Steam Greenlights 100 New Titles

Steam Greenlights 100 New Titles

Steam Greenlight Large Logo

The Steam Greenlight has clicked on for another big batch of games.

December 4 is my sister's birthday, so happy birthday to her. More relevant to our interests, however, is that it's also the day that Steam gave the Greenlight to 100 more titles. Look upon their works and despair!

• 3089 - An Action RPG
  • 99 Levels to Hell
  • Abducted
  • Alpha Kimori Great Doubt
  • Aqua Kitty - Milk Mine Defender
  • Arcane Worlds
  • Armed!
  • Avan Stroy
  • Bardbarian
  • Beware Planet Earth!
  • BlackSoul
  • Bloom: Memories
  • Captain Morgane and The Golden Turtle
  • CDF Ghostship
  • Coma: Mortuary
  • Company of Heroes: Eastern Front
  • Consortium
  • continue?9876543210
  • Conversion
  • Critical Point: Incursion
  • Deathfire: Ruins of Nethermore
  • Dex
  • Dragons and Titans
  • Dragons' Odyssey
  • Drakerz-Confrontation
  • Driftmoon
  • EF-12 - 3D FTG Maker
  • Enola
  • EvilQuest
  • Final Rush
  • FootLOL: Epic Fail League
  • Frogatto & Friends
  • Full Bore
  • Geekbench 2
  • Girls Like Robots
  • Global Outbreak
  • Go! Go! Nippon! ~My First Trip To Japan~
  • Grapple
  • Gridiron Solitaire
  • Guerrilla Bob
  • Guns N Zombies
  • Guts!
  • High Strangeness
  • Ichi
  • Imagia
  • Imagine Nations
  • Interference
  • International Racing Squirrels
  • Kingz Online
  • Krautscape
  • La Tale
  • Light
  • Major Mayhem
  • Malevolence: The Sword of Ahkranox
  • Mansion Lord
  • Masters of the World - Geopolitical Simulator 3
  • Masterspace
  • Mitsurugi Kamui Hikae
  • Mobiloid
  • Modulate
  • Monster Shooter
  • Mr. Bree+
  • Muffin Knight
  • Narcissu 1st & 2nd
  • Of Light & Shadow
  • One Finger Death Punch
  • Organic Panic
  • Out of the Park Baseball 14
  • Out There Somewhere
  • Paper Sorcerer
  • Pitiri 1977
  • Pixel Piracy
  • Potatoman Seeks the Troof
  • Probably Archery
  • Red Baron
  • Residue
  • Rooks Keep
  • Saturday Morning RPG
  • Scraps
  • Skyjacker
  • Spacecom
  • Spellirium
  • Sprite Lamp
  • Stasis - 2D Isometric, Point & Click, Sci-fi Horror Adventure Game
  • Super Code Webpage Developer
  • The DyVox Sandbox
  • The Girl and the Robot
  • The Last Door - Season One
  • The Stomping Land
  • Tower of the Gorillion
  • TowerClimb
  • Turbo Dismount
  • Unearthed: Trail of Ibn Battuta
  • Victory: The Age of Racing
  • Villagers and Heroes
  • War of the Human Tanks
  • Wayward
  • WazHack
  • Wyv and Keep
  • Zombie Grinder

It's not exactly a who's who of world-beating games, but there's some promising stuff in there including Bloom: Memories, Consortium, Mr. Bree+, Spellirium, Stasis and The Girl and the Robot; The Last Door is also quite good and already available in its entirety online. Residue, on the other hand, is just full-on terrible, and I'm not sure what the status of Red Baron is at this point, given that the Kickstarter recently fell through. The rest I have no idea about - anyone else?

As always, the Greenlight is simply a step in the process, and each game will actually launch on Steam on its own schedule.

Source: Steam

I voted yes on EF-12 just a few days ago. Good to see it greenlit, I feel it has potential. Plus it could really benefit from the Steam workshop.

No Ikaruga yet?... if anyone needs me, I'll be in the angry dome.

I was worried that my theory Steam Greenlight would start to turn Steam into the iOS App Store was wrong. Glad to see I was right after all.

No, actually, I'm not.

No mention of One Finger Death Punch in the promising games list? Allow me to join SupahGamuh in the angry dome.

SupahGamuh:

Errr, Ikaruga got greenlit in early October.

http://steamcommunity.com//sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=184523004

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=183195387

Ah, I spy Potatoman Seeks The Troof. Jolly good.

You know, Valve needs to just drop this system now. They've already dropped any true pretense of this aiding in "weeding out" undesirable games, because all they ever do now is "100 in" announcements only. At least with saying "10-20 games made it in" at least sounds like they kept the rabble out.

Either way, others have already come out and said this system is a joke, and Valve seems quite aware of this fact as well but refuse to really do anything about it.

I'm just glad that GoD Factory (AKA the most kickass space combat game I've ever played) made it in the previous batch, and I'm VERY anxiously awaiting the time when I can play it again.

