BioWare Photos Offer First Glimpse at Next Mass Effect

Pages 1 2 NEXT

BioWare Photos Offer First Glimpse at Next Mass Effect

BioWare celebrated N7 Day with a chain of tweets remembering Mass Effect's past and teasing a few details about its future.

November 7 marks N7 Day, according to BioWare. Mapping Commander Shepard's elite military rank to our primitive Earth calendar, it's a Mass Effect-inspired holiday that BioWare seems to have created by sheer force of will. Even if you don't celebrate it, the developers certainly do - BioWare's assorted staff members have spent the last 24 hours composing a rousing message across several different Twitter accounts, chained together with the #N7Day13 hashtag. Series fans may want to pay particularly close attention to the last few tweets, as they show the BioWare team hard at work on the next installment to the Mass Effect franchise.

BioWare bigwigs like executive producer Casey Hudson and series producer Mike Gamble took part in the tweet parade, reminiscing about Mass Effect's past installments and looking forward to its future. A handful of photos taken in the BioWare office include screens of assets and possibly gameplay of the work-in-progress successor to the Commander Shepard trilogy. This collection of tweets, when put together, reads, "The next chapter of Mass Effect is upon us!! With new characters to fall in love with, new enemies to encounter, and new worlds to explore!"

We can see a few of those bullet points in progress: one member of the team is working on concept art for a presumably-important character (which looks to be a Turian), while another illustrates a lush alien planet. Of course we have no idea what any of this concept art will turn out to be in the game, but the message is clear: more Mass Effect is on the way, and BioWare is all kinds of excited about it.

Source: Twitter, via Storify

No doubt this will end up being a tablet/mobile game of some sort. Same crap Square Enix pulled with Deus Ex: The Fall.

Let's hope it won't suck. My bullshit meter is indicating high quantities of bullshit, but I hope they manage to make something great. Mass Effect deserves more love and less hate.

I guess the question I'm asking is are the fans excited about it and ready for more ME? I think it will take a massive hit on the debacle that is know as ME3 so I guess the real question is, "Is it too soon?"

As a fan, I had hoped that DA:I and at least one other game would have came out before the next ME. Just so Bioware could prove if they still have what it takes to make good stories or if the likes of DA2 and ME3 are how it is going to be from now on. Oh well.

Leviano:
No doubt this will end up being a tablet/mobile game of some sort. Same crap ubisoft pulled with Deus Ex: The Fall.

First of all that was Square Enix, not Ubisoft. And second, next Mass Effect will be a AAA next-gen title running on Frostbite 3 engine.

Adam Jensen:

Leviano:
No doubt this will end up being a tablet/mobile game of some sort. Same crap ubisoft pulled with Deus Ex: The Fall.

First of all that was Square Enix, not Ubisoft. And second, next Mass Effect will be a AAA next-gen title running on Frostbite 3 engine.

Fixed it, I do apologise for the slip up, was installing Blood Dragon at the time. Also, I don't see any reference to triple A unless its in the source material which i can't be bothered clicking.

Looking at those pictures their is only one thing i want to know. What is that thing in pic 5?

I know the comments are going to be negative. I don't care. I'm going to be optimistic about this game until it releases.
And then very possibly suicidal if it turns out to be poop. But until then! Blind fanboyism goddamnit.

It will be a grand glorious 3 part game; That forgets important facts between installments, change what type of game it wants to be each time and culminate in a Red/Green/Blue ending.

I am unashamedly stoked. With anything else, I would perhaps recognise the value of letting a franchise end once it's story is told. I had no interest in Halo, for example, after Reach. Hell, these days I'm even inclined to believe the Firefly universe would have been better left without Serenity, and certainly it didn't need The Shepherd's Tale comic.

But damnit, Mass Effect offers me something I just don't think I'll ever get from other games. So long as they don't get too fantastical with the already tenuous science, I don't care if it doesn't live up to the first or second game. All I need is a character I can customise, a ship and that galaxy map. No other game has given me the sense of a wide open universe quite like Mass Effect's galaxy map. I know you can't actually land on most of those planets, but the descriptions... I could (and have) read those for hours. Coupled with 'dat music'...

The atmosphere of all three Mass Effect games, the general seamlessness of its setting could keep me coming back forever.

