Microsoft Congratulates Sony on the PS4's Launch

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Microsoft Congratulates Sony on the PS4's Launch

Microsoft offered Sony some congratulations for the PS4's launch via a Twitter post earlier today.

Honestly, looking back on how Sony exploited Microsoft's early mishandling of the Xbox One's promotional machine, we wouldn't have blamed Microsoft if it had opted to be less than graceful in its reaction to the PS4's launch. It just can't inspire much goodwill when your primary competitor mocks you in a moment of arguable vulnerability.

That being the case, Microsoft played things pretty classy, offering Sony some congratulations via the Xbox's official Twitter account. Several Microsoft executives involved with the Xbox One also extended their own well wishes. "Congrats to all my friends [at Sony] and [Adam Boyes] and [Shuhei Yoshida] on the launch of PS4. Great job, looking forward to Gen8," Tweeted Albert Penello, director of product planning for the Xbox. Microsoft studios vice president Phil Spencer and Larry "Major Nelson" Hryb also sent out congratulatory Tweets. SCE president Shuhei Yoshida, along with Sony's Adam Boyes, both wished the Microsoft team good luck in their replies.

It was a friendlier exchange than you might expect from two competitors with fanbases that often behave as opposed forces fighting a too-the-death conflict. That said, if nothing else, this should serve as evidence that the console wars don't have to be all verbal venom and diatribe.

Source: GameSpot

Eh I thought this would be fake but I guess it's what they say. Keep your friends close and enemies closer.

Plus it looks good to have the nice act while your behind the scenes paying money to people to not put their games out on the ps4

This seems like a presidential debate in america. The two companies were slinging so much dirt for years until after election day where they pretend like they are best pals.

I can't wait to see what Sony do for the Microsoft launch. Maybe hold a congratulatory PSN sale for them? Wish them luck with their lunch, followed by another tweet to point out that wasn't a typo? Whilst I can see Sony just returning the 'good will' I really want them to take the piss again like at E3.

A lot of industry executives know each other personally. This kind of behavior wouldn't come as a surprise in most other industries.

GAunderrated:
This seems like a presidential debate in america. The two companies were slinging so much dirt for years until after election day where they pretend like they are best pals.

Most political ads ran on TV are from PAC's or groups paying the candidate in election funds. Most of the time they dont have a clue what's actually being put out there, unless it blows up in their face and they issue and apology but sometimes they will put a statement along with it saying they have no part in the group.

I cant remember the specifics, but during the last election there was a Republican who had something like that happen to him about Obama.

OT: let the speculation and fanboysim run rampant, but companies like Microsoft and Sony are professionals with friends in each others employ.

But, if I may, I would like to point out neither Microsoft or Sony said anything to Nintendo when they entered Gen 8 with the WiiU.

Poor Nintendo.

Maybe you would of been nicer to Sega when you were on top.

Very shrewd Microsoft, well played. Collect good will wherever you can get it. It certainly makes them appear more professional.

You have to remember that Sony is a bigger customer to Microsoft than a competitor as Sony does sell more PC's and there corresponding windows licenses than playstations.

Also as the 9th largest phone manufacturer Microsoft is quite keen to get Sony to sign up to windows phone as well.

Sony had to make jokes at MS expense because they had nothing at all apart from its a PS3 with more power. Anyway, they are both enemies but both professional companies. Its not done in hate. Both Sony and MS would rather their competitors survive.

"Microsoft offered Sony some congratulations for the PS4's launch via a Twitter post earlier today."

Through clenched teeth, no doubt.

SonOfVoorhees:
its a PS3 with more power.

Despite how grossly false this is, given that the ps4's infrastructure is so completely different, backwards compatibility had to be nixed... I have to ask.

If the ps4 is just the ps3 but stronger... what's the X-box One?

An X-box 360... but stronger?

And if that's the case, why point out that all they had to bring to the table was their product? What more do you want?

I wonder if they did that with the growing number of failing pre-launch and launch PS4's in mind...

Maybe, just maybe, Microsoft actually does respect Sony as a competitor and their well-wishing comes from a genuine place.

Draconalis:

SonOfVoorhees:
its a PS3 with more power.

Despite how grossly false this is, given that the ps4's infrastructure is so completely different, backwards compatibility had to be nixed... I have to ask.

If the ps4 is just the ps3 but stronger... what's the X-box One?

An X-box 360... but stronger?

And if that's the case, why point out that all they had to bring to the table was their product? What more do you want?

XB1 is a more powerful 360 with tv abilities. ;-) Me, i just want good games....every thing else including online gaming and social media and downloading movies etc....not interested in at all. Except there are no games released on the XB1/PS4 that interest me enough to make buying a new console worth buying.

I think the Sony dont need a hub because they are already selling tvs etc and they dont want to lose sales on other products. I do hope both do well though, mostly because Sony said if PS4 fails then there will be no PS5. But then failure could be selling 10 billion instead of 11 billion. An we need MS, because they are pushing forward into different areas than Sony. Kinda need both companies. Nintendo? Well, they do whatever they want anyway. lol

GAunderrated:

Yep and I for one ain't buying it. Smile and laugh together all you want guys we know deep down your companies hate each other.

http://youtu.be/T17VzztS60M

It's a trap! If I've learned anything about 2 parties in direct competition with winter on the horizon, it's that the worst, ugliest battles often play out under the pretense of peace. A white flag can quickly turn into a bloody sheet.

