U.K. Teen Buys $735 Photo of Xbox One on eBay

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

In defence of this 19-year old father of a 4-old apparently, most ebay listings are terribly written and often difficult to understand due to shitty spelling or punctuation so yes, it's not that hard to end up buying something other than intended. It happened to me as well, though not with this magnitude.

And honestly, feel free to sell a picture of your (x)bone on ebay for how much you like, but list it under art > photography or something and not video games > consoles.

Anyway I was trying to search ebay for 'xbox one photograph' within sold listings whether it's possible to found this one.

But I found better stuff.

EightGaugeHippo:

The fact that he has that money to spend (or throw away as many people on this thread suggest) on his son, means he's got a job and is supporting his family, if a man gets berated for that then we are truly lost.

Actually, the article quite clearly states that he is a student. While I know that students also hold down jobs (I did), I think it's fair to say that he will be getting state help to care for his son.

OT:

What I wont do is question his parental skills as I don't know him personally. Yes 15 may be too young to be a father but as has been pointed out it's clear he is doing his best. I used to work with a complete and utter divvy who I hated but he worshipped his son and was a good Dad so people using his apparent lack of brains / common-sense to judge him as a father is bang out of order. The fact he is a student makes me think that he's trying to better himself and who can honestly complain about that?

But...

The guy admitted that he saw the text that said the auction was for a photo and that he had doubts about it and yet he STILL coughed up the cash. Had he lost his money it would have been harsh but sometimes it's the only way people will learn. I am also going to call BS on the fact that it was "for his son" - 4 year-olds are not into video games! 4 year-old children are into biscuits, cartoon pigs and getting snot everywhere.

With that in mind, I grudgingly admit that would still rather see him get his money back because I loathe scammers and con-men/women (let's not be sexist!), especially when they prey on people at this time of year. I know it's nothing new and I've seen it all before. These "people" know that other people go a bit ga-ga over the latest gadgets and are willing to pay over the odds for them. While I generally think that someone who camps out for an iPhone or is willing to fork out 450 for an XBONE when they have misgivings need help, I will always also think that I would like to set fire to the scammer in question.

Someone mentioned a Judge Judy episode in which two women sold a "phone" which turned out to be a picture of the phone. I think I saw the same one and, although the description said it was a picture of the phone, it was buried in text and they also included the stats of the real phone, which gave the weight, dimensions etc., which is where they fell flat as the photo had none of those attributes and the duped buyer won her case. The disgruntled seller kept on repeating that they said it was a photo but they were clearly on the make and while I agreed that they (the buyer) should read things more clearly, I was also doing an imaginary "ass-hole!" chant in my head.

I suppose the lesson that needs to be learned (although quite how it's not sunk in yet after so long is beyond me) is that if something seems too good to be true, it is.

At least he can say he didn't fork out over $7000 for the box, as one report on this mentioned as a comparison.

Ah, classical eBay prank.

Also 19y old buys console for 4y old son?
There is just so much wrong with this.
And of course I'll buy that he "bought it for his son"

captcha: creative process
dammit, stop making fun of this guy, only because he was "creative" at 15y

I knew people in this country were getting stupider, and this is a sad case. Paid over the odds, a child at 15 and he chose an Xbone......very very sad indeed :p

Plus, "Clatworthy acknowledged that the eBay listing stated that the item was in fact a photograph"........riiiiiiight. Well, we'll be seeing this guy on Jeremy Kyle in a few years I guess, he has all the signs and potential of a future specimen.

The only lesson he learned today is that people will make up for his mistakes and he will live on being less careful than he was before.

But stupid people are easy to con, so why would I want them to be smarter?

EDIT Wait, did the con-guy get to keep the money? If so, then this is all bad. Not only does this show people you can make stupid ass mistakes and get off easy, but you can also con people and get away with it too XD

Avaholic03:

Tenmar:
Good for Ebay giving this guy a full refund. That is positive customer service especially during the holiday season. Nobody should be taken advantage of or lose that much money during this time of the year.

