X Rebirth Studio Boss Apologizes For Buggy Launch

Pages PREV 1 2

Strazdas:

canadamus_prime:
Which is another thing that saddens me. Why do we just roll over and accept this?

Because at the end of the day all gamers care about is new shiny toy every 2 weeks (study in UK found that on average a gamer goes though a game every 2 weeks).

Yes, I believe that's called instant gratification. No regard for the long term effects or what your giving up for the sake of that shiny new toy.

It's always a sad day to see such a good looking game turn out to be such shite.

I was looking forward to this game, but somehow I knew this would happen. If the trailer looks too good to be true and there's no demo and no previews...

But really the trailer says it all. Basically it's pretending to be Star Citizen, but there's no way a dedicated, but amateurish developer like Egosoft could pull off something on that scale.

Maybe in a few months it will be something playable. But I still think it's a very undue move by Egosoft to deceive fans with such an awesome trailer when they must be very aware of the products' problems.

Maybe I'm being too harsh. I didn't buy or play it myself, but the opinion on the street seems to be almost universally unfavorable.

Was really very close to buying this day 1, glad I didn't. Looks like I'm waiting for a steam sale!

Tiamat666:
Basically it's pretending to be Star Citizen, but there's no way a dedicated, but amateurish developer like Egosoft could pull off something on that scale.

One, Egosoft had already pulled off what is referred to as "single-player Eve Online" with their previous X series. So "amateurish" is debatable given their past achievements. Maybe you're just referring to the size of the Egosoft studio? Even then, "small" is hardly synonymous with "poor" or "unskilled".

Two, at this point in time, Star Citizen is just pretending to be Star Citizen. At least X: Rebirth contains some, albeit flawed, gameplay.

MinionJoe:

Tiamat666:
Basically it's pretending to be Star Citizen, but there's no way a dedicated, but amateurish developer like Egosoft could pull off something on that scale.

One, Egosoft had already pulled off what is referred to as "single-player Eve Online" with their previous X series. So "amateurish" is debatable given their past achievements. Maybe you're just referring to the size of the Egosoft studio? Even then, "small" is hardly synonymous with "poor" or "unskilled".

Two, at this point in time, Star Citizen is just pretending to be Star Citizen. At least X: Rebirth contains some, albeit flawed, gameplay.

Egosoft is amateurish in the sense that they don't have a good writer, they don't have a good character modeler, they don't have good artists and they don't have a good interface designer. They have been creating a serviceable sandbox space sim for over a decade now, which is why they are dedicated (decadated? heh) and they certainly seem to have competent developers. But as I see it, many positions at Egosoft are filled by amateurs.

I mean, you have to at least agree that the quality of the writing and the character portraits of X are abysmal, even by indie standards.

And just for the record. I like Egosoft. I like every company that even bothers to create a space sim. I really want them to succeed.

I'd like to see an episode of The Jimquisition that lists all the most anticipated titles released this year and compares it to a list of the ones that worked on launch day without requiring emergency patching.

You know, its funny, were this game part of a franchise (ala Aliens: Colonial Marines) this would be an even bigger disaster, as its the exact same thing that went on with that title.

Desert Punk:
The bugs can be fixed, the really really shitty core design flaws are a lot harder to fix, and would require nearly a rewrite of the whole game.

But then again, we really shouldnt expect much from a game that has been proven to be made for consoles, then was quickly jury rigged to work on PC.

Luckily Steam has been giving out refunds on the game.

How might I go about getting a refund? I haven't been able to as of yet.

Navvan:

Desert Punk:
The bugs can be fixed, the really really shitty core design flaws are a lot harder to fix, and would require nearly a rewrite of the whole game.

But then again, we really shouldnt expect much from a game that has been proven to be made for consoles, then was quickly jury rigged to work on PC.

Luckily Steam has been giving out refunds on the game.

How might I go about getting a refund? I haven't been able to as of yet.

Contact Steam customer service, point out that the game lied about features, and was a buggy mess, and that you want your money back.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here