Wheaton's Law Hard at work. Who knows, if one company goes under, maybe the other is looking for talent with console experience?

StewShearer:
That said, if nothing else, this should serve as evidence that the console wars don't have to be all verbal venom and diatribe.

That's right. I guess it can also be full of mock pleasantries with sarcastic/cynical undertones as well.

It's just a publicity stunt to sucker news outlets into showing the Xbox logo on the PS4 launch date to remind us that MS have a console coming.

And it worked, and cost nothing! Well played MS's marketing department.

Well, I thought the article was heartwarming. Then I read the comments section.

God damnit Escapist.
God damnit.

I know it's just PR, but it's classy, and effective. Well played MS. I wish more PR was like this.

This isn't too surprising, the console war is mostly a product made by the fans not the companies. This is not the first time that the two have displayed amicable relations. there was an article here on the escapist with Sony praising the Wii and hoping the best for Microsoft. The vitriol is fan made

Caiphus:

God damnit Escapist.
God damnit.

It's kind of like when we used to ascribe personalities to natural phenomena, only without religion. And hilarious.

"Hah! Winter pretended to be all polite as it was leaving, but judging from how cold it was this season, there's no question he was giving Summer the middle finger! What a sore loser!"

Kalezian:

Most political ads ran on TV are from PAC's or groups paying the candidate in election funds. Most of the time they dont have a clue what's actually being put out there, unless it blows up in their face and they issue and apology but sometimes they will put a statement along with it saying they have no part in the group.

Quite frequently, PACs are guided thanks to some really stupid rules that have been exposed and mocked ruthlessly for several years now.

It also doesn't change the bits where they said things live, like debates or fundraisers. There's a lot of shit talking done by the candidates themselves. A lot.

Caiphus:

God damnit Escapist.
God damnit.

I'm not sur eI'd go as far as heartwarming, but it is nice to see an actual "congrats" from one company to another.

But I mean, honestly, there was never really any real animosity between the two. Sony and Microsoft rely on each other for their technology. They're running a superficial war and I doubt that either company cares that much as long as their sales are good. Even within the gaming divisions.

They literally cannot afford to have the animosity everyone's ascribing to them.

Quantum Glass:

It's kind of like when we used to ascribe personalities to natural phenomena, only without religion. And hilarious.

"Hah! Winter pretended to be all polite as it was leaving, but judging from how cold it was this season, there's no question he was giving Summer the middle finger! What a sore loser!"

But that was so brilliantly put, I can't help but smile.

And at least it's not Youtube. Otherwise, we'd be seeing "u r homo micro$oft suxors ron paul 2012."

Microsoft had some nice words to say about Valve not too long ago too; http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.833249-Microsoft-VP-Credits-Valve-With-Keeping-the-PC-Ecosystem-Strong

A little civility never hurt anyone.

The nice nice is also going both ways and is being pointed at Nintendo. http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/129609-Sonys-Yoshida-Nintendos-Not-Our-Competition-Wii-Need-It Let's never forget that this is a business. And the people for whom it is a business have far more in common with each other than with us.

StewShearer:
It was a friendlier exchange than you might expect from two competitors with fanbases that often behave as opposed forces fighting a too-the-death conflict. That said, if nothing else, this should serve as evidence that the console wars don't have to be all verbal venom and diatribe.

Im gonna be honest, I always felt that the companies themselves were quite decent, for the most part, to each other. Its the fans of the consoles that spew bile and shit...

Well, of course Sony would kick Microsoft while they were down at E3. As one great man once said, it's nothing personal, just good business. I would expect Microsoft to do the same thing. So, it's not too much of a stretch to imagine that Microsoft doesn't actually have any ill feelings towards Sony. I wouldn't. Kicking the competition while they're down, business-wise, is just another day in the world of Capitalism really.

Did... did Microsoft just concede? Seems a little early in the race if you ask me :P

Classy, Microsoft. I know that they (and Sony, Nintendo etc.) just do this for positive PR but it's still nice to see the giants shake hands.

Microsoft knows a thing or two about critical reception of new releases. Maybe now that they're off the stage they're glad they get to follow Sony this time.

Note: I don't plan on buying either console, and MS may appear classy now, but let's not forget it was righteously put in its place. Without the level of outrage it would be giving consumers a rotten deal to get their hands on new and exclusive titles.

Well despite what criticisms I might have about Microsoft, I must give them credit and respect for being civil and mature. Now if only such behavior could be seen amongst Democratic and Republican congress.

Stop trying to act like a person xbox, we know what you are.

Caramel Frappe:

*Looks at Avatar* Whoowwww... was that from the actual episode? Trixie seems really mad. More so then what I would believe the animators would be willing to display. It just struck me is all.

It's certainly much more then the animators would ever show. XD It's from a rule34 picture. I'll sent you a link so you can see for yourself, its nothing too bad.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here