I disagree. Natural selection has got to survive in some form or another. This guy is clearly not smart enough to have that kind of money (even if he had got what he thought he was paying for...he still claims to be buying a $735 console for a 4-year-old). Maybe the con man would make better use of the money.

I agree, I was so upset when I heard this idiot got a refund, it was far too obvious that he was only buying a photo and he deserved to pay if he was this foolish. Most of the time I don't support screwing people over but this is a situation I can get behind, a teenager with a four year old has no business wasting 700+ on a gaming device anyway, eBay should have issued the refund in the form of two college funds for daddy and his son, if they go to college, chances are eBay would never even have to pay out the cash in that case.

SILENTrampancy:
The only lesson he learned today is that people will make up for his mistakes and he will live on being less careful than he was before.

But stupid people are easy to con, so why would I want them to be smarter?

EDIT Wait, did the con-guy get to keep the money? If so, then this is all bad. Not only does this show people you can make stupid ass mistakes and get off easy, but you can also con people and get away with it too XD

lol if only you were from the UK and listend to all the tory con bullshit those bunch of conners con us brits.con con con

Yeah, I remember being four years old and my dad bought me a five hundred dollar voice activated computer. Doesn't everyone's parents do that for them when they're first learning to talk?

Kyogissun:

3. He paid 735 USD for a product that is typically 500 dollars

SilverUchiha:
"I bought it there and then because I thought it was a good deal"

How? That's paying at least $200 more for what was already the most expensive next gen console. That doesn't make any sense to me at all.

Psst... hey guys, I've got a secret for you. Come in real close now, lend me your ear...

YES, 700+ DOLLARS! Thanks for reaffirming the unfair business practices apparent in other countries. Did you not see the reveal prices? Well, just for you, because you didn't do a single drop of research or pay attention AT ALL:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2zslQ9PWPQ

I really don't know how you missed it... the E3 Press Conference was kind of a big deal. Basically, The price for Xbox One was set at 429. Yes, he paid a little bit more, probably because he thought he was getting a garanteed purchase, but we've already established that he doesn't make the best choices.

I'm specifically pissed at you two because you going "har har what a buffoon spending so much more" (when you don't even know the price ranges) really makes you come off as ignorant, entitled, Americans who can't see beyond their Country's border. You're making the rest of us look bad. Do you also think he atually paid $735 American Dollars? He lives in Nottingham, U.K. and not 'Merica, understand?

Just stop posting until you can wrap your head around the fact the most other countries have to pay more than what we do.

StraightToHeck:
not surprising considering this guy's stupid enough to have a child at 15

Maybe he bought a condom from ebay and ended up with just a picture of one

I'm sorry but...that's pretty funny. The only thing that would have been funnier is if the seller also printed a giant troll-face on the back of the picture along with that "Thank You For Your Purchase!" message.

I'll also go ahead and join the "WTF He Was 15 When He Had A Kid?!" group, and also add that I wonder how a 19 year old with a child could afford to spend that much money on an XBone on eBay.

StraightToHeck:

I honestly thought this right off as well. I don't know what it's like in that country, but in America it's pretty rare for a young guy like that to be involved with their kids if they have any. Not surprising eBay acted on this, they have a less than savory reputation for a reason, and more stories like this are the last thing they need.

On the other hand someone got away with selling a photo for some serious bank.

mysecondlife:

StraightToHeck:

THANK YOU.

I was thinking about how to make that joke, and you saved me the trouble!

Daaaah Whoosh:
You know, I actually agree with the conman on this one. If you're willing to put down $735 on something before checking for shenanigans like this, then you deserve to be taught a lesson. Although as I didn't see the listing, perhaps it was a bit difficult to tell.

Also, is that actually how much an Xbone is going for in the UK?

You agree with a thief?

Now stupidity is a crime?

Avaholic03:

Tenmar:
Good for Ebay giving this guy a full refund. That is positive customer service especially during the holiday season. Nobody should be taken advantage of or lose that much money during this time of the year.

I disagree. Natural selection has got to survive in some form or another. This guy is clearly not smart enough to have that kind of money (even if he had got what he thought he was paying for...he still claims to be buying a $735 console for a 4-year-old). Maybe the con man would make better use of the money.

