X Rebirth Studio Boss Apologizes For Buggy Launch

Pages 1 2 NEXT

X Rebirth Studio Boss Apologizes For Buggy Launch

X Rebirth screen

Egosoft boss Bernd Lehahn says he's sorry for the buggy state of X Rebirth but promises that fixes and improvements are on the way.

If you're familiar with the X franchise then you probably won't be surprised to learn that the launch of X Rebirth has not gone particularly smoothly. The game is plagued by a number of bugs, including some rather serious crash bugs, language issues, AI problems and spotty performance on high-end PCs. The good news is that Egosoft isn't burying its head in the sand, as Lehahn posted a message on the X Rebirth Steam forums over the weekend apologizing for the mess and promising that things are being done.

He called the launch of X Rebirth a "huge success," with more than 10,000 people playing at any given time on Steam, plus more who are playing offline. "Great though it is to see that the game is so successful and that many people are having a lot of fun with it, it pains me to see every case where the game causes problems," he wrote. "Sorry folks, I can only apologize for that."

But the main point of the post is to lay out the studio's priorities over the next few weeks. Topping the list are language bugs and "true crash bugs," which the team will try to replicate on PCs built specifically for testing; also in the works are performance improvements for high-end PCs, which Lehahn said appear to be suffering the most.

"This may partly be because we made no special attempt to optimize for fast PCs. It even seems as though the most extreme high-end PCs barely have higher framerates than mid-range ones," he wrote. "We will be tackling this issue aggressively and will be stocking up on high end hardware for tests, to try out things like SLI and hex-core systems. Of course optimizations will also benefit other systems."

X Rebirth early adopters suffering from technical issues can find tips on avoiding crashes here, and on performance improvements here.

Source: Steam Forums

The bugs can be fixed, the really really shitty core design flaws are a lot harder to fix, and would require nearly a rewrite of the whole game.

But then again, we really shouldnt expect much from a game that has been proven to be made for consoles, then was quickly jury rigged to work on PC.

Luckily Steam has been giving out refunds on the game.

Desert Punk:
The bugs can be fixed, the really really shitty core design flaws are a lot harder to fix, and would require nearly a rewrite of the whole game.

But then again, we really shouldnt expect much from a game that has been proven to be made for consoles, then was quickly jury rigged to work on PC.

Where was that proven? From what I can see the game was made with no intention of being on consoles.

Ragsnstitches:

Desert Punk:

Where was that proven? From what I can see the game was made with no intention of being on consoles.

I will start with the speculitive bits;

First the games view is locked around 50pov like a lot of console games, there is no joystick support on a PC flying game, if you drop the game down to 720p the fonts are enlarged to perfectly be viewable on TV screens, the vsync is locked at 30fps like console games.

and the most damning hard evidence;

If you open the shader files there are over 1,000 references to the xbox360 by name there, and these have absolutely nothing to do with the gamepad.

Hell even the fact that the entire game plays like shit with keyboard and mouse, but works much more smoothly with the gamepad screams that the game is a shitty port.

Edit: and here are some pictures for ya

Edit2: Oh and the game is locked at Direct X 9c, which the Xbox uses DirectX 9 if I recall

An X game with a buggy launch?! Come on!

You're kidding...

Also are we calling people who buy on release "early adopters" now?

It's not buggy so much as outright broken right now. I'm still enjoying the bits of the game that work correctly and I genuinely look forward to the day the bugs are fixed and some of the other issues get looked at (as I do honestly feel there's a good game buried in there somewhere), but this game's release was pretty abysmal.

Is it just me or would these apologies be unnecessary it more effort was put into Q&A prior to launch? I mean it's great that he's owning up and whatever, but I see this as a problem that could've been prevented.

canadamus_prime:
Is it just me or would these apologies be unnecessary it more effort was put into Q&A prior to launch? I mean it's great that he's owning up and whatever, but I see this as a problem that could've been prevented.

One would think that with 7 years in development that they would have devoted atleast a few months to some basic QA.

Desert Punk:

canadamus_prime:

One would think that with 7 years in development that they would have devoted atleast a few months to some basic QA.