One and only turn off would be if they declare Synthesis any form of canon. But so long as that's avoided, bring it on Bioware.

i think i wait to hear how the ending is. me3 was as such a really good game if it woulndt be for the ending. for now, i just wait and see.

I just hope EA doesn't butcher it,releasing it with 5 to 10 different day 1 dlcs,and always online DRM.

ME3 was such a huge disappointment. Not only was the story ending a catastrophe the game itself was stupid as hell. If it hadn't been for the good story moments in between I wouldn't even have tried to get to the end.....

I was so bored and annoyed by many of the "features". Even the conversation system was dumbed down....

Bah all of this just makes me so angry again....

kiri2tsubasa:
Looking at those pictures their is only one thing i want to know. What is that thing in pic 5?

That's the Thorians great-grandfather. Anyway, five pics isn't a lot to go on, but it's cool to know there's more Mass Effect in the works. Any chance we can get uncharted planets back again, somewhat like ME1. I'd like to think the landscape in pic 3 is part of some uncharted planet.

I see in pic 4, someone has a well guarded desk. Garrus, Grunt and (what looks like) Legion? They may be small, but they still pack a punch..

Adam Jensen:

And third, made by the team behind the ME3 Multiplayer content and Citadel DLC.

In other words, nothing to get really excited for so far.

nodlimax:
ME3 was such a huge disappointment. Not only was the story ending a catastrophe the game itself was stupid as hell. If it hadn't been for the good story moments in between I wouldn't even have tried to get to the end.....

I was so bored and annoyed by many of the "features". Even the conversation system was dumbed down....

Bah all of this just makes me so angry again....

I think I should remind you that we can't criticize BioWare since everything they do is because they want to maintain their artistic integrity. Bad gameplay designs, streamlined dialogues and incoherent story written by monkeys on crack are all part of much bigger picture we, mere mortal gamers, cannot comprehend.

New ME is highly likely to fail mostly because BW and EA board of directors will try to play safe and target action-adventure fans again instead of RPG crowd. The game will be a rehash of already established BW cliches with same writers that drove ME story to the ground. I'd like to be wrong though...

Cautiously optimist, but I' avoiding all spoilers. I did that with AC: Black Flag and have enjoyed the game all the more for it!

I'm taking an Animation major with a Concept art for games minor just to do what they are doing now.

I am a Sophomore and still have no idea how to do what they are doing now.

Fuck.

Although it won't be the same team, Dragon Age: Inquisition (If that's the name kinda stopped caring about DA after DA: 2) will really be the barometer for Bioware, as to my knowledge they haven't made any big titles since ME 3. There have been a ton of changes at the company during this time so we'll have to see if it has had a major effect or not. Me I'm interested in seeing how things go as I love Mass Effect but, I'm still precocious now. I'll defiantly be waiting for reviews on this one.

Cognimancer:

November 7 marks N7 Day, according to BioWare. Mapping Commander Shepard's elite military rank to our primitive Earth calendar, it's a Mass Effect-inspired holiday that BioWare seems to have created by sheer force of will.

N7 isn't Commander Shepard's rank, it's his proficiency. N indicates special operations and efficacy in that field is rated on a 1-7 scale.

kiri2tsubasa:

Looks like a graphic designer working on some sort of touch screen... ;)

Stavros Dimou:
I just hope EA doesn't butcher it,releasing it with 5 to 10 different day 1 dlcs,and always online DRM.

You forgot about the microtransactions. EA has already said that all of their future titles will include microtransactions.

MinionJoe:

kiri2tsubasa:

Stavros Dimou:

You forgot about the microtransactions. EA has already said that all of their future titles will include microtransactions.

Is that a joke? Please, tell me that is a joke...

Every time I hear of another " Mass Effect " installment into the series this meme. comes to mind.

The Mass Effect series has been " dead " to me since Mass Effect 3. Please BioWare just please let it die. You mishandled the property either by your doing or allowing E.A to meddle with it. Please just stop.

Adam Jensen:

Leviano:

And the award for the most appropriate person to correct a statement goes to...

I'm beyond excited for this next Mass Effect title and I hope BioWare holds their own and sticks to their artistic intentions and doesn't water things down for the people who cry about the ending of Mass Effect 3 not being indulgent enough.

kiri2tsubasa:

It's one of the developers. He may not be a looker but damn you're harsh. XD

Kidding. Looks to be some sort of alien landscape plant or rock formation.