Natural selection? Do you really defend this type of stuff?
I mean, you're not that far from suggesting castration for stupid people or even concentration camps for stupid people. (Or extremination if you wanna go full Hitler).

Dogstile:

Sseth:
Hey, the kid was overtaken by his hormonal urges and fucked up when he was a stupid teenager (we were ALL stupid teenagers once), cut him some slack. The way you people berate someone who is trying to be responsible for his actions is pathetic. He's being a good father and getting his kid an Xbox One, that's more than enough in this day and age where far too many kids don't even grow up with a father at all. Good on him, and I'm glad he got his money back.

....unless of course, the flip side of this story, is that this guy is full of shit and getting it for himself and just using his son as a sap story to gain empathy and get his money back.

In which case, fuck him.

I doubt it was for his son. Most four year olds can barely grip the controller.

While I also doubt it was for his son, I think you underestimate kids. I've been playing games before I have memories of it. Maybe the kid is the same.

Sseth:
Hey, the kid was overtaken by his hormonal urges and fucked up when he was a stupid teenager (we were ALL stupid teenagers once), cut him some slack.

ticklefist:
Why are people hung up on a 19 year old with a 4 year old child? He manned up and owned his shit at an age when most people would likely run from it. You judgmental people and your unqualified opinions.

"Manning up" would have been keeping it in his pants, because "Men" aren't animals who can't control themselves.

"Hormonal urges" and "oh he just couldn't help himself! It's kind of endearing!" are the kinds of things you'd say about a bloody dog!

gyroscopeboy:

mysecondlife:

StraightToHeck:

THANK YOU.

I was thinking about how to make that joke, and you saved me the trouble!

No need to thank me.

mysecondlife:

StraightToHeck:

Winner of the thread right here, that's was brilliant.

OT: Dude can't keep his penis in his pants nor can he keep his credit card there, everything just comes out. Gotta side with the seller, his customer wanted the picture

Except it wasn't entirely a con: Clatworthy acknowledged that the eBay listing stated that the item was in fact a photograph. But because it was in the proper category, he thought it was legit and so went ahead with the purchase.

Right there it says he knew the item was a photograph but I guess it was listed under electronics or something like that so he went ahead. I guess it would've been more proper to buy a cheap SD card and put the picture on it and then just sell that, the guy still would've made a massive profit.

I see a lot of people are just latching on to the fact that he had a kid at 15... or alternatively he got married to someone with a kid recently. In any case, so many people here are definitely embracing this point and simultaneously embracing their strong "blame the victim" mentality.

See if you can spot the similarities:
This story: "This guy has a kid at 15 years old and gets conned? Well of COURSE he did, he's stupid!"

Stories of Rape Victims: "This girl dressed like that in public and got raped? Well of COURSE she did, she's slutty!"

Conning and taking advantage of innocent people is never right, regardless of who the victim is or their lifestyle.

Everyone blaming the victim here is just being disgusting...

Full Metal Bolshevik:

Daaaah Whoosh:
You know, I actually agree with the conman on this one. If you're willing to put down $735 on something before checking for shenanigans like this, then you deserve to be taught a lesson. Although as I didn't see the listing, perhaps it was a bit difficult to tell.

Also, is that actually how much an Xbone is going for in the UK?

You agree with a thief?

Now stupidity is a crime?

He's not a thief, the listing said it was for a picture. I get that it's misleading, but that's pretty much how marketing works. And if you're going to buy something on ebay for over $700, you should really learn to watch out for that kind of thing.

So, no, stupidity is not a crime, but it can make horrible things happen to you. Hopefully this guy learned a lesson about trusting people on the Internet when money is involved.

Good job ebay, doing your job and shit.

Pebkio:
Who else but a scammer sells a freaking picture for 735 dollars. The guy is a criminal. Plain as day.

You don't seem to be familiar with professional photographers. For some of them, $735 could be a bargain.

