Diablo III Has Sold 14 Million Copies

Pages PREV 1 2

tzimize:

Aeshi:

tzimize:

It was NOTHING but a sickening money grab. The extreme lack of good gear in the game made gearing up a joke, and if you wanted to progress you could either put in 100000000000 hours to MAYBE get an item you needed that MAYBE rolled the stats you needed in MAYBE the right amount. Awful, awful design.

That was true for the first week or so (if that), then they buffed the drop rates so insanely the game just fucking vomits good loot (I once went through 3 different weapons in 5 minutes because better ones kept dropping), and Loot 2.0 isn't even out yet.

And that's if we decide that the "I can't beat the game, it must be P2W and nothing at all to do with the fact that I can't use 2 buttons and breathe at the same time." crowd needs to be listened to instead of stamped on.

I'm a bit unclear on what you're saying. How much did you play? How far? I'm pretty damn sure you didnt progress through 3 different weapons in 5 minutes when you started playing on inferno/monster power levels. Before that, gear is really a non-issue because the game is so stupid easy. And honestly, diablo 3 gameplay is NOT rocket science. Its not a skill game. Your toon has few skills and few possibilities (mid combat) since you cant switch skills/strategy without a stupid break. If you got the gear, the game is a walk in the park, if you dont, its not.

Drop rates in Diablo 3 have been and still are a joke. The only reason its been a success on the console is because the loot was tweaked for no AH play. If you got the gear to farm on MP10 then its probably decent, but if you got that kinda gear....well....you havent been farming the game for it I can tell you that.

I think I can second that point about the gear for mp10 inferno farming. I have precisely 2 pieces of gear remaining that were actual drops which I use farming mp10. The rest were gold AH purchases. The distribution and nature of the drops were such that it is prohibitive to simply farm the gear on your own. It's doable, and people have done it. However, it is a frustrating task.

Of course, now that I can actually farm mp10, I don't care much about gear or the AH, which has caused me to not care much about the game because it doesn't really provide any interesting content. The entire game is just completely unmotivated. About the only good thing I can say about it is that, once you take out the AH, the current state of the game is nothing but a framework for a future game. However, it remains to be seen whether that future game is any good.

I was excited for D3 for the longest time leading up to launch. However, I read enough about it before purchase to realise it wasn't the game I had hoped for and I pulled away from it. Balance issues related to the Auction House and low difficulty on first playthrough being the main points. With these issues removed, I purchased the PS3 version just last week and my son, my wife & I are playing 3-player local co-op. The game lacks the magic of Diablo I & II, but then, neither of them had 3-player local co-op, and it's a more than serviceable hack-and-slash. Blizzard has lost their lustre for me in the past couple of years, but I give them full credit for fixing their broken game and putting out a console port which is superior, gameplay-wise, to the original.

tzimize:

I'm a bit unclear on what you're saying. How much did you play? How far?

About 80 hours on my Witch Doctor, just over double that with my Demon Hunter, I did a few MP10 runs but got bored because I had already beat Inferno and the achievements don't really care about MP, and now they're removing the AH the only reason I would go back would be if Reaper of Souls contains a video of the person responsible for that choice being run over.

I'm pretty damn sure you didnt progress through 3 different weapons in 5 minutes when you started playing on inferno/monster power levels.

It was about 25% of the way through Act IV Inferno (no MP I'll admit). Killed an Elite pack, found a better weapon than what I had. Found a better weapon than that on the next Unique, and the next Elite Pack after that dropped the "final" weapon. Uncommonly lucky I admit, but nevertheless proof that

Feel free to not believe me, since that event will exist regardless.

Before that, gear is really a non-issue because the game is so stupid easy.

If gear is a non-issue, why are you complaining about it? This basically turns your original post into "Good gear is basically impossible to get (but said gear doesn't matter in any meaningful way anyway)"

And honestly, diablo 3 gameplay is NOT rocket science. Its not a skill game. Your toon has few skills and few possibilities (mid combat) since you cant switch skills/strategy without a stupid break.

D3 requires you to be capable of moving and attacking at the same time. That's more skill than either of the previous games take (D2 and D1 can be pretty much mastered by any object heavy enough to weigh down the attack button)

If you got the gear, the game is a walk in the park, if you dont, its not.

Pretty sure you just contradicted yourself there.

Drop rates in Diablo 3 have been and still are a joke.

In the sense that the good stuff is now far too easy to get, I'll grant you that.

The only reason its been a success on the console is because the loot was tweaked for no AH play.

The Console version was a success? That's (sad) news to me. From what I'd heard it flopped miserably

If you got the gear to farm on MP10 then its probably decent, but if you got that kinda gear....well....you havent been farming the game for it I can tell you that.

It turns out that when you're not another lemming who tries to facetank Arcane Sentries and thinks the glowing red and green patches of mist on the ground are disco lights, the quality of the gear you need to have to succeed drops dramatically

How many regret buying it out of that 14 million? Probably around half, I know I freaking do. |:

Was one of those who got it in the first week and I've had nothing but love for it. I can't even make myself hate the auction house (the gold one, at least; the RMAH is completely pointless). Got a stashload of loot to pass on to the other characters so I wasn't desperately scrabbling for things off the AH, and it's only the lack of time (caused by, y'know, a day job) that's stopped me doing anything resembling worthwhile farming.

The always online requirement is silly, but not usually unbearable, and I'm aware that most of the time when the game lags like a bitch it's because most of the eight people in my house are torrenting/playing CoD/otherwise thrashing the internet and something's got to give. Yes, it makes hardcore unplayable, which is why I'm not playing that until I move out.

Reflects Damage can still go fuck itself, though. No game should ever exist in such a state that the biggest threat to your survival comes from yourself.

As with any MMO, sales numbers don't tell the whole story. The success of an MMO depends upon the number of active players who support the game. I'd like to see those current numbers against other games.

I didn't buy it because of the DRM, RMAH bullshit as well as the high pricetag, and I've never regretted it. Even when several of my friends bought it and wanted me to join them, I didn't relent because I simply could not see enough value for money in it.

It turns out I was right in more ways than one. My friends started complaining about not being able to log in due to server issues, and when they actually did get in there was latency problems to contend with. Then, when they finally got in and played through the campaign, they quickly got tired of it right afterwards due to the drop system and weird difficulty curve.
Then finally, to top it all off, I bought Torchlight 2 on a steam sale (an allegedly much better game than D3) and played that for maybe 3 hours before I realized that this genre didn't do anything for me anymore.

It would take a lot for me to care about D3 at this point. Not only would the RMAH have to dissapear (which it is), but the online component would have to disintegrate as well. Then, and only then, would I even consider picking the game up at a heavy discount.

I've watched my friends play both D3 and Path of Exile and, while I'm no expert, it seems to me that PoE is more diablo than D3 ever was.

Isn't it amazing what you can get away with in this industry?

Kinda sad that a game like this can do so well.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here