Ubisoft Says Open World Games Are the Future

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Ubisoft Says Open World Games Are the Future

Ubisoft Logo

Ubisoft credits open-world games and digital distribution for first-half sales of nearly $400 million.

Ubisoft reported sales of €293 million ($394 million) for the first half of its 2013-14 fiscal year today, a five percent increase over the €279 million ($375 million) it took in over the same period the previous year. Gross profit was also up, from €193 million ($259 million) to €202 million ($271 million), while the overall non-IFRS operating loss for the half hit €98 million ($132 million), up from €58 million ($78 million) in the first half of 2012-13.

Ubisoft credited the solid showing to "robust back-catalog sales" driven by Far Cry 3 and Assassin's Creed 3, and a 29 percent increase in digital sales. CEO Yves Guillemot predicted that the coming launches of the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 will be "a new driving force for the industry," and said that the company intends to take full advantage of the growing popularity of open-world games and digital distribution.

"This deep-seated market trend - which Ubisoft has fully embraced - is going to move up another gear when the next-generation consoles arrive. At the same time, the ongoing growth in our digital business demonstrates the progress we have made in an area which is set to expand even further in the coming years," he said. "Consequently, we are continuing to make strides in the implementation of our strategy, by concentrating our resources on regular releases of our open world franchises, investing in digital expertise and increasing the visibility of our brands, notably through movies and TV series."

Ubisoft said it expects third quarter sales of €500 to €540 million ($672 to $726 million), down 33 to 38 percent compared to the third quarter of 2012-13, which it attributed to last year's release of Far Cry 3. The company is standing by its full-year outlook, which it recently adjusted downward to between €995 million and €1.045 billion ($1.34 billion and $1.41 billion).

Source: Ubisoft

Does that mean it's only Far Cry and Assassin's Creed games that are going to come out of Ubisoft in the future, because that would be a really depressing outlook.

I love open world games and all, but it doesn't have to be the end all of the company. They could use other IPs that are just sitting around that left their fans with annoying cliffhangers...

I really don't like when companies say "X is the future!!!!1!1!". They're usually wrong and with that prediction promote stupid policies that aren't intact with the consumers' ideologies. The only future it's possible to predict at the moment is "all digital" and that is at least a decade, maybe 2, off.

Ubisoft, I'm sorry, but you're late to the party. Open World games are the now. Pretty much any game with more than a token Single Player game mode has some sort of open world. What percentage of games need to be open world before you consider it the now?

Ugh. No. I'm starting to get a little bored of open-worlds and all the busy work.

Open world games are the past, present and future. As is pretty much any game type.

Outright limiting your gaming company to one type is a stupid idea. A good game of any type will sell, games do not just sell because they are open world.

More likely good games are the future. There is a reason Far Cry 3 sold well, it wasn't because it was open world.

Look, I like open world games, but I don't always want an open world game. Sometimes I honestly just like a good linear game. Sure, add a little bit of exploration, but there are times where I want a well thought out, crafted experience. Leaving me to create my own story isn't always the best option.

After sinking several million into development I should hope so, assuming you've got the money/patients/balls to do so. Great advice Ubisoft, I'm sure it's said the same about your DRM.

Well..maybe your future Ubisoft. I like an open world game but I also happen to like focused linier narrative driven games as well so you go ahead Ubisoft, be the publisher that deals in open world games I am totally fine with that.

So was GTA3 a decade ahead of it's time? Rockstar must be able to predict the future or something.

My god big publishers are retarded. Games don't have to be open world to be good. Just look at the fuckin' history of video games. They are in for a terrible surprise once gamers get tired of their same old crap. All of their open world games incorporate the same freakin' elements now. Grinding for stuff so you can craft stuff, revealing parts of the map by reaching a high point etc. You can only get away with that formula for a while before it gets boring.

Hey Ubisoft, remember when always online was the future?

We do...

Dear Ubisoft,

Can open world games please be a PART of the future? I'd hate to have to stop playing games because someone decided 'the future' can only be comprised of a game type I can't seem to get into.

Thanks,

-Me

No, Ubisoft, one single type of game is not the future. Or at least, it sure as hell shouldn't be. I've loved (and hated) open-world games and the same goes for linear experiences too.

Yeah and they will always be the future and never the present if they keep delaying games like Watchdogs

Avoid accepting out-of-context quotes as actual 'reportage'.

Full statement reads...

Yves Guillemot:

The PS4 and Xbox One will be released in a few days time and will be a new driving force for the industry. We are confident in our capacity to rise to the short-term challenges posed by the transition phase, thanks to the very high quality of our games, which, combined with the upcoming arrival of the next-generation consoles and the traditional ramp-up of sales during the Christmas season will trigger positive momentum towards the end of the year.

Open world games are becoming ever-more popular with gamers. These creations give gamers the freedom of expression and immersive experiences that are now central to their expectations. This deep-seated market trend - which Ubisoft has fully embraced - is going to move up another gear when the next-generation consoles arrive. At the same time, the ongoing growth in our digital business demonstrates the progress we have made in an area which is set to expand even further in the coming years. Consequently, we are continuing to make strides in the implementation of our strategy, by concentrating our resources on regular releases of our open world franchises, investing in digital expertise and increasing the visibility of our brands, notably through movies and TV series.

