Submit Your Bracket Prediction - Reader's Choice Game of the Year 2013

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Submit Your Bracket Prediction - Reader's Choice Game of the Year 2013

readers choice goty2013 3x3

Your favorite video games of 2013 go head-to-head in a 16 member tournament, and you can predict the outcome to win a year of Publisher's Club.

The floodgates are now open! We've settled on the final 16 games for the competition - 15 were picked by The Escapist editors plus a little indie darling snagged the last spot as voted by the members of our Publisher's Club. There were some hard decisions to make, but we think we have a pretty good list of the best games of the year. I'm sure you will all begin to argue about which game deserves the mantle as the The Escapist Reader's Choice Game of the Year 2013 - and you can do so at the dedicated forum here - but there's a way for you to prove your predictions.

Submit your brackets for The Escapist Reader's Choice Game of the Year 2013 right here.

You have to sign in to your account at The Escapist - if you don't have an account, don't worry. You can register for free here or login with Facebook. It's pretty easy.

Filling out your bracket is pretty easy too. Check out the 16 games in the bracket and click on a matchup. You'll be brought to a page which shows both games head-to-head, along with some related content in case you aren't familiar with the title and you want to study up before making a decision. Click on the one you think the community will vote for. A link will pop up telling you to go to the next battle. Rinse, repeat.

Actual voting on these matchups opens on December 4th and the whole community will have a chance to vote purely on what game they think is more deserving of the Game of the Year mantle. Once the first round of voting is complete, we'll score your brackets and place users in the official leaderboard here. At the end of the event, when The Escapist Reader's Choice Game of the Year 2013 is finally announced on January 1st, we'll tally up the bracket scores and give the top ten submissions a year of Publisher's Club for free. Already a member? Well, you'll get ANOTHER year you can keep for yourself or give to a friend.

More detailed instructions on how to participate can be found here.

The deadline to submit your bracket is December 3rd at 11:59 pm EST. Get your predictions in before the deadline to be eligible for a chance at winning Publishers Club.

Good luck!

May the best prognosticators of The Escapist community reign supreme and may the best game of 2013 win The Escapist Reader's Choice Game of the Year!

I must say last year was way more difficult when it comes to decisions.

Already voted.

You just had to put Assassin's Creed 4 up against Saints Row 4, and then GTA V if it wins (no, Dead Rising 3 isn't going to beat GTA), didn't you?! Come on, give the best of the year an actual chance, will ya!?

I am deeply disappointed by the utter lack of public shaming for those who voted for Colonial marines thus far.

My head tells me that GTAV is going to win based on making all of the money in existence

But my heart tells me to vote for what I want to win...

I'm sorry brain but my heart has to win here. XCOM:EW V The Last of Us it is (with LoU winning of course). XCOM was my second choice last year and Enemy Within just builds on that and The Last of Us is quite possibly my favorite game period, let alone my favorite game of 2013.

Though to be fair, I haven't PLAYED any other game besides those two due to the lack of funding...

SkarKrow:
I am deeply disappointed by the utter lack of public shaming for those who voted for Colonial marines thus far.

I know what ya mean, what a disappointment, where is our shaming praising for voting for the best game!

TizzytheTormentor:

SkarKrow:

I know what ya mean, what a disappointment, where is our shaming praising for voting for the best game!

I'm disgusted by those bastards lack of public shame!

Clearly they voted for the objectively best game and should be punished for it!

SkarKrow:

TizzytheTormentor:

SkarKrow:

That's right! We were promised shaming and yet there is no shaming...

Makes me sick o my stomach...

SkarKrow:

TizzytheTormentor:

SkarKrow:

Perhaps more goading of the staff is required. We could try waggling our genitals at them.

No?

TizzytheTormentor:

SkarKrow:

TizzytheTormentor:

That's right! We were promised shaming and yet there is no shaming...

Makes me sick o my stomach...

You and me both pal, I am extremely disappointed in the staff for not branding us evil ina news post or something.

Teoes:

SkarKrow:

TizzytheTormentor:

Perhaps more goading of the staff is required. We could try waggling our genitals at them.

No?

That escalated quickly :D

And that's open to most countries such as the U.K., Canada, Australia and New Zealand, not restricted just to the U.S.

