U.K. Teen Buys $735 Photo of Xbox One on eBay

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Money Liberated from Moron with Deep Pockets - EBay Seller Hailed as Hero

To be fair to the buyer, ebay is full of scammers.
I remember back when there was a discounter who had a lottery to win cars if you collected stickers, and ebay'd be full of offers for "winning stickers" and whatnot, only to have - in very small font - disclaimers along the lines of "you're purchasing information about winning stickers, not winning stickers themselves" or "this package of stickers is unopened so who the fuck knows what's inside but I'm still going to advertise them like they're part of winning a car". Yes, they always include disclaimers, but they make sure to make them as inconspicuous as possible, trying to trick people.
Usually, such things are prevented through consumer protections, but apparently not on ebay; they need to get their shit together. But at least in this case - probably because of the publicity of the case and the amount of money involved - they set things right afterwards.
I don't quite get the dislike many in this thread have for the buyer. Do you just hate having consumer protections? What's this "you got fucked over because you were stupid, therefore it's your problem for being scammed"-sentiment?
This kind of misleading advertising and scamming is illegal, regardless whether you do it to somebody who sees through it or somebody who does not.

erttheking:

JoJo:

Twenty Ninjas:
Wait, a 19-year-old is a "teen" now? ...what's the legal age of majority in the UK, again?

...and he's buying it for his four year old son? I...

...there are things about this news article. Things that are wrong, and in more than one way.

The legal age of majority is 18 over here in the UK, but the term 'teenager' and it's derivatives can apply to anybody aged from 13 to 19. That may be different in other countries.

I don't know about elsewhere but I know we do it here in the states too.

How peculiar! It's not like you're speaking the same language. ;P
We got it in Sweden too. They're called "tonåringar" here since we end 13-19 with ton. Danish and Noweigan ends them with ten, so in Norway they say tenåringar and in Denmark... teenager/teen, apparently. Any Danes here who want to explain?

OT: Sucks to be scammed, but I'm sure as fuck he wasn't buying it for his four year old kid. Won't get a sympathy vote from me.

SilverUchiha:
"I bought it there and then because I thought it was a good deal"

How? That's paying at least $200 more for what was already the most expensive next gen console. That doesn't make any sense to me at all.

Actually I thought that too when I read that part, then I went to check and it turns out that the cheapest on Amazon is £429 which clocks in at about $700. Checking further the cheapest available is $950. It's a shame because I really wanted to call this guy stupid, but compared to the prices listed it's actually a good deal.

OT: It's hard to side with this guy. He was tricked, but it's not like the seller lied in his listing. He said he was selling a picture of an Xbox One and that he did. Still, it was deliberate to fool him.

mysecondlife:

StraightToHeck:
not surprising considering this guy's stupid enough to have a child at 15

Maybe he bought a condom from ebay and ended up with just a picture of one

I completely disagree with the cornholing this guy seems to be getting in this thread but that's probably the funniest thing I've read all week.

OT: The guy was scammed. We don't side with the scammers when people get scammed if we have a shred of decency. It's a jerk move to pull and even if "TECHNICALLY" the scammer put it out there that he was selling a picture, that doesn't make it an okay thing to do to trick someone, and he was clearly trying to trick them.

PayPal and eBay both side against scammers. They're not looking at this guy as some sort of villain that's playing the system and should have read the fine print. That's not the sort of situation we should strive to.

As for him having a kid at 15, that's unfortunate, but it happened. What's he supposed to do? Flush the kid down the toilet? I mean, maybe I just didn't get my time machine in the mail, but mistakes happen and considering he's a college student, I think he's on the right track and should be applauded for that much at least.

I'm sure I'll get tarred and feathered for siding with the guy but whatev.

Sheesh, so many people coming down on the guy for having a kid at fifteen. Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but I think it's really none of our business to judge him on that. Those without sin casting the first stone and all that. At least he's still around for his kid instead of being a deadbeat dad.

Altorin:

mysecondlife:

StraightToHeck:

I completely disagree with the cornholing this guy seems to be getting in this thread but that's probably the funniest thing I've read all week.

OT: The guy was scammed. We don't side with the scammers when people get scammed if we have a shred of decency. It's a jerk move to pull and even if "TECHNICALLY" the scammer put it out there that he was selling a picture, that doesn't make it an okay thing to do to trick someone, and he was clearly trying to trick them.

PayPal and eBay both side against scammers. They're not looking at this guy as some sort of villain that's playing the system and should have read the fine print. That's not the sort of situation we should strive to.

