Marvel Comics Reveals New Ms. Marvel

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Marvel Comics Reveals New Ms. Marvel

The latest hero to take up the Ms. Marvel mantle is Kamala Khan, a teenage Muslim girl living in Jersey City.

Marvel superhero Ms. Marvel, known more mundanely as Carol Danvers, took on the name Captain Marvel in July 2012 in a new ongoing series by writer Kelly Sue DeConnick and artist Dexter Soy. However, the mantle of Ms. Marvel will not remain empty for long. Yesterday, Marvel Comics announced a new standalone Ms. Marvel title coming in February. The lead character will be Kamala Khan, a devoted teenage fan of Danvers who takes on the name Ms. Marvel after discovering body-morphing powers. The young Muslim woman, a Pakistani-American growing up in Jersey City, is Marvel's first Muslim character to get an ongoing solo series.

Marvel editors Sana Amanat and Steve Wacker told The New York Times that Khan began in a conversation they had about growing up. Amanat says, "I was telling [Wacker] some crazy anecdote about my childhood, growing up as Muslim-American. He found it hilarious." Series writer G. Willow Wilson, a convert to Islam, was eager to sign on for the title. In an interview with The New York Times, Wilson says that the series is "about the universal experience of all American teenagers, feeling isolated and finding what they are [...] through the lens of being a Muslim-American." An in-depth Q&A with Wilson and Amanat about the new series was posted today by Marvel.

Marvel Comics' continuing effort to diversify its heroes includes highlighting female and minority leads in the Mighty Avengers and X-Men series. Female heroes She-Hulk and Elektra will also get solo series next year. An alternative take on Spider-Man this year featured black Hispanic teenager Miles Morales in the iconic costume instead of Peter Parker. Speaking on the success of Morales, Axel Alonso, editor in chief of Marvel Entertainment, tells The New York Times, "When you see Spider-Man strip down his mask and he looks like you, you are more inspired to pick up that book."

If you ask me, more people reading comics is always a good thing, and given that DC Comics keeps on putting its foot in its mouth, Marvel is looking pretty good right now.

Source: Marvel Comics via The New York Times

Really hope that is all concept art cause not really liking the style or the costume. Really wish I could offer more but given the content it's just...not that good looking.

This sounds really awesome! I think the idea of a Pakistani-American protagonist lends a really unique perspective, I bet with Wilson onboard this will be something worth watching.
And of course more diversity is always a good thing and if any medium needs more diversity it's comics.

Nice to see that they're branching out a bit. The costume is a little sloppy looking though. Still, let batwoman have her wedding!

Tenmar:
Really hope that is all concept art cause not really liking the style or the costume. Really wish I could offer more but given the content it's just...not that good looking.

Yeah, I took one look at those images and shook my head.

They just look terrible...I really hope for something better otherwise I have a feeling this is just going to flop.

Desert Punk:

Tenmar:

They just look terrible...I really hope for something better otherwise I have a feeling this is just going to flop.

Really? You guys don't like it? I think the designs look pretty nice. I think the characters all look realistic and relatable, and to me the costume doesn't look bad at all.

bazaalmon:
Nice to see that they're branching out a bit. Still, let batwoman have her wedding!

Erm, that's DC who are against lesbian marriage. This is a Marvel series.

I've got to agree that the artwork looks a bit shit and I'm not really keen on the idea too. I mean, is she going to stop being a hero to pray 5 times a day and then get stoned to death for daring to be an independant woman rather than a domestic slave and baby producing machine? Also why does that hedgehog have Hulk hands (holy aliteration Batman!)?

New Frontiersman:

Desert Punk:

Tenmar:

Really? You guys don't like it? I think the designs look pretty nice. I think the characters all look realistic and relatable, and to me the costume doesn't look bad at all.

I liked the first pic, but the second and third were just...no. to me the uniform colors in three just look bad together, it would be hard to enjoy reading comic strips with that uniform.

I'm sure this will result in reasonable and calm reaction from the usual suspects like FOX.

She ain't got shit on burka avenger.

