Halo 4 Designer Discusses the Game's Failures

Halo 4 Designer Discusses the Game's Failures

Halo 4 Castle Map Pack

Halo 4 had its fair share of faults and oversights, and its design director has taken to Twitter to open a postmortem on what could've been done better.

Despite what internet fanboys may tell you, no game makes it through the development process without flaws - there is no perfect game. That said, many developers and publishers never acknowledge the problems in their titles - so it's refreshing to see 343 Industries' Brad Welch doing just that. Welch, who served as design director on Halo 4, opened up a post-mortem with fans to discuss what went wrong with Halo 4 and what can be improved for the next game.

Halo 4 was by no means a bad game, but it had some issues. It hasn't enjoyed the same multiplayer popularity as its predecessors, and Welch has some ideas on what caused that.

"Big Team is an area we focused on for H4," he goes on to say. "It's a whole different beast. We focused on heavies and I'm OK with that. That's a 2nd focus." After the brief explanation about the dev team's priorities, Welch answered a slew of questions from fans. Often when responders mentioned something that they didn't like about Halo 4, he asked what games did it better, to learn what the fans wanted. He also explained why some of the game's faults were present. "Very fair point," he said to one responder who criticized Halo 4's short progression system. "I actually designed that system and feel bad that it tapped out. Major surgery pulled me out of H4 a bit early."

It's nice to see an open conversation between developers and fans, particularly on the sensitive topic of mistakes. Welch received a lot of feedback from fans, and hopefully that new knowledge will be applied directly towards making Halo 5 a better game for its audience.

Source: Twitter

I think the first fault was letting 343 actually make the game. I dont think i'll come back to the series unless that one gets fixed, wich will probably be never.

Campaign was unplayable to me
Enemy AI retarded compared to Reach (I could write a whole essay on how bad this was)
New weapons (Promethean) just rip offs of existing ones but shinier
No new Vehicles
Marines magiced in and out of map, keeping them alive and armed was part of the fun.

Multiplayer was good though I thought

Yes, the main fault is in the name "Halo4"
Can anyone guess what I mean?

Stupidity:
Campaign was unplayable to me
Enemy AI retarded compared to Reach (I could write a whole essay on how bad this was)
New weapons (Promethean) just rip offs of existing ones but shinier
No new Vehicles
Marines magiced in and out of map, keeping them alive and armed was part of the fun.

Multiplayer was good though

I don't know how hard legendary might of been in Reach (or other games, as I rarely go above heroic for most anything), but I found Legendary in Halo 4... rather tame. For someone with absolutely no real experience with that difficulty in the past games, I blew through several stages pretty easily on it.

And I'll agree for the most part on Promethean weapons. Some of them were just painfully obvious ripoffs, but also painfully more obviously even better. I pretty much always stuck with the Promethean SMG just for how good it was (to me at least).

And honestly, Multiplayer was 'meh' to me. Mechs were far too easily killed to be meaningful, and the progression system just felt forced, mostly for the character to earn the 'perks' and the like, though some of it is also aimed towards unlocking different "armor pieces" for customization. I much preferred buying them or earning them via achievements, kind of like how the Hayabusa Sword/Helmet combo could be unlocked in Halo 3.

Opinion

Halo 4 shouldn't have existed in general...not on the 360 anyway. I played through the whole thing and had two main lines of thought: "Wow, this vehicle section is freaking awesome" and, "Where is a Mantis? Give me a Mantis. I want a Mantis. Any vehicle really but specifically a Mantis." This game could have been the first in a new spin-off series of vehicle-centric Halo titles. Between the new vehicles and established vehicles there's no reason a story couldn't have been made linking a series of levels that start you out in a Warthog or, Mantis and lead you into space combat...then end traditionally, with a mongoose tearing ass away from disaster and into a waiting escape ship.

Did anyone mention how over-saturated the game was and the lack of vibrant colors? Because those were my biggest problems with it.

