Super Mario 3D World Had The Worst Debut Week of Any 3D Mario Game

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Super Mario 3D World Had The Worst Debut Week of Any 3D Mario Game

Mario 3D World 07

Super Mario 3D World only managed to move 106,967 units in its first week in Japan.

The numbers have come in for Nintendo's latest Mario title: Super Mario 3D World, and I'm afraid it's not looking good. The title has had the worst debut week of any 3D Mario game ever, managing to move only 106,967 units in Japan. For perspective, the fastest-selling Mario, Super Mario 3D World's 3DS cousin: Super Mario 3D Land, moved 344,698 units in it's first week.

Here's the full list of 3D Mario platformers, and their respective week one and lifetime sales for comparison:

1. Super Mario 3D Land - 344,698 (1,861,023 total)
  2. Super Mario Galaxy 2 - 337,569 (1,032,853 total)
  3. Super Mario Sunshine - 280,610 (789,989 total)
  4. Super Mario Galaxy - 256,341 (1,025,664 total)
  5. Super Mario 64 - 162,113 (1,639,914 total)
  6. Super Mario 64 DS - 120,062 (1,231,535 total)
  7. Super Mario 3D World - 106,967

It's worth noting that the Wii U currently has a smaller install base than the other Nintendo platforms have had in the past, but it's still not a good sign that even a Mario game (and a fantastic Mario game at that) still can't sell consoles.

These figures are also solely for Japan, so the excuse of "well, it had to compete against the launch of next-gen" doesn't fly either, as neither the PS4 or the Xbox One will launch in the region until next year.

Source: Neogaf

That's really a shame, I have the game and it's quite a lot of fun to play. Hopefully things look better for the Wii U eventually, in this case when Smash Bros and Mario Kart 8 launch. Because honestly if those don't move units then nothing will move the Wii U.

I guess it's up to smash bros then. I'm sure that will sell. Mario Cart I'm not so sure about though. Not that I've looked at the figures of recent games, but the big 8 on the end makes me think that if people aren't getting psyched for Mario platformers, the 8th Mario cart might not do. It for them either.
...But I'm sure Smash Bros will sell.

Might want to edit your formatting a bit. A bit wonky.

That's a shame about the new game. I'm still looking forward to it however.

Nintendo has re-released the same games over and over so much it's no surprise people are over it, esp now that the graphical difference isn't as apparent. Maybe Nintendo will finally do more new IPs rather than the same 5 old rehashes ........ yeah right.

*activates Nintendo fanboy shield*

Before certain people jump up and down, I have the Wii, as well as the other consoles of this generation and will be getting the Wii U for the next after the PS4, this isn't Nintendo hate but rather someone who wants more variety, not just kiddy games. That's why the PlayStation is my preferred console, it's got the best variety that's only beaten by PC.

Huh, that's surprising. I won't be getting it however. I have a Wii U, and a 3DS with 3D Land on it, and I just don't like that one enough to get this. I miss the Mario 64 way of doing it, with properly open worlds, and none of that time limit thing. That was OK in the older games, but I'm not a fan of it in these. But the level design is the bigger thing for me. I want open worlds, not halfway sidescrolling like in 3D Land. Anyway, I really do hope it picks up, as I love the Wii U.

Jeez, that's terrible. And I keep hearing it's one of the best Mario games in years.

It's gotta be the WiiU. It's gotta be. Totally.

If the WiiU's poor sales didn't play some major part in the sales of 3D World, I'd be surprised.

But hey, once the new Smash Bros. comes out, the WiiU will sell like hotcakes.

...Unless everyone gets the 3DS version. Which is probably more likely.

I love Nintendo, and would love if the WiiU succeeded, but that's clearly not possible.
I think it's time Nintendo cut their WiiU losses, and capitalized on their strengths by going purely handheld.
The 3DS is doing gangbusters, and has nothing in the way of competition, Nintendo could just be the handheld company.
Or in some theoretical alternate universe, Sony could just admit that the PSP brand has failed, buy up Nintendo, and then we could have Nintendo games on a home console with market penetration, and Sony games on a decent handheld.
*Sighs* If only.

Wait, Japan only numbers. Are the other numbers also Japan-only? And I know "it doesn't have to compete with next-gen" does make it less impressive, but also not being out anywhere but Japan certainly doesn't help.

Andy of Comix Inc:
Wait, Japan only numbers. Are the other numbers also Japan-only? And I know "it doesn't have to compete with next-gen" does make it less impressive, but also not being out anywhere but Japan certainly doesn't help.

That's the point of the article all those are first week sales for Japan only.

