Blizzard Working On Warcraft 1, 2 Rerelease

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Blizzard's working on unearthing the classic RTS games from their MS-DOS prison.

In this modern age of gaming, World of Warcraft has taken the modest plotlines of the original strategy series and successively worked on each over the past decade. Crusades burned, Lich Kings wrathed, and then the entire world blew up. Players who want to explore the full backstory can play the fantastic Warcraft 3 and its Frozen Throne expansion pack, but the older games are sealed away under an arcane sigil known as MS-DOS. Blizzard has a team of arcane scholars working to get the classic games ready for a future rerelease on modern PCs.

The news was revealed at Blizzcon 2013, when WoW production director J. Allen Brack was asked if Blizzard planned to rerelease any of the older Warcraft titles. "So, we actually have a guy on our team - actually several guys on our team - who are actually working on a side project to do something like that in some form or fashion," Brack answered. "We're fans of Warcraft 1, Warcraft 2, Warcraft 3, and we'd love to replay those games for sure."

Warcraft: Humans and Orcs was released back in 1994 for MS-DOS. The next year brought Warcraft 2: Tides of Darkness and the Beyond the Dark Portal expansion soon after. Outside of Ebay and DOSBOX, there's no legal way to obtain these classics. While Blizzard hasn't talked about the nature of these rereleases, it just released the Warcraft contemporary Blackthrone for free via Battle.net. However you can, it would be good to brush up on the past before Warlords of Draenor drops!

Source: Polygon

So wait, Blizzard is actually acknowledging that they made three Warcraft games before their behemoth of an MMO? Well that's new and surprising.

Who knows, at this rate they might actually make a Warcraft 4. Okay, probably not, but it's slightly less improbable than it was a couple of weeks ago.

I wonder if it would ruin the game's balance if they added the ability to select more than 4 characters at a time. I remember it being much harder than the sequel partially due to selection size and pathfinding in cluttered areas.

Warcraft: Humans and Orcs was released back in 1994 for MS-DOS. The next year brought Warcraft 2: Tides of Darkness and the Beyond the Dark Portal expansion soon after. Outside of Ebay and DOSBOX, there's no legal way to obtain these classics.

Really? Glad I got an original copy way back when. Pretty sure I only paid like $14 or so for it.

-Dragmire-:
I wonder if it would ruin the game's balance if they added the ability to select more than 4 characters at a time. I remember it being much harder than the sequel partially due to selection size and pathfinding in cluttered areas.

Warcraft: Humans and Orcs was released back in 1994 for MS-DOS. The next year brought Warcraft 2: Tides of Darkness and the Beyond the Dark Portal expansion soon after. Outside of Ebay and DOSBOX, there's no legal way to obtain these classics.

Really? Glad I got an original copy way back when. Pretty sure I only paid like $14 or so for it.

yeah some games are either insane prices or harder to find then real live alien

I hope this winds up being a Starcraft 2 mod or a full on HD remake instead of just a simple port.

I really just can't stand old RTS games anymore.

BanicRhys:
I hope this winds up being a Starcraft 2 mod or a full on HD remake instead of just a simple port.

I really just can't stand old RTS games.

This is my problem as well.

I played these games when they came out. But that was then, we're at now now. We can't go back to then, because we past then...just now.

I've the first two games on DOSBOX, I'd love for a rerelease, hopefully they will make the graphics better, that is I want to play it in a window bigger then 640 by 480.

I still frickin' love Warcraft I. Except for Human Mission 7, the one where all your peasants are stuck in a stockade. That one was a pain in the arse.

And yeah, nice of Blizzard to remember that Warcraft used to be an awesome RTS series rather than a behemoth of a mumorpuger.

They could have always given it to GOG.
I'm sure they would have worked the hell out of them.

captcha:
double rainbow

Remember how you had to build buildings on a road in the original? That was crazy.

Warcraft: Humans and Orcs was released back in 1994 for MS-DOS. The next year brought Warcraft 2: Tides of Darkness

What! Blizzard released a sequel the year after the previous game? Must be a different company.

I'd rather be sailing.

Warcraft and Warcraft 2 were a big part of my gaming back in my early twenties, until I discovered JA and SSG's Warlords II Deluxe. I just love me some turn based.

fwiffo:

BanicRhys:

I really just can't stand old RTS games.

This is my problem as well.

I played these games when they came out. But that was then, we're at now now. We can't go back to then, because we past then...just now.

LOL, I see what you did there.

I never played these two games, in the 90's I was a console gamer. My favorite RTS series is the Age of games and I can't even go back to 1 and 2 and they are several years newer.

fwiffo:

So, when will then be now?
Soon, I hope.