As for him having a kid at 15, that's unfortunate, but it happened. What's he supposed to do? Flush the kid down the toilet? I mean, maybe I just didn't get my time machine in the mail, but mistakes happen and considering he's a college student, I think he's on the right track and should be applauded for that much at least.

I agree with everything you said. But if I can have a laugh at anyone's expense (especially since its on the internet), I'll do it. I'm skimming through the thread right now, and wow.. he's getting a lot of flak for having a kid. Of course.. he could be lying about it. Who knows?

Anyways, thanks for laughing with me.

mysecondlife:

Altorin:

mysecondlife:

I agree with everything you said. But if I can have a laugh at anyone's expense (especially since its on the internet), I'll do it. I'm skimming through the thread right now, and wow.. he's getting a lot of flak for having a kid. Of course.. he could be lying about it. Who knows?

Anyways, thanks for laughing with me.

oh, don't get me wrong, I wasn't really calling you out.. it seemed like a good natured poke and I thought it was great :P I have a better question though... who cares if he's lying about getting it for his kid? like who's business is that of anyone? Even if eBay hadn't covered him, PayPal would have, and i'd be freaking furious too, even if it was just for me... if it really was for my kid? I'd be doubly furious, but really what does it matter?

This thread just makes me sad to be a human.

So he fathered a son at age 15 and decided to get his 4 year old son an Xbone. Those are some hasty, impulsive decisions there.

Still, the seller did put it in the wrong category so I guess that the buyer isn't entirely to blame.

Azaraxzealot:
I see a lot of people are just latching on to the fact that he had a kid at 15... or alternatively he got married to someone with a kid recently. In any case, so many people here are definitely embracing this point and simultaneously embracing their strong "blame the victim" mentality.

See if you can spot the similarities:
This story: "This guy has a kid at 15 years old and gets conned? Well of COURSE he did, he's stupid!"

Stories of Rape Victims: "This girl dressed like that in public and got raped? Well of COURSE she did, she's slutty!"

Conning and taking advantage of innocent people is never right, regardless of who the victim is or their lifestyle.

Everyone blaming the victim here is just being disgusting...

People here have this weird obsession with rape. Its not even close to the same thing. You don't get a choice if you get raped. You get the opportunity to read about what you're buying before you buy it. You're not forced to buy it.

JoJo:

Twenty Ninjas:
Wait, a 19-year-old is a "teen" now? ...what's the legal age of majority in the UK, again?

...there are things about this news article. Things that are wrong, and in more than one way.

The legal age of majority is 18 over here in the UK, but the term 'teenager' and it's derivatives can apply to anybody aged from 13 to 19. That may be different in other countries.

Being from the UK myself, I can confirm that the age of consent here is 16, but it isn't uncommon for people to have their first sexual experience at the age of 14.

There's nothing "wrong" of having a 4 year old son at 19 per se, I just find it slightly... uncomfortable per se.

But anyway, that is pretty dumb, always make sure to check that the stuff you buy online is legit, glad the seller got banned.

OuendanCyrus:

JoJo:

Twenty Ninjas:

Being from the UK myself, I can confirm that the age of consent here is 16, but it isn't uncommon for people to have their first sexual experience at the age of 14.

There's nothing "wrong" of having a 4 year old son at 19 per se, I just find it slightly... uncomfortable per se.

But anyway, that is pretty dumb, always make sure to check that the stuff you buy online is legit, glad the seller got banned.

I'm gonna go with there's plenty wrong with it. Its very rare that you find someone who's well adjusted enough to deal with a kid, puberty and all the other perks of growing up at the same time well. I feel sorry for that kid, I bet his dad snaps at him a lot.

Gonna go ahead and mention my mum, who I love dearly, had kids at 16. She loves us and does her best, but by no means has it been a good childhood, so its not like i'm looking at him and going "well he's stupid" without knowing anything about it.

But I suppose this really could use another thread.

Edit:

Right Hook:

Avaholic03:

Tenmar:
Good for Ebay giving this guy a full refund. That is positive customer service especially during the holiday season. Nobody should be taken advantage of or lose that much money during this time of the year.

I disagree. Natural selection has got to survive in some form or another. This guy is clearly not smart enough to have that kind of money (even if he had got what he thought he was paying for...he still claims to be buying a $735 console for a 4-year-old). Maybe the con man would make better use of the money.

I agree, I was so upset when I heard this idiot got a refund, it was far too obvious that he was only buying a photo and he deserved to pay if he was this foolish. Most of the time I don't support screwing people over but this is a situation I can get behind, a teenager with a four year old has no business wasting 700+ on a gaming device anyway, eBay should have issued the refund in the form of two college funds for daddy and his son, if they go to college, chances are eBay would never even have to pay out the cash in that case.

