Rumor: Bethesda Teases Next Fallout With New Website - UPDATED

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

trty00:

JoJo:

Scorpid:

Sorry this would suck. The Fallout verse is set squarely in north America, it's entire atmosphere is geared that way. I mean it's like if there was a 'Leave it to beaver' season 5 was set in europe, the change of setting would completely undermine the entire premise of the series. Fallout setting just isn't interesting outside Canada and the U.S.. Because the idealization of America is irrelevant outside the US/Canada, where you know, other cultures have different ideals. It's just a waste/exploitation of the fallout brand name.

Nah, I disagree. Fifties Americana is a core part of the series but I see no reason why that can't be viewed through the lens of British culture at a similar time, which of course had a great deal of influence from the States. Would it be a change? Undoubtedly yes. I don't see any reason however why it would necessarily be a change for the worse, it would keep the series fresh and it would still have the whole post-apocalyptic survival theme, humour and everything else the series is known for. I'd hardly expect that to be uninteresting.

This.

While the series is undoubtedly rooted in Americana (similar to GTA), there's no reason it can't be subverted into something new or be viewed from a different perspective. If we don't innovate, we stagnate.

While im ok with it taking place somewhere else, I can't think of attempting to hardcore remake/dedicate the history fallout trys to do with say china or canada without possibly offending someone. I'd be cool with checking out china or even canada though. From what the lore says, china got hit with the same amount of atomic bombs, so it would be interesting

Everyone's thinking Europe - if this is legit... but has anyone here mentioned that in Canada, we follow the sane way of dating conventions? Day/Month/Year? So it could be Canada. A quick Google tells me there's a Bridgeport in Ontario, but most of the results I get are for a train station in BC, south of Vancouver... so basically right north of Seattle... which the area has been bandied around as a possible setting for Fallout 4.

However, I'm not inclined to believe this is real, either. It'd be nice - very nice - but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Edit: The Ontario Bridgeport is apparently near Waterloo, which is quite close to Buffalo.

Darmy647:
Snipped because Wall o' Text

Offend who? The hardcore Fallout fans who want everything to stay the same? While I don't think you should actively try to piss off your fanbase, fans can get pretty ridiculous. Zelda fans freaked out over the look of Wind Waker and DMC fans freaked out over the new direction of the series, even though it was only a stylistic one, so they can get pretty irrational.

JoJo:

Scorpid:

JoJo:
I really hope this isn't a hoax and it's set in London or elsewhere in England, fingers crossed!

Sorry this would suck. The Fallout verse is set squarely in north America, it's entire atmosphere is geared that way. I mean it's like if there was a 'Leave it to beaver' season 5 was set in europe, the change of setting would completely undermine the entire premise of the series. Fallout setting just isn't interesting outside Canada and the U.S.. Because the idealization of America is irrelevant outside the US/Canada, where you know, other cultures have different ideals. It's just a waste/exploitation of the fallout brand name.

Nah, I disagree. Fifties Americana is a core part of the series but I see no reason why that can't be viewed through the lens of British culture at a similar time, which of course had a great deal of influence from the States. Would it be a change? Undoubtedly yes. I don't see any reason however why it would necessarily be a change for the worse, it would keep the series fresh and it would still have the whole post-apocalyptic survival theme, humour and everything else the series is known for. I'd hardly expect that to be uninteresting.

I think it would be very interesting to see a post apocolyptic absurdist version of Pax Britannica but Fallout just isn't suited to bring us that. Fallout isn't even a globe trotting setting, I've always assumed that the rest of world was dead or all but because they didn't have a capitalist based survivalist option like the Vaults. Every single encounter in the Fallout verse with people that survived without the use of Vaults are basically savages (with one notable exception from FO2) and ghouls. So if we went to Britain/Europe (Let's be honest it would be Britain and England more specifically). It wouldn't have much to offer that would fit the world in which the entire series has focused entirely on America since the very beginning to now. This universe isn't Assassins Creed or CoD in which a change of venue could add something really interesting it would just be wasted because it would have to be shoe horned in with the Fallout setting, which is an unnatural marriage so you couldn't do the newest setting justice and you would be wasting the universe of fallout on this.