Ed130:

SupahGamuh:

Errr, Ikaruga got greenlit in early October.

http://steamcommunity.com//sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=184523004

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=183195387

... Really?... whoops... I missed those news somehow... then... let me change the image to this

I only voted once for Greenlight and it's here. The Stomping Land :)

DayZ with dinossaurs, how can someone not like it?

Hey man, I can only speak to games I'm actually aware of, and as cursedseishi said, with Valve admitting 100 games at a time on an almost bimonthly basis, there's no way to keep up with it at all. (I'm also inclined to agree that the idea of this being a filtration system to ensure that only the good stuff gets on Steam is long ago out the window.)

leet_x1337:
No mention of One Finger Death Punch in the promising games list? Allow me to join SupahGamuh in the angry dome.

Get out of the Angry Dome, One Finger Death Punch is in the list.

"Go! Go! Nippon! ~My First Trip To Japan~"

If I recall correctly, this has some risque elements to it. It's a Japanese "visual novel" made for export, to explain elements of Japanese culture.

Naturally, this is accomplished by placing you in the shoes of a high school boy exchange student staying with a pair of attractive sisters - one girly, one a tomboy, as is contractually obligated in these things.

I see that War of the Human Tanks was finally greenlit, sweet.

TowerClimb is a game that makes me feel happy inside. Glad to see some good games coming of Greenlight every once in a while.

Andy Chalk:
(I'm also inclined to agree that the idea of this being a filtration system to ensure that only the good stuff gets on Steam is long ago out the window.)

It never was a filtration system for quality. A poor game could receive enough votes simply from concept and advertising. Day One: Garry's Incident was greenlit before Steam started greenlighting huge bunches. Not to mention War Z/Infestation: Survivor Stories being allowed to skip the greenlight process despite being obviously inferior having a metacritic score of 20.

The reason for Greenlight was that Valve initially didn't have enough resources or system in place to get a lot of games on to Steam. Greenlight was simply a means to prioritize which software could conceivably sell while turning a mostly blind eye to the quality of the product.

There are however, a lot of good games (particularly niche ones) that currently wouldn't be on Steam if Valve hadn't opened the floodgates.

....Somebody made a game called FootLOL: Epic Fail League

and it's going to be on Steam

why

Sweet! Full Bore finally got Greenlit. I backed that game and it's incredibly engaging, never quite played a puzzle game like it.

CBanana:
It never was a filtration system for quality. A poor game could receive enough votes simply from concept and advertising. Day One: Garry's Incident was greenlit before Steam started greenlighting huge bunches. Not to mention War Z/Infestation: Survivor Stories being allowed to skip the greenlight process despite being obviously inferior having a metacritic score of 20.

There's no question it's a filter. It may have failed in its intended purpose (and I think we're rapidly approaching the point where that's no longer a matter of debate) but the simple fact is that it sets (or was intended to set) a threshold to entry. Given that Valve insists that it's not the only arbiter of whether or not a game gets on Steam, however, and the fact that literally hundreds of games are now getting the green on a regular basis, I'd say it's not so much a question of success or failure, but one of relevance. If it's not serving as a gatekeeper, then what exactly is the point?

DarklordKyo:

leet_x1337:

Get out of the Angry Dome, One Finger Death Punch is in the list.

I said the 'promising games' list. In future, please read entire posts before hitting quote.

Yet again no panzer corps... and the mandate didnt make it either?

Somehow this got through:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/261980/

Its just two Half Life maps, yeah...

Finally International Racing Squirrels is getting Greenlit! As silly as it sounds, I was addicted to it on Kongregate a while back.

cyber95:
....Somebody made a game called FootLOL: Epic Fail League

and it's going to be on Steam

why

Hey, don't knock on it because of the name! It's a fun game if a bit weird. Instead of playing the football players themselves you use various abilities to hinder the opposition and help your own players.

Andy Chalk:
Hey man, I can only speak to games I'm actually aware of, and as cursedseishi said, with Valve admitting 100 games at a time on an almost bimonthly basis, there's no way to keep up with it at all. (I'm also inclined to agree that the idea of this being a filtration system to ensure that only the good stuff gets on Steam is long ago out the window.)

Actually it still is. See what counts as 'good' is entirely subjective. Just like what is considered bad. I mean to this day I consider FF6 to be a miserab;ly bad game and FF8 to be even worse. Bust some people out there thought those were good games. All these titles managed to get the votes of people on steam so why shouldn't they be listed? I mean there supermarket has tons of crap I don't buy and tons of brands I don't by. But someone obviously buys them.

All being greenlit does is get the games a space on the shelf and if only.

Greenlight isn't a filter for how 'good' a game is, it's more a predictive litmus of 'how many people will buy this game' or in other words; interest.

SupahGamuh:

You mean Ikaruga, as in the game that got Greenlit 2 months ago?

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here