Multiplayer, too, was much less fun than previous games. I don't know, in trying to modernize it, it lost some of what made it unique. At least in the current shooter landscape. Maps just weren't that fun, and many are essentially three parallel paths or a symmetrical arena. Which aren't necessarily bad, mind you, but when those are the only general layouts for the maps? It just gets real old real quick. And then there's the weapons. One thing I liked about Halo is that each weapon served a purpose. There weren't very many repeats. And if guns were similar, there was usually still something that made 'em stand apart. In Halo 4, many are essentially just re-skins. The Promethean weapons are the biggest culprits. Maybe it was to make the whole choosing what weapon to spawn with thing (another issue I had with the game) more fair, but it made many weapons just redundant.

My biggest grief with the game was the terrible performance. Sure it looked all shiny and what not but having the game dip down to about 20fps (maybe lower) is unacceptable. Plus the Spartans just looked way overdone. And they would always throw too many enemies at you. It was quite overwhelming sometimes. Add on the fact that it all felt really dragged out and often very samey, it was just boring to play.

Oh right the multiplayer, it was ok, but it didn't feel like Halo anymore. Too many abilities and add ons. Plus the fact that everyone could sprint at all times made it too manic for me.

CardinalPiggles:
And they would always throw too many enemies at you. It was quite overwhelming sometimes. Add on the fact that it all felt really dragged out and often very samey, it was just boring to play.

I have a sure win strategy for when the game spawns hordes at you.
1. back up till you leave their range
2. shoot them in the face as they move in little circles and fire a few rounds every 30 sec. Enemies in Halo 4 are tethered to their spawn point and only rarely use cover well. (few months after release anyway)

I know "they changed it, now it sucks" is an overdone complaint, but I spent significantly (like, by a factor of 10) less time in Halo 4's multiplayer than Halo 3 and Reach's. I feel that this is because they tried to ape CoD too much (and I say that as someone who spent almost as much time in Black Ops' and MW3's multiplayer as Reach's). Point streaks were completely out of place, power weapons need to be placed around the map; Customisable loadouts were boring, Reach's class system was better balanced; Giving everyone sprint meant that everyone moved slower by default; Instant respawn screwed with tactics and pacing. Halo always found the happy medium between MMS and classic arena shooters, but Halo 4 tipped the balance too heavily towards MMS.

Campaign was OK. The characters (and by characters I mean Cortana, the only character in the Halo universe other than Sgt. Johnson) were good and the ending almost drew a tear.

I still hold out hope that one day Halo 3 will get a PC port, and I can once again revel in its finely-tuned fun.

Often when responders mentioned something that they didn't like about Halo 4, he asked what games did it better, to learn what the fans wanted.

My intent is not to be cynical, but does that read like "tell us things that you like about other games so that we can include them in next in order to broaden its appeal" to anyone else?

"Very fair point," he said to one responder who criticized Halo 4's short progression system. "I actually designed that system and feel bad that it tapped out. Major surgery pulled me out of H4 a bit early."

Is this really what development is like on a Triple A title? "Guys! We need to work on the progression system, but Brad's not here due to surgery. Damn! We have no idea how to finish that up. It was Brad's baby. Oh well, we've gotta get the game to print. Just send it as is." There was no overall plan to the point that folks could say "Brad's not here, but we know his vision for the system so we can carry on without him." It is really THAT compartmentalized?

tdylan:

Often when responders mentioned something that they didn't like about Halo 4, he asked what games did it better, to learn what the fans wanted.

My intent is not to be cynical, but does that read like "tell us things that you like about other games so that we can include them in next in order to broaden its appeal" to anyone else?

Not really. He's not asking for feature suggestions, but about better implementations of existing features.

P.S. Thanks

It is promising to see them admit the issues with Halo 4. I did honestly enjoy the campaign, Spartan Ops was an interesting concept it was just not well executed, but the multiplayer was just depressing. For all the problems Reach had, it never felt like it abandoned the core of Halo like Halo 4 did.

