Notch Turns Down Free Games From Sony, Buys Them Himself

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Notch Turns Down Free Games From Sony, Buys Them Himself

Notch is the kind of person that gets offered loads of free stuff, it seems - but that doesn't mean he has to take it.

It's no secret that Sony has been doing its best to befriend indie developers, and Markus "Notch" Persson is about as high-profile as you can get while still keeping the "indie" label. So when Notch tweeted that he was about to pick up a PS4, Sony's VP of Publisher & Developer Relations Adam Boyes wasted no time in offering Notch his selection of PlayStation games. Notch's response: no thanks, he'd rather reward the developers and buy them on his own.

"I have a fun project, a PS4 is waiting for me, it's Formal Friday at Mojang, and it's our glöggpremiär," Notch tweeted. "It's going to be the best day ever."

For those wondering, glöggpremiär means it's time to break out the Christmas-time wine - but that isn't the part of the tweet that caught Boyes' attention. "Send me a list of games you want and I'll see what I can do!" he offered. Notch politely declined:

From the sound of it, Notch certainly doesn't have anything against Sony or its offer - but as a game developer, it's an understandable decision. Besides, Notch can certainly afford to buy a game or two, after the success story that was Minecraft. Minutes later, however, Notch swallowed his pride and did request one game. "Wait, changing my answer," he tweeted. "Half-Life 3."

Source: Twitter

Its not like he needs to be handed free stuff, I mean, thats what the money he has is for.

Kind of ironic, once you get famous and wealthy you dont have to spend that money since they give stuff for free

+50 mensch points to Mr. Persson.

Not to say that Sony offering him free games, or him accepting them, would have been inherently wrong. However, I definitely like the attitude (especially from someone who knows what it's like to be a game developer), of 'No. Somebody put a lot of hard work into this, I'm going to make sure that at least some of the money they get for it is coming from me.'

Aw man, glögg. Sweet.

Also, good on Markus. He can certainly afford it with the mountains of cash he's got.

Good on Notch for turning them down and paying for them (as I'm sure he can afford to do), but it reeks of blatant PR grab by Boyes/Sony.

But I'm sure now that he's offered, Boyes can afford to give some free games to some people that aren't multi-millionaires?

Gotta love Notch, the guy gives 10 grand to childs play via desert bus and does this.

Zipa:
Gotta love Notch, the guy gives 10 grand to childs play via desert bus and does this.

he got some kick ass silica gell for that 10grand.

notch is a person that is made of pure awesome

Yes. How very noble of this guy who made millions by creating a single video game.

Exterminas:
Yes. How very noble of this guy who made millions by creating a single video game.

Er, yeah. It is a nice gesture by Notch. Now excuse me while I try to understand how him being successful somehow taints this story.

Gary Thompson:
Why is this news?

Because no one else has this thing called "integrity". You might wanna look that up sometime.

OT: +9001 points for Notch here.

How about giving them to an orphanage or hospital or something? (Or me).

Good on Notch.

The thing I really wanted to say was, where does this come from? A multi millionaire buys a ps4 and somebody at Sony says "ill try and get you free games", but why? Give them to someone who deserves it?

Guess it could be a relations/networking thing but it happens with celebs getting phones and meals etc for free 'cos of who they are. "hey, you're rich and famous, want some free stuff?", the rich don't need gifts!

Nice story and all, but I wanna bring into question this idea that Notch is "indie". If I recall correctly, didn't Notch himself say that he is no longer indie?

Stop the presses guys! a rich guy doesn't need somebody else to buy him games, holy shit why isn't this all over the TV, newspapers and other sites aswell!?

Cognimancer:
Minutes later, however, Notch swallowed his pride and did request one game. "Wait, changing my answer," he tweeted. "Half-Life 3."

That magnificent troll. :D

>tfw Valve releases Half Life 3 at Notch's request

Exterminas:

I'm not entirely sure this warrants a cynical tone, and I usually get off on cynicism.

Now, if the process of him making millions on MineCraft involved shady stuff that hurt and/or ruined a bunch of people's lives, I'd understand it, but as it stands right now, he mostly just seems like he's being a decent chap.

'Tis only logical, he's set for life, he doesn't need free games. As for Sony, you are kiss-asses.

KISS-ASSES!

Simalacrum:
Nice story and all, but I wanna bring into question this idea that Notch is "indie". If I recall correctly, didn't Notch himself say that he is no longer indie?

Did he sell the company, become publicly traded or otherwise gain dependency on a publisher?

I think people are starting to change the meaning of indie which, for my part, means independent development.

It just feels weird to me to say, "Your assets and income have crossed this threshold, you are no longer considered independent".

His motives are pure, but his understanding seems... Missing.

If he buys the games, the developers get paid. If Sony buys the games and gives them to him, the developers get paid.

If Sony steals the games (which it wouldn't), only then do the developers not be paid.

I think this is a publicity stunt.

-Dragmire-:

Simalacrum:

Did he sell the company, become publicly traded or otherwise gain dependency on a publisher?

I think people are starting to change the meaning of indie which, for my part, means independent development.

It just feels weird to me to say, "Your assets and income have crossed this threshold, you are no longer considered independent".

The idea is that indie means you don't have a huge pile of money to throw around. There is probably a more correct word to describe the exact scenario, but kind of unnecessary if we can all understand the spirit of the word instead of taking it at face value.

Two guys in a basement working part-time to support their game development is indie.
Having millions of dollars and your own team to back you up, well it just doesn't have the same vibe now does it?

