too Human and X-Men Destiny.

amaranth_dru:

Andy Chalk:
**snip**

I would have mentioned the glaring clipping bug involving the chopper becoming a sand-shark at 1:12 in the video. Hilariously bad game from the looks of it, maybe will get cult status as a "so-bad-its-good" game... or just get tossed in the crapper next to Too Human and X-Men Destiny.

Judging by the size of the hair, I think we have another Aquaman on our hands.

Wow, looking at those on-rail shooting sections, it's almost like I'm back in my youth playing House of the Dead or Virtua Cop in the arcades. Though without the fond memories of those same games. I think I'll pass, then.

The hell...?

On the other hand, if it's gonna be something different than another of squad-based 'modern military shooters', well I'd welcome it. I'd really like a shooter which is at least a bit different than the neverending avalanche of spunkgargleweewees, even if it ends up worse.

I still can't imagine First Blood in videogame form. Did you know the book is better than the movie by the way?

W T F?!! No, just no. While I give them Rambo II and III, nowhere in First Blood do you mow down cops with a machine gun or whatever that low-rez monstrosity was. First Blood was pretty dark.

This looks like shit and it's mocking one of my favorite movies.

mechalynx:
W T F?!!...nowhere in First Blood do you mow down cops with a machine gun or whatever that low-rez monstrosity was. First Blood was pretty dark.

I'm in the same camp, wasn't First Blood more about the wars of Vietnam and a guy who couldn't let it go, so a game is made to bring all that back, thereby missing the whole damn point of that movie?

I haven't seen all of First Blood, but it was entertaining of what I watched. I feel kind of insulted that a game would be made, but then again, World War II has been exploited enough, perhaps following Vietnam is the entire next logical step, I assume.

Anyway, I won't be playing this. I'm not married to Rambo, but I don't want to see this game in my sight.

shogunblade:

mechalynx:
W T F?!!...nowhere in First Blood do you mow down cops with a machine gun or whatever that low-rez monstrosity was. First Blood was pretty dark.

I'm in the same camp, wasn't First Blood more about the wars of Vietnam and a guy who couldn't let it go, so a game is made to bring all that back, thereby missing the whole damn point of that movie?

I haven't seen all of First Blood, but it was entertaining of what I watched. I feel kind of insulted that a game would be made, but then again, World War II has been exploited enough, perhaps following Vietnam is the entire next logical step, I assume.

Anyway, I won't be playing this. I'm not married to Rambo, but I don't want to see this game in my sight.

It's more about a Vietnam Veteran wanting to order some pie at the local diner, but the local sheriff doesn't like him because he looks like a transient or a homeless person.

Cue Rambo going into all out war mode against some midwestern police officers.

Which could of been entirely avoided if the Sheriff had just let Rambo buy a god damned slice of pie.

OT: ...... I'm confused, didn't support for the Xbox and the PS2 stop about a year after the 360 and PS3 got released?

Why is a studio making a game for such old hardware?

..... it's for this current gen, you say?

... who let these guys make a game?

Kind of funny, I was just thinking to myself I'd like to see another House of the Dead / Area 51 / Any other arcade rail shooter. But I was thinking of it as a fun project someone might throw together in Unity and put online. Not something trying to pass itself off as an actual game.

It's like my homie Switch always says: "Not like this. Not like this."

This looks bad, like REALLY REALLY REALLY bad.

Like those knockoff bargain bin video games you see with names like 'Petz' or whatever.

Given that Rocky exists, and that it got positive reviews, it's kind of expected for a new Rambo game to come out - there might be a small chance that this might be rather good. However, I do have to admit that an on-rails shooter would be better off for a phone or tablet game, and not as a console or PC game.

Well, at the very least I suppose the graphics could make us feel nostalgic about the PS2.
All those explosions made me remember how much I loved the first movie, and not the others.

I think It look alright gameplay and graphic wise, look it in spirit of sqeual and maybe I just have poor eye when comes to graphics. You know funny thing I read the book True Blood John Rambo dies at the end. There should not 80s pop icon thanks Hollywood.

Guys, I think we just found a possible replacement for Desert Bus for the worst game ever.

Let's Let's Play the hell out of it for Charity!

amaranth_dru:

Andy Chalk:
**snip**

I would have mentioned the glaring clipping bug involving the chopper becoming a sand-shark at 1:12 in the video.