The multiplayer specifically never felt like a "Halo" game in the same way Halo CE-Halo 3(and even Reach) did. I'm a big fan of the Halo franchise as a whole. I'm not opposed to seeing different kinds of Halo games, I enjoyed Halo Wars as its own game and as part of the Halo universe. I wouldn't mind seeing some of the contents and ideas from Halo 4 become their own games, but I don't want to see them replace what I started out with in the first place.

Custom Classes(with "primaries", "secondaries", and perks), killstreaks, sprint, even smaller things like flinch or hitmarkers. None of these things fit with the "Halo" gameplay we started out with. It may be a solid game on its own, but from what I've seen it is not what a large portion of Halo fans want from a core title.

If the first "vidoc" style videos for Halo 5(or whatever it will be called) starts of with "hey we messed up so we are going back to our roots" I will be excited. However I am not exactly optimistic anything like that will happen.

You know what the funny part was?

Nearly everything that dragged the game down, at least in terms of multiplayer, was accurately predicted and foretold by pros and regular players alike MONTHS, MONTHS in advance. But 343i didn't listen - and their forums were basically an echo chamber filled with jack-booted thugs in the form of Forum Mods; it got to the point where they simply locked threads and banned members for having dissenting opinions. I remember one thread that was basically a graduate-student effort describing how the new CTF and weapon drop systems were a bad idea and wouldn't work as well as the old ones; they banned the creator and blocked the thread.

I got banned for pointing a novice-level flaw in their data gathering methods and because I got a little harsh with BS Angel after she proved just how bad she was at the game (she caused a team of three semi-pros to lose because she fed so hard) and said she probably shouldn't have any input on game balance.

But hey, stuff like that it'll happen when a good portion of your fanbase has more experience playing and perfecting gameplay than your design team has time making games.

There was actually a lot I liked about Halo 4. I really enjoyed the spec ops missions (even though they were super cheesy) because it gave me and my friends something to do if we didn't want to play MP, and I really enjoyed the high production values of the cut scenes. I also really enjoyed the speed of the combat in Halo 4. I enjoyed having the ability to sprint as a default, and I thought it improved the flow of the game, especially on large maps in big team (which is what I mostly played).

Now the problems:

Like others have mentioned, campaign AI was pretty much a joke. The enemy AI in Halo Reach was some of the smartest I've ever seen, and to go from that to Halo 4 just felt like such a MASSIVE step back. Prometheans were stupid and not fun to fight. They had incredibly dumb AI and are just bullet sponges. They were a step up from Flood, but just barely.

Armor abilities in Halo 4 never really felt like they were particularly worth using. The maps never really seemed designed with them in mind. Jetpack never seemed like it was significantly more useful for traversing maps, the booster pack was completely worthless in default game modes. In fact, there really weren't any armor abilities worth using other than the cloak and the promethean vision.

Vehicle balance was atrocious. What idiot decided that ghosts should take a charged shot from a plasma pistol and 2 plasma grenades to destroy, while the banshee and the mantis get ripped apart like tissue paper by concentrated DMR fire?

The original maps the game came with were pretty terrible. The only maps I liked were Ragnarok (remake of Valhalla), Exile, and Adrift. With so few fun maps I really didn't feel any incentive to shell out for DLC, so I didn't. Forge maps also make the frame-rate shit itself pretty bad.

Ordinance drops are dumb.

Having been a Halo fan for years, I'd jump onto Twitter for the occasion to fire off some questions at a developer.

Except it'd be a waste of time. When I think about it, I'm not out for clarification, I'm out for blood. 343i ruined my most favourite game series of all time and drove me away from Xbox to PC. They handled the transition of the Halo series from Bungie about as delicately as a sledgehammer used in keyhole surgery.

Bungie got it fairly right with Halo 3, then improved on certain aspects even more with Reach. Granted not all of Reach was good, so 343i only had to take out Bloom, change the abilities and tweak the weighting some more, and they'd have made the perfect Halo game. They could've also put a little spin on things or something to make it more thier own... but what they ended up doing absolutely killed Xbox for me.

