Colin Farrell Says Warcraft Script Is "Really, Really Cool"

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Colin Farrell Says Warcraft Script Is "Really, Really Cool"

Colin Farrell

Colin Farrell admits that he's read the script for the Warcraft film but says he doesn't know what's happening with it.

A rumor went up in September that the devilishly sexy Irish actor Colin Farrell might play the lead role in the Warcraft feature film being directed by Duncan Jones. It was "inside sources" and a "50/50" likelihood and all that - about as far-removed from "carved in stone" as you can get, in other words.

In an interview with IGN, however, Farrell admitted that he has in fact read the script, and he seemed to quite like it. "Duncan was cool. I sat with Duncan for awhile and read the script, loved the script, and we was as cool as can be. I don't know what's happening with the film. I don't know where they are in the process," he said.

Warcraft itself doesn't seem to be much of a draw for him, though. "Not at all, no," he said when asked if he's a fan of the game. "The script was just really, really cool, and it's just a world that I never explored - and it's a really big and fantastical world. I can't imagine what he, being as visually gifted as he is, Duncan, and what he did on Moon with, like, a dime, I can't imagine what he'd do with this Warcraft."

Warcraft is scheduled to arrive in theaters on December 18, 2015.

Source: IGN

As long as Chris Metzen doesn't have any hand whatsoever in the script of this movie, what this guy says might very well be the case. I don't I've ever seen a worse writer than that guy that actually get's paid for what he does.

I don't want to say I look forward to this movie, but it really can turn out really good or really bad. I personally haven't seen moon, but i've heard that it's pretty good, and Chris Metzen is only credited as "story and characters" in the writing department on IMDB, so I don't wanna condemn this movie to the depths of hell quite yet.

That being said, isn't this movie a little late? The prime of WoW:s popularity was end of Wrath/Beginning of Cata, which'll be, what, 5 years before the movie will actually air? Sure no one wants it to be rushed, but if you're going to cash in on a very popular brand name, this is arriving a little late to the party.

SecretNegative:
Snip

Even with the decline in subscribers, isn't WoW still generally the most popular MMO? I think there's still a pretty established fanbase for this kind of thing. Not to mention, along with superheroes and zombies, the public is really eating up high fantasy at the moment, so I wouldn't be surprised if it made some hefty cash.

OT: Just like with the Assassin's Creed film, I'm still not sure this is actually going to get made, period. Because of the tendency of 'geek' movies to end up falling apart and entering Development Hell, I need some seriously concrete information before I decide how I feel.

I haven't seen Moon yet, but after a quick read on wikipedia and spoiling myself with the plot (It's a bad habit I need to break :( ), it doesn't seem half bad, let's hope the Warcraft movie doesn't suck.

SecretNegative:
That being said, isn't this movie a little late? The prime of WoW:s popularity was end of Wrath/Beginning of Cata, which'll be, what, 5 years before the movie will actually air? Sure no one wants it to be rushed, but if you're going to cash in on a very popular brand name, this is arriving a little late to the party.

Well, the Simpsons movie screened more than a decade later after it's prime in the mid 90's, 5 years doesn't seem too late for me :P

So is this movie live action? 'Cause if there is one thing despite everything that Blizzard still does well is they have awesome CG teasers. So a whole movie of that would be pretty cool.

Person who is being paid - likely based on how well a movie does at the box office - says the movie will be good.

No really, guys.

Eric the Orange:
So is this movie live action? 'Cause if there is one thing despite everything that Blizzard still does well is they have awesome CG teasers. So a whole movie of that would be pretty cool.

Blend of both. They'll have live actors and CG motion-cap'd stuff. I'm sure some/a lot of backdrop is also going to end up being CG

I really like Farell as an actor. Sure, he's got some poor performances, but who hasn't in the business?
That being said, I do not think that this would have been the kind of movie for him. Or maybe it would have been, still not quite sure as to where Jones wants to take this thing.

Abomination:
Person who is being paid - likely based on how well a movie does at the box office - says the movie will be good.

No really, guys.

An actor like Colin Farrell's walking away with a lot of money however the movie does. Their end result does not affect his paycheck.