CriticalMiss:

bazaalmon:
Nice to see that they're branching out a bit. Still, let batwoman have her wedding!

I'm not really going to try and defend most of DCs recent creative and business decisions, but ill point it its less to do with being against lesbian marriage and more that they still ascribe to the (wrong) thinking that romance stories lose all tension and interest when the two tie the knot. No one was allowed stay married going into the New 52 (except Animal Man, of which being a Family Man superhero was one of his main 'things', which didnt stop them from breaking him up since anyway) and no one has gotten married.

Edit: Wouldnt have been my first pic for a muslim female solo

I just want more M16...

Also a side note. Her powers? Hey nothing to knock at but honestly she could be a super hero of her own instead of taking up the mantle of Ms.Marvel. Especially when said powers of this upcoming character has no relation or even match that of the original Ms.Marvel. May not have to be a clone but still it's like they are just using a brand name to get people to buy while also getting good rapport for being politically correct(I really couldn't find another word to describe the reason why a person's race should be the selling point as a superhero). Hope that fault lies on the marketing department and not the team that got to recreate Ms.Marvel.

EDIT: Anyone else notice that the father's hands were closer in size to that of Ms.Marvel using her body morphing ability? Hell put him in that outfit and Mr.Marvel away :P

You know what, I don't even have the energy anymore. And God knows if I say anything I'd probably get a warning for it, so I'll just quietly facepalm until I'm concussed.

Yeah the color's are throwing me off a bit.. Yellow and purple look alright but that red under thing? she's got on doesn't mesh well with the scheme I think. Though again it might not be quite as off putting on plain paper (that off manilia colorish color might be skewing the way my eyes look at the rest of the colors.) or if they take the design to a more standardized style (like the 1st image). All in all I like the idea of it. Might have to find where my local comic book place moved to and swipe a copy when it comes out..

Tenmar:

EDIT: Anyone else notice that the father's hands were closer in size to that of Ms.Marvel using her body morphing ability? Hell put him in that outfit and Mr.Marvel away :P

Re looking at the pic...what the hell is that lizard/goblin thing with the fez at the lower right of the picture behind the white dudes legs?! :P

edgecult:
Yeah the color's are throwing me off a bit.. Yellow and purple look alright but that red under thing? she's got on doesn't mesh well with the scheme I think. Though again it might not be quite as off putting on plain paper (that off manilia colorish color might be skewing the way my eyes look at the rest of the colors.) or if they take the design to a more standardized style (like the 1st image). All in all I like the idea of it. Might have to find where my local comic book place moved to and swipe a copy when it comes out..

Well yellow and purple are actually color complements. So if you wanted both colors to strike the most attention you would use them together. But the pinkish red though...yeah that's the part along with the scarf that is throwing it all off along with the kind of dress the top is designed.

It looks like they are trying a triad complement but then you'd fall out of the purple and turn that into a blue instead. Of course this is going off the base assumption that yellow is the starting point and not the purple. To which in that case in a triad scheme you would be using purple, green and yellow.

Also one of my fun little websites to visit from time to time.

http://colorschemedesigner.com/

EDIT: I'd say honestly it looks like they are trying too hard by bringing her "ethnic"(don't really know what else to call it) attire into the super hero clothing. Which honestly should be where the disconnect begins and you should just look to the super hero as the super hero. With very few notable exceptions IE Captain America.

Tenmar:

edgecult:

Well yellow and purple are actually color complements. So if you wanted both colors to strike the most attention you would use them together. But the pinkish red though...yeah that's the part along with the scarf that is throwing it all off along with the kind of dress the top is designed.

It looks like they are trying a triad complement but then you'd fall out of the purple and turn that into a blue instead. Of course this is going off the base assumption that yellow is the starting point and not the purple. To which in that case in a triad scheme you would be using purple, green and yellow.

Also one of my fun little websites to visit from time to time.

http://colorschemedesigner.com/

That is a useful site! Interestingly it does seem that if her tights underh er dress were a darker gold or green it would look much better

http://colorschemedesigner.com/#4y31Tw0w0w0w0

CriticalMiss:
...get stoned to death for daring to be an independant woman rather than a domestic slave and baby producing machine?