Akichi Daikashima:

piinyouri:

Akichi Daikashima:
A next-gen Fallout title?

OH GOD PLEASE YES.

God knows that the graphics in the recent Fallout games are pretty low-end, a touch up would be nice, or alternatively, a huge expansion of the world, using the same graphics, but using the remaining processor power to deepen the game.

Or better than all that, a new engine to fix the root of all the problems.

I find the combat against the numerous glitches and bugs to be part of the authentic Fallout experience.

So true. I have been playing Fallout since the Pentium III. When people were complaining about Fallout 3 being a failed reboot because of the bugs and glitches, I was all like... that is just a part of the Fallout experience my young friend.

Nostalgic bug: Game crashes because of an explosion from the C4 you covertly place in someones pocket.

trty00:

Darmy647:

Offend who? The hardcore Fallout fans who want everything to stay the same? While I don't think you should actively try to piss off your fanbase, fans can get pretty ridiculous. Zelda fans freaked out over the look of Wind Waker and DMC fans freaked out over the new direction of the series, even though it was only a stylistic one, so they can get pretty irrational.

There are other places to go, you could go to the American south, canada, Cuba/Florida, Texas (though it would probably be more of New Vegas). Fallout hasn't completely explored its twist on 50's america.

I do like myself a good countdown page (provided it is counting down to something interesting). It would be cool if the game ended up taking on a different sitting - it would be intriguing to have a turn at seeing what my home country looks like in Fallout's post-nuclear apocalypse setting. I'm sure it's not too much of a stretch to imagine other countries having their own vault-like solutions, or that Vault-Tec didn't just limit their operations to the States. Though that said, that 50s Americana style is quite a major part of the series - I do wonder what a Fallout game would feel like without it.

Scorpid:

JoJo:
I really hope this isn't a hoax and it's set in London or elsewhere in England, fingers crossed!

This. Moving it to europe or elsewhere would no longer be Fallout, it would be 'insert random post apoc game with the fallout name slapped on' like Syndicate was to the actual Syndicates.

Fallout should go to North United States (Canada Annex) before it goes anywhere else. Atleast mine out all the possibilities in whats really fallout before taking away what little remains of actual fallout.

Chaosritter:
I wanna see the next Fallout playing in Canada.

Blood-thirsty mutant mooses, mounties in power armor and free wasteland healthcare. God, that'd be awesome...

Don't forget the guns that say "Sorry" every time you pull the trigger to fire your maple syrup laser.

Even in the real 1950's, the rest of the world weren't just howels made out of goat manure who had never heard of Coca Cola. America and everything American was big and hip, and it wouldn't be unreasonable to assume this went up to ridiculous levels just like everything else in the Fallout universe.
And to provide an even better connection to America, remember all the U.S. Airforce bases in Germany and other places. The game could easily include one of them. Perhaps guarding a dark secret. A secret the Institute wants retrieved, and have sent an expeditionary force to recover.

Bam. Even more tightly knit to the proper Americana if the country in question has gone through the Canada treatment during the Resource Wars and become an American puppet state.

A spin-off abroad would work. It would work just fine, if enough care and attention is given in making it fit together with the rest of the series. And a change of scenery in general would be rather welcome. South America would be interesting. Imagine what intense radiation might do to a few already nasty jungle creatures.

About time we get another fallout game! (if that's what it is)
Looking forward to the announcement :)

(If it's a tablet/smartphone game, I will murder something)

I REALLY REALLY REALLY want this to be centered around "The Institute" hinted at in FO3, that would be by far the most interesting of prospects for the Fallout series. New technology interacting with old technology for supremacy, think about it, THINK ABOUT IT!

A point in my favor is the inclusion of Three Dog.

