U.K. Teen Buys $735 Photo of Xbox One on eBay

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

A U.K. teenager is "furious" after paying $735 for a picture of an Xbox One on eBay.

Peter Clatworthy, a 19-year-old from Nottingham in the U.K., thought he'd purchased an Xbox One on eBay for Ģ450 - about $735 - for his four-year-old son. What he received, however, was a photo of an Xbox One with "Thank you for your purchase!" written on the back. He was, of course, outraged.

"I looked at the seller's feedback and there was nothing negative. I bought it there and then because I thought it was a good deal," he told the Nottingham Post. "It's obvious now I've been conned out of my money."

Except it wasn't entirely a con: Clatworthy acknowledged that the eBay listing stated that the item was in fact a photograph. But because it was in the proper category, he thought it was legit and so went ahead with the purchase.

Luckily for Clatworthy, because the photo was listed in the incorrect category (and, I would guess, because of all the attention the matter has received), eBay has issued him a full refund via PayPal, and also banned the seller from the site. An eBay representative noted that PayPal guarantees a refund if a product doesn't match its description or gets lost in the mail and added, "Our main tips for buying online generally this Christmas is make sure you're getting a good deal, know who you're dealing with and protect your personal and financial information."

And, you know, maybe pay a little attention to what it is you're actually buying.

Source: Nottingham Post

not surprising considering this guy's stupid enough to have a child at 15

He should have read the fine print, but selling a photo for 735 dollars. That guy was definitely running some kind of con.

Andy Chalk:

Peter Clatworthy, a 19-year-old from Nottingham in the U.K., thought he'd purchased an Xbox One on eBay for Ģ450 - about $735 - for his four-year-old son.

Italics are mine. Did that stick out to anyone else? Good lord, the idea of 15-year-old fathers frightens me. I know there are worse stories out there, but I'm not much older than this guy and I am in no way ready for that kind of responsibility.

Anyways, I'm glad he got his money back, but I wouldn't have been surprised if he didn't. The seller actually had the nuts to list it as a photograph, so he's really lucky that it was in the wrong category, I guess.

EDIT: So apparently someone else noticed it before I clicked post.

Good for Ebay giving this guy a full refund. That is positive customer service especially during the holiday season. Nobody should be taken advantage of or lose that much money during this time of the year.

I noticed and immediately called BS on the old "it's for my kid" line. That is probably the tear jerker hook he used thinking it would increase ebay's chances of paying him back.

You know, I actually agree with the conman on this one. If you're willing to put down $735 on something before checking for shenanigans like this, then you deserve to be taught a lesson. Although as I didn't see the listing, perhaps it was a bit difficult to tell.

Also, is that actually how much an Xbone is going for in the UK?

Yeah this guy basically is an idiot.

Got a kid at age 15, scammed into buying a picture, itīs good to say this whole thing was bound to happen sooner or later. Itīs a good thing it was an Xbox and not a job offer at a fake company that had him `invest` money into a partnership. If not for the technicality the money would have been lost.

Tenmar:
Good for Ebay giving this guy a full refund. That is positive customer service especially during the holiday season. Nobody should be taken advantage of or lose that much money during this time of the year.

I disagree. Natural selection has got to survive in some form or another. This guy is clearly not smart enough to have that kind of money (even if he had got what he thought he was paying for...he still claims to be buying a $735 console for a 4-year-old). Maybe the con man would make better use of the money.

Avaholic03:

Tenmar:

I disagree. Natural selection has got to survive in some form or another. This guy is clearly not smart enough to have that kind of money (even if he had got what he thought he was paying for...he's still buying a $735 console for a 4-year-old). Maybe the con man would make better use of the money.

Frost27:
I noticed and immediately called BS on the old "it's for my kid" line. That is probably the tear jerker hook he used thinking it would increase ebay's chances of paying him back.

Yeah... 19 year old dad. i'd think he'd have other things that require $700+. His kid my ass. what games are there for a 4 year old in the xbone library... heck can a 4 year old even properly grip the controller? Yeah. not saying he doesn't have a kid but this is clearly something for himself. I wonder how the his babymother feels about that?

Seriously though: READ THE FINE PRINT.

No 1080p, 0/10

Ebay is a funny place, and once again proves why I will only buy things there when the legit companies are over-pricing shit like there's no tomorrow.

Haha... in Scotland, having a baby at 15 is kind of like having a baby at all in Japan. Very rare. Expect younger, much younger even. The sex ed courses here are ridiculous. Besides, it said it was a photograph. I don't even know how to respond to this other than laughing my ass off that this stupid kid (who has had a kid) bought a piece of paper.

The tragic part is that stuff like that happens everyday around here.

I don't think it was a con. If the seller said it was literally just a picture of an Xbox One, then so be it. The same thing happened when the 360 launched as well. A few people were selling only the box for the 360. They made it very clear that it was just a box, not the system, and people still paid absurd amounts of money for it. If the seller said it was just a picture and not the system itself, that blame falls solely on the buyer.

Now, if the seller didn't make it clear (which it sounds like it did say it was just a picture), then yeah, that's a scam. I would like to see the listing myself personally and see what it says.

