Sony Offers Troubleshooting Tips for Unresponsive PS4s

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Sony Offers Troubleshooting Tips for Unresponsive PS4s

PS4 Blue Light Troubleshoot

Sony has created a forum posting on the PlayStation website filled with tips to help get non-responsive PS4s up and running.

One of the occasional joys of buying a new console at launch is getting it home, breathing in that new console smell and then having the thing just plain not work after you plug it in. That in mind, while the launch of the PS4 has largely been successful, some early purchasers are apparently experiencing an uncommon issue where they attempt to boot the console up and the only response they receive is a pulsing blue light. There have been cases of this both occurring straight out of the box and also while the console is in operation.

While Sony has yet to release an official statement addressing the "Blue Light of Death," as some have taken to calling it, the company has recently released some troubleshooting tips on its forums to try and assist consumers experiencing the problems. According to the forum post, there are several potential issues the company believes could potentially be at the root of the problem, including: TV compatibility, problems with the console's power supply or hard drive, or "other" issues with the hardware/software.

"Some users have indicated that updating the firmware on their televisions has resolved some cases of no audio/video being displayed," said Sony, in reference to the TV issues. For potential power supply problems, it recommends checking the power cord to see if there's any "damage or anomalies" at the connection point and even swapping the PS4 cord for a PS3 one "to see if that resolves the issue." In the case of the hard drive, the company suggests opening the console to see if it's loose or damaged. Users could apparently even attempt to replace it if they have the desire and a compatible hard drive. If everything seems in order and the PS4 still isn't responding, Sony suggests booting it in Safe Mode to try updating the software which could also be at fault. It included instructions for doing this in the forum posting. Of course, if all else fails, it recommends contacting its customer support to receive official assistance.

Source: PlayStation

I think people dont really understand what "bricked" means, if it can be fixed by not buying and entirely new system then it didnt brick, bricked means that there is now way back and the device became something that is as usefull as a brick.

josemlopes:
I think people dont really understand what "bricked" means, if it can be fixed by not buying and entirely new system then it didnt brick, bricked means that there is now way back and the device became something that is as usefull as a brick.

Good point. I've altered the title to be a bit more accurate to that. Thanks!

Abit shameful. Its very cool of them showing a way to fix it. But come on its just come out. day one patch, loads of bricked consoles. You know i recall consolers saying they would never jump to PC gaming coz of all the patches and dealing with drivers, consoles just work out the box. Goes to show consoles have kinda lost their way when PC's are turning out to be more simpler/less stressful.

Huh. I'm surprised they didn't offer the idea of whacking it with a big mallet.

AstaresPanda:
Abit shameful. Its very cool of them showing a way to fix it. But come on its just come out. day one patch, loads of bricked consoles. You know i recall consolers saying they would never jump to PC gaming coz of all the patches and dealing with drivers, consoles just work out the box. Goes to show consoles have kinda lost their way when PC's are turning out to be more simpler/less stressful.

Apart from the damn push pins building my new rig was significantly easier and simpler than all the arsing about with day one patches and updates on a new console, noting my experience with the PS3 that needed a good 5 or 6 huge firmware patches on first boot.

AstaresPanda:
Abit shameful. Its very cool of them showing a way to fix it. But come on its just come out.

They've shipped over a million of these things already, so of course some of them will have issues. The only reason it's news at all is because the thing is new and everyone's getting it at the same time. With electronics, a 5% failure rate is considered about the best you can ever manage, so assuming the PS4 is among the most reliable things ever made you'd still expect to see tens of thousands of failure reports. If there was just a steady trickle of occasional reports of problems with new devices no-one would care in the slightest, it just looks like a lot because they're all happening at the same time. Most of the issues appear to simply be due to damage - bent bits of metal, damaged cables, and so on. The majority will have been caused during shipping and storage, with plenty being caused by the customers themselves trying to jam plugs in the wrong way around and so on.

As for day one patches, why would that be a bad thing? The release hardware and software will have been finalised months ago so that the things could actually be ready and in shops. Having a patch ready for when people actually get their hand on them means that Sony have still been using that time to fix and improve things. Unless you expect them to have got every bit of code perfect the first time, which never has happened and never will happen in the entire history of computers, patches are generally good.