Wait 7 YEARS??? It was in development 7 years and it still came out buggy as hell? That's got to be some kind of crime.

canadamus_prime:

Desert Punk:

canadamus_prime:

Wait 7 YEARS??? It was in development 7 years and it still came out buggy as hell? That's got to be some kind of crime.

not really. its almost ceratin that they have had at least 2 versions that have been almost completely scraped

its also a almost comepltely new engine, with multicore support and a new graphics render system.

thats several years work alone

7 Years of development ladies and gentlemen..

The rumors are that this was indeed supposed to be for xbox 360 but got rejected.. so they took what they had and tried to port it over to PC

That would atleast explain why the only controls that function without problems are xbox 360 controllers... you cant even change some of the keybindings.. it just wont let you.

Lol. These guys are like the German Bethesda, every X game I've bought has required multiple patches before they were playable. This is why I'm waiting a while before buying this one. Plus I have other games to play before I get to this one...mmmmm new PC hopefully tomorrow, thanks for that FedEx.

oliver.begg:

canadamus_prime:

Desert Punk:

not really. its almost ceratin that they have had at least 2 versions that have been almost completely scraped

its also a almost comepltely new engine, with multicore support and a new graphics render system.

Still in 7 years there should've been plenty of time to do some Q&A. Of course that still begs the question as to why they or any other company would knowingly release a game in such an incredibly buggy state.

canadamus_prime:

oliver.begg:

canadamus_prime:

Still in 7 years there should've been plenty of time to do some Q&A. Of course that still begs the question as to why they or any other company would knowingly release a game in such an incredibly buggy state.

Revenue is important, and angry fans can be pacified if you get the game working quickly enough.

The problem with X: Rebirth isn't its bugs.
The problem is game design decisions that break various much beloved X traditions and have nothing positive to show for doing so. And when they're not breaking great traditions they're just downright fucking hideous on their own.

Avoid. This. Game.
Seriously.

Candidus:

The problem is game design decisions that break various much beloved X traditions

Like gameplay that doesn't consist mostly of "autopilot->flythrough-> push J-> read book"?

OT: Rebirth is the first X game that has faster pacing than a particularly sluggish glacier so I was really dissapointed in how buggy it was at launch, but it wouldn't be the first game I came to love after a few patches (The Witcher 2, Sanctum 2, Magica, ect.) and I have confidence that most of what bugs me about the game will be fixed. Except the horrible acting and horrendously ugly NPC faces, those are just standard for Egosoft.

major_chaos:

Candidus:

The problem is game design decisions that break various much beloved X traditions

Like gameplay that doesn't consist mostly of "autopilot->flythrough-> push J-> read book"?

OT: Rebirth is the first X game that has faster pacing than a particularly sluggish glacier so I was really dissapointed in how buggy it was at launch, but it wouldn't be the first game I came to love after a few patches (The Witcher 2, Sanctum 2, Magica, ect.) and I have confidence that most of what bugs me about the game will be fixed. Except the horrible acting and horrendously ugly NPC faces, those are just standard for Egosoft.

Like being able to watch the universe do its thing around you in accelerated time. Like being able to choose from a vast number of ships*.
> * This decision is just unjustifiable. The interiors look like garbage, and there are only about 10 ship and station interiors in total. You don't trade dozens of ships for 10 shit interiors. Then there's the forcing of the Argon Skunk name on the players of a series that has previously been all about sandbox, autonomy and choice. Why? So their unwelcome co-pilot can annoy you with something other than "NO SHUT UP BETTY". Objectively terrible design choices with no redeeming factors. This is what they look like.

Ahem, anyway... Like trading that consists of actual exploration and study rather than spoon-fed price comparisons with a system-wide average that you don't even have to work out on your own! Rebirth practically squashes your cheeks, turns your head with its hands and shows you where 'and' what the gaps in the market are-- oh, and the market is a whole lot easier to grasp in the first place with about 1/100th of the products.

Like the massive reduction in scale-- do you know why people loved time acceleration? It wasn't to accelerate trade OR travel. Some of the best mods for X3TC and AP enabled wars between species that changed the shape of whole chains of systems, which cascaded into huge consequences for everything from trade, to a faction's vulnerability to Xenon and Kha'ak attack. It was almost roguelike, almost Mount and Blade in the way you could lose a whole faction totally unscripted. People loved time acceleration because it allowed events to unfold that they'd want to interact with!! That shit is all gone.