Leviano:
No doubt this will end up being a tablet/mobile game of some sort. Same crap Square Enix pulled with Deus Ex: The Fall.

Considering that the very first picture has him playtesting with an Xbox controller, I'm going to say "nope."

Sarge034:
I guess the question I'm asking is are the fans excited about it and ready for more ME? I think it will take a massive hit on the debacle that is know as ME3 so I guess the real question is, "Is it too soon?"

As a fan, I had hoped that DA:I and at least one other game would have came out before the next ME. Just so Bioware could prove if they still have what it takes to make good stories or if the likes of DA2 and ME3 are how it is going to be from now on. Oh well.

Honestly I think most people loved ME3, they just hated the ending. 1% of the game doesn't really justify writing off the entire incredibly fun rest of the game. Aside from that piece everything was pretty solid. All BioWare has to do is explicitly say, "We aren't going to pull any type of bullshit like that again" and ME4 will make bank. At least I for one am anxiously awaiting it.

Xavier78:

MinionJoe:

kiri2tsubasa:

Stavros Dimou:

No it isn't, but that doesn't mean ME4 will be a transaction fest. ME3 even had them, but it was all for the multiplayer booster packs. These guys are smart enough to have learned that MTs in single player content destroys consumer confidence by now... at least we can hope they have :\

Adam Jensen:

Leviano:

And seeing how the Frostbite 3 engine is right now, I ask them to wait for Frostbite 4.

The first time ever I had to actually adjust my TV to reduce how much of the lens flare screwed up the visuals.

Still pretty cool how the visuals look when you dont have the flare blaring down on you. Really like in BF4 when you get a map with the storms coming in how everything looks at a distance.

Yeah.... They claimed the last pile of shit was their "artistic vision". So I will get my art from another company moving forward.

They make great games, just shitty series. They need to become a creative team that hands off the IP after the first game is released. This game may be awesome... But what about the next one that continues its' story? Or the next? Where does the "vision" kick in and it shits on the story and concept? I just refues to get invested in something I know will be a train wreck at the end. They have done this too many times for me to expect this will not happen again.

TiberiusEsuriens:
Honestly I think most people loved ME3, they just hated the ending. 1% of the game doesn't really justify writing off the entire incredibly fun rest of the game. Aside from that piece everything was pretty solid.

I'd like to quote myself on this (see a little bit further up in this topic):

Xavier78:

Sorry, meant to provide links in my other post and got distracted...

Enjoy:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122396-EA-Asserts-Customers-Enjoy-Microtransactions
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122441-CliffyB-Microtransaction-is-Not-a-Dirty-Word-EA-is-Not-The-Bad-Guy
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122534-EA-Executive-Clarifies-Microtransactions-In-All-Games-Comment

The last article is actually EA backpedaling and saying that they only meant their mobile games when they said all their games would have microtransactions. Doesn't preclude ME4 from having microtransactions like DS3 though.

ME3's story was just generally terrible. It was built upon shock value, superficial emotional scenes, and the same old judo-christian symbolism everyone else uses.

Then of course, the overwhelming amount of auto dialogue and lack of a third dialogue choice, oversimplified Shepard's character.

Then there is this quote going around in which Casey Hudson says female Shepard was a waste of time and money because so few people play her(Ironically, playing Renegade Shepard comes to about the same amount of people). I suspect the new Mass Effect will be male only or even worse, a set male character(take out the role play part completely), because that will save time and money.

So yeah, I'm not going to get worked up over this game. I'm going to continue to look at it with a with a nearly, completely unfair, harsh critical eye until it is out on shelves and my friends says it's actually worth $60.

Though, this has become the way I approach all games now.

I can barely see anything in those pics
All i want to know is if i can buy the game on a CD and install it from said CD

I couldn't make out much in the pics, but it is nice to have official signs that they are working on it rather than just having to take their word for it. And yes, I am looking forward to it.

Why is no one calling for a boycott? Everyone wanted to boycott Left 4 dead 2 and Modern Warfare-whichever over the pettiest reasons. If we should be boycotting anything, it's Mass Effect 3 and any more sequels/prequels to it. Why isn't this happening?

I'm honestly stunned.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or