U.K. Teen Buys $735 Photo of Xbox One on eBay

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

The "victim" is 100% at fault here.

He reads the description, sees "photograph", figures he knows better, pays almost twice the market value and then runs crying to the press when, oh look, a photograph. Just like the description says.

And, I'm sorry, but exactly which of the Xbone games is suitable for a 4 year old? Deadrising 3? Killer Instinct? Or maybe CoD:Ghosts?

I've already seen this story printed elsewhere, but it's worth having another go at it.

We've already covered the fact that the guy is 19 with a 4-year old son, something which hardly shows to be a paragon of self-responsibility. Also, the article I read referred to him as a student ad also that he had "saved up" to by the Xbox One for himself (sorry, his 4 year old son). More like, he was using his benefits money to buy the console. I remember being a student at 19 and being able to even save up for a console was a pipedream, even though I was working part of the time.

Disappointing to here he got his money back. If I had anything to do with it, that wouldn't have happened. Instead he would have gained an opportunity to learn not only the value of money, but of not spending nearly 500 on a a photo of a console when it's specifically stated that's what you're getting. Idiot.

I fear for the future of our country. I can somehow see this guys 4-year old kid being downwardly mobile when he grows up, which going by his father means he'll probably be huddled up at the side of the street, shaking a discarded Starbucks cup full of loose change.

MarsProbe:
More like, he was using his benefits money to buy the console. I remember being a student at 19 and being able to even save up for a console was a pipedream, even though I was working part of the time.

It's not out of the question. When my student loan comes through I could definitely afford a next gen console if I don't mind eating light and not going out.

It all depends on how much his parents are earning (considering he was a father at 15, I'm guessing not much). Plus he could be getting bursaries, and I think having a dependant (his child) would entitle him to a little more money from Student Finance.

This thread is a real treasure. It's rare to be able to collect so much smug judgement in such a confined area without spillages. On the bright side, the world of tomorrow is going to be amazing since it's apparently going to be populated by people who're too fucking smart to make a mistake, and would certainly never try to wriggle out of the consequences if such a thing were, somehow, to happen. Christ.

He made a mistake. That's all. How it is any different to the bastards who con old people (typically) into parting with their life savings? Is it okay as long as they operate strictly within the confines of the letter of the law? Do we then pick over the victims' other life choices and say they deserve it because they've made choices we wouldn't have? Do we say the conman deserves it for being smarter than the stupid old granny (and would probably make better use of the money; granny will be dead soon after all)? I hope not, but it looks like we do.

Strazdas:
snip

"Buys $735" that is the bit I'm talking about, the headline! Not the article. The fact that the pound is mentioned first in the article is irrelevant, what is relevant to my annoyance is the first mention of finicial loss is in dollars when the story is about a teenager in the UK!

Let's flip it around "an American teen bought a picture for 450"... Why did he pay in pounds?

Why did you even make a mountain out of a mole hill? I was pointing out how weird it was and you ride in making an argument about it.

Not Matt:
So this gut got a kid when he's 15 and pays ungodly amounts of money for something without even reading the fine print or the damn description? ..... I can't even get mad at him, who I am mad at is the UK government.
first of all, what on earth is your age of concent and please don't say something ridiculous like 14.
And two, this guy does not sound suitable to take care of a child. Or atleast without some kind of crash course in how money works.

Edit: bonus while(aren't you lucky) what's a 4 year old to do with an Xbox one? Even in this day and age four year olds most want chocolate and jumping

The UK age of consent is 16, but getting a 'head start' in that area is very common and indeed there have been proposals to lower the AoC to 14 to take into account facts on the ground. Doesn't sound ridiculous to me, 14 year olds tend to be well into puberty, it's easily arguable they're old enough to make that decision for themselves.

And little kids love video games, when she was younger my sister used to just watch me play stuff like GTA or Fallout (I avoided doing anything grossly inappropriate), she didn't even want to give the game a go herself. I expect most 4 year olds would find a game fascinating, even if they couldn't play it properly themselves. But yeah, an Xbone probably isn't the right console for a young child, this guy should have just bought a picture of a Wii instead.