Also what's with the Smash Bros will save the WiiU? the Wii version sold less than 10 million lifetime so with only 4 million WiiU's out there that's a max of 14 million, hardly saved.

Souplex:
I love Nintendo, and would love if the WiiU succeeded, but that's clearly not possible.
Sony could just admit that the PSP brand has failed, buy up Nintendo, and then we could have Nintendo games on a home console with market penetration, and Sony games on a decent handheld.
*Sighs* If only.

You don't think that if Sony did happen to buy up Nintendo (not ever happening) they wouldn't strip away everything that made Nintendo unique? I wouldn't want a Beyond: Two Marios: Revengeance: Luigi's Deception

I'm 99% sure that the lack of ownership is due to the fact nobody knows what the hell a Wii U is compared to a regular Wii. I was at Best Buy and had to explain to some dad shopping for gifts what the difference was because the employee didn't know. Sad because I've only heard good things from friends who have one.

Andy of Comix Inc:

The game is out worldwide, Nintendo launched it worldwide on the 22nd, yes the same day as the launch of the Xbox One. The article is pointing out that compared to all other 3D Mario games in their first week, this has sold the least amount. Really it'll be up to the US sales to help this game out more because expecting a Nintendo game to sell boatloads in Europe is like expecting Microsoft to get a strong foothold in the Japanese market with the Xbox One. It's possible, but highly unlikely.

Yoshi4102:

Souplex:
Sony could just admit that the PSP brand has failed, buy up Nintendo, and then we could have Nintendo games on a home console with market penetration, and Sony games on a decent handheld.
*Sighs* If only.

You don't think that if Sony did happen to buy up Nintendo (not ever happening) they wouldn't strip away everything that made Nintendo unique? I wouldn't want a Beyond: Two Marios: Revengeance: Luigi's Deception

I'm 99% sure that the lack of ownership is due to the fact nobody knows what the hell a Wii U is compared to a regular Wii. I was at Best Buy and had to explain to some dad shopping for gifts what the difference was because the employee didn't know. Sad because I've only heard good things from friends who have one.

Funny thing, I was at a Best Buy yesterday and managed to sell 6 Wii U's to people because they had no idea what it was, and the store people had no idea either. :P
Also Sony wouldn't strip Nintendo of what makes them unique. People seem to forget that Sony has games that are cartoony still and makes plenty of them actually...>.>

Neronium:
Funny thing, I was at a Best Buy yesterday and managed to sell 6 Wii U's to people because they had no idea what it was, and the store people had no idea either. :P
Also Sony wouldn't strip Nintendo of what makes them unique. People seem to forget that Sony has games that are cartoony still and makes plenty of them actually...>.>

Makes me so sad that Nintendo screwed the pooch on this one, I knew from the moment the name was announced that people weren't gonna know what the damn thing was. The fact that customers have to tell the employees what it is is pretty bad.

Sony does have cartoony stuff too, but Nintendo just has that... Nintendo charm. I really don't know any other way to explain it.

Well if there aren't many people owning the WiiU then there won't be many people buying the games eihter, quite simple.
I will get this as soon as I have played the few games I haven't finished yet.

So I guess finally being able to play as princess peach in a catsuit wasn't the saving grace nintendo needed?

I do find it funny how low these sales are though, people everywhere seem to love this game, maybe its a lot better over here in the states or something

So the only Mario in recent years that even though its still just a Mario game does seem to have quite a lot of cool stuff making it a very good platformer is the one that sells the worst? I guess Nintento shouldnt have milked Mario away with the mediocre as shit NSMB games (they really didnt do anything worth while)

The Wii-U was marketed terribly and I really think it should have had a different name, my mother thought the Wii-U was an expansion to the Wii and the 3DS and expansion to the normal DS.

Think of how many other people thought the same? If they marketed and advertised the damn thing, maybe it would sell better, I have one and I think it is a wonderful piece of kit, but the fact is, Nintendo really messed this one up, they need to do mass marketing to make people remember there is more than just the Xbone and the PS4.

I have this ordered, can't wait to play it.

Well, it's sort of working on me as this game is the reason i'll eventually pick up a Wii-U when they've given it a hefty price cut.

Neronium:

Andy of Comix Inc:

The game is out worldwide, Nintendo launched it worldwide on the 22nd, yes the same day as the launch of the Xbox One. The article is pointing out that compared to all other 3D Mario games in their first week, this has sold the least amount. Really it'll be up to the US sales to help this game out more because expecting a Nintendo game to sell boatloads in Europe is like expecting Microsoft to get a strong foothold in the Japanese market with the Xbox One. It's possible, but highly unlikely.