This sort of thing is perhaps why it needs to exist.

Desert Punk:

That is a useful site! Interestingly it does seem that if her tights underh er dress were a darker gold or green it would look much better

http://colorschemedesigner.com/#4y31Tw0w0w0w0

Yeah it's a good site to use if you ever want to just want certain colors to stand out.

But on second looking at least when I play with that wheel that if you take a look at what they call accented analogic. The color scheme makes much more sense. Still don't really see it working though and there is a lack of blue.

http://colorschemedesigner.com/#4H61Tw0w0w0w0

Pyrian:

CriticalMiss:
...get stoned to death for daring to be an independant woman rather than a domestic slave and baby producing machine?

Except that's a completely different REGIONAL demographic. You don't see people do stoning in the USA as based on our religion. So that's a poor reason for this to exist. You aren't going to convince people from a different country and religions and philosophical history with a comic book nor do I think they will even try and address those issues as it will distract the writers from actually even trying to establish the character should exist and is a superhero in their own right(see previous posts).

MarlaDesat:

If you ask me, more people reading comics is always a good thing, and given that DC Comics keeps on putting its foot in its mouth, Marvel is looking pretty good right now.

You know, as much as I love knocking DC around for all of it's idiocy, the Harley Quinn thing is far from an example of DC "putting it's foot in it's mouth" and more an example of people taking something out of context, and blowing it up into an ever bigger mess than it ever was in the first place, exacerbated when people looking for lazy, quick clicks throw links left and right to said crap and pushing the same out-of-context idiocy about.

It doesn't help when it becomes a circle-jerk of one news poster posting the same hyperbole-filled crap as another news poster on the same site.

Link to a competent artists approach to what was actually listed

Completely unnecessary addition to the article, I'd say. Yes yes we get it, Marvel > DC, if that isn't obvious then I don't know what to tell anyone.

I do agree that it seems odd to give someone the mantle of Ms. Marvel though, when her powers appears to be only of the shape-shifting variety. The original Ms. Marvel gained her powers as part of an accident and her association with Captain Marvel. It fits at that point, but being a "fan" of Ms. Marvel doesn't really work to make you a good replacement for her. Shape-shifting is a rather boring suit of powers, as you see it almost everywhere to begin with, so they better be bringing their A+ game otherwise I don't see it panning out too strongly.

Tenmar:

Pyrian:

CriticalMiss:

Except that's a completely different REGIONAL demographic. You don't see people do stoning in the USA as based on our religion. So that's a poor reason for this to exist. You aren't going to convince people from a different country and religions and philosophical history with a comic book nor do I think they will even try and address those issues as it will distract the writers from actually even trying to establish the character should exist and is a superhero in their own right(see previous posts).

I think the point was that the character was needed because people apparently think being Muslim involves getting stoned to death for being an independent woman instead of a domestic slave. It's not to convince the shit countries of the world to stop being assholes, it's to convince people that being a Muslim doesn't somehow make you a Middle Eastern citizen and a devout follower of the horrible aspects of their culture.

cursedseishi:

MarlaDesat:

You know, as much as I love knocking DC around for all of it's idiocy, the Harley Quinn thing is far from an example of DC "putting it's foot in it's mouth" and more an example of people taking something out of context, and blowing it up into an ever bigger mess than it ever was in the first place, exacerbated when people looking for lazy, quick clicks throw links left and right to said crap and pushing the same out-of-context idiocy about.

It doesn't help when it becomes a circle-jerk of one news poster posting the same hyperbole-filled crap as another news poster on the same site.

Link to a competent artists approach to what was actually listed

Completely unnecessary addition to the article, I'd say. Yes yes we get it, Marvel > DC, if that isn't obvious then I don't know what to tell anyone.

I do agree that it seems odd to give someone the mantle of Ms. Marvel though, when her powers appears to be only of the shape-shifting variety. The original Ms. Marvel gained her powers as part of an accident and her association with Captain Marvel. It fits at that point, but being a "fan" of Ms. Marvel doesn't really work to make you a good replacement for her. Shape-shifting is a rather boring suit of powers, as you see it almost everywhere to begin with, so they better be bringing their A+ game otherwise I don't see it panning out too strongly.

