Indiana Jones Rights Raided By Disney

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Indiana Jones Rights Raided By Disney

Indiana Jones boulder

We can only hope that top men are working on a new movie. Top. Men.

Disney has bought the distribution and marketing rights for all future movies in the Indiana Jones franchise. Under the terms of the deal, Paramount maintains distribution rights for the original trilogy, plus this other movie called Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, if anyone wants to fess up to that.

Missing from the announcement is any word on a fifth movie in the Jones franchise. However, given how eagerly Disney has been announcing movies for its other George Lucas-created property, it seems a safe bet we'll be hearing more from the good doctor in some form or another.

Source: Variety

Yes. Go ahead to buy the rights to some old movies with an amount of money that could create ten potentially successful new movie franchises!

Exterminas:
Yes. Go ahead to buy the rights to some old movies with an amount of money that could create ten potentially successful new movie franchises!

Yeah, but that requires creativity. And this is Disney we're talking about.

Well, I guess it's time to begin speculation on what the next Indiana Jones will be about.
Except I can't even begin to think of anything they could do after the Crystal Skull. I mean, can you really go back to 'religious' artifacts after aliens? And for that matter, the Henry we all know and love has gotten really old.

Phrozenflame500:

Exterminas:

Yeah, but that requires creativity. And this is Disney we're talking about.

Depends on your stance on the Avengers thing. Because everyone was thinking Disney was going to ruin Marvel. And then we got the whole Marvel Cinematic Universe bollocks. And while the first Captain America and Thor movies were pretty average, the rest of them have been great, particularly The Avengers, although I'd give most of that credit to Joss whedon's ability to write diverse characters within a group.

And since George Lucas is having very little to do with the new Star Wars films, we might get some decent character writing, since everything after New Hope was shithouse.

That's a franchise that should have been left alone after the original trilogy. There's no need to make new movies in the franchise. Not everything needs a reboot or shitty sequels. Move the fuck on already, Hollywood!

Kill off Shia LaDouche in the opening scene and the fifth movie will be off to a great start.

$10 says it goes to JJ Abrams, just because with Star Wars, Star Trek, and possibly Portal we might as well give him another beloved franchise to turn into a boring lens-flare fest.

Ok that was kind of mean.

I wish we didn't have to mine every series for sequels and instead tried, I don't know, some NEW IP. Clearly that's not about to happen so the best I can hope for is that at least someone talented gets this.

Disney Those necromantic bastards! They just love playing with the corpses of our dead heroes. I have been done with Disney for a while now, and I'm starting to lose respect for Pixar.

About the news: Yay, I guess ... ? I dunno, I think Indy's story is wrapped up nicely. Doesn't need a sequel.

About the Kingdom of Crystal Skull bashing: I still don't get the hate ... improbable things happen in every movie, the interdimensional beings fit in with the fifties theme of the movie and Shia wasn't even half that bad.

Indiana Jones: Raiders of the Lost Retirement Home up next? One things for sure, if they make another movie either a new protagonist will have to be introduced or, more likely, the role will be recast with a younger actor and the canon possibly rebooted a la James Bond.

This is a little too late. You can't have Indiana Jones without Harrison Ford and he's just too damn old to play the part now.

RJ Dalton:
This is a little too late. You can't have Indiana Jones without Harrison Ford and he's just too damn old to play the part now.

Why does it require Ford?

PrinceOfShapeir:

RJ Dalton:

Why does it require Ford?

How is that even a question? Everything about what made Indiana Jones work as a character came from Harrison Ford's performance. You try to extract Harrison Ford out of IJ, it's like when they took Sean Connery out of James Bond. Yeah, you *can do it, but it'll never be as good as the original. And the franchise is long dead. Crystal Skull wasn't so much a revival as a desecration of the corpse. They left Jones in the freezer for too long and all the people who were responsible for making that franchise have moved on. You could spend years trying to recapture the glory of the past movies, but they'll always be lesser films. It would be better to start something new.

Reaper195:

Depends on your stance on the Avengers thing. Because everyone was thinking Disney was going to ruin Marvel. And then we got the whole Marvel Cinematic Universe bollocks. And while the first Captain America and Thor movies were pretty average, the rest of them have been great, particularly The Avengers, although I'd give most of that credit to Joss whedon's ability to write diverse characters within a group.

I actually have a theory as to how that happened, and goes like this:
Marvel Films was motivated to get their shit together to please their new overlords, or risk being replaced.

See, people point to their overwhelmingly successful Avengers run. Yet, these same people ignore or forget what came BEFORE Iron Man 1.

The Hulk. Electra. Daredevil.
Yuck.

Joss Whedon was part of the process for their renaissance, yes, but he wasn't the motivation.
Still, Marvel bet on him, and it worked. Lucky Marvel. (though after seeing Thor 2 and the direction those films are going...I don't see Avengers 2 carrying the same thunder as the first)

With Star Wars, it's a bit different...so pardon me while I try to contextualize how and why:

George Lucas clearly didn't give a shit about anything when making the prequel trilogy save for how much forced merchandise he could wring out of each film. The acting was wooden and stilted, the direction was awful, shots were lazily framed and CGI was crammed into every nook and cranny of the film for no good reason other than...I dunno, to show he had a really big computer in his studio?

...And in spite of all that, in spite of the films being mostly BORING and very stupid, it worked; he still made BILLIONS just because it was freaking Star Wars.