List:
No separation between social, competitive and ranked playlists,
No playlists such as "Team Objective,
No asymmetrical gametypes despite there being asymmetrical maps,
Bad netcode (no Locale, host is chosen by lowest level player),
Bad maps (see "No asymmetrical gametypes",
Bad UI (Look made for Kinect. Reach had best UI),
Fewer and worse gametypes (Infinity slayer, dominion, BTB),
Killstreaks... really?
Poor frame stability (stutters and frame-lag repeatedly),
Somehow worse graphics,
Bad matchmaking (because it didn't exist for many many months and sucked when it did),
Feature incomplete at launch (fileshare, ranking, Spartan Ops, etc),
Boring & Repetitive Spartan Ops,
Weak custom game editor (limited capability compared to even Halo 3),
Worse forge mode (good concept with maps and object skins, but fewer and broken tools),
6 months of unbalanced weapons...

That's just off the top of my head. I haven't mentioned Join In Progress, the cutscene quality, the bad cosmetics, the lame abilities, the slaughtering of Action Sack on Reach, the fact that the waypoint was a central hub, the party system, the voting system, etc etc.

So yeah, way to kill a game series 343i. So much ignorance to the original fanbase all in an attempt to appeal to CoD fans, who predictably left for CoD. I am disgusted.

How to alienate your original fanbase and yet fail to attract your new target audience 101: By 343 Industries.

BEHOLD MY SERIOUS RANT ABOUT HALO 4 (and please, post it in Welsh Twitter... im not making a Twitter account ever... just mention my name XD)

-FIRST, the 130 lvls are pitiful, you cant never know if youre fighting against a n00b 130, or a pro 130 with 15 days of gaming.

-Rumble Pit. Broken, spawn points suck, it is common to spawn behind players that just spawned, or between two guys fighting, or in front of a sniper....4 times in a row. The Feedback treath has 7 pages of people begging for 6 players limit, but no, 343i wont fix it, they wont even talk about how broken it is.

-Donnut shaped maps in FFA list, that allow people to get insta sanviched when they spawn, and they were added in the FFA lists against the will of their own cartographers who designed them for Team Based games.

-The Rail Gun is bugged, 1/5 shots misfire, hit the blank and do zero damage, or kill the blank without hit it. And when the gun is in RRR instead of use the standard bullet magnetism the bullet travels towards one side of the enemy and then magically flies towards him and kills it. The funny thing is that after update they added it to a lot of maps

-The weapons update made the Covenant Carbine a plain worse weapon than the Battle Rifle in all stats.

-It also rendered the Pistol useless by not updating its SK after the patch, the Concussion Rifle is also fucked up, and the SAW aiming help wasnt tweaked as the rest of the rifles. The Supressor was wrongly buffed, it requires a spread reduction, not a damage boost, you dont need a damage boost when the bullets wont hit the enemy anyway.

-Having less aiming help than ordinary rifles the automatic rifles need a very skilled player just to match a normal BR or CC player, not to mention than burst fire to prevent spread is impossible, so youre forced to fire one bullet at a time even if you just want to fire at 20m...

-Regicide had a small amount of power weapons so you couldnt own the King so easily, the guys who updated it didnt knew that and screwed the list. They even added 2-3 snipers in most maps, and in Regicide the top player has an arrow that points to his head all the time....

-They added Slayer Pro believing that it was more balanced when it just makes the CC and LR suck, i dont even know why it has loadouts for them. And of course, they added it in the "casual" Infinity Slayer list, where people goes to have fun...Not in Team Throwback were pro players compete.

-The LR 4SK trick was nerfed, removing the LR from mid range, when in the original balance the LR, CC and BR were ALMOST balanced at mid range. Excluding of course the magic bloom the CC had (that was fortunately fixed).

-Sprint was added for nonsense, it doesnt work while attacking, it destroys map control, its makes people flee from fights and it makes steal kills easier.

-And of course, play in DLC maps is almost impossible, unless you wanna get in a party and wait 5 mins of Matchmaking.

-Wich also remainds me: The game puts priority in joining parties no matter what, parties of people with 10CSR who just want to have fun and chat get matched with highly coordinated 50CSRs.