Pebkio:

Kyogissun:

3. He paid 735 USD for a product that is typically 500 dollars

SilverUchiha:
"I bought it there and then because I thought it was a good deal"

How? That's paying at least $200 more for what was already the most expensive next gen console. That doesn't make any sense to me at all.

Psst... hey guys, I've got a secret for you. Come in real close now, lend me your ear...

YES, 700+ DOLLARS! Thanks for reaffirming the unfair business practices apparent in other countries. Did you not see the reveal prices? Well, just for you, because you didn't do a single drop of research or pay attention AT ALL:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2zslQ9PWPQ

I really don't know how you missed it... the E3 Press Conference was kind of a big deal. Basically, The price for Xbox One was set at 429. Yes, he paid a little bit more, probably because he thought he was getting a garanteed purchase, but we've already established that he doesn't make the best choices.

I'm specifically pissed at you two because you going "har har what a buffoon spending so much more" (when you don't even know the price ranges) really makes you come off as ignorant, entitled, Americans who can't see beyond their Country's border. You're making the rest of us look bad. Do you also think he atually paid $735 American Dollars? He lives in Nottingham, U.K. and not 'Merica, understand?

Just stop posting until you can wrap your head around the fact the most other countries have to pay more than what we do.

Thank you for pointing out what I was about to point out. Saves me some effort. Though I probably wouldn't have worded it quite that way haha.

I mean seriously guys...you really couldn't take two minutes to go to amazon.co.uk and check the UK prices for the XBone? And are not aware how for the most part we over here have been screwed by the game industry for YEARS? Here, I'll make it easy for you:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00BE4OUBG/ref=s9_pop_gw_g63_i7/279-2128563-0438403?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1DD61GPNPZ1YMGKP3BQ4&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=358550247&pf_rd_i=468294

Xbox One Console
by Microsoft UK Ltd
Platform: Xbox One
Price: 429.99 & FREE Delivery
Edition: Standard Edition

Day One editions obviously aren't being sold there directly by Amazon anymore. But a quick check over the "other purchase options" for the FIFA and Forza 6 Day One bundles shows they're going for about 600 (about 980 USD, for reference).

JoJo:

Twenty Ninjas:
Wait, a 19-year-old is a "teen" now? ...what's the legal age of majority in the UK, again?

...and he's buying it for his four year old son? I...

...there are things about this news article. Things that are wrong, and in more than one way.

The legal age of majority is 18 over here in the UK, but the term 'teenager' and it's derivatives can apply to anybody aged from 13 to 19. That may be different in other countries.

I don't know about elsewhere but I know we do it here in the states too.

Azaraxzealot:
I see a lot of people are just latching on to the fact that he had a kid at 15... or alternatively he got married to someone with a kid recently. In any case, so many people here are definitely embracing this point and simultaneously embracing their strong "blame the victim" mentality.

See if you can spot the similarities:
This story: "This guy has a kid at 15 years old and gets conned? Well of COURSE he did, he's stupid!"

Stories of Rape Victims: "This girl dressed like that in public and got raped? Well of COURSE she did, she's slutty!"

Conning and taking advantage of innocent people is never right, regardless of who the victim is or their lifestyle.

Everyone blaming the victim here is just being disgusting...

Just curious, but people always say "don't blame the victim." But why? Why is it wrong to point out that people suffering from the natural consequences of their own actions is their own damn fault?

That being said, your comparison is completely unfair: RAPE IS A CRIME, and possibly one of (if not the worst) crimes. Whereas selling someone a photograph is not a crime. Yes the seller was pretty obviously intending to scam someone, but it DID actually say in the description that it was just a photo. Do you see the difference here?

Mr.Tea:

Sseth:
Hey, the kid was overtaken by his hormonal urges and fucked up when he was a stupid teenager (we were ALL stupid teenagers once), cut him some slack.

ticklefist:
Why are people hung up on a 19 year old with a 4 year old child? He manned up and owned his shit at an age when most people would likely run from it. You judgmental people and your unqualified opinions.

"Manning up" would have been keeping it in his pants, because "Men" aren't animals who can't control themselves.

