Spike Announces VGX Nominees

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Spike VGX logo

Grand Theft Auto V, BioShock Infinite and The Last of Us lead this year's pack of Spike VGX nominees.

This year's slate of Spike VGX - formerly the VGAs, renamed to VGX earlier this month and no, we still don't know what the "X" stands for - nominees has been announced, and it should come as little surprise that Rockstar's Grand Theft Auto V tops the list with nine nominations including Best Action Adventure Game, Best Soundtrack and Game of the Year. Following closely behind is BioShock Infinite with eight nominations and The Last of Us, which pulled in seven.

Spike says the rechristened VGX "will abandon the traditional Hollywood style award show to feature more world premiere game trailers than ever before, plus extended deep dives into the next generation of games, new looks at gaming culture, one-on-one interviews with the industry's most visionary creatives and expert panels digging into what's coming to consoles in 2014 and beyond." The show will be "more games, less fame, in an intimate studio setting," the press release claims, although whether Spike has the wherewithal to make that happens is a an awfully big question.

In any event, some nomination highlights:

Game of the Year:

• BioShock Infinite
  • Grand Theft Auto V
  • Super Mario 3D World
  • The Last of Us
  • Tomb Raider

Studio of the Year:

• Irrational Games
  • Naughty Dog
  • Rockstar North
  • The Fullbright Company

Best Indie Game:

• Gone Home
  • Kentucky Route Zero
  • Papers, Please
  • The Stanley Parable

Best Soundtrack:

• BioShock Infinite
  • Grand Theft Auto V
  • Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch
  • The Last of Us

Best DLC:

• Borderland 2: Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep
  • Dishonored: The Knife of Dunwall
  • Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon
  • Mass Effect 3: Citadel

Many of you will note that Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon is a stand-alone game and thus not DLC by most measures, but hey, what's an award show without a little controversy? VGX nominees and winners are chosen by the "VGX Advisory Council," made up of game journalists from a number of sites that don't include this one, with the exception of "Most Anticipated Game," which will be selected by the public from amongst Destiny, Titanfall, South Park: The Stick of Truth, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt and Watch Dogs. The Spike VGX show airs on December 7.

Source: Spike VGX

-No Shin Megami Tensei IV
-No Fire Emblem Awakening
-No Pokemon X&Y
-No Phoenix Wright: Dual Destinies

1/10 would not watch.

Well best male Voice Actor Nominies should be:

Troy Baker as Joel
Troy Baker as Booker DeWitt
Troy Baker as The Boss from Saints Row IV
Troy Baker as The Joker

Surprised that "Last of Us" is up there. Won't be surprised when it get's knocked off by GTA V.

And not one mention of Beyond: Two Souls, aside from VA nominations.

Coupled with the nomination of The Stanley Parable for best PC game, I might actually give the VGX award show a look now.

Super Mario 3d world is not even out yet. It better be one of the top 5 best games of the year now. Some of these seem like odd choices. Fullbright company and Gone Home seem like odd choices after hearing peoples reactions to that game. Well this is the VGAs so it is always not worth much.

Instead of Best Soundtrack, they should have Best Original Soundtrack, as GTA V has an unfair advantage because of all the licensed music.

Other than that, I will still not watch because they will award GTA V with GoTY due to popular opinion; the game was good, but I don't think that it was that good.

Also people will be upset by the lack of Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons.

Not me though.

Papers Please ftw

Interesting that outside Super Mario and maybe GTA V the other games are focused on story and character and not gameplay.

Weird no Mario Kart nor the new SSB for most antecipated game.

Also, if Bioshock wins for best shooter I'm going to get mad, because any other of the same category as better shooting mechanics.

And here is my commentary on what I wanna whine about:
Game of the Year: Where is Metro: Last Light? A repeating sentence you will see. Also, can we replace GTA 5 with the better Saint's Row 4?

Studio of the Year: I think people need to see the difference between a competent studio (one that know good game design) and a good studio (someone that can make "art"). Also, if a studio made a great game with a relatively low budget in bad working conditions: Nominee them.

