Warlords of Draenor Expansion Announced for World of Warcraft

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Warlords of Draenor Expansion Announced for World of Warcraft

The newest expansion will allow players to jump up to level 90, build keeps as well as bring higher-detailed models to the nine-year old game.

The fifth expansion for World of Warcraft has been announced at BlizzCon, and it's Warlords of Draenor. The game will allow travel to the new setting of Draenor, natch, during the time of the old Horde's conquest of the realm and the chance to encounter historic characters of the time such as Ner'zhul and Blackhand. Other features are an increased level cap of 100 and a feature that lets players boost one character right to level 90, so they can explore all the new content without high-level monsters playing hacky sack with their body. Of course, this comes on top of the additional dungeons, loot, raids, enemies and pvp zones to encounter.

Higher detailed player character models will also be made to spruce up the look of the now nine-year old game. Players will also be able to build and upgrade a garrison on Draenor, complete with specialized buildings like armories, farms and workshops. Players can then recruit NPC allies and followers who can perform services such as going on missions and collecting resources.

If you're one of the lucky few at BlizzCon, you'll get the chance to try out the game right on the show floor. In traditional Blizzard fashion, an exact release date hasn't been announced yet, but it'll certainly be done "when it's ready."

Source: Blizzard, The Wall Street Journal

The thing I'm most happy about is the new character models. It's about time they updated the rest.

Also it will be cool to see Draenor before its shattered remains became known as Outland.

I'm really worried that they, like the Caverns of Time instances, have tied their hands in what will be allowed in the storyline. It appears they're going for a stable time loop scenario here, so very little can change.

Now that I've been playing FFXIV:ARR I can comfortably say that I won't end up resubscribing to WoW because of this. I'm so happy to have finally broken that addiction, only to begin another one...

Captcha: find the lowest rates

How oddly appropriate of you Progressive commercial captcha.

Kungfu_Teddybear:
The thing I'm most happy about is the new character models. It's about time they updated the rest.

Unfortunately, I think it's only going to be the dwarves and orcs getting model updates. I only say that because the dwarf models were supposedly close to being finished around the time MoP was going to be released. The orcs received new models when Garrosh did around the boss raid patch for MoP. On the forums devs (or moderators) have stated that the character models were going to take a couple of years for them to do much to the disappointment of the players. Unless this expansion isn't coming out for a few years, I feel like only a few races will be getting new models while the rest are stuck in ye ancient times for a long while.

EDIT: I stand slightly corrected. Just checked MMO Champion and they do show an image of new gnome models, so that's good. I'll be impressed when I see new tauren models, lol.

MCerberus:
I'm really worried that they, like the Caverns of Time instances, have tied their hands in what will be allowed in the storyline. It appears they're going for a stable time loop scenario here, so very little can change.

It may be interesting to see, still. I'm kind of hoping that it means Outlands will get a revamp for this, though I highly doubt it. I suppose that after MoP and a giant dragon nearly tearing the world apart, moving the story forward might be a bit pointless, so going back into the past may be a decent option if done well enough.

EDIT: on MMO Champion, they give a small outline of the plot. It's not just a prequal type thing as I thought. It's someone going back into the past and tampering with it. Not going to spoil much else, but you can see it on the mmo champion website.

I will resub, if only to play the new zones and go through the story (shut up, I like WoW's cheesy story!).

It does look really cool and I am really glad with the updated models that are shown so far. I find the idea of visiting Dreanor before the shattering really cool, but it does feel like they are out of ideas. Time travel is a pretty weak plot device and they already have used it a lot.

What I really like about the new updated models, is that it are actual updates, not newly designed. the Orc and Dwarf still feel like the the races we know, but better.

Nexxis:

Unfortunately, I think it's only going to be the dwarves and orcs getting model updates. I only say that because the dwarf models were supposedly close to being finished around the time MoP was going to be released. The orcs received new models when Garrosh did around the boss raid patch for MoP. On the forums devs (or moderators) have stated that the character models were going to take a couple of years for them to do much to the disappointment of the players. Unless this expansion isn't coming out for a few years, I feel like only a few races will be getting new models while the rest are stuck in ye ancient times for a long while.

EDIT: I stand slightly corrected. Just checked MMO Champion and they do show an image of new gnome models, so that's good. I'll be impressed when I see new tauren models, lol.

Except that there's a part on the official Warlords of Draenor site where you can preview the new models, with big 'COMING SOON' stamps on the other races. Not to mention that it has been mentioned several times during MoP that part of the art team was working on stuff for the next expansion, AND they expanded all the teams in the meanwhile.