Anyhoo, I get that everyone likes the guy. He's a good guy.
But is it really necessary to write an article about him for (almost) buying his own games?
I'd be more impressed with the homeless man that saves up cash to support game developers. Where's his article, huh?
Cause he's a goddamn hero!

hooblabla6262:

-Dragmire-:

Simalacrum:

The idea is that indie means you don't have a huge pile of money to throw around. There is probably a more correct word to describe the exact scenario, but kind of unnecessary if we can all understand the spirit of the word instead of taking it at face value.

Two guys in a basement working part-time to support their game development is indie.
Having millions of dollars and your own team to back you up, well it just doesn't have the same vibe now does it?

Out of curiosity, in the hypothetical situation where a millionaire decided to make a game himself but also heavily invested in his creation, would he not be considered indie merely due to his money?

An indie developer who've earned a massive amount of income due to their game selling well, I would say they're an incredibly successful independent developer, no more no less.

Tangent: Not sure how I see an indie publisher though, can that exist? As in a non-publicly traded company with no parent corporation that still acts as a publisher.

lacktheknack:

Cognimancer:
Minutes later, however, Notch swallowed his pride and did request one game. "Wait, changing my answer," he tweeted. "Half-Life 3."

That magnificent troll. :D

>tfw Valve releases Half Life 3 at Notch's request

If there's anyone here that could probably get Valve off their asses and finally making Half-Life 3... Notch alone probably wouldn't be able to pull it off... but I imagine he'd be an integral part of it!

... Honestly, though, that is a pretty lulzy thing he requested.

This story is bad because there are no good targets for me to get worked up and rant about! Every one in this story comes off as a good guy! No fair! Must then attack the news reporter and their idea of 'news'!

OT: There is no HL3, the HL3 is a lie.

Well, that happened.

Is it just me, or is Notch's fifteen minutes of fame up yet? He made a game, got bored of it halfway through, got stinkin' rich, and now he gets to live the good life.

He isn't God, is what I'm saying. However, the media seems to treat him like one. Maybe we should just forget about Notch unless he makes another hit game.

Ugh. Sony just put a sour taste in my mouth, and I don't think it was a lemon drop.

What a worthless PR grab. Fuck Boyles; there are sick children in hospitals who would love to have Knack or some shit free to help distract them from reality, but no. Let's offer games to the multi-millionaire in an attempt to both try and bribe him (I wonder how much ass-kissing they had to do already to get Minecraft to their consoles?), but also try and score cool points with the indie crowd.

Good on Notch to refuse (he just gained back a little of the massive amounts of respect he'd already lost from me), and fuck you, Boyles.

Some guy at Sony politely offered to give him some stuff for a holiday. Notch politely turned down the offer. That's uh... that's cool I guess.

At least I know no one here on the great, level-headed community that is the Escapist will make an enemy out of anyone in this article. Welp, now to read the comments! =D

Shit!

BX3:

At least I know no one here on the great, level-headed community that is the Escapist will make an enemy out of anyone in this article. Welp, now to read the comments! =D

Shit!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!!!!
My thought exactly!

I mean WTF Escapist!??!?!?!!

C'mon, it might be a try for publicity from Sony and getting the trademark "look, Notch plays these games"
And Notch has a certain ethic being "If I want something, then I buy it. Unless someone/good friend gives it to me as a bday/xmas present"

Let the poor fellows be, and maybe someone thinks this is stupid news, but with them posting this on Twitter it's up for grabs to make an article (which probaby didn't take more than - find news - write for 10 minutes - post news -)
And this is a gaming site, Boyes and Notch, last I checked, are pretty big names in the gaming world, tweeting about games --> Article!

We write about a lot more silly stuff on this site than this.

Aaaand... how is this news?
I know that the escapist reports on some ridiculously trivial things on this site, but this has to be a record low.
Who cares whether or not someone accepts a free game?

Omeene:

Exterminas:

Er, yeah. It is a nice gesture by Notch. Now excuse me while I try to understand how him being successful somehow taints this story.

I am not saying it taints the story. I don't know notch, he could be a decent guy or not. My point is that it is easy for a person to turn down free stuff once they made their first few millions. I don't get why that is newsworthy. When I read the title I saw "Millionaire turns down free games."

If the story had been "War orphans in Somalia turn down free games" I would have understood the significance.

I'll be severely disappointed if the Sony rep fails to, at some point, respond with: "Clever girl..."

If I had the choice between ~$100 worth of crappy launch titles, and gaining the goodwill of the gaming community I... well... that would actually be a tough choice. The gaming community can turn on you in a second for no reason, but free stuff will never go away...

Wow, and people actually gets fooled by this. Money-hungry hypocrite like him, which he has proved over and over again, actually has people thinking he is a decent guy...

I still think a "gaming celebrity" should use such an opportunity for actual charity. Convince the Sony folks to do something useful rather than giving a guy who has a bunch of money more goods. Would make for better PR for Sony, too, than trying to give it to Notch.

Omeene:

As someone else already said (though in different context):

Cid SilverWing:
Because no one else has this thing called "integrity".

It's sad because Notch stands out so much for his integrity, not because of how truly awesome he is (and he is, don't get me wrong), but because of how tragically un-awesome "everyone else" seems to be.

OT: Huh. Cool. Good for both of you, and thank you Sony for reaching out to Notch. Maybe the two of you together can convince Valve to finish work on Half-Life 3 before it becomes the next Duke Nukem Forever. I mean, worst-case scenario (on release) sees Half-Life 3 on par with Mass Effect 3, right?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here