In my opinion, X Rebirth is X for ADHD suffering children who couldn't take the slow burn that the series has `always` been about.

Wow. I didn't know games like this existed, I've got some playing to do. After a search though, think I might wait and see what Star Citizen is like. Maybe try X3 since I've been reading that was really good.

AdagioBoognish:
Wow. I didn't know games like this existed, I've got some playing to do. After a search though, think I might wait and see what Star Citizen is like. Maybe try X3 since I've been reading that was really good.

Be warned, if you've never played an X game, X3 is obtuse as fuck. They don't really explain anything in-game and you kinda just have to flail away at things until you figure it out. As a newcomer to the series, you probably don't want to start there.

I'm still desperate enough for a space sim that I'll probably get it.
...But I might wait for a steam sale.

RandV80:

canadamus_prime:

oliver.begg:

Revenue is important, and angry fans can be pacified if you get the game working quickly enough.

Which is another thing that saddens me. Why do we just roll over and accept this?

This is why publishers should stop putting absurd deadlines for games, you get shitty launches such as this, Rome 2, Aliens: CM and more. Or whatever lead up to the crappy launch of this game.

Deep Silver, you know better than this.

canadamus_prime:

canadamus_prime:

Q&A = Questions & Answers

QA = Quality Assurance

Adraeus:

canadamus_prime:

canadamus_prime:

Q&A = Questions & Answers

QA = Quality Assurance

Whatever. I think you know what I meant.

Glaice:
This is why publishers should stop putting absurd deadlines for games, you get shitty launches such as this, Rome 2, Aliens: CM and more. Or whatever lead up to the crappy launch of this game.

Deep Silver, you know better than this.

After 7 years in development hell Deep silver was more then in the right to finaly demand a product.

At this point they where throwing money at a burning fire in order to put it out.

Its a wonder that deep silver didnt canned the entire project.. but i guess they did count on the fanbase buying the game hand over fist without waiting for reviews comming in.

It was also rather telling that something wasnt right from the game trailers and Dev videos. The only things they ever showed was how flashy the game is and how combat looked.

They never really adressed trading or station/cap ship building or how to interact with your own fleet.

"Don't preorder" has pretty much become "don't buy on launch" these days.
I loved the earlier x games, this just makes me sad

Bugs... what bugs ? ive had no problems so far and im in 5 hours xD

Karadalis:
Its a wonder that deep silver didnt canned the entire project.. but i guess they did count on the fanbase buying the game hand over fist without waiting for reviews comming in.

It was also rather telling that something wasnt right from the game trailers and Dev videos. The only things they ever showed was how flashy the game is and how combat looked.

There was one review from a major, or major-ish, outlet: Rock, Paper & Shotgun. Leading up to release, there were no let's plays, previews, or any sort of coverage beyond "this thing we made is coming out" announcements. There was no launch campaign and virtually no marketing. I'd wager that the team simply ran out of money, a likely consequence of an overly long development cycle.

Adraeus:

Karadalis:

There was one review from a major, or major-ish, outlet: Rock, Paper & Shotgun. Leading up to release, there were no let's plays, previews, or any sort of coverage beyond "this thing we made is coming out" announcements. There was no launch campaign and virtually no marketing. I'd wager that the team simply ran out of money, a likely consequence of an overly long development cycle.

There where Dev videos.. not many but like 2 or 3

None of them touched ANYTHING outside of fighting and what i can only describe as a heavily scripted demo level.

Thought they werent getting tired of showing how awesome the xbox controller was and how easaly you could fly your ship with it.

Oh and ofcourse how close you oculd get to space stations and cap ships with your own ships.

Also Cap ships are a joke now since even with your unupgraded ship you can take them out... thats not exactly something i expect when i think of "capital ship"

Sorry Egg, you had better thought about it before launch instead.

AdagioBoognish:

Dont... start with this. Go back to X3 games instead.

