Microsoft Gives Free Games to Owners of Faulty Xbox Ones

Microsoft Gives Free Games to Owners of Faulty Xbox Ones

xbox one image

Microsoft's next-gen console didn't have a perfect launch, but anyone who received defective hardware can expect a replacement and a complimentary game of their choice.

For some Xbox fans, the Xbox One launch became very disappointing when they unboxed the console and discovered that it wouldn't play games. A number of customers reported that the system's disc drive was defective, and couldn't be used to play games. It happens - the first batch of new hardware is always risky - and those customers are waiting for a replacement unit from Microsoft. However, as an apology, Microsoft is also granting anyone with a faulty console a free Xbox One game from a selection of downloadable titles.

Customers with bad hardware can choose between Dead Rising 3, Forza Motorsport 5, Ryse: Son of Rome, or Zoo Tycoon. The game is provided as a free digital download, so if the customer uses Microsoft's Advance Exchange program (where they can keep the old console until the replacement unit arrives), they can download and play the complimentary game even without a functioning disc drive.

"While a replacement console is on its way, we want to ensure our advance exchange customers can stay in the game," says a statement from Microsoft. "We will provide each of them with a free digital download of one of the launch titles published by Microsoft Studios."

The digital handouts are a nifty way to circumvent this particular hardware error while giving unlucky customers something to do with their console while they wait for the replacement - one more perk of living in the future.

Source: Polygon

Okay, that's a pretty good move on Microsoft's part, I have to admit. While I doubt they're doing it for any other reason that not wanting to have another Red Ring of Death hanging around their necks (even if so far the failures are far, far lower than with the 360), it's still nice to hear. I could be cynical and say that with only those four games, most Xbone owners probably have any and all of the games out of those that they want (and I'd much prefer a physical copy...even if it took longer to arrive), that's how you respond to a screw up. I hope Sony does the same for the people whose PS4s have keeled over.

Now THAT is good customer service, good to see not everyone has forgotten it. Keep it up Microsoft and I may get one before the system hits rock bottom price. Nice to see some good marketing/service from MS, it's been too long.

Clever idea and a very good move on their part.

LysanderNemoinis:
I could be cynical and say that with only those four games, most Xbone owners probably have any and all of the games out of those that they want (and I'd much prefer a physical copy...even if it took longer to arrive)

Perhaps but then it just means they can play the game they bought without to much hinderence while they wait. Not quite as neat as getting a free extra game but if nothing else means you have some fodder to put towards a launch window title (titanfall maybe?) without having to lose the game -shrug- still a decent value for having to wait out a glitchy xbox I'de think.

What is this nonsense? Microsoft managed to do something in the field of public relations and not screw it up? Are they feeling okay? What happened to the regular employees? Are they sick? Someone check the hospitals! Something must be wrong with Microsoft's PR department. They aren't insulting or missing the point. Doesn't anyone care!?

In all seriousness, I applaud this move. It's probably the first entirely positive thing they've done. Arguably, it was preceded by hardware failures, but we gotta take what we can get.

Still not buying a Xbox One, though.

In some ways a classy move by MS. Although the evil pessimist in me takes this as an alarming sign that the XBox quality issues are most likely worse then we have been imagining, and may be nearing XB360 levels. MS would not be publicly making this move for defective systems that are within the normal expected range. It would call more attention to a minor problem. That they are doing this publicly means they perceive something serious.

That's great and all, definitely a positive step for Microsoft. However I have to ask, wouldn't Microsoft have saved a hell of a lot of money if they'd just made sure the units worked in the first place?

canadamus_prime:
That's great and all, definitely a positive step for Microsoft. However I have to ask, wouldn't Microsoft have saved a hell of a lot of money if they'd just made sure the units worked in the first place?

Not likely, diminishing returns is a very real factor when dealing with any form of software/hardware testing. As with most companies, they already likely spend a significant amount of time already catching the majority of defects. Beyond that point, they'd still be spending significant amounts of time, but the rate at which you uncover defects drops drastically.

At some point, either you release and take the hit knowing that some percentage of units will fail (and this is without considering damages caused by the shipping process), or spend ludicrous amounts of additional time and resources for a minor improvement through exhaustive testing.

