BioWare Photos Offer First Glimpse at Next Mass Effect

Pages PREV 1 2

Cid SilverWing:
Why is no one calling for a boycott? Everyone wanted to boycott Left 4 dead 2 and Modern Warfare-whichever over the pettiest reasons. If we should be boycotting anything, it's Mass Effect 3 and any more sequels/prequels to it. Why isn't this happening?

I'm honestly stunned.

Can't boycott ME3 cause people didn't know the ending until they already bought and played it back in 2012. Like a lot of fans I pre-ordered it cause I never in a million years thought ME3 would turn out the way it did. Also whatever Mass Effect spinoff they are planning won't be out for years to come, so talking about boycotting it now is kind of pointless. I suspect Bioware will hope to win back peoples' trust with Dragon Age: Inquisition even though that series is being made a different team, or at the very least, hope people will have forgotten about ME3 by the time this new spinoff is revealed.

TiberiusEsuriens:
Honestly I think most people loved ME3, they just hated the ending. 1% of the game doesn't really justify writing off the entire incredibly fun rest of the game. Aside from that piece everything was pretty solid.

It does when it prevents me from enjoying the journey to that point. I can not play ME 1-3 because I know no matter how I role play it all ends the same bullshit way. I just can't get behind it.

All BioWare has to do is explicitly say, "We aren't going to pull any type of bullshit like that again" and ME4 will make bank. At least I for one am anxiously awaiting it.

Like they explicitly said we were not going to get an A, B, C ending? To trust anything a proven liar says to you is foolish. Actions speak louder than words so lets see how they handle DA:I at least.

Imre Csete:

And third, made by the team behind the ME3 Multiplayer content and Citadel DLC.

In other words, nothing to get really excited for so far.

Except that ME3 Multiplayer AND the Citadel DLC were the best parts of Mass Effect 3...

I think it's a good choice to put it in the hands of the guys behind the multiplayer. The multiplayer is really quite deep (deep enough for me) and you can have 3 or 4 really effective builds with the same character.

I have a feeling that 'ME4' will take place a hundred yrs+ AFTER ME3 and instead of choosing just a male/female human we choose from a number of races (Human, Turian, Drell, Salarian or Krogan...maybe Geth, Batarian, Vorcha) and it will kind of be similar to Dragon Age: Origins where each race has their own origin story and about an hour's gameplay on each characters homeworld before being thrust into the main conflict which includes becoming the captain of your own ship.

At least that's what I hope anyway :)

Call me a cynic but I think Bioware has lost whatever golden touch it had as a storyteller. I can't say I care about anything Bioware will put out after Mass Effect 3. Cthulhu robots ruining everything for everyone because of a syntax error is just lame.

pearcinator:

Imre Csete:

And third, made by the team behind the ME3 Multiplayer content and Citadel DLC.

In other words, nothing to get really excited for so far.

Except that ME3 Multiplayer AND the Citadel DLC were the best parts of Mass Effect 3...

I think it's a good choice to put it in the hands of the guys behind the multiplayer. The multiplayer is really quite deep (deep enough for me) and you can have 3 or 4 really effective builds with the same character.

I have a feeling that 'ME4' will take place a hundred yrs+ AFTER ME3 and instead of choosing just a male/female human we choose from a number of races (Human, Turian, Drell, Salarian or Krogan...maybe Geth, Batarian, Vorcha) and it will kind of be similar to Dragon Age: Origins where each race has their own origin story and about an hour's gameplay on each characters homeworld before being thrust into the main conflict which includes becoming the captain of your own ship.

At least that's what I hope anyway :)

Exactly, however the Citadel DLC was written- I'd really like to see doing more, I believe it was Mac Walters on lead with full collaboration (unlike Casey Hudson taking over which gave us the ME3 ending). The biggest problem with the next ME is, no Drew Karpyshyn on board.

Arkynomicon:
Cthulhu robots ruining everything for everyone because of a syntax error is just lame.

You know, when you phrase it like that it actually sounds like a lot of fun. Almost like some kind of P&P RPG campaign dreamt up by someone who thought the Cthulhu mythos was cool but preferred the tone of D&D.

And since when is cthulhu not in my spell checker's dictionary? Perhaps he is too great for even machines to comprehend.

Anyway, I'm cautiously optimistic about the new mass effect, though I'll not be anxiously waiting. Need to see if inquisition is any good first, and then see what the marketing tells us beforehand for the new me (since I doubt they'll call it 4).

Arkynomicon:
Cthulhu robots ruining everything for everyone because of a syntax error is just lame.

So, The Evitable Conflict was lame because it also hinges on machines misinterpreting instructions?

With Folded Hands was lame because it also hinges on machines misinterpreting instructions?

Look.. Jack Williamson is very, very disappointed in you.