Kyogissun:

ticklefist:
Why are people hung up on a 19 year old with a 4 year old child? He manned up and owned his shit at an age when most people would likely run from it. You judgmental people and your unqualified opinions.

That really doesn't change the fact that he could avoid being in the scenario he's in if he, you know, had better decision making skills.

It's GREAT that he owned up to his decisions, but please do not try and act like that wasn't a stupid decision. Hell, there are people who are twice his age and still struggle with being parents because, let's face it, parenting's not for everyone.

People are judging that factor because it ties into the other carelessness this article brings to light. Kudos on his responsibility for the big and important thing he did raising his kid but... Fuck, you think the guy would be a LITTLE more careful with his money considering he has a CHILD to care for!

This is exactly why people are giving the guy shit. Irrespective of his accepting of responsibility (which, I agree, is rare), his decision making skills are still questionable. Even if it is presumptive, empirical evidence regarding teenage parents does not a wise man indicate. Some other flags are raised in the posted list by Kyogissun. The frivolous spending, the questionable reasoning, the indignant nature of idiocy. Frankly, I'm somewhat amazed he was allowed vaginal entry.

I'm still confused by friends of mine getting married and having children.

I remember being a kid.

I was an asshole. Making parents' lives difficult for no fucking reason, whining about "bland mashed potatoes" and other such nonsense when they were putting food on the table. Feeling jealousy when my spoiled neighbors and classmates would come back from winter vacation with a tan (i.e. went to Disneyland) or a stash that would make Richie Rich pitch a tent, then coming home from elementary school sullen and moody because I couldn't appreciate that I got something and, especially, something I wanted or could use.

Parents did basically everything for us on top of working and all the stresses of trying to survive in the modern era (mortgages/rent, paycheck size, bills, gas, etc.).

Now, being grown up and going 'round my parents, I've felt mostly guilt, regret and ignominy. I've also felt that having a child right now would be a huge mistake.

Kids are assholes. Kids have no perspective and are (however unintentional) arrogant, myopic, selfish little shits. The responsibility is enormous and the gain, on the surface, appears little.

Sorry, went off on a tangent.

Scrumpmonkey:
I think he could make better use of his benefit money than spending $700 on a console 'for his kid' when his kid is far too young to even use it. This whole thing just screams "I'm an idiot".

Because, of course, we just know that he used benefits to pay for this. Also he's probably a fucking paedophile. And a Muslim terrorist!

Broken Britain amirite?!

The guy that bought the thing got a lucky break with this PR. If it was clearly printed in the description then that's on you. Ignorance is no excuse from the law.

Somehow, $735 seemed like a good deal, the ad did mention it was a photograph, he's 19 and has a 4 year old son, goes sympathy fishing by implying his poor 4 year old son won't get a fucking xbone. Sometimes, people deserve to get scammed.

The Plunk:

Scrumpmonkey:
I think he could make better use of his benefit money than spending $700 on a console 'for his kid' when his kid is far too young to even use it. This whole thing just screams "I'm an idiot".

Because, of course, we just know that he used benefits to pay for this. Also he's probably a fucking paedophile. And a Muslim terrorist!

Broken Britain amirite?!

It was clearly printed in the description of the item it was a picture and he still bid over the RRP for it. He's an idiot and he used his kid as an excuse for good press. If you have a child when you are a teen the UK government universally throws money at you. If you are a 19 year old student with a four year old kid and you're not on some kind of benefit you don't have over 500 to spend on an Xbone. Period.

I've been a 19 year old student, been on a full time course, worked two jobs and had a (moderate) student loan. Between helping my parents out with rent and bills getting transport, buying food, buying college supplies (yes some of us have to actually do that) i barely had enough left to maintain my relationship and keep clothed. Things like learning to drive, getting a car etc have had to be sacrificed. I didn't even have a child to look after.