Agayek:
Be warned, if you've never played an X game, X3 is obtuse as fuck. They don't really explain anything in-game and you kinda just have to flail away at things until you figure it out. As a newcomer to the series, you probably don't want to start there.

I diasgree. I was a newcommer to the Xverse not long ago (X humblebundle!) and was advised to skip the first two due to very unwelcoming control scheme, so i cant compare as i did indeed at least delayed the old ones for now, but the X3 one... yeah there isn o tutorial, so i spent first couple hours (lets face it , couple hours in an X game is NOTHING) flying around trying to figure things out and why did i jtu exploded after exiting a gate (stupid game AI made AI hauler ram me in the back, woot woot) and it took some figuring out why does hull damage slow me down. BUt once i got there i figured out how the game worked (though admitedly i dont suggest googling much, pretty much every resource except Egosoft forums are kinda useless) and now i got over 100 hours in and enjoying it. The default key assigning is kinda shitty though and it sucks that i cant move the camera around without moving the ship but its small things to forgive. Id say X3 is where you do start. I never really understood the whole learning curve problem with this game. yeah it doesnt spoonfeed you everything, but its not like its spceship science or anything.

canadamus_prime:
Which is another thing that saddens me. Why do we just roll over and accept this?

Because at the end of the day all gamers care about is new shiny toy every 2 weeks (study in UK found that on average a gamer goes though a game every 2 weeks).

Karadalis:

Also Cap ships are a joke now since even with your unupgraded ship you can take them out... thats not exactly something i expect when i think of "capital ship"

Remmeber the starting buster on X3:R? I took on a argon capital ship with that thing, and lasted for like 30 minutes (though its low power meant i cant fire guns all the time, damn you lack power in these games). Thats because the AI was just spamming guns from all ports never hitting me. If i had big enough guns i would have won the fight. Eventually by pure chance i happen to fly right over a gun port when it fired and insta-death.

Haven't really encountered any bugs or crashes yet. I'm just hoping I can buy a capital ship and arm it with the best weapons and fighters.

Candidus:

Like being able to choose from a vast number of ships*.

Able to chose yes, but according to what I have heard there was always a small group of "best choice" ships, and using anything else was kneecaping yourself for no reason other than to chalenge yourself. I don't see whats wrong with starting us in a decent ship when most people were just going to rush a M3+ anyways.

Why? So their unwelcome co-pilot can annoy you with something other than "NO SHUT UP BETTY".

Maybe I'm just odd, but that never annoyed me anymore than "The ARghun federation welcomes you!" every time I dock with a station in X3

Ahem, anyway... Like trading that consists of actual exploration and study rather than spoon-fed price comparisons with a system-wide average that you don't even have to work out on your own!

You mean I don't have to spend several hours docking with stations and wring down prices until I have amassed a small fortune and can actually buy the damn trade software? *shockhorror*

Like the massive reduction in scale-- do you know why people loved time acceleration? It wasn't to accelerate trade OR travel.

I loved how it finaly created a game where there is so much down time I can actually use the gaps to write a paper for school (and I got B, so apparently the game wasn't effecting my concentration much)

In my opinion, X Rebirth is X for ADHD suffering children who couldn't take the slow burn that the series has `always` been about.

Thanks for the insult. I keep them all in a little jar on shelf and occasionally laugh at them. But anyway one man's "slow burn" is another man's "I just spent ten minutes flying in a straight line with SETA and not interacting with the game at all, only to find the conflict I was investigating has ended leaving me with nothing but a longass trek back to a gatefuckthisimmaplayfreespace"

What's really annoying is that the press and community seems to have entirely overlooked the fact that Egosoft has went the 2K route and made a bunch of eastern countries part of Ru and CIS.

I understand those may be assigned by the MRP to russian 1C publishers, but there was barely any note on the steam page.

Agayek:

AdagioBoognish:

Sweet, thanks for the heads up.

Kinda sad to see this given how badly I wanted this to succeed, but then just about every X game seems to need a few months of fixes & mods to hit its prime.

Strazdas:
it sucks that i cant move the camera around without moving the ship but its small things to forgive.

You actually can move the camera independently. Use the numpad (8462 to look around, 1 & 3 tilt the camera if you have it in 3rd person, 5 to reset the camera)

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here