You'd be hard pressed to argue that he's handled his situation poorly.

"Hormonal urges" and "oh he just couldn't help himself! It's kind of endearing!" are the kinds of things you'd say about a bloody dog!

Nobody said any of this. You're having an argument with yourself.

Edit: I take it back, they did. Point stands. Why are you even angry about it?

Buying a Xbox One for his son? Himself I think.

Dimitriov:
Yes the seller was pretty obviously intending to scam someone, but it DID actually say in the description that it was just a photo. Do you see the difference here?

The situations are, basically, the same. You're preying on someone's weakness/trust. And that's never right. Scamming actually IS a crime itself. Conmen get sent to prison same as rapists, and on some level, they both do the same thing. They take advantage of someone, and forever make them more wary of the world around them.

Besides, you said it yourself. The intention WAS to scam someone. Being slightly more up front about your slimyness does not preclude the disgusting nature of it. The fact that SOMEwhere in the product description was a note saying that it was actually a photo doesn't mean anything. It could have been edited later, it could have been worded in a confusing manner that meant it could have been interpreted as not saying, specifically "This is actually a photo that you are paying for." Or it could have been tucked away in the recesses of the product description so as to "hide" it. I'm betting it was a combination of the 2nd and 3rd. The guy DID check the seller's rating, so it's not like he lacked common sense, and he probably thought that no one would actually be cruel enough to play that kind of scam, which he was wrong about. Fact of the matter is, this just SHOULDN'T HAPPEN IN THE FIRST PLACE. No one should EVER be misleading as the scammer was. The asshole scammer is completely in the wrong here, just as a rapist or any other conman is completely in the wrong.

How can any sane person with any level of empathy even BEGIN to sit there and defend the criminal/perpetrator/scammer? The facts of the case are: A person made a listing on ebay that was clearly meant to mislead someone and con money out of them, it happened, the scammer got banned. Why in the hell is anyone defending the scammer?

Azaraxzealot:

Dimitriov:
Yes the seller was pretty obviously intending to scam someone, but it DID actually say in the description that it was just a photo. Do you see the difference here?

The situations are, basically, the same. You're preying on someone's weakness/trust. And that's never right. Scamming actually IS a crime itself. Conmen get sent to prison same as rapists, and on some level, they both do the same thing. They take advantage of someone, and forever make them more wary of the world around them.

Besides, you said it yourself. The intention WAS to scam someone. Being slightly more up front about your slimyness does not preclude the disgusting nature of it. The fact that SOMEwhere in the product description was a note saying that it was actually a photo doesn't mean anything. It could have been edited later, it could have been worded in a confusing manner that meant it could have been interpreted as not saying, specifically "This is actually a photo that you are paying for." Or it could have been tucked away in the recesses of the product description so as to "hide" it. I'm betting it was a combination of the 2nd and 3rd. The guy DID check the seller's rating, so it's not like he lacked common sense, and he probably thought that no one would actually be cruel enough to play that kind of scam, which he was wrong about. Fact of the matter is, this just SHOULDN'T HAPPEN IN THE FIRST PLACE. No one should EVER be misleading as the scammer was. The asshole scammer is completely in the wrong here, just as a rapist or any other conman is completely in the wrong.

How can any sane person with any level of empathy even BEGIN to sit there and defend the criminal/perpetrator/scammer? The facts of the case are: A person made a listing on ebay that was clearly meant to mislead someone and con money out of them, it happened, the scammer got banned. Why in the hell is anyone defending the scammer?

Yes, yes. But there is a difference. It's a difference of degree if nothing else, but that can be an important difference. Poking someone on the chin or punching them and dislocating their jaw is also a difference of degree, but it's a big difference.

So yes scamming someone and rape are perhaps on a continuum of preying on other people, but the difference is so great that to speak of them in that sense is utterly ridiculous.

Also neither I, nor any of the posters I've read, have defended the scammer. We simply recognize that some blame belongs to the idiot that fell for it. Believe me I am well aware that anyone who posts a scam like that is an asshole and deserves to reap an appropriate punishment for his own actions as well.