Oh god, oh please fuck no.

Not a fucking prequel.

HAVEN'T YOU RAPED THE LORE ENOUGH?

Just leave it alone god damn it, have fun with your pandas, at least they're not really ruining the story that was already there before they were introduced.

Why Metzen, why do you despise your own work so much?

bringer of illumination:

Not a fucking prequel.

Just leave it alone god damn it, have fun with your pandas, at least they're not really ruining the story that was already there before they were introduced.

Oh I dunno...As far as I'm concerned Warcraft finished with The Frozen Throne...so watching him fuck everything up is quite fun. I mean, what will he do next? He has exhausted every thing usable that was given to him from the RTS games, including the pandarens (I just spelt that wrong and my spell checker fixed it..wow) who were a sodding joke...so yeah let him carry on. its utterly stupid, but its a fun kinda stupid really.

Ponyholder:
I will resub, if only to play the new zones and go through the story (shut up, I like WoW's cheesy story!).

Oh yeah it's super campy. I got tired of it when I never had good enough gear to do any raiding and cataclysm's quests became just boring.

Edit: to be clear I enjoyed the story but in cataclysm it was dull in my mind.

I almost want to try this, but I'll go through the quests and then start doing the small town simulator with questing companions (suspiciously like SWTOR, but in town form with bigger parties and a larger companion pool but less writing) and then want to try raiding but be unable to get anywhere because I always lose the rolls on the gear I need and by the time I've got the stuff for one raid they released a new one and nobody wants to play the old one.

I think I never did any raids until WoTLK and at I never was able to get groups for anything more than naxx 2.0, that one raid in the pvp zone that changed hands (vault of something), and then the really old raids before anything got updated, so everyone just kinda split up and punched the shit out of anything and everything before they could even finish their fight-opening monologues. Got boring kinda fast (it's not fun when you can't experience it even close to how they intended, with a certain amount of pacing and threat). Except for onyxia, that was still fun before they updated that. If my account is still intact, I still have that old helmet with an axe on the head meant for SUPER POWERFUL LV 60 WARRIORS.

I really wish I had been able to ever even complete Ulduar, or even start Icecrown, or complete the argent tournament raid (wait... I think I did do that one once or twice in a 10 man group where I was basically being dragged along) or do blackrock spire or any of the vanilla 40 man raids as they were intended, or literally any of the Burning Crusade raids as they were intended.

I need to find a new MMO and actually get in on the ground floor. I missed too much in wow and while trying to catch up I missed so many others which are now dying or dead: Warhammer, tabula rasa, Star Wars Galaxies (actually found a pre-NGU private server and tried it out. That would have been SO MUCH FUN if I had people to play with/help me understand what the hell to do/there was a bigger game population. The server as understandably sparsely populated), City of heroes... and what's left has gone freemium (which is ... irritating, in many respects) or tries and fails to capture what WOW had (SWTOR is a prime example of both).

Hopefully some upcoming projects can be a breath of fresh air, but until then I shall try to scrounge some funds and get things done so there's free time in anticipation.

gibboss28:

bringer of illumination:

Not a fucking prequel.

Oh I dunno...As far as I'm concerned Warcraft finished with The Frozen Throne...so watching him fuck everything up is quite fun. I mean, what will he do next? He has exhausted every thing usable that was given to him from the RTS games, including the pandarens (I just spelt that wrong and my spell checker fixed it..wow) who were a sodding joke...so yeah let him carry on. its utterly stupid, but its a fun kinda stupid really.

I still can't fucking BELIEVE that they decided to resolve the Emerald Dream story line in a fucking novel.

I mean, jesus fucking christ, how fucking incompetent can you possibly be?

It was set up MASSIVELY all the way from Vanilla and there are SO many possibilities for what you could do with it.

But no, they resolved it in a fucking mediocre novel.

It's just... I don't fucking even.

Is Metzen spending all his massive piles of cash on nothing but smack?

How does something like this even happen?

I'm honestly not impressed. The updated models are nice (even though they were promised, what, last year?) but the story seems to smack of recycling, the "level boost" thing only works for one character (or so I've heard) and I'm not seeing anything new or interesting that would make me want to reactivate my subscription.

I think I'll just stay with my fond memories and keep my fifteen bucks a month, really.

bringer of illumination:

gibboss28:

bringer of illumination:

Not a fucking prequel.

I still can't fucking BELIEVE that they decided to resolve the Emerald Dream story line in a fucking novel.

I mean, jesus fucking christ, how fucking incompetent can you possibly be?