-Everytime a player lefts a game a random number of players get magically disconnected from the match, and even if they reconnect again the match is counted as DNF (did not finish).

-Theres a funny thing with the Sticky Detonator and the Rocket Launcher, in theory the SD should be anti-infantry, and the RL anti-vehicle, but instead both guns are anti-infantry...why? becuase the player already spawns with everything he needs to destroy any vehicle, this is Plasma Pistol and Sticky Grenades.

-You only spawn with one Pulse grenade, which is odd becuase its weaker than any other grenade, especially after the update.

-And of course, Halo 4 shipped with less gamemodes than any other Halo game, and less Custom options.

-A weird design: Theres no custom options for Asymetrical objective modes (1Flag, Bomb with one base, etc), but oddly enough all maps (but one) on the disk are Asymetrical. The stupidest thing is that even in maps that have symetric sides the asymetric side is choosen as base....

-Theres too many spawn killing grounds in the disc maps, this is specially true for Abandon and Complex, people just gets spawned in the middle of nowhere and gets killed over and over.

-Also Halo 4 has the slowest matchmaking on consoles, only comparable to BO2.

-Also the Energy Sword has a different range than his RRR, this means that sometimes when your reticle is red you will just swing the air, when this never happened in any other Halo game.

-A this point you may think "well Reiniat you just proved your point", but the point is; this hasnt over yet:

-Flinch is wrong designed and everyone, even the people who agrees with the class-bassed system and the Ordnance Drops, wants Descope back, there was a poll for it, only 4% players liked Flinch.

-The Sniper Rifle causes flinch in the Team Snipers playlist, ruining the original Team Snipers combat.

-The logic of CSR: you can be 30CSR and its perfectly reasonable and in fact very common to be matched against 10CSR and win, and then against 50CSR and lose...In either case your CSR is unaffected, it seems like the CSR doesnt define against who are you matched, but just whether it grows or decreases when you win or lose.

-Scorpions removed in update...they werent OP, they werent useless. no explanation was given.

-Gauss Warthog was the only Warthog that could stand agaisnt Plasma Pistols and nades, but it had too much aiming help, so after remove some Aiming Help it became too harder to shot, so devs removed it completely without trying to balance it again, and then they add only one in some maps....turned upside down

-Theres SWAT on multi-team in Ragnarok, its a spawnkilling feast.

-Im tired and theres work tomorrow....oh wait, the 110% increase in velocity also affected inertia and its harder to strafe, oddly enough strafe was already a very weak game strategy becuase of the insane amount of aiming help and the bigger head hit-boxes.

-Oh wait, theres no penalty for quitting games, so people leaves all the time, think on the problem about reconnection that i stated above....

-After multiple patches Ordnance Drops still bug in maps like Abandon, preventing people form take them.

.-And all the players have to wait 3 mins to reconnect if the host abandons the game (and if someone takes a bit more he gets DNFed), becuase in the more expensive Microsoft game to date, wich is supposed to be the staple of the MS power, there isnt dedicated servers, nor a stable peer to peer network :)

btw ParagonFury, i spent a lot of time in the Halo forums, and all the people i saw getting banned deserved it for being too harsh, and at some point that includes me :)

GOD I WISH I COULD WORK FOR 343i, im confident i could make a better work than them in my first try :D

While I didn't play the multi-player outside a few matches, I really enjoyed the Halo 4 campaign. For me Halo is all about single player, and in that regard, I genuinely like Halo 4 a whole bunch.

Though I still think it was messed up that you have to have an Xbox Live Gold account for Spartan Ops.

I was keen with 343 when I saw the work they had put into things like Waypoint, Halo: CEA and all that stuff.
Halo 4 was disappointing, but I don't think it's entirely terrible.
It's still IMO a better shooter than most on the market of that year.

I think with Halo 5 (or whatever it is), they might be able to pull it off.
They have LOTS of talent there, no doubt about it.
However with a refocus, they could bring back the unmatched gameplay of yesteryear.