Psst, you can go to college for free in the uk, don't tell anyone.

mysecondlife:

StraightToHeck:

Best response in this thread so far.

OT: It doesn't matter if the guy should have paid more attention, the eBay seller broke the rules and conned him. eBay paid him a refund because that is the companies policy in such cases, not because he did the "It was for my kid" angle.

Neverhoodian:
Sheesh, so many people coming down on the guy for having a kid at fifteen. Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but I think it's really none of our business to judge him on that. Those without sin casting the first stone and all that. At least he's still around for his kid instead of being a deadbeat dad.

If this forum is anything to go by, gamers/geeks are a surprisingly judgemental lot.

Which I have always found kind of ironic considering how often people complain at being judged for their hobbies.

Dogstile:

Right Hook:

Avaholic03:

I disagree. Natural selection has got to survive in some form or another. This guy is clearly not smart enough to have that kind of money (even if he had got what he thought he was paying for...he still claims to be buying a $735 console for a 4-year-old). Maybe the con man would make better use of the money.

I agree, I was so upset when I heard this idiot got a refund, it was far too obvious that he was only buying a photo and he deserved to pay if he was this foolish. Most of the time I don't support screwing people over but this is a situation I can get behind, a teenager with a four year old has no business wasting 700+ on a gaming device anyway, eBay should have issued the refund in the form of two college funds for daddy and his son, if they go to college, chances are eBay would never even have to pay out the cash in that case.

Psst, you can go to college for free in the uk, don't tell anyone.

Indeed, and this guy apparently is (older than normal, most people finish college at 18, but that doesn't mean much in and of itself). But the poster you quoted was most likely using American terms, where college means Uni, which most certainly isn't free in this country (unless you're Scottish, but fuck the Scottish government).

Why is a 19 year old called a teenager now? i know that he may not be able to function as grown up with his intelligence but come on, adult is an adult and the age is 18.

Well you know what they say. Fool and his money are soon parted. If it looks too good - its a picture.

As for people raging about him having a son, you know, 200 years back and that would have been normal.

Tenmar:
Good for Ebay giving this guy a full refund. That is positive customer service especially during the holiday season. Nobody should be taken advantage of or lose that much money during this time of the year.

Actually, bad for Ebay. Ebay just lost 735 dollars. Because they cant get them from the seller. and their ban means nothing, its very easy just to get a new account number in your bank (theoretically they give you however many you want, but after 5 they start asking why do you need so many, but there ARE legitimate reasons).

Sniper Team 4:
I don't think it was a con. If the seller said it was literally just a picture of an Xbox One, then so be it.

see the problem was it was in hardware category. Thats like putting on advertisement for a painting for a car in car trade section of the newspaper.

Sseth:
He's being a good father and getting his kid an Xbox One.

This sentence makes no sense!
Just think about it. Good father.... getting a 4 year old a new console.... and an Xbox to boot!

ticklefist:
Why are people hung up on a 19 year old with a 4 year old child? He manned up and owned his shit at an age when most people would likely run from it. You judgmental people and your unqualified opinions.

so not using contraceptives are "manning up"?

omega 616:
Aw, come on now.... A UK teen pays in dollars... Really?

actually the article said the number in pounds and only provided rought estimate in dollars for comparison, because, you know, this is american website.

SilverUchiha:
"I bought it there and then because I thought it was a good deal"

How? That's paying at least $200 more for what was already the most expensive next gen console. That doesn't make any sense to me at all.

They sell for 500 pounds in UK, which is more than he paid for it.

Strazdas:

ticklefist:
Why are people hung up on a 19 year old with a 4 year old child? He manned up and owned his shit at an age when most people would likely run from it. You judgmental people and your unqualified opinions.

Dealing with your mistakes like a man is. It's not a difficult concept to grasp.

What the hell is he doing buying a console for a 4 year old?

I'd say 4 is too early to get him a gameboy, let alone an xbox one.

ticklefist:

Strazdas:

ticklefist:

Dealing with your mistakes like a man is. It's not a difficult concept to grasp.

If it was a mistake then a simple solution is already present. It is called abortion.

whatever happened to caveat emptor?

"Except it wasn't entirely a con: Clatworthy acknowledged that the eBay listing stated that the item was in fact a photograph. But because it was in the proper category, he thought it was legit and so went ahead with the purchase."