Ah, nostalgia...though I can't help but fear that these re-releases will come with some ridiculous requirement.
They're classics, but have not aged well at all.

BanicRhys:

I really just can't stand old RTS games anymore.

The original is remarkably ancient and incredibly difficult to get into today. However, the vague answer that was given makes me wonder if they're planning on something special. It's easy to put a DOSBOX wrapper on something, but it might be that they're planning a more subtle reworking. I guess only time will tell.

{http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPceWwNia6I}
That music still sends chills down my spine. Just hearing it brings back the memories of a dozen campaigns.
Graphics are so hilariously bad though they're almost good.

As long as I don't have to build shit next to roads in the remake, I'm sold! And fix the gad damn pathfinding!

I played Warcraft one soooo many times. I still love going back and playing them on Dosbox even now. I loved having to build on a road so much that sometimes I would waste time making my base look cool.

Warcraft 2's battle.net servers are still running I think.
So that means online battles again (hopefully).

Interesting news, to be honest I wonder if the demise of "Warhammer Online" has anything to do with it.

To set the way back machine, Warcraft was originally developed as a Warhammer video game, the devs sent a demo for it to "Games Workshop" and got a "no thanks" response, but was told that they could develop and release the game on their own if they wanted to. This is an important point, because it explains why there has been so much similarity in terms of art style and concepts, especially early on between Warcraft and Warhammer, this was done with permission, in a way that probably wouldn't happen nowadays. Honestly this is probably something that Games Workshop has been kicking themselves over for decades now, given it's generally mediocre forays into the game development front.

If your interested in information on the subject doing a search for "Warcraft inspired by Warhammer" and you'll probably run into a number of places where this is pointed out.

At any rate, where things get weird though is that I heard the original two Warcraft games wound up never being updated and re-released for legal reasons and an agreement with Games Workshop, the idea being that the plotlines and concepts from Warcraft 3 and World Of Warcraft diverged enough from Warhammer that they weren't going to pick that fight (and the chunky/blocky artstyle was something they couldn't come close to winning due to the original permissions). Basically Games Workshop wanted to be able to pimp it's IPs to developers without those developers having to worry about the more directly Warhammer-like games opening up potential doors for them to basically wind up competing against the same license they paid for.

Now with the big Warhammer Fantasy title out of the way, and the support of EA/Mythic not behind it, it seems likely that they have the opportunity to release these games, which is why we've gotten the announcement.

I'm commenting because over the years I've seen a lot of discussions on the subject (which is where a lot of this info have come from) as to why Blizzard hadn't kit bashed working copies of the first two Warcraft games and tossed them into a collectors edition on a flash drive or something before now.

I have complete faith that Blizzard will completely and totally fuck this up in ways we can only begin to imagine. Warcrap 3 was the precursory fart to the massive turd that is WoW.

This would be a good way for Blizzard to market the Battle.net Launcher they've been working on (I think it's in beta right now; basically it's like Steam, only for Blizzard's games). Once the B.net Launcher (BnL?) is ready for primetime, just put the promo out there that anyone with a valid B.net account (aka: you own any of the current Blizzard games) can download and play the classic Warcraft games via the launcher.

I can't say I ever enjoyed playing WarCraft 1 or 2's campaign -though I liked the campaign in WarCraft 3- but I enjoyed the multiplayer immensely. I'm sure I spent hundreds of hours playing with friends over Lan and modem and I still play WarCraft 3 occasionally with some buddies.

Hard to believe at some point I was actually looking forward to WoW.

Huh, well that might be worth a look at, if nothing else

Outside of Ebay and DOSBOX, there's no legal way to obtain these classics.

I could swear Battle.net still sells Warcraft 2, though you're probably right about the first game.

ahaha no. Nostalgia carries me only so far.
I alreary fear for the homeworld series especially since the new relicbone kinda misses the point on what made the others great. . . hint, it had to do with starships shooting each other. That was great. Can we please get that again in kickass supergraphics?

-Dragmire-:

Argh, yes, that was my first thought too.

Kinitawowi:
I still frickin' love Warcraft I. Except for Human Mission 7, the one where all your peasants are stuck in a stockade. That one was a pain in the arse.

Heh, yeah. Or, that one where you rescue the knight and the archers from the ogre caves...there's a room where if you tell your units to go to the bottom of the map, the go to the bottom of the room, follow the wall to the left, go up the left wall, across the top wall, and back down again into an endless loop.

(Also, you can heal an archer the other side of a cave wall to your starting position, and not have to send people to fight their way to them)

Stryc9:
I have complete faith that Blizzard will completely and totally fuck this up in ways we can only begin to imagine. Warcrap 3 was the precursory fart to the massive turd that is WoW.