I live in Australia and I can confirm they did not launch it "worldwide" or I'd be playing right now ;(

Taking the route of IGN?

Okay, yes, for a 3D Mario game it had poor sales.

However you need to look at the bigger picture.

If I'm not mistaken, there are only 1 million Wii U's in Japan. Super Mario 3D world sold about 344,000 copies in the week of release.

That means that almost 40% of all Wii U owners bought the game. And since Mario games tend to have steady sales and a good attachment rate, the more people who buy a Wii U, the more sales they will make on this game.

They aren't like regular AAA buster games where they sell like hotcakes week 1, and drop off the face of the planet a month in.

This is going to be a must buy game for any Wii U owner.

Here we go, yet another Mario game and people aren't lining up for it? Who would have thought.
I wouldn't expect it to be any different with Mario Kart U and Super Smash Brothers U.

Don't get me wrong, I grew up playing these kind of games, I had a blast playing through Mario Galaxy 2 just a few years ago, but I want something new from them already. And another Zelda, Kart of Mario Brawl game just isn't gonna do it for me, I played all that guff on the SNES, N64, Cube and Wii, not waiting to play the same stuff again on the Wii-U.

Or... people are just holding out for Christmas.

Neronium:

Andy of Comix Inc:

This isn't worldwide numbers. I saw the same thing yesterday and the authors of that page stated that this was Japan only.

Considering the amount of Wii U's in Japan, that's a pretty damn good sale.

What should be a bigger report though is that Lightning Returns is a colossal flop. It out beat SM3dW by only 100k units. Unlike the Wii U that has the excuse of a small install base, Lightning Returns, literally has the second largest install base as of right now and hardly beat a Wii U title at launch.

Ouch I knew that the WiiU wasn't selling well but if even Mario can't shift systems then Nintendo is in trouble.

Dragonbums:
Taking the route of IGN?

If I'm not mistaken, there are only 1 million Wii U's in Japan. Super Mario 3D world sold about 344,000 copies in the week of release.

That means that almost 40% of all Wii U owners bought the game. And since Mario games tend to have steady sales and a good attachment rate, the more people who buy a Wii U, the more sales they will make on this game.

They aren't like regular AAA buster games where they sell like hotcakes week 1, and drop off the face of the planet a month in.

I think you misread the figures; it is not 344,000 units sold. Super Mario 3D World sold only 106K and that is according to Famitsu. According to Media Create, it sold only 99K. It was supposed to be the biggest system seller for the Wii U and it was not able to do anything. It got outsold by 170K by the lowest selling FF game ever. Furthremore "system-sellers" do not rely on the installed base to sell. That is the whole point of first-party exclusives.; they build installed base and make people buy the system to play them. This clearly shows that the game was not a system seller.

Souplex:
I think it's time Nintendo cut their WiiU losses, and capitalized on their strengths by going purely handheld.
The 3DS is doing gangbusters, and has nothing in the way of competition, Nintendo could just be the handheld company.
Or in some theoretical alternate universe, Sony could just admit that the PSP brand has failed, buy up Nintendo, and then we could have Nintendo games on a home console with market penetration, and Sony games on a decent handheld.
*Sighs* If only.

lol. Well that is pretty unlikely. Especially given that up until their recent uncharacteristic losses, they were one of the richest companies in Japan, while Sony was heavily in debt. Arguably a year or so ago, Nintendo buying Sony would have been more probable than the reverse. then again people seem to have a blind spot to how profitable Nintendo is... All they see is the games and consoles, and not the stuff that actually matters to keeping a business going...

Dragonbums:
Taking the route of IGN?

The main point here is that it didn't sell more WiiUs. Which you would expect a Mario title to do. A killer app if you will for the system. Sure the people who already had a WiiU will get it, Nintendo games for a Nintendo system. I mean seriously who doesn't get Nintendo games for a Nintendo system.

But it's no secret that WiiU sales have been pretty awful. But the mantra has been they just need a good game for people to buy it. And this, if nothing else, SHOULD have been that game. Not only is it Mario, but it's also been getting amazing reviews, 9s and 10s everywhere. And yet console sales aren't rising.

So I guess what I'm saying if the numbers don't turn around soon, a 100% attach rate may not be enough to recoup development costs.

Asim Mehmood:

Dragonbums:
Taking the route of IGN?