Best Soundtrack: I don't really know if Fire Emblem: Awakening (The game Jim Sterling never much play) really has a great soundtrack, it is just used really well.But apparently not well enough to be nominated.

Best Shooter: Call of Duty & Battlefield need to take notes from Metro 2033 to get a passing grade, and Bioshock suffers from a poorly released world. Last Light should be the clear winner(Fun fact: I guessed all the nominees).

Best PC game: Where is Metro: Last Light?

Best Handheld Game: Why no Fire Emblem: Awakening? Is it really that importent to have a Sony game in a year where the 3DS has kicked all kind of ass?

Best Causel Game: Should not Call of Duty or GTA be nominated here?

Best Song: This should be named "Best Lyrical Song", because best song is "Don't Speak Her Name" from Fire Emblem: Awakening.

Not a Call Of Duty in a major category. My wishes are coming true~
(except for shooter, but that's obligatory)

Best Soundtrack:

Grand Theft Auto V

...What? As in the licensed music radio stations?

I hope "Will the Circle be Unbroken" win for best song, and The Last of Us/Bioshock Infinite wins best game.

TizzytheTormentor:
-No Pokemon X&Y

1/10 would not watch.

Besides Pokemon (which I edit to add in IS up for best handheld game) most of those are niche handhelds. Did you really expect those games to take center stage in an internationally broadcast-ed awards show?

Colbster94:

TizzytheTormentor:
-No Pokemon X&Y

1/10 would not watch.

Besides Pokemon (which I edit to add in IS up for best handheld game) most of those are niche handhelds. Did you really expect those games to take center stage in an internationally broadcast-ed awards show?

That is what bothers me, its only games that have/will sell a guaranteed few million units that get onto the show, regardless of the quality of "niche" games.

For example, Super Mario 3D World isn't even out yet, how does it have GotY status even though it we don't know if its good or not (odds are its gonna be great but still)

schrodinger:

Best Soundtrack:

Grand Theft Auto V

...What? As in the licensed music radio stations?

I hope "Will the Circle be Unbroken" win for best song, and The Last of Us/Bioshock Infinite wins best game.

GTA V actually has music that plays even if the radio isn't playing and its pretty good.

TizzytheTormentor:

Colbster94:

TizzytheTormentor:
-No Pokemon X&Y

1/10 would not watch.

That is what bothers me, its only games that have/will sell a guaranteed few million units that get onto the show, regardless of the quality of "niche" games.

For example, Super Mario 3D World isn't even out yet, how does it have GotY status even though it we don't know if its good or not (odds are its gonna be great but still)

Who decided the nominees? If it was a jury it's likely they had a Super Mario 3D World sooner. Some reviewers had them already, but they can only public the reviews on a stipulated date.

Let's start this:

Game of the Year:

BioShock Infinite - Fair enough.
Grand Theft Auto V - Okay, saw this coming from miles ago.
Super Mario 3D World - Wha? Seriously? Not any other game you could think of?
The Last of Us - Really badly written and overly hyped, saw this one coming.
Tomb Raider - WHA?- Again, Just...What?

You know what, i was going to comment troughly every single nomination, but these Games of The Year just took all of my enthusiasm.

Yeah I'm gonna skip this.

WHAT?! Call of Doody isn't game of the year nominated!? Is this really on Spike?

And cue incoming rage about what games are/aren't in each category so we can all get in huge arguments over an ultimately meaningless awards show that has the maturity of the average 15 year old CoD fan. Because lord forbid a game you didn't like gets praised over a game you did like.

/cynicism

So yeah, no CoD on goty list. I thought Spike was contractually obligated to at least include it on there.

/cynicismforrealthistime

Honestly I didn't play a lot of new games this year mostly due to budget constraints. The only game of the year nominee I played was Bioshock Infinite which was a pretty mixed bag overall. Not for the actual game mechanics that seems to have ruined it for everyone else mind, I enjoyed the HELL out of the skyrail-riding, super-power throwing, fast paced shooting.