It was set up MASSIVELY all the way from Vanilla and there are SO many possibilities for what you could do with it.

But no, they resolved it in a fucking mediocre novel.

It's just... I don't fucking even.

Is Metzen spending all his massive piles of cash on nothing but smack?

How does something like this even happen?

'

That's kind of why i liked Anarchy Online a bit better than WoW. It started with a book aptly subtitled "Book 1", and the game itself was considered by the writer to be Book 2 with stories constantly popping up.

Warcraft on the other hand was an RTS that had lore built around it instead, so people got a base idea of what was natural and okay before books were made.

Of course, I would always joke with people that "WoW has a story?" because at the time all I ever saw was "kill 10 kobolds" or "kill 5 boars" quests. Then the fucking Pandas happened.

Players are supposed to believe that a joke unit from the old RTS was an important race? really?

Now time travel. What the fuck? Even though I dont play WoW anymore, not since just after Burning Crusade, that's a big slap to the face for any gamer with some intelligence.

"What else can we do, we gave them panda's for Christs sake!" "I know, lets make players do yet another fucking raid but this time we make them go back in time!"

BRILLIANT, CHEESE FOR EVERYONE!

bringer of illumination:
Snip

Last I remember, they didn't resolve it. The Nightmare has been relatively pushed back into a corner, but it can still grow.

Quazimofo:

Ponyholder:

Oh yeah it's super campy. I got tired of it when I never had good enough gear to do any raiding and cataclysm's quests became just boring.

I almost want to try this, but I'll go through the quests and then start doing the small town simulator with questing companions (suspiciously like SWTOR, but in town form with bigger parties and a larger companion pool but less writing) and then want to try raiding but be unable to get anywhere because I always lose the rolls on the gear I need and by the time I've got the stuff for one raid they released a new one and nobody wants to play the old one.

I think I never did any raids until WoTLK and at I never was able to get groups for anything more than naxx 2.0, that one raid in the pvp zone that changed hands (vault of something), and then the really old raids before anything got updated, so everyone just kinda split up and punched the shit out of anything and everything before they could even finish their fight-opening monologues. Got boring kinda fast (it's not fun when you can't experience it even close to how they intended, with a certain amount of pacing and threat). Except for onyxia, that was still fun before they updated that. If my account is still intact, I still have that old helmet with an axe on the head meant for SUPER POWERFUL LV 60 WARRIORS.

I really wish I had been able to ever even complete Ulduar, or even start Icecrown, or complete the argent tournament raid (wait... I think I did do that one once or twice in a 10 man group where I was basically being dragged along) or do blackrock spire or any of the vanilla 40 man raids as they were intended, or literally any of the Burning Crusade raids as they were intended.

I need to find a new MMO and actually get in on the ground floor. I missed too much in wow and while trying to catch up I missed so many others which are now dying or dead: Warhammer, tabula rasa, Star Wars Galaxies (actually found a pre-NGU private server and tried it out. That would have been SO MUCH FUN if I had people to play with/help me understand what the hell to do/there was a bigger game population. The server as understandably sparsely populated), City of heroes... and what's left has gone freemium (which is ... irritating, in many respects) or tries and fails to capture what WOW had (SWTOR is a prime example of both).

Hopefully some upcoming projects can be a breath of fresh air, but until then I shall try to scrounge some funds and get things done so there's free time in anticipation.

You aren't missing much in terms of olden days. While I enjoyed Vanilla -> Wrath (Cata felt really bad to me) and while MoP was a LOT of fun in terms of questing, I just feel like there is TOO much content to do and see. So I decided to get on the ground floor of a new MMO as well: Final Fantasy XIV and I am greatly enjoying it. A little sparse on content at end game, but with a major patch coming next month introducing PvP and guild housing, I am rather excited.

I suggest you try it out if you can.

bringer of illumination:

Not a fucking prequel.

1.) Not a prequel. It is a continuation of Garrosh's story, although he isn't the big bad this expansion (will most likely be the burning legion).
2.) Mists was a great expansion with a damn good story, much better than the shit that was Cataclysm.
3.) Stop whining -_-

Can we have our cowboy dinosaurs and space sharks now please blizzard? I would sub for space sharks and cowboysaurs.

The Rogue Wolf:
The updated models are nice (even though they were promised, what, last year?) but the story seems to smack of recycling, the "level boost" thing only works for one character (or so I've heard)

Blizzard never gave or promised anything, they never give time frames for projects or features still in development, it's been like this for years.
It's confirmed one character so far, which is good I guess, getting into WoW after so many expansions leveling is tedious for the most part.

