Spike Announces VGX Nominees

Pages PREV 1 2

Hmmm...

Game of the Year: Grand Theft Auto V
Sue me. I know this site has a real hard on of hatred for this game, but imma give no fucks! Rockstar North has taken seemingly taken everything they've learned over the years and put it all into this game. On top of being extremely fun and immersive, I actually found it to be a very effective ribbing of uber-masculine culture. I feel the game intentionally pits itself as a standard male power fantasy, only to pull the rug out from under you when you realize all your strife has only generated anger, self-loathing, and mania, with only an incredibly vapid sense of accomplishment to offset it at the end.

Best Studio: Naughty Dog
As much as I love Rockstar North for creating the world they did, and respect The Fullbright Company for their progressive efforts with Gone Home, I have to give the award to Naughty Dog. They stuck to their guns with The Last of Us and refused to make Ellie less prominent. In the AAA industry, that's a seriously cool move.

Best Indie: The Stanley Parable
Hilarious and extremely insightful indie game that makes intelligent commentary on everything from player choice to 'art games.' Davey Wreden has managed to craft a game about games that's not completely full of itself, and that's great!

Best Soundtrack: Grand Theft Auto V
Once again, Rockstar North blew it out of the park with the score. They've had a history of doing excellent compositions for their games, and this is no exception. Every track is so cool, and they match the mood of the scenes they occupy perfectly.

This tune has quickly become one of my favorite pieces of video game music. Like... ever.

Best DLC: Far Cry 3: Blood Dragons
Dinosaurs that shoot lasers. End of story.

Best Male performance: Steven Ogg as Trevor Phillips
Yes, Troy Baker delivered great performances as both Joel and Booker, but god damn... Steven Ogg is just so POWERFUL as Trevor. He's so completely depraved and disgusting, and he gives himself over to it entirely. The fact that he also mo-capped the character adds so much as even Trevor's physicality is scary. There's no question of treading a line with Trevor, he's just a constantly detonating explosive, emanating rage wherever he goes, and doling out destruction of all kinds. I also think he's kind of sad in just how pathetic he is. When he freaks out, it seems like something he feels he has to do, instead of something he wants to do.

Best Female Performance: I... have no idea.
Ashley Johnson as Ellie and Courtnee Draper as Elizabeth are just equally incredible and I just can't put one over the other.

TizzytheTormentor:
-No Shin Megami Tensei IV
-No Fire Emblem Awakening
-No Pokemon X&Y
-No Phoenix Wright: Dual Destinies

1/10 would not watch.

Fire Emblem and Pokemon X/Y are contenders for the Best RPG award, does that count?

I can't comment on the quality of SMT IV, being Australian (Why can't it be out yet!? *Shakes fist*), however I do know that the audience for SMT in general is pretty niche at the best of times, so expecting it to be nominated from a fairly board field of contenders is asking a little too much, surely?

BLOOOD DRAAAGOON! :D it was so fun! xD

FPLOON:
snip

I'm...not quite sure what you are getting at.

I was primarily joking, I know the games listed are great, I do find it odd that Super Mario 3D World is there despite not having a full release yet and already having a GotY spot, the game could be riddled with glitches and be borderline unplayable for all we know (it most likely won't be as Nintendo generally releases games like these 98% bug free, but still)

The Eupho Guy:

TizzytheTormentor:
-No Pokemon X&Y

1/10 would not watch.

Fire Emblem and Pokemon X/Y are contenders for the Best RPG award, does that count?

I can't comment on the quality of SMT IV, being Australian (Why can't it be out yet!? *Shakes fist*), however I do know that the audience for SMT in general is pretty niche at the best of times, so expecting it to be nominated from a fairly board field of contenders is asking a little too much, surely?

Was mostly joking, SMT IV is easily the best game I have played all year, so I thought it would rate a mention, but it would seem not.

As for Australia not having the game yet, yeah, get used to non-Asia/North America territories getting the finger when it comes to Atlus games. Nintendo is supposed to be publishing SMT IV in Europe and Australia, but who knows when.

TizzytheTormentor:

The Eupho Guy:

TizzytheTormentor:
-No Pokemon X&Y

1/10 would not watch.

Was mostly joking, SMT IV is easily the best game I have played all year, so I thought it would rate a mention, but it would seem not.

As for Australia not having the game yet, yeah, get used to non-Asia/North America territories getting the finger when it comes to Atlus games. Nintendo is supposed to be publishing SMT IV in Europe and Australia, but who knows when.