But that's the point: people should be expected to suffer the consequences of their own actions. So yes the scammer should be punished, but no I don't think this idiot should have gotten his money back.

Setting aside the having a child at fifteen thing, who the fuck buys a gaming system for a four year old???

I mean, I am glad the guy got his money back since he had been clearly conned, but it seems he's missing a few -or few thousand- brain cells!

Clearly a con. I was expecting more empathy in a gaming community thread, but oh well. Good that he got his money back, as he should.

There's a good chance that the listing was deliberately misleading. These things happen fairly regularly, and it's not terribly difficult to see why someone might fall for:

You are Bidding on a picture of a Apple iPod Video Black 30 gb that is BRAND New In BOX. As you can see in the picture it has never been opened. I Only Ship to the continental United States. I do not ship to PO Boxs. This is an as is sale There will be no returns. Payment is due within 3 days of sale ending. Thank you for looking at my sale and Happy Bidding!

http://consumerist.com/2007/05/15/ebay-scam-people-still-trying-to-sell-pictures-of-things/

Dimitriov:

But that's the point: people should be expected to suffer the consequences of their own actions. So yes the scammer should be punished, but no I don't think this idiot should have gotten his money back.

Again, how do you know just how misleading the original listing was? Were you there? Did you see it? This guy said he checked the seller's profile to see if they checked out, and he said that they did (that in and of itself proves that he had some common sense/smarts). And ebay at LEAST requires that you put the correct condition, components, and the shipping information. We also know that it was listed in the correct category. Other than that, details are just being extrapolated. Details that just... aren't there. Like the guy is an idiot (the "evidence" provided is that he had a 4 year old and is 19. My grandfather was 19 and my dad was at least 8 at the time. My grandfather also owns his own construction company and took third place in a national martial arts contest while also going to college, so that's hardly good evidence). He deserved his money back. He was taken advantage of, and he deserves restitution.

Caiphus:
Clearly a con. I was expecting more empathy in a gaming community thread, but oh well. Good that he got his money back, as he should.

There's a good chance that the listing was deliberately misleading. These things happen fairly regularly, and it's not terribly difficult to see why someone might fall for:

You are Bidding on a picture of a Apple iPod Video Black 30 gb that is BRAND New In BOX. As you can see in the picture it has never been opened. I Only Ship to the continental United States. I do not ship to PO Boxs. This is an as is sale There will be no returns. Payment is due within 3 days of sale ending. Thank you for looking at my sale and Happy Bidding!

http://consumerist.com/2007/05/15/ebay-scam-people-still-trying-to-sell-pictures-of-things/

Glad SOMEone has some empathy in this thread.

I don't know why people are using the whole "15 year old dad" angle to say he's an idiot. That strikes me as awfully judgmental and unfair. No, the thing that proves he's an idiot is that he KNEW the description stated that it was just a picture, and bought it anyway, somehow thinking it would be an Xbox.

Also, the fact that he was paying more then the console usually costs, and thought it was a "great deal".

Robot Number V:
I don't know why people are using the whole "15 year old dad" angle to say he's an idiot. That strikes me as awfully judgmental and unfair. No, the thing that proves he's an idiot is that he KNEW the description stated that it was just a picture, and bought it anyway, somehow thinking it would be an Xbox.

Also, the fact that he was paying more then the console usually costs, and thought it was a "great deal".

Someone earlier explained that the whole price discrepancy thing was due to the same reason why games are so expensive in australia and PS4's are so expensive in Brazil.

Robot Number V:

He wasn't. He paid 450 pounds, which is exactly how much a Fifa 14 bundle is going for in the UK:

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2013-11/13/console-roundup-xbox-one

Edit: See? You didn't check. You were ignorant of the proper price. Does this make you an idiot? No. Of course not. This also doesn't mean it's now okay for me to take $700 of your money.

Wait... the guy bought a PICTURE of an item, instead of the actual item? As in, the postal scam that's been going on for almost as long as the post-office itself has? And people still fall for that?

Dude, 1908 called... and it wants its rocket scientist back!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here