SkarKrow:

AstaresPanda:

Apart from the damn push pins building my new rig was significantly easier and simpler than all the arsing about with day one patches and updates on a new console, noting my experience with the PS3 that needed a good 5 or 6 huge firmware patches on first boot.

By the sounds of it, hours of updates. You could build a gaming rig and install windows 7 and prob be able to be ready to game online faster then waiting for your CONSOLE to update and be ready. I mean thats still sounds weird to me, "CONSOLE UPDATING"

Psychobabble:

That would be so cool!
xD

Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo today released an urgent message on their website telling the consumers, that: "in case your new console doesn't work, a good, hard, blow with a blunt object of minimi size of 2kg on the power button, just might do the trick"

More on topic:

I think it would be weird if every single of the million PS4s bought inside the 24 hours of the release would work.
THAT would be an accomplishement!

AstaresPanda:

SkarKrow:

AstaresPanda:

By the sounds of it, hours of updates. You could build a gaming rig and install windows 7 and prob be able to be ready to game online faster then waiting for your CONSOLE to update and be ready. I mean thats still sounds weird to me, "CONSOLE UPDATING"

Took me maybe two hours to fully update windows and everything. It did then take eternity to move all my data around properly but thats because hard drives are terrible.

Kahani:

AstaresPanda:
Abit shameful. Its very cool of them showing a way to fix it. But come on its just come out.

They've shipped over a million of these things already, so of course some of them will have issues. The only reason it's news at all is because the thing is new and everyone's getting it at the same time. With electronics, a 5% failure rate is considered about the best you can ever manage, so assuming the PS4 is among the most reliable things ever made you'd still expect to see tens of thousands of failure reports. If there was just a steady trickle of occasional reports of problems with new devices no-one would care in the slightest, it just looks like a lot because they're all happening at the same time. Most of the issues appear to simply be due to damage - bent bits of metal, damaged cables, and so on. The majority will have been caused during shipping and storage, with plenty being caused by the customers themselves trying to jam plugs in the wrong way around and so on.

As for day one patches, why would that be a bad thing? The release hardware and software will have been finalised months ago so that the things could actually be ready and in shops. Having a patch ready for when people actually get their hand on them means that Sony have still been using that time to fix and improve things. Unless you expect them to have got every bit of code perfect the first time, which never has happened and never will happen in the entire history of computers, patches are generally good.

No patches are not bad, always good to patch up and make stuff better. BUT its a console, part of the sales pitch is consoles are meant to work right out the box. It shows an incomplete product that they needed ready for the holidays(to me) And some people have been planning on enjoying time with their new consoles but cant coz of either it bricked or waiting around for patches. Either way ive dont recall this much problems with the ps3 or the ps2 launch. Why should it be any different.

If the rumored Foxconn protest of sabotaging consoles is actually real, and Sony confirms that as the cause of broken PS4s, console makers might have a huge problem later down the line with the xbox and every other item Foxconn makes.

So console gamers better hope its just mistakes by overworked students and cheapo parts, than an organized protest. If shit hits the fan, it will hit the fan in a big way in the form of bricked consoles.

On the other hand, if its just cheap parts than the ps4 will be the xbox 360 of this gen. Not exactly better.

I'm guessing at this point, the difference between a Apple Mac user and a Console user is that the console user has to fix it themselves.

Wait, enter safe mode, opening up and replacing parts, is the PS4 a PC? ;p

AstaresPanda:

Kahani:

AstaresPanda:

No patches are not bad, always good to patch up and make stuff better. BUT its a console, part of the sales pitch is consoles are meant to work right out the box. It shows an incomplete product that they needed ready for the holidays(to me) And some people have been planning on enjoying time with their new consoles but cant coz of either it bricked or waiting around for patches. Either way ive dont recall this much problems with the ps3 or the ps2 launch. Why should it be any different.

Exactly, the biggest advantage of consoles for the mass consumer is the fact that they are plug and play but with this generation there have been a lot of steps that the user needs to follow to make it work properly somewhat countering their biggest selling point. Remember how all you had to do back then was connect it to the TV and put the game on the tray?

If you have to do all these steps you arent really that far from doing the same on a PC.