Sucks that way, but that's the way it goes and it the only practical way to play it. In this case, it is so far looking perfectly fine and within a reasonable level of defect rates. Points like the one you have made are only applicable when numbers start approaching 360 RROD levels indicating quality control was severely lacking.

Who uses discs these days anyway? I know there's all the fuss over consoles being online, but I think if you have a PS4 or Xbone there is a pretty damn good chance you have the internet and thus, can go digital. Kind of like PC is at LEAST 90% digital now.

It's good to see that MS have completely fired all their E3 era PR staff.

AldUK:
Who uses discs these days anyway? I know there's all the fuss over consoles being online, but I think if you have a PS4 or Xbone there is a pretty damn good chance you have the internet and thus, can go digital. Kind of like PC is at LEAST 90% digital now.

I do. The only time I ever buy a game digitally is if there's no other way I can get it. I mean, I know that it's becoming less and less for servers to go down completely and/or lose all their data, but what if it happens? What if you delete a game from your system and Microsoft's or Sony's servers go kablooey -- you're screwed. There goes your download list and all the records of your purchases. Same with PCs. Plus, your harddrive goes down, unless you have a backup, once again...screwed. But you'll still have the game on a disc.

While a minor example, I have The Godfather for the PS3 and long ago bought DLC for it after beating the game. For various reasons I didn't play the game right away and years later suffered a Yellow Light of Death. When I went to go redownload the DLC, it was gone. Utterly, completely gone. Not on the Store, nor available anywhere, EA just removed it from existence. So that's five bucks down the drain that I never got to enjoy and never will. Now I know that people will just hop on the EA hate train, but all it takes is some guy asleep at the switch or some glitch, or just someone deciding not to carry a downloadable item, and that's that -- your games or add-ons are gone. And there's not a damn thing you can do about it.

AldUK:

I do, honestly the only times I buy digital is Pc, and that's only for games under $20, maybe $30 if it's a niche game. Only console games I have digital are PS+ games, and I don't consider them permanent.
If I have to pay $80-$100 (Australia) then it must be physical so that I get my moneys worth. Digital has no value, and so I spend accordingly.

Saltyk:
What is this nonsense? Microsoft managed to do something in the field of public relations and not screw it up? Are they feeling okay? What happened to the regular employees? Are they sick? Someone check the hospitals! Something must be wrong with Microsoft's PR department. They aren't insulting or missing the point. Doesn't anyone care!?

I'm certain they'll find a way to perform 3 bad moves in the gaming sphere before they attempt their next good one.

I'm betting on an anti-homosexual Freudian slip at their next press release.
Laying off of several staff members just before Christmas.
...and the XBone being hacked from an internal source with credit cards being charged without customers permission.

That being said this is a great move by Microsoft and goes beyond just refunding folks. Good show, make it a habit.

I had the non-working optical drive issue with mine and was able to get forza 5 for free so I was content. well that and I just bought a few online titles to tide me over till my replacement arrives tomorrow. Certainly a nice touch. Of course this morning I watched that youtube video where a guy was able to fix his non-working optical drive. May try it for kicks and see if it works.

AldUK:

Shit does happen. Last week my landlord had to fix the intercom to my building. It made my internet go from high speed to 111 kps (along with everyone else in the building who has phone line internet). My neighbor bought an Xbone at launch. His internet isn't getting fixed til today. He couldn't even D/L the patch for COD let alone a full game

LysanderNemoinis:
snip

I have lost far more physical copies of games then I ever have or likely will digital ones. Either from my disc drive screwing up, losing them while moving houses or something or just carelessness. There are far more safeguards for your digital games then is practical to have for your physical ones.

Anyway, on topic, it was a nice gesture from Microsoft. At the very least it focuses on games rather than the media centers consoles seem to be becoming. I would have been annoyed if they gave out movie vouchers or something for Netflix. Well as annoyed as people giving free stuff out can make me.

Good move. People are still going to find reasons to complain because what MS totally should have done is test each unit individually to make sure none were faulty.

That's good.

