GaymerX Organizers Kickstart Cyperpunk Game

Pages 1 2 NEXT

GaymerX Organizers Kickstart Cyperpunk Game

Read Only Memories genderqueer

Read Only Memories is a cyberpunk tribute to '90s games and features queer characters.

GaymerX is a group of people who run the website GaymerConnect and organize the GaymerX gaming convention. With the mission of educating and driving greater acceptance in gaming, the group is working with MidBoss Games to make its first game, a cyberpunk adventure called Read Only Memories.

In 2064, ROMs have taken the place of mobile technology. The player is a journalist in Neo-San Francisco and receives a beta of the latest ROM and a mysterious note from a friend. Through the game, the player discovers more mysteries surrounding ROMs and Parallax, a company for which the player's best friend worked. Additional ROMs install new personalities in the main character.

Visibility of queer characters is minimal in the whole of games today. MidBoss and Gaymer X write in a day one update, "Thank you for believing in adventure games and creating a world where we can feature characters that normally don't get the spotlight in games." Read Only Memories will have both queer and non-queer characters; GaymerX will speak with the community to elicit feedback on these characters. Two screenshots included in the Kickstarter page indicate the player selects which pronouns he/she/they/"Hey, none of your business!" wishes to use.

Read Only Memories is a part of Ouya's Free the Games Fund. If the crowdfunding campaign is successful, the game will release for Windows PC, Mac, Ouya, iOS, and Android. If the project reaches its first stretch goal at $82,064, a Linux port will be available for free with the Mac and PC versions. The campaign ends Dec. 13.

Should there be no problems, the game will launch Nov. 2014. GaymerX plans to have a playable version ready for next year's convention, GaymerX2 in July.

Source: Kickstarter

As long as that doesn't become the character's sole defining characteristic. I'm sick of one-dimensional gay characters (in all forms of media) for the sake of advancing a cause. Trying to make a point is okay, but not at the cost of fully fleshing out your characters and story.

P.S. Thanks

While I think their Conventions are stupid and worthless. This is something I can more or less get behind. Though I still think making a game with the express intent of featuring queer characters is a horrible idea. At least this is a step in the right direction, usually it's just people shouting, "we need more characters" and never really doing anything about it.

You know, a lot fewer people would have 'problems' with gays if they'd stop doing the equivalent of jumping up and down shouting "Hey... HEY, LOOK! I'm doing something over here and I'm a homosexual! PAY ATTENTION TO ME!!!"

I really could not care less about queer representation in games, but if it's a good game I'll be sure to have a look when it comes out.

This made me think of a post on Anthony Burches blog about "arbitrary" diversity, and he made a really good point in it, basically saying that having diverse characters or characters from different backgrounds, even if for no other reason than to just have a character from a different background is a good thing because it shows different people in a positive light, which helps the majority see more people in a positive light.

I don't do him any kind of justice, so here's the link if anyone's curious: http://www.heyash.com/in-defense-of-arbitrary-diversity/#singleHeader

So more positive representation is always a good thing, no matter what your reasons are. So I'm looking forward to this game, besides the fact that I'm always on the lookout for a good cyberpunk adventure.

Sounds cool. Don't know why people are getting up in arms cause this particular game may have gay people in it, but cool. Hopefully theres a demo or a gameplay video or something, so that I can see if its well written. Also side note did they use the word queer or something cause you say it alot in the article and idk it just seems a bit off cause usually people just say gay

Reed Spacer:
You know, a lot fewer people would have 'problems' with gays if they'd stop doing the equivalent of jumping up and down shouting "Hey... HEY, LOOK! I'm doing something over here and I'm a homosexual! PAY ATTENTION TO ME!!!"

Drawing attention is virtually the only way sexual minorities can get their problems solved considering that they only make up roughly 5% of society (that possibly being an overstatement). But then again, it really is just so annoying when the peons beg for the attention of the heteronormative majority. If they're gay men are having such huge issues with people being okay with them sucking penises then "let them eat pussy," I suppose.

OT- Good on them. It sounds like a neat idea. I'll have to look into it as it gets further along.

Revnak:

Drawing attention is virtually the only way sexual minorities can get their problems solved

Oh and what problems would those be?

JazzJack2:

Revnak:

Drawing attention is virtually the only way sexual minorities can get their problems solved

Well if we're talking about the real world: homophobia, hatred, violence, marriage rights, etc.

If we're talking just in gaming: under-representation, misrepresentation, stereotyping, casual homophobia.

sethisjimmy:

Well if we're talking about the real world: homophobia, hatred, violence, marriage rights, etc.

I don't really think this game has done anything to bring real issues like those to attention.

If we're talking just in gaming: under-representation, misrepresentation, stereotyping, casual homophobia.

The first three problems are
A)Not really about somesones sexuality, and are a part of general problem with writing in video games.
B)Not really solved by simply drawing attention to them

The last one is one I don't think I have ever encountered myself but there you go.

