Ex-Sony Dev: Wii U Won't Last Another Christmas

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Ex-Sony Dev: Wii U Won't Last Another Christmas

super mario 3d world

Kenny Linder believes that "nobody gives a s***" about Mario

Kenny Linder, a former member of the now defunct Sony-owned Bigbig Studios, recently took to NeoGAF to offer a few choice words on the state of Nintendo's Wii U. His rant was focused on Nintendo's decision to release Super Mario 3D World at the same time as the PS4's UK release, claiming that "nobody gives a s***" about Mario and predicting that the Wii U won't even last another Christmas after this coming one.

"Releasing [Super Mario 3D World] the same day as PS4 in UK/EU wasn't wise. The frustrating thing was this game was probably ready to go in October. I think retail and the market will push Nintendo in a direction whether they like it or not."

Linder worries that with retail stores having four major consoles (PS3/4, 360/One), as well as the 3DS/2DS to push, Wii U may get bumped from the shelves at some point in the future. "If it goes from shelves, it will be finished," he claims, adding "I am still confident in my crazy mind that Wii U will not see another Christmas after this one."

He says that future games in development for the console will simply be axed, or moved to a different platform.

"Also, I haven't seen a single Mario 3D World advert on UK TV," says Linder, proposing that Mario's poor performance was due to lack-of-interest in the red-hatted plumber. "I wonder if the same gamers who buy Nintendo home systems (150k of them in UK) are the same gamers that buy PS4/Xbox? That might explain lack of sales this week. Otherwise, nobody gives a s***."

Linder has since edited his original NeoGAF post, but not before Nintendo Life was able to copy it.

Source: NeoGAF via Nintendo Life

What's with all these guys who used to work for Sony coming out of the woodwork to say negative things about Nintendo and the Wii-U? I really want to know. Did they have a traumatic experience with Nintendo and their consoles?

The correct answer is yes man. Sony got into game development due to a kiboshed plan with Nintendo to make a peripheral for their SNES. Sony's entire game division was formed out of a massive grudge towards Nintendo. Shit trickles down folks. As to his statement, I have to say... No. Nintendo treats their customers with respect, a lot more than what I can say with the other guys.

Who is this guy? I've never even heard of Bigbig. Anyhoo I'm playing on both my PS4 and Wii U and am loving them both. From the language he uses, followed by the quick deletion, I'm guessing he may have had one too many at his keyboard.

Sales of Super Mario 3D World in Japan have been pathetic. It's not a good sign when even Nintendo AAA games can't move units.

Same here. I'd have bought the game, but I'm not going to buy a Wii U for it. Time to regroup.

oldtaku:
Sales of Super Mario 3D World in Japan have been pathetic. It's not a good sign when even Nintendo AAA games can't move units.

Same here. I'd have bought the game, but I'm not going to buy a Wii U for it. Time to regroup.

Haven't sales of everything on the WiiU been underwhelming so far anyway?

Which is a shame, I think it's a misconception that Nintendo consoles are only for Mario/Zelda/Metroid, but it's a hard mantle to shake.

Pink Gregory:

Which is a shame, I think it's a misconception that Nintendo consoles are only for Mario/Zelda/Metroid, but it's a hard mantle to shake.

Nintendos poor support of third party developers really doesn't help. By and large, when you buy a Nintendo home console, you are buying it for the first party games.

Handhelds are another matter,though the first party games are still a factor.

I fear that he might be on to something, it will go on for more than a year, but I think this might be a short lived console based on the sales we're seeing now. I keep saying that the problem is that there aren't any games for it, but even with the launch of a new Mario the sales still aren't there. It's important to remember that both the Nintendo 64 and the GameCube were outsold by a massive landslide compared to Sony's sales and the Wii is the first console to go head to head with Sony. We should also consider the fact that the PS3 had a really rocky start too, but eventually managed to overtake Microsoft towards the end (not sure which has sold the most currently). Still, third party support is not there and there are some retailers who have already stopped taking in new consoles.