Yes, yes but what do Colin Farrell's eyebrows think of the script? That's the only answer that matters. Seriously if you shaved those caterpillars off his face he would easily lose 80% of his acting ability.

Psychobabble:
Yes, yes but what do Colin Farrell's eyebrows think of the script? That's the only answer that matters. Seriously if you shaved those caterpillars off his face he would easily lose 80% of his acting ability.

That's probably because if you did that we'd lose 80% of Colin Farrell's physical form also.

His opinion is not that important, not to warrant an article in my opinion, but I guess it has to be posted.

I'm somewhat worried about this movie. From what we've heard, it's going to be gritty, which is sort of in line with the origins of Warcraft. I mean, these were pretty brutal and bloody games, but the age rating, despite their insistence, is going to have an impact on that. I don't like violence, blood and gore for the sake of it(in a movie), but this is the style and it fits in well.

With stuff like this you just have to go all in, in my opinion, and not just skimp on the mutilation and sense of enormous loss that both sides had during the first war. Go brutal, not gritty, and this might just be something amazing.

Abomination:

No really, guys.

Exactly.

Also, he's not impressing me with his intelligence in his quoted statements. And a lot of actors can't tell a good script from shit. I mean, how else do you explain Malcolm McDowell's career?

The only worry I have is how biased is it going to be for the Alliance? I putting money on ridiculously to universally biased.

Does Colin Farrell know any positive, descriptive words other than 'cool'?

funksobeefy:
The only worry I have is how biased is it going to be for the Alliance? I putting money on ridiculously to universally biased.

You do know the Alliance are supposed to be the good guys? Just because years of horde pandering in WoW have given the message of Orcs being misunderstood savages, the fact is that they still poured through the dark portal to invade and murder all of humanity, succeeding in wiping out entire kingdoms in the process. Yes, I know horde are cool and edgy, but at the root of Warcraft it's a story of good defending itself from evil. Look to Warcraft 1 + 2 for the real historical lore.

Andy Chalk:
Warcraft is scheduled to arrive in theaters on December 18, 2015.

The same day as Episode VII?

$10 says it gets pushed.

Did he also think the scripts for Daredevil and the Total Recall remake where "really, really cool" too or he just getting paid to say that?

trty00:

SecretNegative:
Snip

Even with the decline in subscribers, isn't WoW still generally the most popular MMO? I think there's still a pretty established fanbase for this kind of thing. Not to mention, along with superheroes and zombies, the public is really eating up high fantasy at the moment, so I wouldn't be surprised if it made some hefty cash.

Not really, yea Marvel Movies are doing well, but they are pretty much the exception every thing else has either been lukewarm to disastrous

Even the Hobbit didn't do all that well. It only made 1,017,003,568 and it's budget was 561,000,000 compared to Return of the King which made 1,119,929,521 and it's budget was 94,000,000 not counting for inflation.

Jigero:
Even the Hobbit didn't do all that well. It only made 1,017,003,568 and it's budget was 561,000,000 compared to Return of the King which made 1,119,929,521 and it's budget was 94,000,000 not counting for inflation.

Hhmmm that seems strange.
All three LotR movies have a budget of "estimated" 93M. Could it be that the budget for the entire project was around 300M and since it is estimation they simply divided it by 3 after all afaik the films were filmed "basically" at the same time right? - Seems very unlikely that all three films cost exactly the same...
In that case could it be that those 561M for the Hobbit are the budget for all three films as well? I mean why would the costs explode like this?

To you, Collin Ferrell is sexy. To me, that photo looks like my 45 year old uncle cosplaying Highlander-era Christopher Lambert.

Wooo the same guy who made Moon? Man it could actually be good...

Ishigami:
I mean why would the costs explode like this?

Isn't The Hobbit being filmed in actual 3D? Obviously that doesn't account for all of the costs but it's got to add a lot. Plus the economy is buggered compared to when LoTR was filmed.

RJ Dalton:

Abomination:

No really, guys.

Exactly.

Also, he's not impressing me with his intelligence in his quoted statements. And a lot of actors can't tell a good script from shit. I mean, how else do you explain Malcolm McDowell's career?

Wild stab in the dark here, McDowell went with the one with the biggest cheque attached.