Nosirrah:
Can we have our cowboy dinosaurs and space sharks now please blizzard? I would sub for space sharks and cowboysaurs.

the new star trek online patch has dinsaurs with frickin' laser beams attached to their heads...

ok, i'm leaving...

Ponyholder:

bringer of illumination:

Not a fucking prequel.

1.) Not a prequel. It is a continuation of Garrosh's story, although he isn't the big bad this expansion (will most likely be the burning legion).
2.) Mists was a great expansion with a damn good story, much better than the shit that was Cataclysm.
3.) Stop whining -_-

1.) Do you know what the word "continuation" means? Garrosh is dead, his story is over, he redeemed himself by sacrificing his life to save his people, unless they're bringing him back from the dead (Blizzard, please just don't) then it's not a continuation.

We're traveling back in time, to before any of the games in the timeline, how could it be anything but a prequel?

2.) Mists may have been a "great expansion" from a gameplay perspective, and the story may even have been good, but it wasn't a fucking Warcraft story.

Pandaren were an easter egg, a fucking joke. Building an expansion around them is the equivalent of Star Wars episode VII being about the Stormtrooper that did the Wilhelm scream in A New Hope.

But ultimately, the fact that Mists of Pandaria simply isn't a Warcraft story, also means that I don't get upset about it. I just don't care about Pandaria, Cataclysm already fucked so many holes in the lore that it died of bloodloss, it was dead by the point, Pandas couldn't ruin it any further.

The destruction of WoW's lore started small with the complete retcon of the Draenei in Burning Crusade, and ended with a boom with the fucking embarrassment that is the ending cinematic of Cataclysm.

This is different though, now they're going back in time and fucking a perfectly functional story that they could have just left alone. Unlike Pandas this is something I can actually get mad about.

3.) Fucking make me.

As dreadful as it was... Please. Don't... Don't flush a decade and a half of lore down the loo. I'll... I'll stop complaining. I promise. I'll accept Warchief Christ. I will cheer and awe at everything you want me to. Just don't reboot it. Please... I've grown attatched to all the bright and campy times we've had. All the glorious, silly adventures. Don't obilterate it with the stroke of a pen. Mercy, Metzen... Meeercy...

/beg.

That is my general feeling of this so far. I can see the dreadful face of the reboot-stamp casting its dreadful shadow high above.

The worst part is that I was expecting to see some payoff with the whole N'Zoth affair. That interested me, I wanted to see that continued. Seven-eyed goats and sunken cities included!

So the story stopped progressing(if you could even call it that anymore) and now we're.... I don't know even know what to say anymore.... guess all that can be done is see how Metzen and his yes-men fucks stuff up this time.

bringer of illumination:

Ponyholder:

bringer of illumination:

Not a fucking prequel.

3.) Stop whining -_-

1.) Do you know what the word "continuation" means? Garrosh is dead, his story is over, he redeemed himself by sacrificing his life to save his people, unless they're bringing him back from the dead (Blizzard, please just don't) then it's not a continuation.

We're traveling back in time, to before any of the games in the timeline, how could it be anything but a prequel?

He isn't dead. He is going on trial. He is going to escape and heads back in time. Not a prequel, continuation of Garrosh's story. Learn to read.

2.) Mists may have been a "great expansion" from a gameplay perspective, and the story may even have been good, but it wasn't a fucking Warcraft story.

Pandaren were an easter egg, a fucking joke. Building an expansion around them is the equivalent of Star Wars episode VII being about the Stormtrooper that did the Wilhelm scream in A New Hope.

But ultimately, the fact that Mists of Pandaria simply isn't a Warcraft story, also means that I don't get upset about it. I just don't care about Pandaria, Cataclysm already fucked so many holes in the lore that it died of bloodloss, it was dead by the point, Pandas couldn't ruin it any further.

The destruction of WoW's lore started small with the complete retcon of the Draenei in Burning Crusade, and ended with a boom with the fucking embarrassment that is the ending cinematic of Cataclysm.

This is different though, now they're going back in time and fucking a perfectly functional story that they could have just left alone. Unlike Pandas this is something I can actually get mad about.

I agree that Cataclysm was shit, but Mists was defintitely a WoW story. I love how they integrated the Pandaren from a joke to a legitimate race with very interesting lore. I like exploring new parts of the world and Pandaria was definitely just that: New.

3.) Fucking make me.

Oh calm down, you are making this really embarassing for yourself. It is a game, sure get annoyed but three+ posts of nothing but whining and complaining is just sad.