Ahh good old jollyjack. Love his art. Even has his hand involves in a couple of video games as well. Also shows that despite the outrage here you can fulfill the requirements while staying in character and not have it be "degrading" to women(why women are so focused on supporting fictional characters compared to supporting actual women is beyond me).

LifeCharacter:

I think the point was that the character was needed because people apparently think being Muslim involves getting stoned to death for being an independent woman instead of a domestic slave. It's not to convince the shit countries of the world to stop being assholes, it's to convince people that being a Muslim doesn't somehow make you a Middle Eastern citizen and a devout follower of the horrible aspects of their culture.

Fair enough of a point. But I don't think that comic books need to make that sort of cased compared to actually either being exposed to people who came from that culture or religion or good old fashioned politics.

cursedseishi:

"Taking something out of context" implies that DC actually gave context instead of just posting that they want 4 suicide scenes, three quirky and one depressingly realistic and very easy to sexualize. Everything I read for it originally included all of the context given, and none of it made it any better. When DC actually gave the thing fucking context, it made it seem a lot less stupid of an idea, but that doesn't somehow retroactively make them immune to criticism or accusations of incredible stupidity.

Desert Punk:

Tenmar:

Re looking at the pic...what the hell is that lizard/goblin thing with the fez at the lower right of the picture behind the white dudes legs?! :P

More importantly, why are the Khans all drunks. Look behind them, nothing but bottles of booze.

Sidney Buit:

Desert Punk:

Tenmar:

More importantly, why are the Khans all drunks. Look behind them, nothing but bottles of booze.

Well her brother does kind of look like a middle eastern Shaggy from Scooby Doo, so maybe he is always rather drunk/stoned?

Tenmar:

LifeCharacter:

Fair enough of a point. But I don't think that comic books need to make that sort of cased compared to actually either being exposed to people who came from that culture or religion or good old fashioned politics.

Well being exposed to real people certainly is better than simply reading about fictional people, but not everyone can or wants to walk around in search of a Muslim to interact with to prove to themselves that they're normal people; they either are already aware of that obvious fact or aren't and don't want to interact with an alien group of people.

Depicting Muslims as normal people in media, in the same way you should depict homosexuals, blacks, Hispanics, Asians, and every other minority group as normal people (admittedly with variations to their situations in current society), is a good way to show that Muslims are normal people like everyone else. Not to mention that media has a much greater potential to change ideas ingrained in society than just hoping that idiots run into a Muslim-Americans or that they try to educate themselves.

CriticalMiss:

I've got to agree that the artwork looks a bit shit and I'm not really keen on the idea too. I mean, is she going to stop being a hero to pray 5 times a day and then get stoned to death for daring to be an independant woman rather than a domestic slave and baby producing machine?

You can't possibly be serious. That stereotype doesn't even have to hold true to Muslim women in the Middle East, let alone in the USA or other Western countries. I've got a whole chunk of Muslim family members living in the Middle East, and the women are just as likely as the men to be in highly paid professional jobs. My great-great Aunt, who died a few years back well into her 100s, had a freaking PhD in Anthropology, published books on the development of societies in the local area, and refused to ever get married. So, to put that into perspective, she was as highly educated as it's really possibly to get, at a time when that was perishingly rare for women even in the West, lived independently and wrote critically of local customs.

The kind of ideas you're displaying are precisely why this is a fantastic idea.

LifeCharacter:

cursedseishi:

"Taking something out of context" implies that DC actually gave context instead of just posting that they want 4 suicide scenes, three quirky and one depressingly realistic and very easy to sexualize. Everything I read for it originally included all of the context given, and none of it made it any better. When DC actually gave the thing fucking context, it made it seem a lot less stupid of an idea, but that doesn't somehow retroactively make them immune to criticism or accusations of incredible stupidity.

Good job buddy, you just ignored the entirety of what was actually written for the fourth panel. Since I'm nice, I'll post it right here so you can actually read it.