The Five Eyes really aren't "most countries", folks.

Dead Rising 3 vs GTA V. Totally perplexing moral choices here.

Sadly, Bioshock Infinite is the only game I was actually impressed with on this bracket...everything else was kind of....meh...

Have a strong feeling about Last of Us making it to first place, if not second or third. The game itself is amazing overall.

Besides that...

OT: W00T!! Filled my bracket out, read the rules, gave feedback... now to await the day of voting. It's going to be super fun- or kind of sad if people can't behave themselves. Seriously, the staff doesn't HAVE to do us these favors with fun events, but they're trusting us. Let's show them that we can be civil about competitions, shall we?

... Please?

Has to be The Last Of Us, that was easily the best game this year. My own personal final was Starcraft 2: Heart of the Swarm vs The Last Of Us, but I know Starcraft isn't popular at The Escapist because of the console bias.

Saints Row 4 won for me, it just came down to which game I had more fun with, Bioshock Infinite was the runner up.

SkarKrow:

I am too, this lack of shaming risks letting us think we can get away anything and that undermines the staff's authority. The only way to restore order must be a shaming so humiliating that legends will be told of it in future Game of the Year competitions. Come on staff, let it begin!

JoJo:

SkarKrow:

I am too, this lack of shaming risks letting us think we can get away anything and that undermines the staff's authority. The only way to restore order must be a shaming so humiliating that legends will be told of it in future Game of the Year competitions. Come on staff, let it begin!

But that's because we can get away with anything so long as we don't make low content posts like "LOL I AGREE" when we quote other users. Or call people nasty names like "cuntbiscuit" or "twaddlepisser".

I was at least expecting all our avatars to be set to a xenomorph for a day or something.

I've went half head/half heart here.

I have Bioshock Infinite to trump GTA V in the final, and Papers, Please got all the way to round 3.

And my personal 16 would have half that list replaced.

SkarKrow:

JoJo:

SkarKrow:

But that's because we can get away with anything so long as we don't make low content posts like "LOL I AGREE" when we quote other users. Or call people nasty names like "cuntbiscuit" or "twaddlepisser".

I was at least expecting all our avatars to be set to a xenomorph for a day or something.

True, it's not as hard being a villain on this site as many might think. It'll be a real wipeout if they don't end up doing anything though, I was thinking they might publish a list of us and ask users to send us hate mail or something >.>

JoJo:

SkarKrow:

JoJo:

True, it's not as hard being a villain on this site as many might think. It'll be a real wipeout if they don't end up doing anything though, I was thinking they might publish a list of us and ask users to send us hate mail or something >.>

I can't help but think that would somehow violate a law somewhere > > but I was expecting something. We're not allowed to vote though, which is pretty bullshit as it wasn't mentioned when I voted that my vote would be lost for having a laugh.

SkarKrow:

JoJo:

SkarKrow:

I can't help but think that would somehow violate a law somewhere > > but I was expecting something. We're not allowed to vote though, which is pretty bullshit as it wasn't mentioned when I voted that my vote would be lost for having a laugh.

Have you tried voting recently? No-one's was working at first due to an error in the coding, and since the staff fixed it mine has been working fine (the 'My bracket' part that is, the voting for the 'Official bracket' hasn't opened yet).

Wait, is it saying that we don't simply select our choice of all games of which we think was the best game in our view; but that we'll be choosing and rated based on how good we are in predicting and following the populist herd in a bracket format?

Haven't you ever seen how this kind of shit roles on GameFAQs? Those things are profoundly terrible. They service the populists and extend crumbs to those who nihilistically dissolve into the mass, and frustrate everyone else whose passion often dies in the second bracket. Just have something where people pick their game. 1 round, minimum frustration.

[Edit] Well at least that we'll be able to do all our own brackets right away. Not that it's comfortable having to choose between games you love near equally in predetermined round encounters. Some (together with the temptation to influence the brackets) can conflict you and even make you feel a bit dirty about choosing your game.

I think that the final battle this year will be Bioshock Infinite vs. GTAV. Although I could be wrong - Papers Please is kind of super successful and may end up making it to the final battle as well

Well seeing as Remember Me and Rayman Legends (unsurprisingly) didn't make it to the 16 my vote has to go to Dead Rising 3. It's just a damn fine game but I know it will lose, pretty badly too.