I find this kind of funny seeing as 343i has had constant feedback in the Halo 4 forums on what exactly went wrong. Granted, large numbers of posts of have been very hostile however, there have been just as many from passionate fans that tactfully and thoughtfully brought up many ways the game could be changed for the better.

I can remember pre Halo 4 launch on those forums too. Long time players and fans were telling 343i no ranked/social separation was a bad idea. No in game visible ranks was a bad idea. Flag pick up was a bad idea. Custom load outs, perks and the expanding of AA's was a bad idea for the Halo franchise. All 343i kept saying was "Trust Us". They've kept that mantra up managed to alienate large portions of the fans, implemented a wretched Competitive Skill Based Ranking system (that isn't even in game) and created/used some of the worst maps/forged maps to ever grace a main Halo title.

As others have said, and I've said in their forums; trust is earned. They had one chance to prove Halo was in capable hands. They did not prove that and have continued to prove they don't know what makes Halo, well Halo.

Speaking only for the single player; I didn't hate Halo 4 and it wasn't the worst in the franchise (that honor going to 3), and I think for a first time dev team who was being as closely monitored by nosey producers, it wasn't a bad product. And Halo series has never suffered from the same sense of repetition that the dreadful CoD series does, but it certainly could of done alot of things better if someone had had some balls to tell a different story.
1) Can we just admit that Masterchief is probably the most boring protagonist put to a game. I mean it is really baffling how many fanboys he has, when he has, as a character, the emotional range of a slab of concrete. I mean coming off of Reach where perhaps they didn't have 100% original characters but at least they actually used them well.
2) We don't need to fight the exact same covenant again with not even new hats.
3) Making Cortana the way they did was cheap and sleazy.
4) Going from maguffin to maguffin is not effective story telling.
5) The newest baddies were kind of bland. Their weapons felt really off to me. There was no satisfaction in firing them like there is for the snazzy looking alien weapons or the tough looking marine weapons.
6) Tell a story of your own maybe, don't try to pick up and run with a story line that Bungie all but ended as solidly as possible.

On a personal level, I want to strangle whoever thought customizable loadouts were a good idea in a Halo game.

Anyways, the game was too focused on shiny-shiny, and as a result, so many other elements were either subpar or awful.

The biggest offender of rushed mechanics has got to be the AI.

While the friendly AI in Reach were traditionally pants on head retarded, the enemy AI were very smart, and well designed, and were actually capable of strategies. Imagine my surprise when the first squadron of Elites you fight began utilizing frustrating guerrilla tactics to wear me down. In 4, the enemy AI just kinda... stood there and soaked up damage. Lame. That's pretty amateurish design right there.

Honestly, the best way to fix things in time for Halo 5 would be to can the lot of 343i and start from scratch.

Weapon loadouts alleviate allow you to jump right in to your preferred play style, so you don't spend minutes combing the map with a gun you hate looking for a spawn that someone has probably already taken. Drops then add a level of variation to this that both rewards performance and allows you to evolve your approach without really affecting anything in the match beyond your own abilities.

The story was hands down the best of the series, bringing in a greater focus on many of the elements that have either only been hinted at before or supplied only by the novels. The greater focus on Chief's characterization is particularly welcome, IE the fact that he's not just a blank robotic soldier because the writer forgot to hand him a character but because that's actually who he is as a person, and the events of the story pull him out of that shell into an emotional place he is very uncomfortable with.

The Promethean weapons may not have broken entirely new ground but they provided some interesting new takes on familiar ideas that allowed you to know exactly what something was and how to use it the moment you picked it up, but still differentiated themselves from their more standard counterparts enough to worth choosing.

The new enemy types also added a considerable new dynamic to combat, and in general I found them to be more challenging adversaries then previous enemies in a very good way. Maybe it's just something I don't bother paying much attention to but I didn't notice any change in AI behavior between 4 and any of the previous games. Things shoot me and try not to get shot, that about sums it up. If there is actually any change I really couldn't care less. It worked.