Tell you what Mr. Clatworthy. Why don't you take the obviously spare 500 a year you have and actually invest it in that kid's future? You're a 19 year old student with a kid (so god knows where you got 500 from at Christmas time) but theoretically your money situation is only going to improve. If you put 500 a year away for 14 years (or until he is 18) you could have 7000 ready to go to help with his education.

But lets pretned you have grown a brain in the meantime and invest wisely; inflation tracks at around 3%-4%, as a conservative estimate. I currently have bonds invested with money my perants gave my for my 18th birthday and they track 0.5% above inflation and are risk free. So lets say you get 4.5% a year yield on your accrued investment, re-investing every year.

That comes out at about 9,800 for your child on his 18th birthday.
(http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/saving/article-1633419/Monthly-lump-sum-savings-calculator.html)

Better than a few pieces of paper

JoJo:

Not Matt:
So this gut got a kid when he's 15 and pays ungodly amounts of money for something without even reading the fine print or the damn description? ..... I can't even get mad at him, who I am mad at is the UK government.
first of all, what on earth is your age of concent and please don't say something ridiculous like 14.
And two, this guy does not sound suitable to take care of a child. Or atleast without some kind of crash course in how money works.

Edit: bonus while(aren't you lucky) what's a 4 year old to do with an Xbox one? Even in this day and age four year olds most want chocolate and jumping

The UK age of consent is 16, but getting a 'head start' in that area is very common and indeed there have been proposals to lower the AoC to 14 to take into account facts on the ground. Doesn't sound ridiculous to me, 14 year olds tend to be well into puberty, it's easily arguable they're old enough to make that decision for themselves.

the main opposition to lowering the age is twofold, one aspect reasonable and the other retarded.
1) lowering the age of consent means lower ages for paedophilia charges, and a fully grown person cannot be charged for statutory rape for having sex with a 14 and 15 year old anymore. this is made even worse because of the laws around teen sex anyway, which the UK government admit are kinda shit, so they have a general set of guidelines for whether to take cases to trial when teens have sex with each other

2) it won't solve the problem, it will just mean younger kids end up having sex, because the excitement of underage sex isn't the sex part, it's the underage.

hmm, i wonder which one is the legitimate concern...

i say it sarcastically, and david cameron supported the stupid reason -_- but seriously, not doing it for moral reasons is stupid, the proposition is so more help and advice can be given to teens, not so we think it's 'ok' all of a sudden.

OT: wow, took a while to get back to the subject... the guy is an idiot, and neither is in the right. he was clearly scammed out of his money by being stupid and not paying full attention, but that doesn't mean the scammer is in the right. and i have no idea as to his parenting capabilities so i can't comment on him specifically, only teen parents as a generalization, which is they leave a lot to be desired. but props to him for actually sticking around for his kid.

and to other points raised, being a student doesn't make you poor, or reliant on benefits. i'm 3rd year uni, been working part time since i was 16, and currently i have student loan for living costs (food, bills, rent) and between 650-900 a month depending on if i do overtime or not (the 650 is 2 night shifts a week FYI). needless to say, i live comfortably

StraightToHeck:
not surprising considering this guy's stupid enough to have a child at 15

Too-sheh! Yeah, he bought ift "fOr hiS sOn"... -__o right...

Pebkio:
Who else but a scammer sells a freaking picture for 735 dollars.

Now, the article doesn't specify what the asking price was but it probably wasn't 735 dollars. The thing with ebay is that it's runs on a bid system. Someone can put something on offer for 1 dollar and if enough people are fighting over it, it can end up going for hundreds of dollars.

But again, I have no idea what the seller was asking for, so it may have been a ridiculous figure.

suitepee7:

and to other points raised, being a student doesn't make you poor, or reliant on benefits. i'm 3rd year uni, been working part time since i was 16, and currently i have student loan for living costs (food, bills, rent) and between 650-900 a month depending on if i do overtime or not (the 650 is 2 night shifts a week FYI). needless to say, i live comfortably

To point out again, this guy isn't in Uni, he's still attending college. So no student loan for him. He has a 4 year old kid to support (which tend to be expensive). We have no information about his state of employment, but he won't have a full time job and I'd be surprised if a part-time would pay enough to support him, his kid and be able to fork over 450 for a Xbone. The information given about him in the two Post articles suggests that he lives in a low income, pretty scummy area of Nottingham. As Scrumpmonkey said, he is most likely on some from of benefit, even if he's not the stereotype Council Estate benefit scrounger (but to be frank, that is rather plausible). While it is circumstantial evidence, all the information provided suggests that he is either poor, on benefits or both.