As a long suffering Atlus fan, I am used to it, however its only really the handheld games that are an issue. Everything else I can import. At least I have Devil Survivor Overclocked (Now that it is fixed) and Soul Hackers to keep me amused until IV comes out.

The Eupho Guy:

TizzytheTormentor:

The Eupho Guy:

As a long suffering Atlus fan, I am used to it, however its only really the handheld games that are an issue. Everything else I can import. At least I have Devil Survivor Overclocked (Now that it is fixed) and Soul Hackers to keep me amused until IV comes out.

I'm Irish and I bought an American 3DS so I won't get shafted on those games, since they are some of the best around, sucks that it takes so long to localize them, did you know Devil Survivor 2 only just came out in Europe?

With the glaring exception of the premature Mario nomination, these aren't particularly bad. People give the Spike awards a well deserved flogging for the pandering presentation, but the actual award distributions are pretty solid.

I'm a bit curious about how the voting works; since Troy Baker has two nominations for Best Voice Actor, are votes for him counted separately for Bioshock and The Last of Us, or are they added together? Because if Steven Ogg or Willem Dafoe get more votes than him for one of his two roles, but the combined total of votes for him in Bioshock and The Last of Us is higher than either of them, who deserves the award? It doesn't help that all three/four of them are equally deserving of the award IMO.

Game of the Year:

BioShock Infinite

Studio of the Year:

Irrational Games

Best Indie Game:

The Stanley Parable

Best Soundtrack:

BioShock Infinite

Best DLC:

Mass Effect Citadel. Definitely redeemed ME3 in my eyes (Blood Dragon coming in a very close second).

Most Anticipated Game:

The Witcher 3 by far.

Apart from being game of the year The Last of Us should definately win best soundtrack. That score was absolutely magnificent.

GTA5 will likely rake in all the awards though seeing as it was the most finacially succesful.

Tomb Raider as a GOTY candidate?
Was this year really that slow?

It's a good title and well worth the money but I have hard time seeing it as a contender for the absolute best. I'm just having fun though, it's completely pointless to nitpick these things especially when I don't plan to watch this show and have no real investment in it.

I won't think any more or less of a game I've played if it wins a GOTY award.

McMarbles:

Full Metal Bolshevik:

TizzytheTormentor:

That is what bothers me, its only games that have/will sell a guaranteed few million units that get onto the show, regardless of the quality of "niche" games.

For example, Super Mario 3D World isn't even out yet, how does it have GotY status even though it we don't know if its good or not (odds are its gonna be great but still)

Who decided the nominees? If it was a jury it's likely they had a Super Mario 3D World sooner. Some reviewers had them already, but they can only public the reviews on a stipulated date.

Its inclusion strikes me as "Oh crap oh crap we don't have any Nintendo nominees. Um... throw Mario on there."

Why? When it's probably going to be a great game? Heck, the only review we know of gave 9.6 and it was leaked.

And if they really wanted a Nintendo game they could put Zelda there, it got around 91%.

Full Metal Bolshevik:

l3o2828:

Super Mario 3D World - Wha? Seriously? Not any other game you could think of?

Why do you say that?

To put this in perspective, i think DMC deserves that spot better than a yet to be released title.
And DMC wasn't even that great.

l3o2828:

Full Metal Bolshevik:

l3o2828:

Super Mario 3D World - Wha? Seriously? Not any other game you could think of?

Why do you say that?

To put this in perspective, i think DMC deserves that spot better than a yet to be released title.
And DMC wasn't even that great.

So, Mario hasen't yet been released but you think DMC is better than it?

When first: It's likely they played Mario 3D World already
Second: It's even more likely Super Mario 3D World gets better reviews than DMC and Tomb Raider.

TizzytheTormentor:

The Eupho Guy:

TizzytheTormentor:

I'm Irish and I bought an American 3DS so I won't get shafted on those games, since they are some of the best around, sucks that it takes so long to localize them, did you know Devil Survivor 2 only just came out in Europe?

I thought about doing that, but I couldn't justify the cost for the few games that I would get early. Also, I didn't know that DS2 had been released, I've got it on order now on Ebay, thanks for the tip!

I have to say, man, these nominations aren't half bad, even if GTA5 will win GOTY.

Gives me hope for an award show that DOESN'T suck (looking at you Grammys).

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here