Storywise it just tried hitting too much at once, and even though it remained interesting it stumbled along the way. Switching to the Vox Populi as the main enemy half way through was an odd choice. "Here, sympathize with the marginlized minorities forced into brutish competition to see who can work the hardest for the least pay so the rich, white upper-class can live in paradise! No wait, now that they're uprising it turns out they're actually monsters, kill them!"

Yeah, some seriously mixed messages there.

l3o2828:

Super Mario 3D World - Wha? Seriously? Not any other game you could think of?

Why do you say that?

If the format is what the press release is claiming, it may be bearable for once. The last thing most of us care about is some random celebrity thrown on stage because reasons. Will I watch it though? Probably not. Once the new premiere trailers come out, sites like Gametrailers will have them ready to watch any way.

That is a really weak indie game category. Payday 2, Spelunky, and Don't Starve are all better than Stanley Parable and Gone Home

Andy Chalk:

Grand Theft Auto V, BioShock Infinite and The Last of Us lead this year's pack of Spike VGX nominees.

This year's slate of Spike VGX - formerly the VGAs, renamed to VGX earlier this month and no, we still don't know what the "X" stands for -

The X stands for "X-TREEEEEEEME!!!!*guitar riff*"

Spelled exactly like that. Including the guitar riff. That's the most important part.

Full Metal Bolshevik:

TizzytheTormentor:

Colbster94:

Who decided the nominees? If it was a jury it's likely they had a Super Mario 3D World sooner. Some reviewers had them already, but they can only public the reviews on a stipulated date.

Its inclusion strikes me as "Oh crap oh crap we don't have any Nintendo nominees. Um... throw Mario on there."

Where the bus is Saints Row 4? Come on guys, what a stupid contest.

Not bad choices, though the lack of Saints Row IV was a bit disappointing. Probably not GOTY material like GTAV, but at the very least it had a better soundtrack.

Also, Troy Baker, Troy Baker and Steven Ogg? I totes called the best male performance nominees. I only missed Willem DaFoe and that's because I didn't care about Beyond.

Not bad choices there, Spike TV finally get it's head out of it's ass? Would watch it, but I got rid of cable a year and half ago.

Here's what I would choose.

Game of the Year:

BioShock Infinite

Studio of the Year:

Irrational Games

Best Indie Game:

Gone Home
Kentucky Route Zero
Papers, Please
The Stanley Parable

I can't choose, they all win.

Best Soundtrack:

BioShock Infinite - For God Only Knows, and the most chilling version of Good Night Irene I have ever heard.

Best DLC:

Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon - Easy win in this category

Only disappointment, no Metro: Last Light, which would have made my Game of The Year choice much harder.

Edit: Metro: Last Light is under best shooter, so I voted for it there.

oh god, i wasn't being serious

i didn't think they'd actually make the best dlc category

ugggggh

Best DLC has to be either Citadel or Assault On Dragon Keep.

TizzytheTormentor:
-No Pokemon X&Y

1/10 would not watch.

All sequels in a series beaten to death already. Then again I haven't played any handheld games in years. N64 emulator on my phone is best game.

Full Metal Bolshevik:
Interesting that outside Super Mario and maybe GTA V the other games are focused on story and character and not gameplay.

Weird no Mario Kart nor the new SSB for most antecipated game.

Also, if Bioshock wins for best shooter I'm going to get mad, because any other of the same category as better shooting mechanics.

I have to disagree on that last one, I thought the shooting mechanics were really good in Bioshock Infinite. Besides, from the list of competitors, the only one that I could see maybe being a better overall package would be metro last light, so it doesn't really bother me which of the two wins out. Also I haven't ever been a big fan of the mechanics in either COD or Battlefield before.

Flutterguy:

TizzytheTormentor:
-No Pokemon X&Y

1/10 would not watch.

All sequels in a series beaten to death already.

What?

No really, SMT IV and Fire Emblem: Awakening have been considered the pinnacle of their respective series, Dual Destinies is considered a very welcome addition to the series and Pokemon X&Y is arguably one of the strongest games in the series.

Then again I haven't played any handheld games in years. N64 emulator on my phone is best game.

So you claim the games are beaten to death, yet have never played them?

Runner 2 was snubbed in the indie category.