Dogstile:

Sseth:
Hey, the kid was overtaken by his hormonal urges and fucked up when he was a stupid teenager (we were ALL stupid teenagers once), cut him some slack. The way you people berate someone who is trying to be responsible for his actions is pathetic. He's being a good father and getting his kid an Xbox One, that's more than enough in this day and age where far too many kids don't even grow up with a father at all. Good on him, and I'm glad he got his money back.

....unless of course, the flip side of this story, is that this guy is full of shit and getting it for himself and just using his son as a sap story to gain empathy and get his money back.

In which case, fuck him.

I doubt it was for his son. Most four year olds can barely grip the controller.

My 5 year old kicks my ass at some games, like Castle Crashers or Lego Batman..... Or trolls me on purpose. "Hey dadda you need this health?" "Yes I do"... "MINE!" -_-

StraightToHeck:
not surprising considering this guy's stupid enough to have a child at 15

You beat me to it, although I was just going to say that its pretty obvious good decision making isnt in this guys cards....

slash2x:

Dogstile:

Sseth:
Hey, the kid was overtaken by his hormonal urges and fucked up when he was a stupid teenager (we were ALL stupid teenagers once), cut him some slack. The way you people berate someone who is trying to be responsible for his actions is pathetic. He's being a good father and getting his kid an Xbox One, that's more than enough in this day and age where far too many kids don't even grow up with a father at all. Good on him, and I'm glad he got his money back.

....unless of course, the flip side of this story, is that this guy is full of shit and getting it for himself and just using his son as a sap story to gain empathy and get his money back.

In which case, fuck him.

I doubt it was for his son. Most four year olds can barely grip the controller.

My 5 year old kicks my ass at some games, like Castle Crashers or Lego Batman..... Or trolls me on purpose. "Hey dadda you need this health?" "Yes I do"... "MINE!" -_-

True, however there are several things to consider:

1. He DID have a kid at 15... it happens, true, but it displays poor decision making.
2. If he is 19 and has a 4 year old son, unless he is wealthy (which I doubt or this article would have never seen the light of day) then why in gods name would he be spending the amount of cash an Xbox One would run you right now, instead of going with a system that has ALOT more 4 year old-esque games like the 360? For ALOT cheaper? So that he could be buying other presents for his son, too? Or better yet, food and clothing for his son?

I certainly applaud ANYONE that has a child and mans up and fathers the child and looks after them. Its the right thing to do, and anyone that doesnt, simply doesnt deserve to keep his testicles, in my opinion. BUT, there are some things with this story that doesnt add up, and thats what people are pointing out, I think.

Granted, the honest truth to this could be that he really is taking care of his child, and has the money to get the Xbox One that the 4 year old wants, and is still able to feed and clothe him with no problem, and if that REALLY is the case, then I have no problem with that at all. But it just seems.... really fishy.

Does this not happen all the time on eBay? What makes this story so special?

I'm...

I don't know what to respond to here.

There's... just too much stupidity all around.

When the fact that someone got scammed by purchasing a photo instead of the actual product starts to become a footnote in the story, there is a huge problem with the world.

Strazdas:

ticklefist:

Strazdas:

so not using contraceptives are "manning up"?

Dealing with your mistakes like a man is. It's not a difficult concept to grasp.

If it was a mistake then a simple solution is already present. It is called abortion.

Man, you just have a crappy answer for everything. He didn't get himself pregnant. The option you've presented must have come up. A different decision was made. He dealt with it like a man.

This is a real life scenario and you're having a very hard time convincing me you're qualified to give opinions about it.