Akisa:

I'm more wondering if this affects the warranty in any way. Normally, tinkering on a brand new console and trying to return it afterwards results in laughter and a gesture involving the middle finger.

josemlopes:

AstaresPanda:

Kahani:

Exactly, the biggest advantage of consoles for the mass consumer is the fact that they are plug and play but with this generation there have been a lot of steps that the user needs to follow to make it work properly somewhat countering their biggest selling point. Remember how all you had to do back then was connect it to the TV and put the game on the tray?

If you have to do all these steps you arent really that far from doing the same on a PC.

Yeap and the benefits for pc gamers, you might as well just spend alittle abit more and build a new pc. Lets see.

Games are cheaper on PC, also include a longer life span plus mods (Counter-Strike STILL most played FPS 10years on)
Steam sales.
Im just paying for my internet connection. Nothing more to play games online.
Online community is alot nicer and helpful next to console cousins.
RTS games are only on PC plays best with mouse and keyboard along with FPS.
graphics are better and your pc is easily upgraded to boost if wanted/needed.

Im still not seeing much of a benefit to buying a console this generation.

Chaosritter:

Akisa:

I'm more wondering if this affects the warranty in any way. Normally, tinkering on a brand new console and trying to return it afterwards results in laughter and a gesture involving the middle finger.

Not true, if you ^%$@ enough you can return anything!

Psychobabble:

No, thats not how you fix Japan things, that method only works for things built in Russia and China. (true story btw, due to poor assembly conditions often some things are left unhinged and hitting the thing pushes it in place and it starts working)

Ultratwinkie:
If the rumored Foxconn protest of sabotaging consoles is actually real, and Sony confirms that as the cause of broken PS4s, console makers might have a huge problem later down the line with the xbox and every other item Foxconn makes.

Wait, they did what now? not that it woudl be unexpected considering Fixconn, but that could spell doom for modern electronics (ok, not really, but foxconn does A LOT of stuff)
Also i think its very hard to be the new Xbox360, after all the reports so far arent that numerous in comparison, and Xbox 360 is allegedly 40% failure rate.

SourMilk:
I'm guessing at this point, the difference between a Apple Mac user and a Console user is that the console user has to fix it themselves.

Whereas MAc simply does not work by design.

Akisa:

Yes, a standartized, underpowered, limited PC with OS that is probably not better than Xbone one.

Psychobabble:

While working IT Support for Best Buy (way back before Geek Squad), the shop manual actually had a procedure called "percussive realignment". It was basically the only way to try and save a seized hard drive (since we weren't allowed to actually crack the drives open).

My housemate is considering getting a PS4 for ESO. Hopefully all the bugs will be worked out of the system by the time the game launches.

Akisa:

Welcome to 5 months ago. Yes, both the new systems use PC architecture, meaning they are essentially PCs. They were then dumbed down and given custom UIs. Welcome to the new era of Consoles, with all the bugs of PCs and none of the bonuses.

Captcha: High five.
Hell yea captcha!

Wasn't Sony's PS3 considered to be a pretty reliable system despite having a 10% failure rate? Depending on how "uncommon" this is then we may just be looking at some of the components that will make up that demographic.

Ultratwinkie:

Wait...WAT??? O.O

Do you have a linky you could provide for the rest of us? I mean, yeah, Googling it could be a thing...but I'd to know where you got your source from before I go hunting for mine. I know you mentioned that it's a rumor, but still...if you could, please?

I haven't had a problem with my PS4 system yet (knocks on vaiours kinds of lumber), but if that's a thing...I wonder if Sony would have a legal fallout with Foxconn?

EDIT: Just read a Kotaku article (and yes, I realize it's pretty much BS specualtion) and basically it really does just come down to rumors amid horrid working conditions at Foxconn and disgruntled employees. Whether any of it is true is anyone's guess at this point, but with the issues popping up, I wouldn't put it past anyone that there's a grain of truth to all of this.

I installed the day 1 patch, then after it installed I had the blinking blue light. Held power till forced shutdown, then when I started it it booted to safe mode, I chose to reinitialize the PS4 system, ran though setup again, and after that everything was and still is working fine.

snekadid:

Akisa:

Welcome to 5 months ago. Yes, both the new systems use PC architecture, meaning they are essentially PCs. They were then dumbed down and given custom UIs. Welcome to the new era of Consoles, with all the bugs of PCs and none of the bonuses.

