Xbox One Sells a Million Units In 24 Hours

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Xbox One Sells a Million Units In 24 Hours

The Xbox One had just as a successful launch as the PlayStation 4.

When Microsoft announced that it would struggle to meet Xbox One demand, people all around the internet scoffed. Surely, with all the negative press the console has received, there wouldn't be any supply issues? However, Microsoft has just announced that the Xbox One has sold over 1 million units in just 24 hours, selling out in most retail locations and matching the figure Sony announced for its own PlayStation 4 launch. It's worth noting that the Xbox figure is for the 13 worldwide markets it launched in, while the PlayStation figure is specifically for North America.

The team confirmed the launch of Xbox One was the biggest launch in Xbox history, besting the Xbox 360 by a considerable margin. "We are working to replenish stock as fast as possible to meet the unprecedented demand from our customers," said Microsoft in an official statement.

Microsoft has also used the "online" nature of the box to collect some interesting launch-day statistics. In the last 24 hours:

• Over 60 million zombies have been killed in "Dead Rising 3"
  • Over 3.6 million miles driven in "Forza Motorsport 5"
  • Over 7.1 million combos in "Killer Instinct"
  • Over 8.5 million enemies defeated in "Ryse: Son of Rome"

"We are humbled and grateful for the excitement of Xbox fans around the world," said Yusuf Mehdi, Corporate Vice President of Marketing and Strategy, Xbox. "Seeing thousands of excited fans lined up to get their Xbox One and their love for gaming was truly a special moment for everyone on the Xbox team. We are working hard to create more Xbox One consoles and look forward to fulfilling holiday gift wishes this season."

Source: Xbox Wire

Please be a falsified figure. Please be PR speak. Please be blatant lies. Please be anything other than the truth. After all the horrible, stupid, anti-consumer stuff MS has said and done, how could they have day-one sales like this?!

Isnt the world in recession or something?

Gearhead mk2:
Please be a falsified figure. Please be PR speak. Please be blatant lies. Please be anything other than the truth. After all the horrible, stupid, anti-consumer stuff MS has said and done, how could they have day-one sales like this?!

Because not everyone reads gaming sites.

In fact... as unfortunate as it is, we're the minority.

Good for Microsoft. I can't say whether this means the Xbox One is as good as the PS4, because I haven't played either. But after seeing Microsoft get blasted for farting at the wrong time (or the gamer equivalent of such), it's actually not that upsetting to see them pull it off.

Now, to prepare for the onslaught of posters complaining about "uninformed masses", "sheeple", and so on.

Edited: I'm not saying that people are wrong for feeling upset, or that my way is the only right way to feel. I just thought I'd provide a bit of positivity to what I suspect will be a very negative response towards Microsoft's success.

my questions is

since the PS4 is only in North America.
Is this Xbox figure in North America alone or in all the countries it launched in?

chippa6:
my questions is

Is this Xbox figure in North America alone or in all the countries it launched in?

Good catch! No, seriously, good catch. I looked it up, and it appears that is 1 million worldwide, which means the Xbox One, despite launching in several more countries, only managed to tie the North American launch for the PS4. I think that makes the PS4 the more successful of the two by a fair margin, personally.

chippa6:
my questions is

Pretty sure this is all the countries it launched in, considering that the PS4 isn't even available in Europe (only released in North America/Canada) The PS4 numbers are guaranteed to shoot past the million it sold on launch.

chippa6:
my questions is

It says in the article that it's across all 13 countries it was sold in. That's about 76,924 units per country.

chippa6:
my questions is

It's World Wide (Which is N. America, like Half of Europe, Australia and New Zealand). My guess is the XBox One sold 600,000 in USA, 300,000 in the European Countries, and then 100,000 from Australia+New Zealand.

Still, considering only Two consoles have done 1 Million in the First day (PS4 and XBone), you can't deny that they did do something good. Of course, the XBone is a loser compared to the PS4, but it still did the same number, even if it had to do it in more places.

1 million worldwide vs 1 million in NA only.

Can't wait to see total PS4 sales numbers.

It disappoints me that so many people are either oblivious to Microsoft's ass hattery, or are very quick to forgive and forget when billion dollar companies betray consumer trust.

Well, at the very least my brother in law has been talked out of getting one any time soon, so score one for good sense.

Whyyy?

But really, I am not surprised. I knew it would do okay for itself to begin with. My question is, can it sustain popularity with its game line-up and console functionality? I don't see it selling well for any length of time like the 360 managed to do, but I do see people buying Playstation4s for several years at least.

PS4 out in UK/EU on 29th so we'll see how it goes there, as I think it'll be mind blowing as in the retail store that i might work in has more ps4 pre-orders than xbones, if thats a patterned then god knows how much cash sony is about to make?

Steven Bogos:

The Xbox One had just as a successful launch as the PlayStation 4.

Not necessarily. The PS4 had the biggest console launch in US history and sold 1 million in 2 countries. The Xbox One sold as many in 13 countries. I'd have to say that the PS4's launches in other countries will probably be higher than the Xbox One considering the PS brand usually beats out the Xbox brand in pretty much every region that's not in North America.

The PS4 having more consoles sold in North America overall is interesting. The US sided heavily with the 360 last gen. This flip means that the bad marketing did have a decent effect on MS. They failed to convey their 180s to the gamers who don't follow gaming news.