(Not really, he just looks like that).

Sure.. the way the catalyst misinterprets its instructions is fairly unnecessarily convoluted, but it ties into many of the core themes of the series and doesn't make nearly as little sense as everyone has since tried to claim.

That said, I'm a bit burned out on Mass Effect too but am willing to give this one a chance if it winds up with positive reviews.

evilthecat:

Arkynomicon:

So, The Evitable Conflict was lame because it also hinges on machines misinterpreting instructions?

With Folded Hands was lame because it also hinges on machines misinterpreting instructions?

Look.. Jack Williamson is very, very disappointed in you.

(Not really, he just looks like that).

Sure.. the way the catalyst misinterprets its instructions is fairly unnecessarily convoluted, but it ties into many of the core themes of the series and doesn't make nearly as little sense as everyone has since tried to claim.

That said, I'm a bit burned out on Mass Effect too but am willing to give this one a chance if it winds up with positive reviews.

No. It is as retarded as everyone claims. It simply does not hold up to basic logic. When the equation is: Ensure Survival of Organic life = kill organic life than you dun and fcked up somewhere.
Oh and the citadel DLC: yes lets go waste time there its not like the apokalypse is agriliy sitting outside waiting for you to fckn join the proceedings. . .

Cid SilverWing:
Why is no one calling for a boycott? Everyone wanted to boycott Left 4 dead 2 and Modern Warfare-whichever over the pettiest reasons. If we should be boycotting anything, it's Mass Effect 3 and any more sequels/prequels to it. Why isn't this happening?

I'm honestly stunned.

I'm sure there will be boycotts, gamers love to boycott shit. There's plenty of time for that. You're welcome to start one if you're so passionate about it. I for one could not be more excited for the next Mass Effect though. I loved the series and had no real issues with the ending (the extended version anyway). Besides, I play games for the journey, not the end cutscene. Even if a game has a bad ending, as long as the stuff leading up to it kept me entertained, I'm happy

Adam Jensen:

Leviano:
No doubt this will end up being a tablet/mobile game of some sort. Same crap ubisoft pulled with Deus Ex: The Fall.

First of all that was Square Enix, not Ubisoft. And second, next Mass Effect will be a AAA next-gen title running on Frostbite 3 engine.

High chances of being crap with a pink ribbon then.

tangoprime:

Exactly, however the Citadel DLC was written- I'd really like to see doing more, I believe it was Mac Walters on lead with full collaboration (unlike Casey Hudson taking over which gave us the ME3 ending). The biggest problem with the next ME is, no Drew Karpyshyn on board.

I believe that John Dombrow was credited as co-lead writer on Citadel, a good move since he is a pretty good writer. It seems like he have left Bioware and is now working with Irrational Games, though.

Cid SilverWing:

I'm honestly stunned.

Because people are lazy and nerds can have short memories.

Just look at the Marvel film industry. Nerds are up in arms about how the Kirby family isn't benefitting from those successes in any way, yet they all go see the movies and buy the merch.

Until I hear the news that you can play as a Turian or any other race outside of hoomans, than my only interest in this game is the oncoming shit storm it will brew if it turns out to be complete shit like everyone predicted.

Xavier78:

MinionJoe:

kiri2tsubasa:
Looking at those pictures their is only one thing i want to know. What is that thing in pic 5?

Looks like a graphic designer working on some sort of touch screen... ;)

Stavros Dimou:
I just hope EA doesn't butcher it,releasing it with 5 to 10 different day 1 dlcs,and always online DRM.

You forgot about the microtransactions. EA has already said that all of their future titles will include microtransactions.

Is that a joke? Please, tell me that is a joke...

You wish.

There was an article here on the Escapist a while back that literally quoted them saying the exact thing.

evilthecat:

Then I think you can just as well pre-order it, because I'm pretty sure that no gaming site will give the game beneath a 11/10.
OT: Ah, Bioware, the new Capcom. Piss out those sequels guys! You're true Artists of Creative Artistry!

NortherWolf:
Then I think you can just as well pre-order it, because I'm pretty sure that no gaming site will give the game beneath a 11/10.

User reviews. ;)

God bless new media!

I'd be hyped if I could see anything in those pictures.

That said, I hope ME4 or whatever they're calling it is good. I could do with some more of it.

Holy fuck!!!
The realistic graphics are amazing.
Especially girl on 2nd screenshot- I mean, just look at her, she looks like actual person
Although guy in 3rd picture gives away that it isn't real.
There is the same problem LA Noire had- overdoing facial expressions
But no big deal- it is work in progress after all. I'm sure this will be fixed.

There is one thing though- I can't exactly understand why all these pictures are about some office
Are they going to reboot ME franchise?

P.S. Also- the lighting on first picture is just amazing. I wonder what what recommended PC requirements will be.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here