Dogstile:

Azaraxzealot:
I see a lot of people are just latching on to the fact that he had a kid at 15... or alternatively he got married to someone with a kid recently. In any case, so many people here are definitely embracing this point and simultaneously embracing their strong "blame the victim" mentality.

See if you can spot the similarities:
This story: "This guy has a kid at 15 years old and gets conned? Well of COURSE he did, he's stupid!"

Stories of Rape Victims: "This girl dressed like that in public and got raped? Well of COURSE she did, she's slutty!"

Conning and taking advantage of innocent people is never right, regardless of who the victim is or their lifestyle.

Everyone blaming the victim here is just being disgusting...

People here have this weird obsession with rape. Its not even close to the same thing. You don't get a choice if you get raped. You get the opportunity to read about what you're buying before you buy it. You're not forced to buy it.

Except that they are the same basic thing. You're preying on another person. Taking advantage of them. He didn't have a choice in getting conned either. Someone else posted here earlier that it's very likely that the listing was worded in a very misleading manner that could make anyone but the most discerning person think they were buying the actual thing. Everyone around here is extrapolating "He's stupid and deserved this." because he has a four year old, and for no other reason. Which is the same as blaming a rape victim for being slutty because of some non-related fact (like she is conventionally physically attractive and wasn't wearing body armor, because it's "COMMON SENSE"). He checked the seller's profile and the seller had good ratings (which indicates he did not lack common sense), and ebay requires you to put information on there that pertains to the product people think you're selling. So on the surface, it had to look legitimate, and apparently, this kind of scam is pulled often, with listing worded in a VERY VERY confusing manner, where, if you were just glossing over the details, it all looks correct, because the fact that it's a photo is kind of de-emphasized, like it being in fine print.

People get preyed upon all the time, they're basically the same thing and instill the same kind of mistrust and lack of faith in humanity to the victims.

Repeating everyone else's points...

1) He has a 4 year old son?
2) He buys an Xbox for his 4 year old son?
3) He didn't check the description?

Okay, so Ebay did completely the right thing, the seller is a douchebag but wow, this guy is stupid, I have to say.

I am amazed at how so many people here understand so little about the circumstances going on here.

Being a uni student does NOT make you poor, I knew a few of my fellow students who made more than 20k a year at uni before graduation, heck, I was past that when I was in 3rd year. With the right combination of grants and living arrangements, even as a freshman, I could support myself AND have money to blow on video games and systems.

As another pointed out, we don't know if he is the biological father, he could be married/in a relationship with somebody a couple years older than him, and he's seeking to bond with the kid (who he's come to accept as 'his', regardless of actual parentage).

4 year olds are perfectly capable of playing video games. I played the LEGO games with a 3 year old and it wasn't... awful. Took some steering, but the kid had TONS of fun, and every week when he'd visit he wanted to play Star Wars LEGO with his Uncle. This was a few years ago when the franchise was new. Now, I bet he doesn't even remember who I am, but at the time, he certainly did. A 4 year old would be even more capable.

The victim blame here is just disgusting. As far as his decision went... he had the money, and he made a risk/rewards assessment, and hoped that since the vendor had a good reputation that it was legit. Regardless that he was... leery of the purchase since the term 'picture' was in there, there is obvious intent to deceive on the part of the seller. That is a CRIME. The seller is a CRIMINAL, and should be considering themselves fortunate that Paypal and eBay are not pressing charges against them.

Sniper Team 4:
I don't think it was a con. If the seller said it was literally just a picture of an Xbox One, then so be it. The same thing happened when the 360 launched as well. A few people were selling only the box for the 360. They made it very clear that it was just a box, not the system, and people still paid absurd amounts of money for it. If the seller said it was just a picture and not the system itself, that blame falls solely on the buyer.

Now, if the seller didn't make it clear (which it sounds like it did say it was just a picture), then yeah, that's a scam. I would like to see the listing myself personally and see what it says.