OT: It's nice to see Blizzard remember that WC used to be an amazing rts brand. Hopefully they'll slip back into old habbits

I love Tides of Darkness and have put countless hours into it over the years. This news excites me a lot, especially if they make the first one actually playable.

I still have the original game on floppy-disks somewhere deep down in my closet. I haven't owned a PC with a diskdrive for over 10 years though...

Probably would give it a try if only for nostalgia's sake.

I made a post in a Heroes of the Storm news thread how most of Blizz's projects seem to be focused on how awesome their games USED to be (Harthstone, Heroes of the Storm, Warlords of Draenor). And now Blizz pretty much confirms that by revealing that their next project is precisely that - their old games.

If you love all the stuff you used to do, why not start doing stuff like that again? Or why not do a new IP of some kind, you could use it for Heroes of the Storm then, since you're really reaching (seriously, the Gryphon Rider Dude is an iconic character now?)...

IanDavis:

Blizzard's working on unearthing the classic RTS games from their MS-DOS prison.

In this modern age of gaming, World of Warcraft has taken the modest plotlines of the original strategy series and successively worked on each over the past decade. Crusades burned, Lich Kings wrathed, and then the entire world blew up. Players who want to explore the full backstory can play the fantastic Warcraft 3 and its Frozen Throne expansion pack, but the older games are sealed away under an arcane sigil known as MS-DOS. Blizzard has a team of arcane scholars working to get the classic games ready for a future rerelease on modern PCs.

The news was revealed at Blizzcon 2013, when WoW production director J. Allen Brack was asked if Blizzard planned to rerelease any of the older Warcraft titles. "So, we actually have a guy on our team - actually several guys on our team - who are actually working on a side project to do something like that in some form or fashion," Brack answered. "We're fans of Warcraft 1, Warcraft 2, Warcraft 3, and we'd love to replay those games for sure."

Warcraft: Humans and Orcs was released back in 1994 for MS-DOS. The next year brought Warcraft 2: Tides of Darkness and the Beyond the Dark Portal expansion soon after. Outside of Ebay and DOSBOX, there's no legal way to obtain these classics. While Blizzard hasn't talked about the nature of these rereleases, it just released the Warcraft contemporary Blackthrone for free via Battle.net. However you can, it would be good to brush up on the past before Warlords of Draenor drops!

Source: Polygon

While the original Warcraft II release does indeed not work on a modern system, the battle.net edition works absolutely fine on windows 7. In fact, I played through the whole game only a month ago, and I haven't touched MS-DOS in a decade (or DOSBOX at all, for that matter).

Jandau:
I made a post in a Heroes of the Storm news thread how most of Blizz's projects seem to be focused on how awesome their games USED to be (Harthstone, Heroes of the Storm, Warlords of Draenor). And now Blizz pretty much confirms that by revealing that their next project is precisely that - their old games.

If you love all the stuff you used to do, why not start doing stuff like that again?

Prehaps they're just using this to test whether doing "stuff like that again" would actually be worth doing or whether it'll just get them a load of people whining "omg they're just copy-pasting their old stuff now[1]"

Or why not do a new IP of some kind, you could use it for Heroes of the Storm then

What about Project Titan? That's a new IP, though admittedly I think it's kinda "in limbo" now (not that I think a new Blizzard IP would do well at all)

(seriously, the Gryphon Rider Dude is an iconic character now?)

I'd say he's fairly iconic, since most of the Vanilla WoW art (and some of the various covers) featured him quite heavily.

[1] Sure we've been asking you to do this for ages, but bashing you is "in" so we'll bitch at you regardless of what you actually do.

Man, oh man.... what good memories I have of WarCraft 1 and 2!!! I would be tickled as punch if they would bring these out for the consoles, and I could do it all over again.

ccdohl:
Remember how you had to build buildings on a road in the original? That was crazy.

Next to a road.

When I played Warcraft as a kid I remember that I moved all the units individually, lining them up into battle formations with the crossbowmen/spearorcs behind a line of warriors. You could only select a maximum of 4 units at a time and movement was awkward, so grouping them was usually not worth it.

The orc battleline was at a disadvantage to humans though, because the range of spearorcs was one tile lower than the crossbowmen. So human crossbowmen would hit your warriors without the spearorcs hitting them back.

And the endgame was all about creating wizards and warlocks, spamming demons and water elementals. :)

Fun times. But I don't see myself going back to Warcraft... I don't mind old graphics, but primitive controls are a real blocker for me. Warcraft 2 I would probably replay.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here