Mcoffey:
Hopefully they ditch the moldy, cardboard box of an engine that is Creation. Everything looks pretty (but only by Bethesda standards), but it's held together with tape and twine. I've had completely unmodded installs of Skyrim crash before even getting to the title screen, and then a few weeks later start up just fine, with no tinkering by me.

While Oblivion and the original Fallout 3 tended to crash on me every couple of hours by default, I can't remember Skyrim crashing on me even once. And it looks better and runs faster than Oblivion too.

Mcoffey:

Seriously, Bethesda: Just have id or someone make your engine. You guys cant code for shit. You're worlds are big, but they're not that big. Other sandboxe games have come and gone with just as much content and are way more stable than anything you guys have put out.

You really can't compare a Elder Scrolls/Fallout type game to a first person shooter like Id makes or a actiony sandbox game like Just Cause or GTA. You have no idea just how much more is going on in a Bethesda RPG compared to a standard FPS.

I'm not even American and I know this series needs to stay in America. The cultural references to 1950's America is part of what makes Fallout what it is.

Without the American feel, it may as well not be Fallout.

trty00:

Darmy647:

If the next fallout did take place in china, how would they handle it? Thats all im saying, is if it somehow makes another region look bad.

Genocidicles:
I'm not even American and I know this series needs to stay in America. The cultural references to 1950's America is part of what makes Fallout what it is.

That is absolutely true, the 50's world of tomorrow is strictly American.

But, do any other countries have anything comparable? A Fallout game set outside the US can't reasonably be the 50's world of tomorrow setting, but it does not mean it can't be done with the same sense of humor take on some other country's view of a high technology future.

Scorpid:

trty00:

Darmy647:

There are other places to go, you could go to the American south, canada, Cuba/Florida, Texas (though it would probably be more of New Vegas). Fallout hasn't completely explored its twist on 50's america.

What exactly makes it inapproriate for Fallout to explore to other parts of the world? Other than "It's not how Fallout does things". What's the difference that makes Florida okay but UK not?
Wherever they go there's gonna be new groups and factions, new creatures, and a new twist on 50's values and such.

I don't see why Fallout has to be confined to the things it has already explored. That just makes the series stagnant.
With that mentality, Fallout 3 would still be set in California and we wouldn't have things like the Capital Wasteland or Ceasar's Legion.

OT:
I really hope it's real. It seems approriate for Bethesda to announce something new since I assume the devs that worked on Skyrim haven't just been sitting around doing nothing.

Gwen Utopia:

Scorpid:

trty00:

What exactly makes it inapproriate for Fallout to explore to other parts of the world? Other than "It's not how Fallout does things". What's the difference that makes Florida okay but UK not?
Wherever they go there's gonna be new groups and factions, new creatures, and a new twist on 50's values and such.

I don't see why Fallout has to be confined to the things it has already explored. That just makes the series stagnant.
With that mentality, Fallout 3 would still be set in California and we wouldn't have things like the Capital Wasteland or Ceasar's Legion.

OT:
I really hope it's real. It seems approriate for Bethesda to announce something new since I assume the devs that worked on Skyrim haven't just been sitting around doing nothing.

I dont have any problem with them branching out to diffrent regions. I just hope no over-react idiots take it personally or far too seriously is all. Offended idiots are a pain.

Darmy647:

Gwen Utopia:

Scorpid:

OT:

I dont have any problem with them branching out to diffrent regions. I just hope no over-react idiots take it personally or far too seriously is all. Offended idiots are a pain.

I wouldn't get my hopes up. There's will always be someone complaining about how "whatever-thing" was or wasn't in the previous games. Fallout-fans in particular...

Gwen Utopia:

Darmy647:

Gwen Utopia:

OT:

I wouldn't get my hopes up. There's will always be someone complaining about how "whatever-thing" was or wasn't in the previous games. Fallout-fans in particular...

well in all fairness, like New vegas showed us, certain areas were hit hardest by the bombs and certain areas were not. Where they will go next im not sure.