But the vote isn't for what you think is GOTY (out of the list anyway), is it? It's about what you think others think the GOTY is. In that case I'm torn between my love for Dead Rising 3 and my common sense telling me that The Last of Us and GTA V are the obvious winners.

ive got a feeling my choice of EUIV isnt going to win somehow. all because you filthy, flithy casuals have no taste !

You're not going to make me pick between XCOM and Papers Please. I wont do it. That's just cruel. Especially in the first round.

Wow. You just got me to choose between Papers Please and XCOM: Enemy Within. Then after a bit of fairly easy voting, you got me to choose between Papers Please and The Last of Us. Those were both the hard choices, but in the end, both times I went with the first. AAA industry is just burnt out for me, I have most of AAA 2013 titles, and I only finished Bioshock: Infinite, TLOU, and Beyond (well, I consider it an AAA game, and I liked it actually), the rest just sit there beaten halfway or even only a quarter way through.

Meanwhile, Papers Please managed to become engaging, thought provoking, and clicked on all the right cylinders in my "your choices matter" brain. Actually, this also describes The Stanley Parable (2013), my actual GOTY 2013. Yay small developers I guess, you know more on what's going on than most big studios out there.

For 2014: Witcher 3 and Murdered: Soul Suspect please be good ;[

AldUK:
My own personal final was Starcraft 2: Heart of the Swarm vs The Last Of Us, but I know Starcraft isn't popular at The Escapist because of the console bias.

Did I do the time quantum warp? Because last I checked, The Escapist is heavily biased towards the PC as compared to consoles.

EDIT: In terms of the actual games up for voting, it's a curios set of choices. Although the placing of titles seems slightly biased, as both GTA5 and Saints Row 4 are placed against titles that were recieved with lukewarm or overall mixed reception. It would seem more appropriate to have those titles face each-other in the first round to put to rest the "Best Sandbox Game of 2013" argument. Also, Dead Rising 3 facing off against Assassin's Creed 4 is more appropriate as well, as both games shares lots of gameplay elements. But whatever, it's The Escapist's bracket, not mine.

hmmmm, this bracket seems awfully heavy on games that came out recently. 8 out of the 16 games came out in the last month. so in the 12 months of the year half this bracket came from one. Methinks the people who chose the entries only figured in what we were talking about currently not year long.

Oh man, the decision between Bioshock Infinite and The Last Of Us is really hard for me, and I'm probably going to change it several times before the final round.

It was a tough decision for me, because they're all franchises I only recently decided I want due to expanding beyond playing nothing but fantasy RPGs. Hahaha.

AC: Historical RPG.
TR: I Spit on Your Grave: The Game.
GTA: Choke full of hilarious exploitable glitches.
SR: See above, but with a huge mod community that makes it even funnier.
XY: Nintendo fangirl.

I had papers please and Saints Row 4 up against each other with Saints Row 4 winning.

Well that voting was completely easy after all. Just take a guess, guys, it's not about what you want, it's about you what think others like.

Caramel Frappe:
Have a strong feeling about Last of Us making it to first place, if not second or third. The game itself is amazing overall.

Besides that...

OT: W00T!! Filled my bracket out, read the rules, gave feedback... now to await the day of voting. It's going to be super fun- or kind of sad if people can't behave themselves. Seriously, the staff doesn't HAVE to do us these favors with fun events, but they're trusting us. Let's show them that we can be civil about competitions, shall we?

... Please?

No, you suck, your opinions suck and even if you have the same opinions as me your opinions suck because I'm on the internet. Seriously though, I hope we can make this peaceful too.

Eric the Orange:
hmmmm, this bracket seems awfully heavy on games that came out recently. 8 out of the 16 games came out in the last month. so in the 12 months of the year half this bracket came from one. Methinks the people who chose the entries only figured in what we were talking about currently not year long.

Actually that's because a whole lot of the best games are released in fall because that is usually the time when games are selling most while few games are released during the summer months because game sales are generally in a slump. Still, I think you have a point. I often forget that what might be my favourite game this year actually came out this year since it came out in March.

OT: The games I voted for probably won't make it to round 2 for the most part. It's always tricky to decide if you should vote for the game you prefer or the game you think will win.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here