Hey, the kid was overtaken by his hormonal urges and fucked up when he was a stupid teenager (we were ALL stupid teenagers once), cut him some slack. The way you people berate someone who is trying to be responsible for his actions is pathetic. He's being a good father and getting his kid an Xbox One, that's more than enough in this day and age where far too many kids don't even grow up with a father at all. Good on him, and I'm glad he got his money back.

....unless of course, the flip side of this story, is that this guy is full of shit and getting it for himself and just using his son as a sap story to gain empathy and get his money back.

In which case, fuck him.

Daaaah Whoosh:
You know, I actually agree with the conman on this one. If you're willing to put down $735 on something before checking for shenanigans like this, then you deserve to be taught a lesson. Although as I didn't see the listing, perhaps it was a bit difficult to tell.

Also, is that actually how much an Xbone is going for in the UK?

Ģ430 on amazon so pretty close.

About as bad as the guy who spent his life savings (of $2600) to win a Xbox 360 but gets a giant banana instead or the infamous P P P powerbook

Atleast Ebay is not being complete dicks about the whole thing

Wait, a 19-year-old is a "teen" now? ...what's the legal age of majority in the UK, again? NEVERMIND, I always saw teenagers as being under the legal age of majority but apparently anything with "teen" in the name is a teenager. Or so have a dozen people who can't even check if anyone replied said.

...and he's buying it for his four year old son? I...

...there are things about this news article. Things that are wrong, and in more than one way.

Jaeger_CDN:
About as bad as the guy who spent his life savings (of $2600) to win a Xbox 360 but gets a giant banana instead

From that article, it seems he wasn't even playing to get an Xbox 360 system, just an Xbox KINECT; which is even sadder, somehow. I wouldn't get an Xbox Kinect if it was free, let alone for thousands of dollars.

Back on topic, I feel they should not have refunded his money, quite frankly. Wrong category or not, if it stated it was a photograph and he acknowledge that he KNEW it said that it was a photograph, then he should have known that, I don't know, that it was going to be a photograph? Thus he knew what he was paying for, he's a severe idiot, or both.

My money's on the latter, $735 of my money to be exact.

Why are people hung up on a 19 year old with a 4 year old child? He manned up and owned his shit at an age when most people would likely run from it. You judgmental people and your unqualified opinions.

I'm surprised at how many people defend the scammer, this is not a legal practice nor should it be. The buyers life choices aside, the intent to mislead and con is clear as day, one line saying it's a photo only doesn't change that.

Oh, the comments. Of course everyone latched onto how old this guy was when he became a father. Because life choices have everything to do with getting scammed.

Personally, I just think this is one of these situations where almost all parties are partially in the wrong. This idiot should have read the fine print and contacted the seller instead of shrugging his shoulders, and the seller shouldn't have thought he would get away with selling a photograph in the console section, for the same reasons you don't sell a car in the computer printers section, regardless of whether the item is what it says on the description.

Good on Ebay for not putting up with the scam though.

Sseth:
Hey, the kid was overtaken by his hormonal urges and fucked up when he was a stupid teenager (we were ALL stupid teenagers once), cut him some slack. The way you people berate someone who is trying to be responsible for his actions is pathetic. He's being a good father and getting his kid an Xbox One, that's more than enough in this day and age where far too many kids don't even grow up with a father at all. Good on him, and I'm glad he got his money back.

....unless of course, the flip side of this story, is that this guy is full of shit and getting it for himself and just using his son as a sap story to gain empathy and get his money back.

In which case, fuck him.

I doubt it was for his son. Most four year olds can barely grip the controller.

Aw, come on now.... A UK teen pays in dollars... Really?

This kind of shit has been happening for years, with iphone especially. I even remember a "case" on judge Judy with this exact story line, not about an xbone though.

This old news with a modern twist

As for the very conservative nature of this thread, remember age of consent in the UK is 16. Sure it's still under the age of consent but I'm of the opinion that a very strict age of consent is stupid. (I'm not saying let's start coaxing 13 year olds into sex but what's a couple of months before the age of consent? Like the day before they are 16 they are almost feral but when midnight strikes, they're high class?)

Sniper Team 4:
I don't think it was a con. If the seller said it was literally just a picture of an Xbox One, then so be it. The same thing happened when the 360 launched as well. A few people were selling only the box for the 360. They made it very clear that it was just a box, not the system, and people still paid absurd amounts of money for it. If the seller said it was just a picture and not the system itself, that blame falls solely on the buyer.

Now, if the seller didn't make it clear (which it sounds like it did say it was just a picture), then yeah, that's a scam. I would like to see the listing myself personally and see what it says.

When you try to sell something for $735 and the price is probably worth a few cents then yes we have a con. The seller was obviously trying to get a buyer who would think he/she was buying the actual system and scam him/her. You need to be acting in good faith when forming a contract otherwise it is voidable.

ThatQuietGuy:
I'm surprised at how many people defend the scammer, this is not a legal practice nor should it be. The buyers life choices aside, the intent to mislead and con is clear as day, one line saying it's a photo only doesn't change that.