Revnak:

But then again, it really is just so annoying when the peons beg for the attention of the heteronormative majority. If they're gay men are having such huge issues with people being okay with them sucking penises then "let them eat pussy," I suppose.

I this the anology falls apart in the end... I don't see the "heteronormatives" getting their heads chopped off.

In other news... thinking of heads being chopped off just made me squirm a little.

JazzJack2:

sethisjimmy:

I don't really think this game has done anything to bring real issues like those to attention.

Acceptance in media is one of the first steps to making something a social norm

Draconalis:

We've had gay characters for years now in video games (and broader media in general), I don't see how this game will have any impact on actual issues LGBT people face.

JazzJack2:

Draconalis:

We've had gay characters for years now in video games (and broader media in general), I don't see how this game will have any impact on actual issues LGBT people face.

Then whats the big problem with having gay people in the game honestly? How people are acting you think that this game was causing a huge problem

kenu12345:
Then whats the big problem with having gay people in the game honestly?

Nothing really, but I find it pretty pathetic and off-putting when a game makes a character's sexuality a gimmick they can exploit, feels manipulative and cheap to me.

Draconalis:

Revnak:

But then again, it really is just so annoying when the peons beg for the attention of the heteronormative majority. If they're gay men are having such huge issues with people being okay with them sucking penises then "let them eat pussy," I suppose.

I this the anology falls apart in the end... I don't see the "heteronormatives" getting their heads chopped off.

In other news... thinking of heads being chopped off just made me squirm a little.

More a joke than an analogy.

JazzJack2:

Revnak:

Things marriage rights, child care rights, medical rights, etc.

This game draws attention to those by drawing attention to the lacking of representation of homosexuals in our media, which, if it were increased, would serve as an excellent way to diminish those other problems.

JazzJack2:

kenu12345:
Then whats the big problem with having gay people in the game honestly?

Nothing really, but I find it pretty pathetic and off-putting when a game makes a character's sexuality a gimmick they can exploit, feels manipulative and cheap to me.

Honestly who said it was a gimmick? Sure the articles says it has gay people in it, but it never said that was the main focus. Wouldn't you a game by gay people to have gay people in it? Cause you know comfort with what you know

Revnak:

This game draws attention to those by drawing attention to the lacking of representation of homosexuals in our media which, if it were increased, would serve as an excellent way to diminish those other problems.

I largely agree that media portrayals of social minorities can be very important in securing rights for said minorities however I feel this game will have little impact and is going about it all wrong. Simply having more LGBT characters won't be a particularly fruitful endeavour, you need be believable and organic characters who's sexuality feels natuaral to them (like Obsidian's Arcade Gannon for example) to whom people will feel attached to. Purposely drawing attention to the fact you have LGBT characters in your game feels, like I said before, gimmicky and cheap, and will inevitably lead to these aspects of the character to be perceived as forced and unnatural.

An organization kickstarting a game with character(s) they want to see more of instead of just whining about the status quo? I approve.

Now if only some notable people would quit their yapping and idocy and do the same with female characters.

JazzJack2:

Revnak:

This game draws attention to those by drawing attention to the lacking of representation of homosexuals in our media which, if it were increased, would serve as an excellent way to diminish those other problems.

I largely agree that media portrayals of social minorities can be very important in securing rights for said minorities however I feel this game will have little impact and is going about it all wrong. Simply having more LGBT characters won't be a particularly fruitful endeavour, you need be believable and organic characters who's sexuality feels natuaral to them (like Obsidian's Arcade Gannon for example) to whom people will feel attached to. Purposely drawing attention to the fact you have LGBT characters in your game feels, like I said before, gimmicky and cheap, and will inevitably lead to these aspects of the character to be perceived as forced and unnatural.

I think it can only be called gimmicky and cheap if it is done to draw attention to yourself and your games. It really doesn't apply when the intended goal is to draw attention to sexual minorities as a whole and their goals.

Wasn't Bill in the last of us a homosexual and that is a pretty big game granted this is just an example. I wouldn't mind this as long as it doesn't turn into the character's sole trait, there is nothing worse than one dimensional characters. If they wanted to promote gay characters in games they could use Bill from the last of us

Anything that "draws attention to" or is trying to "create awareness for" are sucker games. Sort of like Charities that are trying to "create awareness" of cancer. Everyone knows already so they can just pay the top execs massive salaries while doing nothing. Sort of like this game, they will show them off like circus freaks to get some cash but in the end will not do anything useful, like a solution.

This is good. The plain fact of the matter is that there isn't enough queer representation in games, so I'm glad this game is trying to bring that issue to light.

thisbymaster:
Snip

Please inform me, what exactly is the 'solution?' I see a lot of people saying that mere representation is no good, but they don't offer many alternatives. The fact that we're even having this discussion should be enough to tell you there's a visibility issue, but because showcasing the problem apparently isn't enough, what do we do? Maintain the status quot through inaction?