Trippy Turtle:

LysanderNemoinis:
snip

I have lost far more physical copies of games then I ever have or likely will digital ones. Either from my disc drive screwing up, losing them while moving houses or something or just carelessness. There are far more safeguards for your digital games then is practical to have for your physical ones.

Anyway, on topic, it was a nice gesture from Microsoft. At the very least it focuses on games rather than the media centers consoles seem to be becoming. I would have been annoyed if they gave out movie vouchers or something for Netflix. Well as annoyed as people giving free stuff out can make me.

Then learn to take care of your property, I've got every one of my games, from my first on PSX (V-Rally and Abe's Odysse) to my PS3/Xbox 360 collection. I have no issues with digital as a cheap option, it's the fact the industry wants to force it.

AldUK:

To fill up your inbox more, I will say that I use discs still. Hell I mainly go out of my way to buy a physical copy of a game rather than a digital one.
I like to have it with me and I like the artwork and manuals. Plus I know that if it is scratched to hell or missing then it's more or else my fault because I couldn't take care of my games.
Digital is a nice thing, but for many they don't have the best internet when downloading things. Heck, until recently it would take me 26 hours just to download a single 5 GB game on Steam, now it only takes me about 4.

Actually, people might find a way to abuse this by deliberately messing up their system and then calling up Microsoft to have it replaced. So they'll get a console AND a free game. As to how one can mess up an X1 without making it look like it was done on purpose, I have no idea.

RicoADF:

Then learn to take care of your property, I've got every one of my games, from my first on PSX (V-Rally and Abe's Odysse) to my PS3/Xbox 360 collection. I have no issues with digital as a cheap option, it's the fact the industry wants to force it.

So you have never had the issue of a disc drive screwing up and maiming your disc or anything similar? You are either extremely lucky or I am extremely unlucky. The only disc that doesn't work due to me not taking care of it is my original age of empires disc which never came with a case.
As for the industry forcing it, I don't see why they shouldn't try to force something that is an improvement in most ways.

Trippy Turtle:

So you have never had the issue of a disc drive screwing up and maiming your disc or anything similar? You are either extremely lucky or I am extremely unlucky. The only disc that doesn't work due to me not taking care of it is my original age of empires disc which never came with a case.
As for the industry forcing it, I don't see why they shouldn't try to force something that is an improvement in most ways.

No I have never had a disc fail/die/whatever on me.
An improvement ay? All digital is nothing but downsides the only improvement is cost, and that's thanks to steam's 75% off sales. With all digital once the servers are turned off (and with a console they will be, just look at the original xbox), your now stuffed, at least with physical my games last as long as I take care of them. Also don't be so foolish to think the industry is trying to do this to improve it for the customer, they are doing it so they can switch off your games when they don't want to support them, Microsoft admitted themselves that anyone who wants to play older games are 'backwards' and they don't care about supporting them. No medium in the history of mankind has ever been at the mercy of the publishers like Microsoft wanted to set games, and no medium has ever been so eager to kill off it's history like the big name publishers of today just so they can make a quick sale on next years edition.

Microsoft giving free games? what sorcery is this?
<looks at the offered games>
Uh, i see now....

Trippy Turtle:

LysanderNemoinis:
snip

I have never lost a physical game but i lose a digital one once. Then again, i would have lost more digital ones, but i make my own backups into physical disc. And yes i know im overdoing it when i backup a game from steam into a DVD.

Trippy Turtle:

Once, around 15 years ago, the drive crashed. The disc still worked in another drive, though there was soem damage (not beyond readability).
You sould extremely unlucky. The only discs i heard of fallnig apart are ones that are broken by the time you put them in (and its easy to not notice it and make confeti out of your drive). Discs do have "rot" from time though. the cheaper made ones sometimes refuse to work after a decade or so, like my GTA3 CD2. but then, i dont remember last time i needed it.

They should not force. they should show the benefits (steam does it, rest do not) and give people a choice. If its truly as beneficial as you say, the audience will switch over by themselves, like they did to DVDs from VHS.