Think about this, not only is it part of a cutscene, that is footage SPECIFICALLY SELECTED to be in a trailer. These people think that chopper is worthy enough to show how GREAT this game is. Think about the crap that they AREN'T showing you.

OT: Seriously, was this made on a budget of some kids lunch money? You couldn't even afford to have the players move around and see that everything not in direct sight hasn't been modeled?

It does remind me of fond HOTD 2 and 3 memories. But it looks awful, like seriously, my cat's dinner looks more appealing than this game.

This is the only Rambo you need :P

mechalynx:
W T F?!! No, just no. While I give them Rambo II and III, nowhere in First Blood do you mow down cops with a machine gun or whatever that low-rez monstrosity was. First Blood was pretty dark.

My thoughts exactly, in First Blood Rambo only kills like 1 person and with a rock, so of course it should be an FPS.

As for the PS2 graphics? Whatever. Actually some of the forest scenes didn't look too bad. Then again I'm watching them through a 480p Youtube window, not fullscreen on my monitor.

Wow. I mean... wow. This being made by a present day professional gaming company? We're not being punked?

This is just... all I can say is wow. Let's bury it next to Aliens: Colonial Marines and never speak of it again.

i did laugh when i saw it includes rambo 3.. where rambo defeats the evil soviet army in afghanistan and helps create alquada and the taliban

What's really making me laugh is that, in the 'First Blood' part when he's gunning down the various Deputies, for anyone who has actually seen "First Blood", you'd know that one of the ironic aspects of the film is that Rambo doesn't purposefully kill anyone.

Not G. Ivingname:

Think about this, not only is it part of a cutscene, that is footage SPECIFICALLY SELECTED to be in a trailer. These people think that chopper is worthy enough to show how GREAT this game is. Think about the crap that they AREN'T showing you.

Or a slightly different spin: if this is the best they could scrape up, imagine how bad it must be.

Ihateregistering1:
What's really making me laugh is that, in the 'First Blood' part when he's gunning down the various Deputies, for anyone who has actually seen "First Blood", you'd know that one of the ironic aspects of the film is that Rambo doesn't purposefully kill anyone.

I think there is one death, and it was a guy falling out of a helicopter and it was the guy's own fault.

Red X:
This is the only Rambo you need :P

I am sorry to save, but that looks a LOT better than this. :/

Ihateregistering1:

This is the video game biz. Everything is turned into a shooter. A game about Martin Luther King would have him strafing Sheriffs down the streets of towns in Alabama, an AK-47 in each hand while clips of his speech echoed "free at last...."

Not G. Ivingname:

I am sorry to save, but that looks a LOT better than this. :/

At least he gets to fight...Aliens?

Not G. Ivingname:

Ihateregistering1:

I think there is one death, and it was a guy falling out of a helicopter and it was the guy's own fault.

Like I said, he doesn't kill anyone on purpose, but it's ironic because we think of Rambo as being the stereotypical 80's action hero who somehow kills 600 bad guys single-handedly in each movie, but in the first film he kills MAYBE 1 person.

shogunblade:

Yeah, the game is definitely more in line with the sequels than with First Blood, which was also fundamentally different than the sequels: Lots of action, lots of violence, but it was really more of a protest movie about the fundamentally shitty treatment given to Vietnam vets throughout the 70s and 80s. It's a message that's easily lost amidst all the sound and fury (and buried by the sequels) but as others have pointed out, Rambo really didn't kill anyone in the first movie - he lashed out against a system that simultaneously rejected and oppressed him but he wasn't a murderous character.

I have never seen the first Rambo movie, but it seems a bit off that he is mowing down police men with a machine gun. Wasn't the movie more like some kind of Drama?
The rest of the trailer looks like some kind of parody, reminds me more of "Hot Shots Part Deux" or this one scene from UHF. This game is meant to be serious, not a parody, or am I wrong?

So ten quid after a week then?

fractal_butterfly:
I have never seen the first Rambo movie, but it seems a bit off that he is mowing down police men with a machine gun. Wasn't the movie more like some kind of Drama?

your quite right, it was all about how the veterans were treated badly when they returned after the war. He killed one person, and that wasn't a deliberate murder. In the original script Rambo committed suicide at the end.

Looks like a cross between Duke Nukem and Ride to hell or a really bad mod of Far Cry's engine.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here