To summarize, every entry is great in it's own different way, but 4 is easily my new favorite. Come at me bro

Mike Richards:
Weapon loadouts alleviate allow you to jump right in to your preferred play style "

[quote="Mike Richards" post="7.835405.20456135"]Weapon loadouts alleviate allow you to jump right in to your preferred play style

The story was hands down the best of the series

The Promethean weapons

The new enemy types also added a considerable new dynamic to combat, and in general I found them to be more challenging adversaries then previous enemies in a very good way. Maybe it's just something I don't bother paying much attention to but I didn't notice any change in AI behavior between 4 and any of the previous games. Things shoot me and try not to get shot, that about sums it up. If there is actually any change I really couldn't care less. It worked.

To summarize, every entry is great in it's own different way, but 4 is easily my new favorite. Come at me bro

Well, you asked.

1: Ahah, unless you like vehicles. Then being plasma pistoled and sticky grenaded consistently did not add to the game. Hell when I played, unless they could one shot, they were practically useless. Even Mantis', unless they had super good ground support.

Or even playing ground where a new guy can start with the same exact gear and have the same opportunities to get better weapons around the map just like a player whose been around. What can a new guy do when he doesn't have anything of the things a player whose been around has? A even bigger disadvantage. Doesn't add to the game.

2: You're serious? Between the terrible storytelling and complete lack of caring about the villain or anything, it wasn't that good. I mean, the Didact is a super weak villain with a odd sense of superiority, 10,000 year old prejudice, can pilot his own ship that had him imprisoned five minutes ago, a odd resurgence of Covenant when we just got done with that whole thing, unexplained space magic, and magic control of all the robots. 'Cause nothing was done to make sure he didn't get control of them again, and nothing in their programming or whatever let them stop and try to talk to MC instead of just trying to outright kill him. Unlike later when they're seen commanding Covenant. Who oddly obey for no adequately explained reason. Especially when he refers to them as mindless beasts.

Hell, after playing Reach where your mostly quiet Spartan is shown to care, doesn't need to be told what to do all the time, and fight like hell. MC's return, character, and subsequent story is merely hollow.

3: Being one shotted by a quick scoping Promothean rifle that hit my ankle, or oddly consistently being assaulted by a incineration launcher or being hilariously taken out by a boltshot by a dude running around a corner did not improve the experience.

4: The A.I. is a lot dumber. In Reach, it was satisfying to fight, in 4, not so much. While they're not human, they are generally craftier and more challenging. Sure, it's not the best A.I. around, but Reach didn't need to throw bullet-sponge robots at me to threaten me.

I mean, to each his own, but I disagree with you, and above is why. But hey, it's not bad for a new group picking up after Bungie.

DaViller:
I think the first fault was letting 343 actually make the game. I dont think i'll come back to the series unless that one gets fixed, wich will probably be never.

....? Apart from Halo Anniversary this was their first game. I don't think its fair to say that aslong as they make it yoy wont buy it. I mean what if the next Halo was more like the older ones rather than Halo 4?

spartandude:

DaViller:

....? Apart from Halo Anniversary this was their first game. I don't think its fair to say that aslong as they make it yoy wont buy it. I mean what if the next Halo was more like the older ones rather than Halo 4?

I kinda doubt that since halo 4 disappointed me in pretty much every aspect. From the new spartan design, that looked way to skinny compared to previous ones, to the CoD esque multiplayer. I was a pretty much diehard halo fan before but i don't have high expextations of the new game. Pretty much the only thing I liked was the weapon sound design that was the best in the series. Everything else pretty much sucked as far as im concerned, especially 343's rock hard boner, in the form of bright ass light, hanging in my face all the time.

DaViller:

spartandude:

DaViller:

I kinda doubt that since halo 4 disappointed me in pretty much every aspect. From the new spartan design, that looked way to skinny compared to previous ones, to the CoD esque multiplayer. I was a pretty much diehard halo fan before but i don't have high expextations of the new game. Pretty much the only thing I liked was the weapon sound design that was the best in the series. Everything else pretty much sucked as far as im concerned, especially 343's rock hard boner, in the form of bright ass light, hanging in my face all the time.