JazzJack2:
Snip

But they're not just using it to promote their game and make it look edgy. This is a game that seems to want to focus on queer issues in video games, so doesn't it make sense that they would, you know... focus on queer issues in video games?

Is this going to be the next 'gamer girl' vs 'girl gamer' meme?

That being said...
The first thing I thought of from the game title was Daft Punk, so that's always a good thing.

I just hope it doesn't suck.

trty00:

Please inform me, what exactly is the 'solution?' I see a lot of people saying that mere representation is no good, but they don't offer many alternatives.

How about good representation? one believable fleshed out gay character is worth 100 gay characters who have simply been shoehorned in.

The fact that we're even having this discussion should be enough to tell you there's a visibility issue

No that doesn't really follow.

But they're not just using it to promote their game and make it look edgy. This is a game that seems to want to focus on queer issues in video games,

But they themselves have said it is not a game about homosexuality (or LGBT in general) and simply has gay characters, perhaps I am preemptively judging it but it's blatant advertising of the fact it has LGBT characters makes it seem like it's treating homosexuality as a gimmick to me.

So your solution is for the gay people writing gay characters is to just take out the gay characters cause obviously gay people don't know how to write gay characters?

kenu12345:
So your solution is for the gay people writing gay characters is to just take out the gay characters cause obviously gay people don't know how to write gay characters?

No that's not what I wrote, try re-reading it.

I don't mind the whole gay character gimmick, but it has to have more then that to be worth playing. I don't think the inclusion of gay characters is enough to solely carry a plot, much less a whole game.

JazzJack2:

kenu12345:

No that's not what I wrote, try re-reading it.

I know precisely what you wrote and its a good concern if it was someone else other than a gay group. Come on think about it this news is the equivalent of a straight developer revealing to the world that *gasp* some of his characters are straight. The only reason this is getting blown up because it a group of gay gamers making a game with gays in it. Do you really think that gay people wouldn't know how gay people act?

kenu12345:

I know precisely what you wrote and its a good concern if it was someone else other than a gay group.

I really don't see how that would make a difference.

The only reason this is getting blown up because it a group of gay gamers making a game with gays in it.

My problem with it is that they are highlighting the fact the game has gay characters and using it as an advertising point when there is no real need to do that.

Do you really think that gay people wouldn't know how gay people act?

Is there any reason to assume they would?

JazzJack2:

I really don't see how that would make a difference.

My problem with it is that they are highlighting the fact the game has gay characters and using it as an advertising point when there is no real need to do that.

Is there any reason to assume they would?

Its not really advertising it simply one statement. Most of the bad representations of gay people of gay people come from people who aren't gay so that why I said all of that. Just read the article again. They were just giving a general summary of what the game will have in it. The article just drags out the point that they said gay people will be in it. A statement that mind you also said that there would be straight people in it too, but that don't mean I think the game would have a horrible representation of straight people. People are most comfortable doing what they know. This should come of no shock and really for this really being the first bit of news on the subject, I think its a bit unfair to judge that they will have horrible representation just cause they said the word gay people.

JazzJack2:
Snip

But it is trying to bring to light the issue of underrepresentation of queer characters in gaming, and I think every little bit helps. Of course diversity that isn't forced is better, but doing nothing is FAR WORSE than diversity that's arbitrary. Even then, this is just one feature of the game, so yes, it is judgemental to assume it's going to be 'dumb.' Maybe, the ability to not openly identify as a gender, or be 'out and proud,' doesn't mean shit to you, but it does to a lot of people. There are people who are so dreadfully unhappy with themselves because they don't fit into societal norms, so having a character that might be like them is so important. It might not be a cure-all, but it is a helping hand.

trty00:

JazzJack2:
Snip

But it is trying to bring to light the issue of underrepresentation of queer characters in gaming

Err how in any conceivable way is it doing that?

but doing nothing is FAR WORSE than diversity that's arbitrary.

What does entirely arbitrary diversity in a fictional medium achieve? diddly squat is what. In fact I often find it worse when games shoehorn gay characters in, it feels like I am being patronized.

Even then, this is just one feature of the game, so yes, it is judgemental to assume it's going to be 'dumb.'

Maybe, but the 2retro4u graphics aren't inspiring much hope in me either.

Maybe, the ability to not openly identify as a gender, or be 'out and proud,' doesn't mean shit to you, but it does to a lot of people.

Actually it does mean a lot to me.

There are people who are so dreadfully unhappy with themselves because they don't fit into societal norms, so having a character that might be like them is so important. It might not be a cure-all, but it is a helping hand.

Speaking from personal experience and maybe this is just my opinion but characters who feel unbelievable or shoehorned do not help people when they feel isolated froms society because they won't be able to connect to or even beleive the character.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here