*sniff sniff* I can smell someone firing up a shiskebab and a pungent breath of whiskey.

Cookie for reference

Tiamat666:

Mcoffey:
Hopefully they ditch the moldy, cardboard box of an engine that is Creation. Everything looks pretty (but only by Bethesda standards), but it's held together with tape and twine. I've had completely unmodded installs of Skyrim crash before even getting to the title screen, and then a few weeks later start up just fine, with no tinkering by me.

While Oblivion and the original Fallout 3 tended to crash on me every couple of hours by default, I can't remember Skyrim crashing on me even once. And it looks better and runs faster than Oblivion too.

Mcoffey:

Seriously, Bethesda: Just have id or someone make your engine. You guys cant code for shit. You're worlds are big, but they're not that big. Other sandboxe games have come and gone with just as much content and are way more stable than anything you guys have put out.

You really can't compare a Elder Scrolls/Fallout type game to a first person shooter like Id makes or a actiony sandbox game like Just Cause or GTA. You have no idea just how much more is going on in a Bethesda RPG compared to a standard FPS.

Skyrim is certainly prettier than Oblivion, personally I've had less issues with Oblivion than Skyrim. I think it's just their engine. The more they mess with it the more unstable it gets.

And while id does make very different games, they make great software. Bethesda just needs one good, versatile engine, something like Unreal, and that would probably keep them for the entire next gen lifespan.

Oh cool, can't wait for more new...!?

27 day countdown timer

S-Seems so long...oh well, the Atlus announcement is almost here, that should tide me over until then.

I have serious doubts about this countdown, not getting my hopes up.

I personally wouldn't hate the idea of a Europe-based Fallout, but it does seem contradictory to what the other Fallouts have been doing all these years, the other games sort of pretend the rest of the world doesn't exist, (which I kind of hate, being Canadian), but they do tend to loosely tie in some things from the earlier games and trying to all-of-a-sudden tie events happening in Europe to those happening in the states, even though nobody in any Fallout game has ever acknowledged any contact with any other nation would be rather jarring.

I also remember an interview with the devs saying they wouldn't do that sort of thing because they would prefer to write what they know or something like that. But that may have been Obsidian saying that, so that may not count for much.

Tiamat666:
I can't remember Skyrim crashing on me even once.

Wow are you kidding? It definitely crashes less, but it was also much less complex than Fallout(in Fallout mutliple quests were woven together and interacted with each other, and almost every character you could talk to had their own unique dialogue, Skyrim had some quests that would affect the main quest in some ways, but not much else). I definitely wouldn't want Fallout-flavoured Skyrim, blech.

Anyway. HOAX.

Scorpid:

JoJo:

Not only that, but it's been well established in the Fallout lore that post-war Europe is dead. D-E-A-D DEAD!
The understanding is that during the resource war, when the UN split up and America annexed Canada, the infighting and inability to agree on a plan of action rendered the nations of Europe incapable of defending themselves against the encroaching Nuclear Armageddon, and as a result, damn near nobody other then the United States and China still have livable atmospheres. The Fallout Bible has more on all this, and it's talked about from time to time in FO1&2.

OT: Even though I know deep down that this is probably a hoax, I reeeeeally want to play a next-gen Fallout title, and it has been quite a few years since New Vegas, so the time is about right.
I guess we'll see on December 11th...

Genocidicles:

Yes, but once again, American culture tends to spread, and it did so espesially in the 1950's. I can imagine that it was an even greater cultural force in the Fallout universe.

Pretty much all of the Western world in that universe were likely sipping Nuka-Cola and dreaming about big, nuclear mile-eaters.

valium:

That is absolutely true, the 50's world of tomorrow is strictly American.

But, do any other countries have anything comparable? A Fallout game set outside the US can't reasonably be the 50's world of tomorrow setting, but it does not mean it can't be done with the same sense of humor take on some other country's view of a high technology future.

The 50's World of Tomorrow certainly did exist in the outside world at that time. Perhaps as a localized variant, but the broad strokes were there.