Gearhead mk2:

Relax. For one the Xbox One reversed all of the major points against it. Secondly, this is the PS4s North American sales vs the Xbox One's sales in 13 countries.

The Xbox one's NA sales number is probably going to be pretty low in comparison.

And so, starts the Console Wars of our time. Prepare yourselves, for Winter is here.

AzrealMaximillion:

Gearhead mk2:

Relax. For one the Xbox One reversed all of the major points against it. Secondly, this is the PS4s North American sales vs the Xbox One's sales in 13 countries.

The Xbox one's NA sales number is probably going to be pretty low in comparison.

Here's the thing with reversing all of the negatives it had with it. If they could have released the system like that to begin with, none of it was "required" which means they could just as easily bring it back after the Xbox One has been sold to public. I can see it now, they change things gradually until it's too late, you're already invested in the system. You have games for it, you have saves on it. I can easily see them go right back to what they originally said what the Xbox One was "required" to do.

Which is why when the time comes, I'm getting a PS4.

I'm disappointed. I wanted to see this thing crash and burn.

canadamus_prime:

They had to make SOME business. Not everyone reads the news, sites, blogs, etc.

Now, we get to see what a million people THINK of the machine, a true test of its mettle.

Gearhead mk2:

Because consumers, especially game consumers, are also anti-consumer.

They just want new shinies.

FalloutJack:

canadamus_prime:

They had to make SOME business. Not everyone reads the news, sites, blogs, etc.

Now, we get to see what a million people THINK of the machine, a true test of its mettle.

Yeah I know. There will always be those idiots who'll gladly take a spiky pole up the ass as long as they get to play Call of Duty or Kill Zone or whatever. I was just kinda hoping that there'd be enough people out there willing to put aside their instant gratification in order to stick it to Microsoft.

what I'd want to know is how many % of those Xbones are defective? and yeah, they had to add the sales of 13 countries to match PS4 sales

I honestly would have been more surprised if it didn't do just as well. Most people hold the systems themselves in equal regard. I mean, if I were looking at which one to buy based on launch lineup... Xbone would have have gotten my money, if for no other reason than I would love to play Dead Rising 3. Don't get me wrong, I would have loved to see this thing crash and burn as much as the next guy because of all that PR bullshit they pulled. A part of me always knew that would never happen though.

Baresark:
I honestly would have been more surprised if it didn't do just as well. Most people hold the systems themselves in equal regard. I mean, if I were looking at which one to buy based on launch lineup... Xbone would have have gotten my money, if for no other reason than I would love to play Dead Rising 3. Don't get me wrong, I would have loved to see this thing crash and burn as much as the next guy because of all that PR bullshit they pulled. A part of me always knew that would never happen though.

Wait, why do we want it to crash and burn again?

I get that their policies when Xbox One was first announced were pretty undesirable, but from what I can tell they've changed most of them at this point.

Quantum Glass:

Baresark:

I get that their policies when Xbox One was first announced were pretty undesirable, but from what I can tell they've changed most of them at this point.

I'm with you. A small imp in my brain wants to see the destruction of companies that are that douchey... but then again, they did change their policies. I'm kind of over it. As I said: when it comes to launch of either system based on games, I would have bought an XBox One.

Quantum Glass:

Baresark:

It's the principle! They hurt my feelings and I want them to fail! It's mainly things like that. It's in part because of the DRM thing, but it's also because of the way they acted towards those who didn't like it. Telling people who were concerned abot the DRM to buy an Xbox 360, saying people who don't have a stable internet connection to "deal with it", the refusal to confirm any details. Personally I want this console to be successful, but their PR has turned me off getting it for myself.

OT: Oh, so my prediction that they would do well seems to be more accurate than all those saying it would crash and burn. I'm quite happy to see it selling this much if only to shut those people up.

There was about 20 people at the midnight launch I went to and most of those people got there within the last half an hour until midnight. I think it's good that people are buying it, it means more games and hopefully better games for all of us.

I'm also loving my xbox one so far, the kinect controls are a little iffy at the moment but still functional and everything else seems to be working properly. It will just take some time to get used to the different layout and controls.

Frankly I'm impressed with some of the things I'm seeing Microsoft doing with the xbox1. I think many casual guys that watch lots of sports will really enjoy having an xbox1. Being a gamer in my 30's I'm seeing friends entering their 40's that just aren't hardcore any more but still enjoy the odd game I think this group will be along with a younger and causal crowd will enjoy the xbox1.

thebobmaster:

chippa6:
my questions is

Good catch! No, seriously, good catch. I looked it up, and it appears that is 1 million worldwide, which means the Xbox One, despite launching in several more countries, only managed to tie the North American launch for the PS4. I think that makes the PS4 the more successful of the two by a fair margin, personally.

Thank you sir for the info. I tip my hat to you.

Gearhead mk2:

Easy, by having what is, at the end of the day, a product that is not overly dissimilar from its competition.

Eh, looks like both companies will be selling as many as they can build for a little while. It'll be more interesting to get same-market comparisons a year from now.

That doesn't surprise me. The internet is often very loud, and can become very one-sided on certain issues, but I've seen it countless times where it turns out that the world outside of the internet doesn't, surprisingly, follow the same thinking as the internet. I know a lot of people who were super excited for the Xbox One launch, and with something this big, there was no way that everyone shared the same feelings as the apparent majority of people shouting on the internet.

I'm personally still waiting for either system to have a game library I'm excited to play before getting either one.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here