Holy crap at those Voice Actress nominations. To me that seems to be the hardest one to pick a winner for. Part of me says Ashley Johnson, but Ellen Page was really good in Beyond, and Courtnee Draper was so good as Elizabeth. Camilla Luddington as Lara was fine and made me care about the character, but sad to say I think she isn't going to win. Also, Troy Baker getting TWO nomination spots for Voice Actor? He deserves it yeah, but just a tad strange. Best DLC has to go to ME3 Citadel, but then again its the only one I've played. Very awesome though.

I foresee a lot of The Last of Us wins though, probably interchangeable with Bioshock Infinite of course. Then again you got GTA V there and that might steal a lot of wins from under both of them. Best song for me should be "will the circle is unbroken". Soundtrack...maybe Ni No Kuni from what I've heard of it? Don't really know since music isn't something I actively look for in games unless it blows my socks off right off the gate (Nier, Xenoblade Chronicles). Shame about Brothers: a tale of two sons only getting one nomination that WASN'T music, since I thought it did that very well.

Seeing a lot of Tomb Raider nominations is weird though. I mean, it was a fine fun game and I liked Lara's actress, but I never thought of it as GOTY material. Even though it wasn't my favorite cup of tea, I think it would have been more believable to have Beyond getting the nominations in its place. Speaking of Beyond, I feel like it should have had more...spotlight I guess? Again it wasn't my favorite game (I preferred Heavy Rain for several aspects), but not seeing much of anything makes me disappointed for some reason.

Well anyway, here's hoping the show has some good reveals! Also, only 4 nominations per category? I think 5 would have been better, but what can you do?

TizzytheTormentor:
-No Pokemon X&Y

1/10 would not watch.

Pretty much this. Though we're not the audience for this show. It's basically the Teen Choice Awards with a videogame coat of paint.

Flutterguy:

TizzytheTormentor:
-No Pokemon X&Y

1/10 would not watch.

All sequels in a series beaten to death already. Then again I haven't played any handheld games in years. N64 emulator on my phone is best game.

Fire Emblem Awakening is really, really, really, good. I've never played any before so I had no prior exposure and my overall opinion is that it is easily one of the best games of the year. I haven't played Phoenix Wright or Shin Megami Tensei so I can't speak on those and Pokemon X/Y is the best outing pokemon has had in years.

TizzytheTormentor:
-No Pokemon X&Y

1/10 would not watch.

Does this mean we need a "true international" video game award show, then? ...And then, if I tell execs to be more "international", they'll still limited to America (mostly), Europe, and that "sprinkle" of Asia Japan-based games that got a US and/or UK release... *foreshadowed facepalm* (...should of wished for a more open-ended video game award show, which includes each console/handheld getting their own "best of" category...)

RaikuFA:

TizzytheTormentor:
-snip-

Pretty much this. Though we're not the audience for this show. It's basically the Teen Choice Awards with a videogame coat of paint.

I was gonna go as far as say that this is basically the Kids Choice Awards where the "slime" is replaced by non-video game sparkles and the video games, themselves, are that "small" cherry on top... But, I feel that's being a bit harsh on something that not even "geared" towards me, personally... unless I count Mario... (*narrows eyes* I see what you did there, Spike...)

OT: Now, I'm curious as to why the Escaptist wasn't chosen to be part of this "VGX Advisory Council" in choosing the gaming nominations... I'm sure they would have made perfect cases that in no way would fully "contradict" with the majority of what the other sites had in mind in any way, shape, or form... *only half being sarcastic throughout[1]*

On a more serious note, who's going to watch this award show just out of curiosity... because I tend to only watch these out of that "curiosity" that hopes that something different will happen... and I have yet to fully see it outside of SLJ... (And the changing the "A" to an "X" doe not count as an "unexpected turn of events"...)

[1] since I'm assuming the Escapist didn't sign up for their "Publisher's Club" in order to be chosen anyway... LOL

I have this trick that helped me enjoy the last few VGA's on Spike. I don't watch it and just wait for the reveal trailers to show up about an hour later online. While I didn't hate any of the nominees that I played, I can't say I care enough for any of them either.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here