Personally I love it though and what this guy doesn't consider is that Nintendo is far better at setting budget limits than so many other companies. Bioshock Infinite sold a whole lot and failed to make a profit while a great deal of Nintendo games have sold far less and managed to earn money on it.

It's too soon to judge, but things are looking grim right now. That said, I can't wait for Super Smash Bros!

Darth Rahu:
Nintendo treats their customers with respect, a lot more than what I can say with the other guys.

Yeah. That's why they're the only console manufacturer left who still has region locking despite pleas by customers to abandon it. That's also why they're the only console manufacturer whose digital purchases are tied to the console, not an online account, in which case if said console dies and you didn't back up your purchases, you're S.O.L.

Pink Gregory:

oldtaku:

And with how underpowered the WiiU is along with underwhelming market penetration compared to Xbone and PS4, most major third party mulitplatform games will drop it around the same time as the 360 and PS3.

Darth Rahu:
As to his statement, I have to say... No. Nintendo treats their customers with respect, a lot more than what I can say with the other guys.

I don't think it has anything to do with how Nintendo treats its customers.

The Wii U is performing very poorly, with no signs of turning around. I wouldn't have concluded it myself, but... well, I can certainly see the Wii U dying by next Christmas if it stays like this.

I feel as thought Nintendo's... phoning it in, almost. They aren't really trying. The little third-party support they've had has been (as usual) ignored and unadvertised. But, as Linder said, even 3D World (and Pikmin 3) hasn't been advertised very well. I've only seen one commercial for it. And as far as I know, the only first-party titles on the horizon are Smash Bros. (which will also be on 3DS) and Tropical Freeze.

Nintendo's in a fight and they're barely swinging their fists. No wonder people think they're about to lose.

Meh, yet another bitter dev wishing he's working on a worthwile game, but instead goes to the internet and start ranting yet again about Nintendo.

Also, judging by their Wiki entry, Bigbig Studios doesn't seem like they did something groundbreaking in the first place, so I would take their rants with a grain of salt.

... And the worst part is... he might be right. As much as I love Ninty, it's hard to see them succeed by next christmas, there's barely a few worthwile games for the console and releasing SM3DW around the same time as the Xbone and PS4 was a pretty dismal decision at best.

I wish Ninty the best of luck, but... I fear my wishes are just that at the end of the day.

I'm not counting any chickens or eggs until smash bros releases. If it flops then I might get in bed with this theory, but for now I'm calling rampant cynicism. And I'm one of the people who cannot get behind the need for this stupid tablet controller thing, but... it uses other input.

Captcha: hug me

...Captcha do you have some issues to work out? You're coming across as needy.

Geez. A lot of angry ex devs ranting about the Wii U.

Does the dude even own the console? Has he even developed for it before?

If the answer is no to both of these than why the hell should he care to be honest.

STENDEC1:

Darth Rahu:
Nintendo treats their customers with respect, a lot more than what I can say with the other guys.

Yeah. That's why they're the only console manufacturer left who still has region locking despite pleas by customers to abandon it. That's also why they're the only console manufacturer whose digital purchases are tied to the console, not an online account, in which case if said console dies and you didn't back up your purchases, you're S.O.L.

Yeah...um compared to the other practices that Sony and Microsoft allow third parties to indulge in these are minor inconveniences at worse.

If Region locking and a stupid digital account system (that they recently announced they just fixed anyway) is the only real problem you have with Nintendo then I would say they have a B+ in terms of consumer respect.

If anything it just demonstrates just how egotistical people are when it comes to the hobby of video games now. I mean now you have an entire generation that are now full grown adults, most likely with kids and a full time job and can't really budget the time to play video games anymore. They have also accepted the "mini-van" console that is the XBONE and PS4. They have new demands and also demand that the content of their games are more "mature" and not appear childish. They want that feeling that they the games they play are more mature and not look like the are the adult in the children's section of the public library.

Certainly it is a good thing to as one grows up demand more complicated content. However, as we grow we are quick to insult, and mock the content we enjoyed when we were younger because people don't want to be seen as that false image of the "man-child".