+ kid at the age of 15

round of applause everyone he's a keeper and a winner.

if i'd be dumb enough to buy this after seeing it states it's a picture i'd keep me stupid face shut instead of turning to some newspaper or whatnot. lawl

OuendanCyrus:

JoJo:

Twenty Ninjas:

Also being from the UK, I'm well aware of that. Just for the record, the 'Age of majority' and 'Age of consent' aren't the same thing. Age of majority is the age at which you legally become a full adult, whereas age of consent is the age you are considered mature enough to give consent for sexual relations. They don't have to be the same and indeed, differ by two years in our country.

Strazdas:

If it was a mistake then a simple solution is already present. It is called abortion.

Last time I checked, an abortion is the mother's choice, not the fathers.

Hey, if you're dumb enough to NOT read the object description, then you deserve to be conned out of our money.

Buying your 4-year-old an Xbone?

It's just kids having more kids for fear of being alone.

So he´s 19, can´t read, has a 4 year old son and buy´s him an xbox one? To do what exactly so the 4 year old can play rise?
It can´t be to watch television since the PAL system is not usable by xbone.

blackrave:
Ah, classical eBay prank.

Also 19y old buys console for 4y old son?
There is just so much wrong with this.
And of course I'll buy that he "bought it for his son"

captcha: creative process
dammit, stop making fun of this guy, only because he was "creative" at 15y

Chances are the he does not live with his son, and in that situation (young separated parents) the over the top Christmas present is pretty much the standard.

Why is everbody being so judgemental about this guy? Sure he should have known better but he is a victim of a scam, blame shouldn't be on him.
As for his age, my Mum had me at 16 (ended up fine) and I played Dad's $1,000~ NZD PS1 (at the time) at four years old. I think it helped my problem solving and fine motor skills develop.

eBay shouldn't have refunded this. The guy says he read that he was buying a photograph and did it anyway, surely he deserves to be out of pocket?

Also, sure, the 4 year old will probably get a lot of use out of that cutting-edge games console...a couple of years from now most likely.

keniakittykat:
Hey, if you're dumb enough to NOT read the object description, then you deserve to be conned out of our money.

Actually, he was dumber than that - he read it, noticed it said he was buying a photograph AND BOUGHT IT ANYWAY! I'm not sure losing $735 is enough in this case.

don't worry I'm sure this father of a 4 year old, 19 year old is a respected member of the community with a well paid job. It's not like he's a council house, benifit cheat who's using the tax payers money to buy a picture of an xbox!

Strazdas:

omega 616:

actually the article said the number in pounds and only provided rought estimate in dollars for comparison, because, you know, this is american website.

Actually, the headline says UK teen pays X amount in dollars.

It's an American website, so let's change the stories slightly to cater to Americans? Can't have the headline in pounds and then the conversion in the article,?

StraightToHeck:

My thoughts exactly.

Shim3d:
Why is everbody being so judgemental about this guy? Sure he should have known better but he is a victim of a scam, blame shouldn't be on him.

No hes not a victim of a scam. he admited himself he KNEW the decription read that it was a picture and bought it ANYWAY hoping it would be a real deal.

omega 616:

Strazdas:

omega 616:

Actually, the headline says UK teen pays X amount in dollars.

It's an American website, so let's change the stories slightly to cater to Americans? Can't have the headline in pounds and then the conversion in the article,?

No it does not.
here, let me post you the headline:
"U.K. Teen Buys $735 Photo of Xbox One on eBay"
Nowhere does it say what currency the 19 year old "teen" paid. In fact the story first mentions the pound value and then translates that to dollars.

So this gut got a kid when he's 15 and pays ungodly amounts of money for something without even reading the fine print or the damn description? ..... I can't even get mad at him, who I am mad at is the UK government.
first of all, what on earth is your age of concent and please don't say something ridiculous like 14.
And two, this guy does not sound suitable to take care of a child. Or atleast without some kind of crash course in how money works.

Edit: bonus while(aren't you lucky) what's a 4 year old to do with an Xbox one? Even in this day and age four year olds most want chocolate and jumping

putowtin:
don't worry I'm sure this father of a 4 year old, 19 year old is a respected member of the community with a well paid job. It's not like he's a council house, benifit cheat who's using the tax payers money to buy a picture of an xbox!

Apparently there are immigrants in the country too, he's probably one of them and probably even has a wide screen TV! The audacity.

Come the fuck on.

I saw a related thread on a similar website and it went exactly the same way. Frankly I'm quite disgusted by the mentality shown by far too many, the problems with society do not stem from the likes of 19 year old father who's looking after his child but bigots who look down on him with contempt and condone the scanner.

It's not easy being a "normal" parent, never mind being one of the ostracised. Massive respect to this guy.

I think he could make better use of his benefit money than spending $700 on a console 'for his kid' when his kid is far too young to even use it. This whole thing just screams "I'm an idiot".

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here