I posted my stuff in bold.

First EQ2 and now WoW. What's with all the pre-leveled character stuff?

bringer of illumination:

Ponyholder:

bringer of illumination:

Not a fucking prequel.

3.) Stop whining -_-

3.) Fucking make me.

Poorly done troll, next time try do a google search before even attempting.

Garrosh is very much alive.

I really like the new character models.

I suppose the instant-90 thing is a necessity at this point.

Unlike the people above, I think this is probably the best setting since Northrend.

The instant 90 feature makes me so happy. Having leveled 6 characters to 90 already, I'd love to have a 7th just for purchasing the expansion. Overall I'm not as hyped for this expansion as I was for Wrath but it looks like we're going back to Warcraft, so I'm happy for that. Plus UPDATED MODELS YES PLS

bringer of illumination:

I think you're getting mixed up with Grommash. Garrosh is his son...

In any case, I quite like the look of this. The new models are great, and it will be interesting to see Khadgar and Durotan and Gul'dan and all those other characters in-game. I'm quite tempted to resub, level my toons from 85 to 90, get up to speed again...

I'll be resubbing. Nothing quite like playing from the get go in an expansion... You aren't constantly derided for not knowing every fight, and as a tank, that's a nice feature.

You know what they say, you know you're running out of ideas when you resort to time travel plots...also HOW THE FUCK DO YOU RUN OUT OF IDEAS WITH THE KIND OF LORE WARCRAFT HAS!? Kil'jaden isn't dead yet,only sent back through the well...that's kind of a HUGE plot line to leave hanging there...

I can honestly say now, this "expansion" is the nail in World of Warcrafts coffin. Firstly, they completely destroy the lore now. Oh how funny bronze from burning crusade, and wrath of the lich king emphasized no changing history or it could lead to a paradox that would destroy the world. And then in cataclysm, the dragons all supposedly "lost their powers to defeat deathwing", but here you go, hop back in time, kill heroes that shaped your destiny. Who cares about consequences.

And as if the complete obliteration of lore weren't bad enough, "here's free level 90, would you like some epics with that?". Quite the change from "People need to learn their classes, we can't have them speeding through levels, so we are nerfing pet battles so you cannot power level to cap with them". Now it is "Eh screw it, here's your free 90, have fun".

Even if I was still playing WoW, I'd be gone the moment they announced this expansion. I knew Warcraft lore backwards and forwards. But now, I am making this prediction:

Not only will this game sell far less copies than even MoP, but it literally will be the last expansion, because anyone who held out hope for the game will throw their hands up and look for better quality story telling and gaming elsewhere. Blizzard has lost touch with the gaming community completely, and instead now cater to the ones who used gamesharks to defeat games on consoles. Pretty soon Blizzard might even offer cheat codes for WoW. They most definitely are 1 step away. So if folks thought Cata lost a lot of subscribers in 2 years, and MoP losts more than Cata in just 1 year. This expansion is very much guaranteed to put an end to the games franchise once and for all.

Me, I will wash my hands of Blizzard once and for all. I've lost all interest in anything Blizzard related, and any friend that brings up anything related to them or their game, I will say politely ask to not speak of them to me. The company deserves contempt by the gaming community as a whole. They've created a community they feel should not be challenged, should not have original and good story telling, and instead should be given sub par gaming, ridiculously stupid story telling, and in recent cases, unstable software. But there's a silver lining. Other games like A Realm Reborn, will be able to knock the king off his pedestal and getting some new titles to line the top of the best MMO charts.

So, still no Emerald Dream since the world raid boss nightmare dragons came out in Vanilla WoW.

I am really hyped for this. New models, build your own garrison, a very neat story it seems. Can't wait to travel back in time and meet these heroes of old!

Also: Yay! My orcess will be pretty now~

Baldr:

Poorly done troll, next time try do a google search before even attempting.

Garrosh is very much alive.

I'm not sure mixing up names counts as trolling. If it did then we'd all be bona fide trolls by now.

Ponyholder:
Snip

Halyah:
Snippety

someonehairy-ish:
Snip

Gah.

I did a complete brainfart, I saw the time travel, I saw Gorehowl and my brain just sorta leapt to Grom and I didn't even consider Garrosh. I'd only paid tangential attention to Mists (even though I did see that Siege of Orgrimmar cinematic when it was initially released), and I just kinda stop caring about Garrosh after they put him through the Chris Metzen Corruption Plot Machine so I guess my brain just sorta filtered him out.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here