Does nintendo have major problems? Oh certainly. They need to do an aggressive marketing campaign like they did with the Wii. The Wii got a TON of marketing behind it by Nintendo. As for the software, it's two fold. Part of the problem is Nintendo not securing original content from developers both big publishers and indies. But the other problem is just from the developers themselves. I mean we are finally in a full 720P console generation. Yes the hardware is different but that is up to the developer to optimize their games. The other half is actually understanding that they can develop their games using JUST the Pro controller. Which was the same problem developers for the Wii didn't get. They could of used the classic controller to develop their games instead of wiimote and nunchuck. If they take the time to get some SDKs out in the hand of developers and secure some games as exclusives then they might have a shot.

He is sort of right about three things though:-

1) The Wii U is already being taken off shelves in some non game-specific brick and mortar retailers.
2) In the UK Nintendo are doing almost no marketing at all, adverts in newspapers, magazines and across most TV channels are filled with adverts for the XBox 360, Xbox One, PS4, PS3 and games for them and Nintendo barely have anything.
3) Launching a single new game with zero marketing in the face of the new consoles from Sony and Microsoft was doomed to fail.

Dragonbums:
If Region locking and a stupid digital account system (that they recently announced they just fixed anyway) is the only real problem you have with Nintendo then I would say they have a B+ in terms of consumer respect.

Which won't get you anywhere if you don't give a good reason or two for consumers to buy your system. The hard truth is, if you want to be successful as a company, you need to excel at more fronts than just one or two.

Arnoxthe1:

Dragonbums:

Which won't get you anywhere if you don't give a good reason or two for consumers to buy your system. The hard truth is, if you want to be successful as a company, you need to excel at more fronts than just one or two.

This has nothing to do with people buying their system.

I was addressing the OP in the fact that he was implying Nintendo was no better than Sony and Microsoft in consumer respect department because of region locking- which is an inconvenience at best rather than anything anti consumer, and a now the lack of a unified account system (which is now fixed and being improved upon)

Well, he does give enough of a s*** to have a hissy fit over it.

STENDEC1:

Darth Rahu:

The fanboy's logic is "They haven't done anything to me yet, therefore they're the best company in the world!".

WiiU isn't going anywhere, it's a shame, it seems an amusing console, continues to gimmicky trend of Nintendo stuff.

Not going to buy it however.

Simply no games for anyone who didn't grow up with an N64 in the 90s.

But dont you people know? The Wii-U has allready won the console war! Our lord and savior jim sterling himselfe said so!

With how poor the Wii U sales go its no surprise that people take potshots at it, however i doubt nintendo will let it die that quickly, they will drag it along for a bit like they did for the gamecube most likely.

Karadalis:
But dont you people know? The Wii-U has allready won the console war! Our lord and savior jim sterling himselfe said so!

With how poor the Wii U sales go its no surprise that people take potshots at it, however i doubt nintendo will let it die that quickly, they will drag it along for a bit like they did for the gamecube most likely.

With any facetiousness/snark aside, that's not what he said. He said that in his opinion the Wii-U won the next-gen console launch, then said the rest of the "war" itself could turn out rather differently.

OT: Nintendo aren't going down that easily. It's possible that the Wii-U will, but my guess is it'll stick around.

I just don't know how Nintendo is going so wrong with the Wii U, yes it's sales aren't what the competition are, but that didn't stop the Gamecube releasing terrific games, most 1st party but that didn't matter.

It just seems like they pushed the Wii U out WAY too early, they had no games ready... not even close to being ready.
Where was/is:
Mario Kart
Mario Party
New Zelda (not a HD remake)
Metroid
Super Smash Bros.
Donkey Kong
Paper Mario
F Zero
3D Mario/luigi game (like luigi's mansion, sunshine or mario 64)

And what happened to the great support by Namco Bandai they used to have back with the Gamecube?
Gives us a Wii U Tales of or another Baten Kaitos

It's not like Nintendo is some small struggling company, I'm sure they can offer incentives to third party devs.