Captcha: High five.
Hell yea captcha!

Hmm maybe I should practice my sarcasm ^^

Strazdas:

Psychobabble:

No, thats not how you fix Japan things, that method only works for things built in Russia and China. (true story btw, due to poor assembly conditions often some things are left unhinged and hitting the thing pushes it in place and it starts working)

Ultratwinkie:

Wait, they did what now? not that it woudl be unexpected considering Fixconn, but that could spell doom for modern electronics (ok, not really, but foxconn does A LOT of stuff)
Also i think its very hard to be the new Xbox360, after all the reports so far arent that numerous in comparison, and Xbox 360 is allegedly 40% failure rate.

SourMilk:

Whereas MAc simply does not work by design.

Akisa:

Yes, a standartized, underpowered, limited PC with OS that is probably not better than Xbone one.

yeah, there's a tumor from a intern.

Putting them together wrong.

Spitting on the inside.

Etc. While it may be a hoax, It COULD put an idea in the heads of workers at foxconn. It wouldn't surprise me. When your workers are young and driven suicidal by horrid conditions, there is nothing stopping them from hurting your pocket book. You already took their will to live, nothing you can do will scare them anymore.

If it is real, then foxconn is in trouble along with the rest of the electronics industry. They don't take well to slightly increased costs, and they could end up causing a shit fit and charging consumers more for consoles.

Which in turn, could doom consoles altogether in this economic time to a longer cycle.

I didn't buy one, but if I did I sure as hell would not be taking any screws or pins out even if Sony did provide a little diagram. (Hypothetically) Sony sold me a defective product so Sony will pay to have it shipped to tech support for repairs. I'm the consumer, not Sony's tech bitch.

Sarge034:
I didn't buy one, but if I did I sure as hell would not be taking any screws or pins out even if Sony did provide a little diagram. (Hypothetically) Sony sold me a defective product so Sony will pay to have it shipped to tech support for repairs. I'm the consumer, not Sony's tech bitch.

you forgot you would also complain it will take them 2 weeks to fix something you could have fixed in 10 minutes.

Strazdas:

Sarge034:

you forgot you would also complain it will take them 2 weeks to fix something you could have fixed in 10 minutes.

Incorrect. I would complain about Sony having sold me a defective product. This way it costs them more money to fix the problem. Like I said, I don't work for Sony so I'll be damned if I have to fix their broke shit. If enough people did this Sony would have to spend more money to fix the problems then it saved putting out half assed hardware. This could lead to better quality control and I'm not seeing that as a bad thing...

Sarge034:

Strazdas:

Sarge034:

Incorrect. I would complain about Sony having sold me a defective product. This way it costs them more money to fix the problem. Like I said, I don't work for Sony so I'll be damned if I have to fix their broke shit. If enough people did this Sony would have to spend more money to fix the problems then it saved putting out half assed hardware. This could lead to better quality control and I'm not seeing that as a bad thing...

You have to realize that no consumer electronic ever launched with 100% working product. We do not posses physical capabilities to do that unless you want a console to cost 5 million instead of 5 hundred. Errors happen, and while yes, it is Sonys responsibility to fix them, this whole "outrage" looks like a baby hissy fit if anything.
Sony would not have spent more money to fix problems. They probably did spend far more than others already considering they have such low failure rate. Remember Xbox360? That one had 40% failure rate at launch. thats 100 Times more broken consoles than PS4. In that case the outrage was understandable. 0.4% nope, that happens.

Don't you also break warranty by opening your console? I think they are trying to trick people into breaking their warranty.

Strazdas:
You have to realize that no consumer electronic ever launched with 100% working product. We do not posses physical capabilities to do that unless you want a console to cost 5 million instead of 5 hundred. Errors happen, and while yes, it is Sonys responsibility to fix them, this whole "outrage" looks like a baby hissy fit if anything.

I understand that no product can launch problem free. I'm pissed that they (hypothetically) sold me a defective product and then expect me to fix their shit. I'm sorry. I didn't realize a consumer demanding a company fix their broken shit was a "baby hissy fit". I thought it was smart consumerism...

Sony would not have spent more money to fix problems.

Nice assumption bro, tell me more.

They probably did spend far more than others already considering they have such low failure rate.