Personal Hype meter: lo |x------------------------------| hi

A non-animated Warcraft movie? Lame.

Humans in the lead role? Awful.

With a universe so overflowing with cool characters of many different races....WHY HUMANS?!! There are already tons of movies about us! I enjoy fantasy because its NOT always about humans :|

tzimize:

With a universe so overflowing with cool characters of many different races....WHY HUMANS?!! There are already tons of movies about us! I enjoy fantasy because its NOT always about humans :|

you are unfortunately in the minority and frankly the horde side arent exactly the most empathetic bunch. its just easier for people to follow along with what they are familiar with.

then again i have a feeling this will be another dungeons and dragons the movie or dungeon siege

AldUK:

funksobeefy:

You do know the Alliance are supposed to be the good guys? Just because years of horde pandering in WoW have given the message of Orcs being misunderstood savages, the fact is that they still poured through the dark portal to invade and murder all of humanity, succeeding in wiping out entire kingdoms in the process. Yes, I know horde are cool and edgy, but at the root of Warcraft it's a story of good defending itself from evil. Look to Warcraft 1 + 2 for the real historical lore.

well what about the whole campaign for Warcraft 3? You spend much of the time with Thrall creating a noble horde from the savages they once were, Grom sacrifices himself to save the orcs from their curse. The Tauren are not evil either along with the Darkspear tribe. The Horde is so much more interesting then generic good guy races of the alliance

"Moon" in the last sentence should be italicized as it is the title of a movie.

albino boo:

RJ Dalton:

Abomination:

No really, guys.

Exactly.

Wild stab in the dark here, McDowell went with the one with the biggest cheque attached.

Shhh! Don't throw off my groove by pointing out alternate possibilities, man. That's just rude!

wombat_of_war:

tzimize:

you are unfortunately in the minority and frankly the horde side arent exactly the most empathetic bunch. its just easier for people to follow along with what they are familiar with.

then again i have a feeling this will be another dungeons and dragons the movie or dungeon siege

Oh lord, dont even mention dungeons and dragons o.o

There was a lot of things wrong with that movie (everything) but who....WHO decided to cast Wayans as the black sidekick? OH LAWD the brainpain.

In respons: I dont know man, some of the horde is pretty decent compared to a lot of the alliance. Thrall is great, and Cairne was fantastic. The rest....probably not so much :P A movie with the (pre-Garrosh) honorable orcs in the lead? I'd say it would be a refreshing change from the uruk-hai of LOTR.

While Moon was awesome and I have lots of praise for Duncan Jones, I'm not wholly convinced Colin Farrell, star of titles like "Phone Booth" and "S.W.A.T" is an authority on scriptwriting.

tzimize:

Humans are not in the lead role. This they talked about the story at Blizzcon last week. It is mostly about the both sides, but mainly Orcs during the first opening of the Portal from Draenor to Azeroth in the first Warcraft game.

Baldr:

tzimize:

Humans are not in the lead role. This they talked about the story at Blizzcon last week. It is mostly about the both sides, but mainly Orcs during the first opening of the Portal from Draenor to Azeroth in the first Warcraft game.

Eh...I'll believe it when I see it.

RJ Dalton:

albino boo:

RJ Dalton:

Exactly.

Shhh! Don't throw off my groove by pointing out alternate possibilities, man. That's just rude!

I'm sorry but I'm always with those negative waves

Yosharian:
Wooo the same guy who made Moon? Man it could actually be good...

Well DIRECTED by the same guy. While I agree that Moon was a fantastic film, it was also a film with a very basic premise and a small easily controllable environment, where the director also had a big hand in writing the script. And I think that's exactly why the film was so well crafted. It was made by a small group with a clear vision and an army of boneheaded studio execs didn't take turns sodomizing the creative property for their own personal interests before it saw the light of day. A film based off the multibillion dollar World of Warcraft franchise is going to be a very different animal. Especially if Duncan Jones has little control over the story creation process.

All I can say at this point is the same thing I keep telling my overly optimistic Star Wars fan friends when they bring up the new SW films. Feel free to hope for the best, but at the same time it just might be wise to prepare your anuses for a truly deep and brutal corporate gang bang of your fanboi dreams.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here