PANEL 4
Harley sitting naked in a bathtub with toasters, blow dryers, blenders, appliances all dangling above the bathtub and she has a cord that will release them all. We are watching the moment before the inevitable death. Her expression is one of "oh well, guess that's it for me" and she has resigned herself to the moment that is going to happen.

Just because something is "easy to sexualize" does not mean people should get all in a tissy over the fact that a few idiotic artists couldn't do anything BUT sexualize it. It speaks more for the artists lack of either talent, knowledge of character, or both than it does DC.

It had all the context needed right there. It isn't my, or their fault, if the first thing you think of when reading that is "sexy suicide". That's all you buddy. The whole thing was a quick way to screen out all the idiot artists who figured it would either need to be sexual, or thought it must be sexual, from the... oh, actual competent ones like the one I linked.

Ya know, I really do like that new costume. Not only does it pull from the traditions of modesty instilled by Islam, but it is also simple and unique. I can't wait to see what the story's like.

CriticalMiss:

bazaalmon:

And that's what you get for reading only the headline at The Escapist (gotta read the actual article), the artists walked off after the editors forced them to do the lesbian wedding instead of keeping it an on again/off again relationship like they wanted to for the character. It was creative differences made to look like bigotry by an attention-grabbing headline.

Anyway, I do think this reeks of "trying too hard for diversity", but I'll be on board if it's well written.

cursedseishi:

LifeCharacter:

cursedseishi:

Good job buddy, you just ignored the entirety of what was actually written for the fourth panel. Since I'm nice, I'll post it right here so you can actually read it.

PANEL 4
Harley sitting naked in a bathtub with toasters, blow dryers, blenders, appliances all dangling above the bathtub and she has a cord that will release them all. We are watching the moment before the inevitable death. Her expression is one of "oh well, guess that's it for me" and she has resigned herself to the moment that is going to happen.

Just because something is "easy to sexualize" does not mean people should get all in a tissy over the fact that a few idiotic artists couldn't do anything BUT sexualize it. It speaks more for the artists lack of either talent, knowledge of character, or both than it does DC.

It had all the context needed right there. It isn't my, or their fault, if the first thing you think of when reading that is "sexy suicide". That's all you buddy. The whole thing was a quick way to screen out all the idiot artists who figured it would either need to be sexual, or thought it must be sexual, from the... oh, actual competent ones like the one I linked.

In case you didn't actually read my post beyond the point where you could tell I disagreed with you, I've read the context. Thank you for being so nice as to provide me with something I've already read though.

Anyway, this is DC we're talking about right? The company that decided that every female character must now be sexy if they weren't before, and sexier if they were already; the one that likes putting female characters in less and less clothing as time goes on? You expect me to believe that that DC was using this as a way to weed out the artists who would depict a naked female character who's outfit is ridiculously sexualized as anything but?

Tell me why you think that DC wouldn't sexualize this. I've got pretty much every single one of their actions from the redesign of costumes, to the redesign of characters, to the reworkings of personalities all for the sake of being sexualized. What do you have to show me that this was an attempt to weed out the artists DC has no problem working with?

CriticalMiss:

bazaalmon:

I've got to agree that the artwork looks a bit shit and I'm not really keen on the idea too. I mean, is she going to stop being a hero to pray 5 times a day and then get stoned to death for daring to be an independant woman rather than a domestic slave and baby producing machine? Also why does that hedgehog have Hulk hands (holy aliteration Batman!)?

(Sigh) You can combine prayers if you have pressing business and the whole "Stoned to death for daring to be an independant woman" thing is only in specific countries most notoriously Saudi Arabia.
Actually your comments highlight a potential issue for this comic, seemingly few people can tell the difference between culture and religion, yes they are intertwined but they are not one in the same different cultures having different interpretations and what not, also Islam. Also one to wonder if they will have the restraint to not give her a romantic interest cause you really aren't suppose to have one outside of marriage in Islam.

I smell shitstorm....

Tenmar:

I really do hope it's concept art. Or maybe an early costume she switches out of early on. It looks bad, but yeah. Without more detail, not much else to say.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 58499)