Madame_le_Flour:

Not only that, but it's been well established in the Fallout lore that post-war Europe is dead. D-E-A-D DEAD!
The understanding is that during the resource war, when the UN split up and America annexed Canada, the infighting and inability to agree on a plan of action rendered the nations of Europe incapable of defending themselves against the encroaching Nuclear Armageddon, and as a result, damn near nobody other then the United States and China still have livable atmospheres. The Fallout Bible has more on all this, and it's talked about from time to time in FO1&2.

OT: Even though I know deep down that this is probably a hoax, I reeeeeally want to play a next-gen Fallout title, and it has been quite a few years since New Vegas, so the time is about right.
I guess we'll see on December 11th...

Well, it'd still be worth their time showing us that. It doesn't have to have an entire game for itself, but it'd certainly be DLC material.

Perhaps as an Institute thing, a rebuilt ship carrying scientists and their hired guns (including Mister or Miss Player) travels east or south to recover tech they've found out about in old Pre-War CIA documents recently uncovered.

It'd be interesting, perhaps there could be a gasmask/rebreather mechanic as you explore the lunar landscape, or whatever form it'd take.

*27 days from now*

This is Bethesda announcing a new installment in the fallout series. Its free to play and only on iOS.

Set it in Australia. Problem solved.

I am more interested in what bugs and glitches the games will contain rather than the game itself at this point.

interesting but... what is Europe like in the eternally idealized post-war pre-sexual revolution 1950s-60s?

Hoping it's a numbered one...Loved New Vegas but I'm ready for number 4. Hoping it's going to take place in the east coast again, maybe New England.

Akichi Daikashima:

piinyouri:

Akichi Daikashima:
A next-gen Fallout title?

OH GOD PLEASE YES.

God knows that the graphics in the recent Fallout games are pretty low-end, a touch up would be nice, or alternatively, a huge expansion of the world, using the same graphics, but using the remaining processor power to deepen the game.

Or better than all that, a new engine to fix the root of all the problems.

I find the combat against the numerous glitches and bugs to be part of the authentic Fallout experience.

Indeed. It's not Fallout until until I've completely wrecked the game and exploited all its bugs. It would take away the challenge if I didn't have to pay a visit to the Vault wiki to fix a broken quest. And I totally agree. The only thing the Fallout games need is better graphics and physics to make the world more interactive and add a few survival elements (please add weather!). I hope this site hype-machine is legit

They should set it in Massachusetts (home of the institute), and have the main character learn that they're a synthetic humanoid halfway through the game. Extra points will be rewarded if your character finds out that a portion of the game up to that point never actually occurred anywhere but inside their own head.

And if they're going to set it comfortably outside of California there shouldn't be any references to groups that are unique to California. No more Super Mutants, no more Brotherhood Of Steel, etc, etc. Just take the 'rules' of the Fallout setting and apply them to bring us something creative and fresh. Stop reheating leftovers. New Vegas was like the perfect bookmark to the story that was started in Fallout 1 & 2. Lets see something new.

Maybe this is just wishful thinking, but if we're assuming locations based on how the date is written then it's entirely possible that it'll be set in Australia. Which would mean something like Mad Max but with all the irradiated trappings of the Fallout series to boot. That would be pretty awesome to see, especially if the accents are non-terrible.

Scorpid:

trty00:

Darmy647:

Maybe in a superficial sense, but apart from that, what else REALLY has to be explored? I get it, it's American iconography and idealism that was present through the 20's to the 50's twisted and put into a post apocalyptic wasteland, what else you got? It might be neat to see things in the deep south, a region that wasn't reflected in classic American idealism, but I think that's just because I really liked Point Lookout.

As has been said already, American culture in that period of time was not at all isolated to America. It spread all over. It would be cool to see how that might be viewed with a unique filter.

Fallout, eh? I was sort of hoping they were working on another Elder Scrolls instead, but oh well. This is probably for the best. Skyrim still has a lot of life in it and we can definitely wait.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here