I wont argue that Halo 4 is really dissapointing (although i do actually like it), im just saying i dont think you should hate the next one purely because it has the 343 logo on it.

spartandude:

DaViller:

spartandude:

I wont argue that Halo 4 is really dissapointing (although i do actually like it), im just saying i dont think you should hate the next one purely because it has the 343 logo on it.

If Im gonna end up getting an xbox and the game is good yeah ill definitly play it. But I think the chances of that happening are pretty much zero. Silent hill(well shattered memorys was actually pretty cool), DmC and now Halo, awesome series that changed dev after the old ones where done and then went to shit.

Yes. Yesssss.. Feeling vindicated as someone who'd debated getting it and passed based on two things, and two alone :

1) Jetpacks not what they are in Reach.

2) No firefight mode.

I hadn't been a big fan of the series prior to Reach but g*damn if they didn't nail the franchise with that iteration (for me). Anything they took away simply translated into, 'less than.'

As a longtime fan of the series, here's what I'm going to say on H4: Yhatzee was right. The game certainly has it's redeeming points, and props to the storywriters who managed to do about as good a job as you can making an 8ft tall cyborg death machine seem like a character with emotion that can feel pain and loss. The Mantis was also pretty fun, but it will never compare to blowing everything away in an Atlas with AC-20s and all (Sorry 343 but Battletech beat you to the part of my heart that would marry a 'Mech if it could). But everything else was kind of meh. Most of the campaign just seemed like a filler episode. Actually, that's a great way to describe it - H4's campaign was a filler episode. And although a lot of people are kind of beat up about the fact that MS is now just milking the Halo cash cow after we were supposed to have "finished the fight", and to be fair, that is true, Halo's lore actually justifies a continuation of the series. The original mission of the Spartan program has yet to be fulfilled, and the Insurrection could definitely be a good plotpoint to make games on, IF DONE RIGHT. And that's a BIG "if". To make that plotpoint work, to make a game that would truely justify being more than just another cash cow release, the story is going to have to be top notch. But it could work.

I'm not going to use the excuse of "this is 343's first game" because it technically isn't. Many of the employees of 343 were on Bungie's Halo dev team, who didn't want to abandon their project. But they do need time to test the waters with what they can and can't do, and they need to build up some funds. MS needs to know that 343 hasn't lost any profit potential, 343 needs to know they can release something, and the community needs to know that 343 is there for them. Also, there's the fact that the market for shooters, especially console shooters, has definitely changed, and it's hard to ignore CoD's numbers when the higher-ups from MS review the proposal for a game. Now that they have Halo 4 under their belt, H5 will probably be at least a little bit better.

Although for my two cents, there seems to be a thing with Halo games that every odd numbered game does well, and every even numbered game kind of sucks arse.

Also, even if only for campaign, bring back the Halo 1 magnum. Something's been missing from every Halo since then, and I think it's that feeling of 3-shotting a Hunter with a puny Human pistol.

This was the game where they added killstreaks right?

Hahaha fuck 343 so hard. They have no idea what they're doing, they're just copying.

The biggest mistake was trying to make it call of duty. Sprint, killstreaks, loadouts?
What was good about CoD doesn't belong in Halo, and vise versa.

Can we please stick with having different multiplayer experiences instead of just the copying and proliferation of the "CoD like" we've seen in recent years.

The game's biggest failure gameplay wise was the Codification of it. CoD has spent years ripping off Halo (or the stuff it made popular) so ripping off CoD is like a bizarre shit circle.

It's biggest failure was letting the script be comprised of fan fiction, bad fan fiction.

spartandude:

DaViller:

343 Industries has lead a one company crusade to completely ruin Halo. Gameplay wise they clearly couldn't give two shits as evident of 4 just being a Codified glitchfest wearing a Halo skin. Storywise they've only ever did one thing remotely right and that was Cortana's rampancy. Besides the horrible ending of Halo 4 it was handled quite nicely. If you look up anything else 343 has allowed to happen in the Halo universe you'd see how much fan fiction they're spewing into an otherwise pretty solid foundation.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here