This year, Ubisoft has constantly stood out for the very high quality of its creations. This will be a determining factor for ensuring our future success and enhancing our financial performance. In 2014-15, we intend to step up the level even further by launching a number of particularly ambitious titles under both new brands and established franchises, starting as of the first quarter of the fiscal year, with the release of Watch Dogs.

Not that I'm a fan of M. Guillemot particularly (and this is, after all, just PR twaddle for stockholders), but don't condemn through hearsay.

Well, I say: Old Men are the future. Warning. Warning.

Technically, they're the present.

CleverCover:
Does that mean it's only Far Cry and Assassin's Creed games that are going to come out of Ubisoft in the future, because that would be a really depressing outlook.

I'm hoping the next Rocksmith will be open world, myself.

I really like open world games, but there's no way in hell there won't be a place in the future for linear experiences too.

So once again, ubisoft displays its complete unawareness of the medium they work in.

I wonder if their 2015 Allstar brawler game Legends of Ubisoft will be open world.

So in other words, publishers/Ubisoft will push half-assed open-world games as the new brown military shooters?

Echhh. I know this is a song we've all sung to death, but why can't we just have some goddamn variety?

Falterfire:
Ubisoft, I'm sorry, but you're late to the party. Open World games are the now. Pretty much any game with more than a token Single Player game mode has some sort of open world. What percentage of games need to be open world before you consider it the now?

Above commenter voted for XCOM: Enemy Unknown for 2012 Game of the Year. Just thought I would throw that out there.

Oh again "the future". Can we please just pass an edict that whoever says "the future" in a PR aspect has a superglue accident and has to spend a few weeks keeping their mouth shut after they get out of ER?

Seriously.

Living_Brain:
I really don't like when companies say "X is the future!!!!1!1!". They're usually wrong and with that prediction promote stupid policies that aren't intact with the consumers' ideologies. The only future it's possible to predict at the moment is "all digital" and that is at least a decade, maybe 2, off.

Pretty impressive, considering a few years ago the industry said that multiplayer shooters were the future, and single player games were on the way out. Then Bethesda releases Skyrim and the game changed. Now open world games are "the future." I wonder what the next genre to take over will be. In any case, statements like these are how you separate the trendsetters from the followers. Spoiler alert, Ubisoft aren't the trend setters...

Baldr:
I wonder if their 2015 Allstar brawler game Legends of Ubisoft will be open world.

I've always wanted an open-world brawler. When my opponent has hammered seven shades of shit out of me and I'm just about to bite it, I want to be able to jump in a car, drive to the other side of the giant map and hide behind a dumpster until they have to log off, thereby granting me victory. Add in 64 player MP and it could turn into virtual hide and seek.

edit: Fuck it... I may have to start working on a mod when I finish my exams on the weekend. A giant map for hiding and the seeking thereof.

Adam Jensen:
My god big publishers are retarded. Games don't have to be open world to be good. Just look at the fuckin' history of video games. They are in for a terrible surprise once gamers get tired of their same old crap. All of their open world games incorporate the same freakin' elements now. Grinding for stuff so you can craft stuff, revealing parts of the map by reaching a high point etc. You can only get away with that formula for a while before it gets boring.

^This. I don't know about everybody else, but most of the most immersive, entertaining, and altogether best games I've ever played are largely linear games rather than open world ones, that's not to say that the latter is incapable of being as good as the former. However, for the most part it seems like open world games focus on giving the player as many choices as possible so that the player instead of the actual writer make up the story and characters motivations, while single player games tend to focus on making a well crafted story and good characters at the expense of limiting player freedom.

The Tales series is exactly the latter and it's my favorite game series yet.

The problem is Ubisoft doesn't understand the actual meaning of 'open world'.

'Open up this part of the map by climbing this tower' is NOT open world. Nor is stuffing in a bunch of repetitive missions and side content that lacks any actual substance.

If you actually look closely at the mechanics and missions, Far Cry 3 was a carbon copy of Assassin's Creed: 'Clear this area, get to this look out point, kill this person, collect these meaningless things' /yawn.

Prove me wrong Watch Doge...prove me wrong.

No, ubisoft, you're just too lazy to create a tightly controlled experience so you instead create a big map and drop a few things to do here and there with an excuse of a reason for it being relevant.
I'm tired of companies saying "Bullshit Copout X is the future!"

Way to be on top of the newest story from the year GTA3 was released Ubisoft.

Next week they will probably release a press release about how World War II games are out and modern military shooters are in!

While it is obviously wrong to restrict ones company to a single genre, if we had to restrict gaming to any one genre, I would actually be cool with this.

everything is the future for them. who said that open world are the future? yes open world are fun but not eveyone likes it. ah ubisoft, you sure dont surprise anymore.

Angelous Wang:
Outright limiting your gaming company to one type is a stupid idea. A good game of any type will sell, games do not just sell because they are open world.

I'd like to think that's always true, but I can name quite a few good games that didn't sell too well, or drown in obscurity. Though in a general sense, you're still right.

synobal:
More likely good games are the future. There is a reason Far Cry 3 sold well, it wasn't because it was open world.

See, we get this. Why cant Ubisoft?

Can we show Ubisoft the Jimquisition episode about pasta sauce? Actually, can we tie all big publishers to chairs, tape their eyes open, and make them watch every episode of the Jimquisition?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here