It's like they are thinking "Well, there is no use in releasing games for it because nobody has bought it" but what they don't realize is no-one has bought it because it has no goddamn games, I've thought time and time again about buying one but the only thing I want to play is Wind Waker.

Release some games, and not just 1 'big' one (like the new mario that's selling like crap), release faster and don't expect 1 big release in 8 months to suddenly start moving consoles, while Mario is the face of the company, another Mario platformer is far from a new, exciting game.

Well...that's rather rude and unprofessional.

It's not even that I necessarily disagree with the base ideas some of these Sony folks are throwing around. I feel Nintendo has a lot of learning and evolving to do if they wish to stay relevant (don't quote me to argue about this, please) but they can say these things in a more respectful and professional manner.

Well he contradicted his own statement that 'no one gives a shit' by stating the 150k who do.

It is sad though that quality got trumped by shiny mediocrity, I'm holding off on Xbox One and PS4 until something worthwhile comes out, though I don't disagree that Nintendo needs to have another look at their advertising strategies and getting some more games out that aren't part of their big series'.

Well now, I can't imagine why this guy is an ex dev.

Why is anyone paying attention to this dude? Simply because its an easy 'Nintendo is DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED' headline?

Yawn.

J Tyran:

1) The Wii U is already being taken off shelves in some non game-specific brick and mortar retailers.
2) In the UK Nintendo are doing almost no marketing at all, adverts in newspapers, magazines and across most TV channels are filled with adverts for the XBox 360, Xbox One, PS4, PS3 and games for them and Nintendo barely have anything.
3) Launching a single new game with zero marketing in the face of the new consoles from Sony and Microsoft was doomed to fail.

Aye I can confirm this where I live. My local GAME store has just had a refit for the new consoles, the PS3/4 and 360/Xbone are take up all the walls whilst the Wii U has a single shelving unit to itself in the middle of the room wide enough for four game with about five shelves; the consoles aren't even on display anymore they have a DVD case with a picture of it telling the customer to ask at the counter. hell even PC games have more shelving and the 3DS has a corn of the shop to itself and the Wii itself is no longer on sale and they aren't taking trade-ins for Wii games.

locally, the Wii U is pretty much non-existent in stores.

Oh look another story erroneously implying Sony is bashing Nintendo.

Sony's name has no place in this article, it's just being included to make the story seem more exciting than it is and imply a more bitter relationship between Sony and Nintendo than really exists. Kenny Linder was one dev for Bigbig, a studio that made a total of four games for Sony and has been closed for nearly 2 years, he was not some high level Sony executive making his present day connection to Sony minimal at best.

That aside I suspect, given how few people (myself included) had heard of Kenny Linder, that this is essentially a little stunt to get his name noticed and maybe boost his career a little however his basic point may well be valid; even if he did make it in an exceptionally unprofessional way. Now that the PS4 and XBone are out sales for the Wii U probably aren't going to get any better and there's every chance retailers will start ordering fewer and making less of an effort to sell them. I doubt the Wii U will be 'extinct' by next christmas and saying nobody gives a crap isn't certainly an overstatement but the underlying reasons for saying those things are still valid.

karloss01:

J Tyran:

Aye I can confirm this where I live. My local GAME store has just had a refit for the new consoles, the PS3/4 and 360/Xbone are take up all the walls whilst the Wii U has a single shelving unit to itself in the middle of the room wide enough for four game with about five shelves; the consoles aren't even on display anymore they have a DVD case with a picture of it telling the customer to ask at the counter. hell even PC games have more shelving and the 3DS has a corn of the shop to itself and the Wii itself is no longer on sale and they aren't taking trade-ins for Wii games.

locally, the Wii U is pretty much non-existent in stores.

Its worse than I thought then, I never go to those stores so I didn't know they where sidelining them too. They have pretty much disappeared in ASDA and Tescos, there where rumours that they where even going to stop stocking the games as well.