You get people who will put up misleading entries that state what they are very carefully in the listing somewhere, but go all out to make it look like something else. One listing I saw was selling guides on buying from police auctions, but unless you read the description minutely you'd think you were buying a digital camera from a police auction, or the 'forgeworld' scam where small scale miniatures were sold without specifically stating the scale, but with enough double talk in the description to make it sound like it was the far more expensive full scale miniatures for sale.

Well, once you realize he had a kid at 15, making stupid decisions and not fully thinking things through, isn't that shocking.

Twenty Ninjas:
Wait, a 19-year-old is a "teen" now? ...what's the legal age of majority in the UK, again?

...and he's buying it for his four year old son? I...

...there are things about this news article. Things that are wrong, and in more than one way.

Welcome to the uk, with the highest rate of underage pregnancy in Europe. Amongst other proud endevours. Cant wait to move out!

Daaaah Whoosh:
You know, I actually agree with the conman on this one. If you're willing to put down $735 on something before checking for shenanigans like this, then you deserve to be taught a lesson. Although as I didn't see the listing, perhaps it was a bit difficult to tell.

Also, is that actually how much an Xbone is going for in the UK?

While I agree that the guy deserved to be taught a lesson, I don't think that the seller/con-man deserved the money. Just because one man deserves a loss does not entitle another man to gain.

God, I hate cons so much...at least a mugger will be up front about fleecing you.

Now we can smirk and sneer all we want about a young man with a child. La-di-da, some girl was willing to let a teenage boy inside her and he took her up on it - give me a moment to put on my "shocked" face. Hang on...

o o
.O

There we go.

But rather than cut and run, he sucked it up and tried to be the best father he knows how to be for his child -not that he knows how to be a good father, he's only ninieteen now for Christsake, but there's something to be said for even making the effort. So the kid wanted to get an XBone for his kid...not too far fetched. The last console gen lasted fairly long; so if the trend continues, the child will be a pre-teen before his system needs to be swapped out (barring a technical failure). Now I have no doubt that the dad will have a few games for himself, but I've got no reason to doubt that this was meant to be a family system.

Now along comes this scammer, trolling eBay for a sucker. There's no way he reasonably believes that some printer ink on a stock piece of paper is worth $700+, there's just no way, but he's going to try to sell it for that anyway. So he deliberately misfiles it and just tucks a tiny caveat into his post (in a manner I've no doubt was meant to be as confusing as possible) so that he can weakly attempt to claim that he told the client exactly what he was getting.

Now you can deride the victim all you want for his stupidity; for being too trusting. But that doesn't change the fact that the con was a human predator and we don't need those sorts of people making life difficult for the rest of us.

Though he'd purchased an Xbox One for his four-year-old son.

What an ass.

Putting aside console war BS, he obviously bought the console for himself, not his kid. Even in a few years the kid still won't be able to really play that thing, and even if they could do you really want your six year old playing CoD? Fuck this guy...

xPixelatedx:

Though he'd purchased an Xbox One for his four-year-old son.

What an ass.

Putting aside console war BS, he obviously bought the console for himself, not his kid. Even in a few years the kid still won't be able to really play that thing, and even if they could do you really want your six year old playing CoD? Fuck this guy...

Though, to be fair, that would explain the reason so many Call of Duty players sound like castrati.

senordesol:

Now you can deride the victim all you want for his stupidity; for being too trusting. But that doesn't change the fact that the con was a human predator and we don't need those sorts of people making life difficult for the rest of us.

Your post made me feel better about this thread, thanks for that.

Victim blaming can be quite the confusing subject for people. When to do it and when not to.

This is not the time for it. Shame for everyone critiquing his age.

There's quite a lucrative market for printed images.

I <3 Matt Lees
If I were 15, I'd totally have his babies.

Twenty Ninjas:
Wait, a 19-year-old is a "teen" now? ...what's the legal age of majority in the UK, again?

...and he's buying it for his four year old son? I...

...there are things about this news article. Things that are wrong, and in more than one way.

I don't understand your not understanding. 19 has always been a teen. NineTEEN. I mean... Its right there.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here