I don't really think people are defending the scammer, just ridiculing the victim. If it is deserved or not I cannot tell but the little information about him given in the article doesn't make him look smart.
Both scamming attempts and people falling for them (because of varying reasons) shouldn't happen in a perfect world but there will always be people falling for even the plumpest scams.

I have to wonder if the buyer learned anything from this or if he will remain as ignorant as ever.

So let's run off through some key points here on this guy:
1. He had a kid at 15
2. The son that this xbox for is... 4 years old. Because as we all know, that's a GREAT age to start playing really accessible and easy to play kid intelligence level friendly games like... FIFA...
3. He paid 735 USD for a product that is typically 500 dollars
4. He bought the product on ebay

Let's even ignore the fact that he bought it 'for his son', that's EASILY a line of bullshit he spun (or was told to spin by the press) to drum up more publicity.

Scamming is horrible and the people who participate in such actions deserve to have their asses kicked. And while I WANT to say that this kid PROBABLY deserved to learn a lesson in not being stupid (Though after having that kid at 15 and this now, I doubt he will), it's good he got his money back.

But the problem I have here is stupid people getting told that it's okay if they're stupid, because they can find loopholes to make up for it and absolve themselves of any and all responsibility.

ticklefist:
Why are people hung up on a 19 year old with a 4 year old child? He manned up and owned his shit at an age when most people would likely run from it. You judgmental people and your unqualified opinions.

That really doesn't change the fact that he could avoid being in the scenario he's in if he, you know, had better decision making skills.

It's GREAT that he owned up to his decisions, but please do not try and act like that wasn't a stupid decision. Hell, there are people who are twice his age and still struggle with being parents because, let's face it, parenting's not for everyone.

People are judging that factor because it ties into the other carelessness this article brings to light. Kudos on his responsibility for the big and important thing he did raising his kid but... Fuck, you think the guy would be a LITTLE more careful with his money considering he has a CHILD to care for!

Twenty Ninjas:
Wait, a 19-year-old is a "teen" now? ...what's the legal age of majority in the UK, again?

...and he's buying it for his four year old son? I...

...there are things about this news article. Things that are wrong, and in more than one way.

The legal age of majority is 18 over here in the UK, but the term 'teenager' and it's derivatives can apply to anybody aged from 13 to 19. That may be different in other countries.

rofltehcat:
Both scamming attempts and people falling for them (because of varying reasons) shouldn't happen in a perfect world but there will always be people falling for even the plumpest scams.

That doesn't justify blaming the victim. It's no less a fallacy (though obviously it is many degrees less severe) than blaming a rape victim for dressing "like a slut".

Who else but a scammer sells a freaking picture for 735 dollars. The guy is a criminal. Plain as day. And just because someone was dumb enough to fall for a scam does not make the scammer any less of an asshole criminal. But the guy is also a moron. His poor life choices mark him as a moron and it seems that four years with a child hasn't improved his decision-making skills in the slightest.

I'm going to be incredibly harsh and say that the man shouldn't get a refund (except, I guess, it's Paypal company policy). But also, the person who put a picture of an Xbone up for sale in the category and for the price of an actual Xbone should be tracked down and put on trial for criminal charges.

Twenty Ninjas:
Wait, a 19-year-old is a "teen" now?

Sorry, not really about the article but do you even read the words you're typing out? Yes... a nineteen-year-old is still in his teen years... a teenager, if you will. Don't be so foolish...

ThatQuietGuy:

Actually eBay probably would have given precisely zero shits if the picture was listed in the right category. As long as the listing clearly says it is a picture and someone buys it then it is their fault for not reading it thoroughly. The worst you could call it is selling a copyrighted image.

The guy admits that it said it was a picture, but bought it anyway. Brains mustn't run in his family.

ticklefist:

Thank you!

Now I don't want to assume anything about this man based off the small amount of info, but since everyone else seems to be I'll let myself off.

The fact that he has that money to spend (or throw away as many people on this thread suggest) on his son, means he's got a job and is supporting his family, if a man gets berated for that then we are truly lost.

I'd like to see how well the people slating him would deal with that sort of situation.
Teen pregnancy is a big issue in the UK, and a large amount get either aborted or put up for adoption/raised by grandparents.
The fact that this man has owned up to his responsibility at such a young age is enough to earn my respect.

OT:
As for the scam, this sort of thing happens all the time. While you do have to be careful what you buy online, eBay seems to sort this shit out fairly well from what I've seen from this and a few other cases.

Tenmar:

I really disagree. It actually stated that it was a photo of the system. It stated that it was not the system, if he had read the description properly and used his brain, he wouldn't have gotten screwed.

He should be minus the several hundred dollars, so he will pay attention next time.

"I bought it there and then because I thought it was a good deal"

How? That's paying at least $200 more for what was already the most expensive next gen console. That doesn't make any sense to me at all.

the dude is 19 and has a 4 year old kid ? sums it up to be honest. Really you should see some of these people its amazing they get threw the day without killing themselves. God i hate my country

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here