RicoADF:

Trippy Turtle:

No I have never had a disc fail/die/whatever on me.
An improvement ay? All digital is nothing but downsides the only improvement is cost, and that's thanks to steam's 75% off sales. With all digital once the servers are turned off (and with a console they will be, just look at the original xbox), your now stuffed, at least with physical my games last as long as I take care of them. Also don't be so foolish to think the industry is trying to do this to improve it for the customer, they are doing it so they can switch off your games when they don't want to support them, Microsoft admitted themselves that anyone who wants to play older games are 'backwards' and they don't care about supporting them. No medium in the history of mankind has ever been at the mercy of the publishers like Microsoft wanted to set games, and no medium has ever been so eager to kill off it's history like the big name publishers of today just so they can make a quick sale on next years edition.

It will take quite a lot to convince me that not having to leave the house, not needing to find space for discs, never being sold out and being safe from scratches are downsides. Feel free to try though.

Steam is the only one I can think of that requires an internet connection to play after the first download, unless you are counting multiplayer. But the same goes for a physical copy there. I don't know about PSN but I can play my downloaded Fable 3 on Xbox just fine without an internet connection.

Microsoft said that in response to no backwards compatibility for DISCS in the new console. There are downloadable versions of old games.

So your argument seems to boil down to: Digital is worse than physical despite being cheaper, safer from damage and more convenient because its a good thing for big bad Microsoft who seeks to control our games?

The only thing I can think of you might be trying to say but not really getting it across is that you can't continue to download games for a console once they stop supporting it? Well they stop making dics eventually too, good luck finding a Gamecube game in a shop these days.

Trippy Turtle:

The only thing I can think of you might be trying to say but not really getting it across is that you can't continue to download games for a console once they stop supporting it? Well they stop making dics eventually too, good luck finding a Gamecube game in a shop these days.

Basically this, the difference being that my CD's will continue to work long after servers are down where as the digital copy will be gone if you uninstall or replace the hard drive (which is the part most at risk of failure in a computer/console). Also you can't have a collection of digital games, I have all my physical games on shelves that I like to own and collect, digital games have no value (either financially or personally/emotionally), which is fine on steam at $10-20 but for a new game at $80 I expect a physical copy with my money's worth.
As for your pros for digital:

"Not having to leave the house" - besides that just being laziness, you can buy games online and have them shipped. I prefer to get my games from stores near where I work so convenience isn't an issue for me.

"not needing to find space for discs" - for me having the physical item is the advantage, I like having something physical for the money I pay, I like having my collection of games that I can see and physically handle, the list on steam doesn't have the same "money well spent" feeling. This is subjective though.

"never being sold out" - As with the first point, with online stores and ebay there is literally no game you cannot get, even in new condition, I picked up 'Corsairs' a few months ago, a 90's game I once played the demo of but was not able to get as a kid, off ebay in new condition without any effort. That aside just any game in the current and previous generation will be quite accessable.

"being safe from scratches" - Well I already said this isn't an issue, at least I haven't and neither has Strazdas, if you put your discs back into their case and onto the shelf (and keep them out of the sun light) they won't die on you. Your more likely to lose a digital game to servers being turned off and your hard drive failing than a CD keeling over, and if your paranoid then just make a backup of your disc, it's legal (atleast here in Australia) to make 1 personal backup.

I'm not saying digital is bad or that I hate it, I have 600 games on steam and many more on GoG/Gamersgate etc so I can't hate digital, what I do hate is this stupid attitude of "digital is the future everyone MUST go 100% digital or get lost" attitude that the industry and some of the community have, there is literally NO excuse why a game can't be digital and physical as they already are then it gives choice to the players weather they want a library of cheap and convenient but risky digital, a more expensive but safer physical or a mixture (as I have done). The industry wants it digital so they can charge the same amount but save in the production so they have a higher profit margin.

Regarding the turning off the servers killing your games, I was refering to what Microsoft had setup for XBO originally and what they say they still have as their vision for the future, where they would turn off the servers and the console would be bricked since it was going to require a server connect once a day to play games. I will agree using a disk to play previous gen games on the XBO is a good idea, and PS4 also does this (both are limited to certain games that publishers choose).

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here