More assumption bro, you listened!

Remember Xbox360? That one had 40% failure rate at launch. thats 100 Times more broken consoles than PS4. In that case the outrage was understandable. 0.4% nope, that happens.

Remember the Black Death? That killed approx. 100,000,000 people. That's WAY WORSE than the 1918 Flu Pandemic that only killed approx. 75,000,000 people. Which, in turn, is WAY WORSE than the 1886-1890 Flu Pandemic that only killed approx. 1,000,000 people.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_epidemics

See, I can make bad things look not as bad too.

Remember when you could just buy shit and it would work properly right out of the box, I'm so glad I held off to wait it out on this. I might just hold out until better titles comes out for it ,or when they release the new "slim" version with a larger hard drive.

Sarge034:

Strazdas:

I understand that no product can launch problem free. I'm pissed that they (hypothetically) sold me a defective product and then expect me to fix their shit. I'm sorry. I didn't realize a consumer demanding a company fix their broken shit was a "baby hissy fit". I thought it was smart consumerism...

They probably did spend far more than others already considering they have such low failure rate.

Remember Xbox360? That one had 40% failure rate at launch. thats 100 Times more broken consoles than PS4. In that case the outrage was understandable. 0.4% nope, that happens.

Remember the Black Death? That killed approx. 100,000,000 people. That's WAY WORSE than the 1918 Flu Pandemic that only killed approx. 75,000,000 people. Which, in turn, is WAY WORSE than the 1886-1890 Flu Pandemic that only killed approx. 1,000,000 people.

I think saying they expect you to fix their shit is a bit strong of a word. You'd be well within your right to return the product and insist on replacement or repair without bothering with the troubleshooting, even if only by lying and insisting you tried anything that the customer assistance representatives suggested. The entire point of the troubleshooting is is that if you don't want to wait the weeks or which ever it takes to make set replacement, especially if the issue with the unit boils down to something as small as that whole bent pin issue in the HDMI port,.

Again, you are more than within your right to ignore said recommendations and just insist they fix it themselves. But criticizing the very existence of an option to possibly fix it yourself, that could indeed prove quicker and easier, is frankly just silly. O.o While such measures would save Sony money, yes, they also have the benefit of potentially saving some customers a great deal of time, by resolving their console hardware issues in two minutes instead of two weeks. Those who cannot restore their hardware using said measures, or for that matter simply refuse to even TRY based on principle, are certainly welcome to take the longer road.

Not everyone is interested in sticking it to the proverbial man. Some people just want to play their game stations, shockingly, and are willing to try any measures necessary to ensure that they can overcome whatever shitty obstacles get in their way. I mean, we're talking about launch date purchasers here, they're buying product at its most expensive, with the least number of features, with the least number of games, all because they want to own it immediately instead of in a year or two. If given an option between either simply mailing it off and waiting for weeks, or trying something that might let them play immediately, and if that fails mailing it off and waiting for weeks anyway... Better a slim chance than none, right?

Sarge034:

Strazdas:

They do not expect you to fix it. They provide you tips how you could fix it if you rather try yourself than wait till they fix it for you (which is a longer process as it is basically warranty process). They are giving you a choice, and i dont see anything wrong with that. No, demanding a company to fix broken console is not a baby hissy fit. Claiming that they should have launched problem free and that 0.4% failure rate is so terrible - is.
It is known that Sony spends a lot of money into its hardware quality assurance. Its part of the reason its electronics are usually that expensive. Yes, it is assumtion that they used same tactics they have been using for decades (PS3 included) and devided to put a lot of money into quality assurance. Such assumtions are often called Educated GUesses. You know, if it quacks like a duck, looks like a duck and flies like a duck its probably a duck.

Your comparison is apples and oranges. Yes, black death was worse than 1918 Flu. However it is not common practice for flu to kill millions. If it was normal for a flu to kill tens of millions your comparison would be correct. It is not, therefore you are comparing things that are not comparable. It is normal for electronics to have up to 10% failure rate (5% is considered very low).

Lunatic High:
Remember when you could just buy shit and it would work properly right out of the box

Yes, never.
All consumer electronics has failures. Its just that back when you were a kid in front of a [insert your console here] you didnt have internet nor you cared that other people had trouble - you were one of the 95% lucky ones.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here