I think this is going to be an interesting year for gaming, what with the steam box in the works and the new consoles. Lets see what happens in december. All 4 consoles will probably still be there but how they'll be is more interesting. Most likely the wii u will be the weakest though, it has great games coming and I'll probably pick one up but I'm not sure many others will without more incentive not from gaming but from os.

Teoes:

Karadalis:

With any facetiousness/snark aside, that's not what he said. He said that in his opinion the Wii-U won the next-gen console launch, then said the rest of the "war" itself could turn out rather differently.

OT: Nintendo aren't going down that easily. It's possible that the Wii-U will, but my guess is it'll stick around.

Whoops.. you are correct with that.. and i apologize for that. Thought the question rather should be if the wii u is actualy "next gen" because of its limited power compared to both the ps4 and xbox.

Right now it looks more like it only has the power of the ps3/xbox 360

Also nitnendo is still the king of handhelds, no one argues that. But the Wii u does look like it might follow the virtual boy and gamecube route of existance...

Yopaz:
I fear that he might be on to something, it will go on for more than a year, but I think this might be a short lived console based on the sales we're seeing now. I keep saying that the problem is that there aren't any games for it, but even with the launch of a new Mario the sales still aren't there. It's important to remember that both the Nintendo 64 and the GameCube were outsold by a massive landslide compared to Sony's sales and the Wii is the first console to go head to head with Sony. We should also consider the fact that the PS3 had a really rocky start too, but eventually managed to overtake Microsoft towards the end (not sure which has sold the most currently). Still, third party support is not there and there are some retailers who have already stopped taking in new consoles.

I'm afraid the Wii-U has the perfect mix of strikes against it.

It has the lower grade tech and skewing hardware of the Wii, the rocky start of the PS3, and the confussion of whether or not it's just a peripheral. And it's the former that I think is really killing it. Because today's industry wants consoles that are quite close together interms of technical performance, so that porting titles like CoD, GTA, and Battlefield across each system will be easy. You might say this is an issue with the gaming industry overall, and you'd be right, but it still leaves the Wii-U shit out of luck.

The PS3 was stumbling like crazy in its first few years, but it atleast had that promise of being a powerful machine with untapped potential, which kept developer interest.

I've been eyeing the Wii-U myself, if only for the fact that Wind Waker HD looks very appetizing, but beyond that there's nothing I'm too interested in. Even their first-party games, which are always of superb quality, leave me kinda apathetic since it's just the same visual palette we've seen for years now. That new Mario game looks virtually identical to every Mario game that came out in the last 5 years.

He may well be right though it's more accurate to say this will likely be Nintendo's last home console before they realize it'd likely be more profitable to do what sony has done. Their consoles are crap and out side their original IP most of their games aren't that great.

Darth Rahu:

I'll admit the man's statements are rather harsh. I seriously hope that Nintendo doesn't step out of the console arena. Several systems have had rocky starts, but the Wii U isn't out for the count. People have shown interest. And I am quite tempted to pick up Bayonetta 2. I'd almost be pulled over with X (Xeno I've been told) and afew others.

That being said I'm not sure what constitutes as "treating customers with respect". As far as I can see Nintendo, like "the other guys" want your money. They want to sell you something for a profit. They're not giving their systems or games away. They are not investing money into development from the goodness of their hearts. It's a business. How they go about it may differ, but their goal is the same. If you're referring to the lack of a subscription fee or paywall, I'm not sure if that's considered respect or not. No micro transactions or ridiculous priced DLC? I don't think that's disrespectful just tacky. It's okay to like our systems, but let's not paint a smiley face on the people that sell us the product and call them friend. You are customer #323820, and chances are you won't hear from them personally unless you file a complaint or need repairs on your game system. It's kinda like facebook,myspace,etc; people that have millions of likes/friends, but don't know even half of who they are. Being loyal to a company that sees only a $ isn't something I'd promote. Nor the opposite; hating a company for the same reason. A friend of mine refused to buy a PS3 because his Sony TV broke some years back. Yet another gave up on his 360 because of windows 8. Seriously some people take these things far too personally.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here