I think you misread the figures; it is not 344,000 units sold. Super Mario 3D World sold only 106K and that is according to Famitsu. According to Media Create, it sold only 99K. It was supposed to be the biggest system seller for the Wii U and it was not able to do anything. It got outsold by 170K by the lowest selling FF game ever. Furthremore "system-sellers" do not rely on the installed base to sell; they make people buy the system to play them. This clearly proves that the game was not a system seller.

I'm looking at both the source of the article, and various other outlets. Every single of them has said that SM3DW sold around 350k in it's first week. I'm not sure where you are getting 99K from, but that is not the numbers ANY media venue is reporting.

As such, my comment still stands. Overall the games sold 1 million units. On a console with a 3 million units install base that is far from bad, but not ideal. I would be more concerned about Lightning Returns.

Eric the Orange:

Dragonbums:
Taking the route of IGN?

The main point here is that it didn't sell more WiiUs. Which you would expect a Mario title to do. A killer app if you will for the system. Sure the people who already had a WiiU will get it, Nintendo games for a Nintendo system. I mean seriously who doesn't get Nintendo games for a Nintendo system.

But it's no secret that WiiU sales have been pretty awful. But the mantra has been they just need a good game for people to buy it. And this, if nothing else, SHOULD have been that game. Not only is it Mario, but it's also been getting amazing reviews, 9s and 10s everywhere. And yet console sales aren't rising.

So I guess what I'm saying if the numbers don't turn around soon, a 100% attach rate may not be enough to recoup development costs.

Look how many people on here have stated they aren't buying (any) console for a single game. This is also the fact that more people are holding out for the holidays than anything else.

You have some people on here that are only going to buy the Wii U for Bayonetta 2 or X.

At this point it's like the 3DS.

Nobody bought the system regardless of Mario games until it had a solid library of games. Same thing is going to happen for the Wii U, and I'm damn well sure the PS4 and Xbox 1 are going to experience the same thing in their first year.

SecondPrize:
Well, it's sort of working on me as this game is the reason i'll eventually pick up a Wii-U when they've given it a hefty price cut.

Same here, I would like to get a Wii-U but it's hard to justify right now when here in the UK it's still going for 250 approx with one game bundled, and there's so few games worth getting on the console yet. Once Nintendo finally release MarioKart, SSB and give the console a price slash, then I'll be ready to invest in one.

Dragonbums:

Asim Mehmood:

Dragonbums:
Taking the route of IGN?

I think you misread the figures; it is not 344,000 units sold. Super Mario 3D World sold only 106K and that is according to Famitsu. According to Media Create, it sold only 99K. It was supposed to be the biggest system seller for the Wii U and it was not able to do anything. It got outsold by 170K by the lowest selling FF game ever. Furthremore "system-sellers" do not rely on the installed base to sell; they make people buy the system to play them. This clearly proves that the game was not a system seller.

I'm looking at both the source of the article, and various other outlets. Every single of them has said that SM3DW sold around 350k in it's first week. I'm not sure where you are getting 99K from, but that is not the numbers ANY media venue is reporting.

As such, my comment still stands. Overall the games sold 1 million units. On a console with a 3 million units install base that is far from bad, but not ideal. I would be more concerned about Lightning Returns.

"Facepalm!" Please look carefully at the first post or the Neogaf source link. Super Mario 3D LAND sold 344,000 in its first week which was released on the 3DS years ago. Super Mario 3D world sold only 99K/106K in it first week. Here are two more links,

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/11/super_mario_3d_world_underwhelms_on_japanese_chart_debut

http://nintendoeverything.com/media-create-software-sales-1118-1124/

Maybe, JUST MAYBE people are getting sick and tired of Mario games?

Asim Mehmood:

Dragonbums:

Asim Mehmood:

"Facepalm!" Please look carefully at the first post or the Neogaf source link. Super Mario 3D LAND sold 344,000 in its first week which was released on the 3DS years ago. Super Mario 3D world sold only 99K/106K in it first week. Here are two more links,

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/11/super_mario_3d_world_underwhelms_on_japanese_chart_debut

That same thread you linked is the same one in the article, which if clicked on states that they sold 420k in its first week. So either your mixing up day 1 sales with week 1 sales or every gaming outlet is wrong in their statistics.

Well, it is on the WiiU. That would hurt any game's chances for success.

Dragonbums:

Asim Mehmood:

Dragonbums:

That same thread you linked is the same one in the article, which if clicked on states that they sold 420k in its first week. So either your mixing up day 1 sales with week 1 sales or every gaming outlet is wrong in their statistics.

Can you link to one of these sources that claims Super Mario 3D World sold 350k rather than saying "every gaming outlet"?

Also keep in mind that this is Japanese sales, not worldwide, USA or Europe.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here