To Disney, Star Wars is the perfect kind of franchise; it's going to succeed because no matter how shallow, miserable and shitty the films are because the franchise's cultural relevance lends it unshakeable market stability AND an ability to shit out merch by the boatload.

And it's not like this process is new to Disney; hell, they're right up there with Lucas in terms of plundering their own films for lazy cash. Consider how many forced shitty sequels and echo-pattern merchandise branding they're pushed out over the last two decades...it's kind of sickening, but damn is it effective.

That's why they hired...

And since George Lucas is having very little to do with the new Star Wars films, we might get some decent character writing, since everything after New Hope was shithouse.

...JJ Abrams to direct the new Star Wars films.

If there was a brief flicker of hope in me that someone would treat Star Wars with some respect at last, it died immediately upon hearing the announcement of Abrams as heading the movies.

Based on what I've seen from his Star Trek remakes, Abrams understands geek culture just enough to make references, but is still too much of a hack to make anything that isn't gloriously stupid action crap. But since his stupid action crap sells, it's of no concern to Disney.

I think MovieBob had the best reaction to this news on Twitter:

"Disney bought Indiana Jones? Why would you buy the rights to something that they aren't going to make any more...oh, no..."

We shall all cringe in anticipation

Atmos Duality:

Yuck.

Which of those had anything to do with Disney?

Zachary Amaranth:

Read my post. Figure it out. It's not that hard.
And if you're wondering why I chose to respond this way: I already explicitly stated why.

This is a nowhere story, told by a nowhere magazine. I mean, is that it? It's been months since Disney bought out Lucas Films and now suddenly "Oh, we think they'll announce an Indiana Jones film". There is nothing even remotely new here. They didn't they were going to make a movie, Disney, has in fact, not made any announcements whatsoever on the matter. Maybe it's just icing on the Star Wars cake that they now have full rights to Amusement Park ride designs. Nobody knows and certainly not anyone who's written this story.

This. is. the. Fox. News. low. level. of. Journalism.

I can understand Vanity Fair printing this dribble, but what's it doing on the Escapist?

Day-um, Disney be buying the IP's of everything.
Soon Disney will own the world at this pace.

captcha: Shane come back.
who is this 'shane' captcha?!
TELL ME!

as long lucas cant put his fingers in to the 5th movie and talks about aliens again, then their might be some small chance that the story will not suck.
i still enjoyed cristal skull as such if it werent for the damn aliens. and this was lucas idea in case some dint know. spielberg dint want aliens in it but lucas insisted on it. just he named them differently in hope no one will figure out that it is a stupid alien.

Atmos Duality:
See, people point to their overwhelmingly successful Avengers run. Yet, these same people ignore or forget what came BEFORE Iron Man 1.

Yuck.

There's nothing particularly relevant before Iron Man "1", because that was the very first self-produced Marvel movie and the very first movie in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. The movies you're citing are Marvel licensees, produced by other companies. You might as well cite X-men or Spiderman movies.

Atmos Duality:

Zachary Amaranth:

Read my post. Figure it out. It's not that hard.
And if you're wondering why I chose to respond this way: I already explicitly stated why.

Your post made no sense in the context of the dude you were quoting.

Care to actually answer the question?

I dunno, I think it's time to retire the franchise seeing as how Harrison Ford is a bit old for the role... not that'll probably stop Disney, though...

*farts the Indiana Jones theme song*

After the last pathetic installment where the living hell would they go with the franchise? Bringing Indy any more into the present would totally destroy any feeling of mystery or nostalgia the franchise has and Ford is too damned old for them to do a prequel. Sure there are competent actors who might be able to take up the character, Josh Brolin springs to mind, but again where would they take the franchise?

Zachary Amaranth:

Your post made no sense in the context of the dude you were quoting.

Care to actually answer the question?

Read on.

Pyrian:
There's nothing particularly relevant before Iron Man "1", because that was the very first self-produced Marvel movie and the very first movie in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. The movies you're citing are Marvel licensees, produced by other companies. You might as well cite X-men or Spiderman movies.

By far and large, most audiences aren't like us, and don't really care who made what they're watching so much as how much they like what they're watching. "Licensee" or not. What they do remember, is if they see a shit movie based on something easily recognizable.

I think there's a reason Marvel started off their Avengers run by rebooting the Hulk in addition to doing Iron Man 1, despite not having produced the previous Hulk film directly. And I seriously doubt it was just for continuity reasons.

When people talk about how Disney let Marvel do their own thing, it's probably because Marvel Films was doing things right when they were acquired.

And they're only doing things right because they're putting actual effort into making these movies good.
And they're trying real hard to make those movies good to wash away the stigma that previous Marvel franchise films created.

That's my bullshit theory to rationalize why Disney is so bipolar with the creative freedom they give/revoke to their child companies.

Interpret it, dismiss it, do whatever.

It's quite obvious that the only responses I'm going to get are passive-aggressive jabs from people looking to pick fights, so I'm just going to leave it alone after this.

Pebkio:
This is a nowhere story, told by a nowhere magazine. I mean, is that it? It's been months since Disney bought out Lucas Films and now suddenly "Oh, we think they'll announce an Indiana Jones film". There is nothing even remotely new here. They didn't they were going to make a movie, Disney, has in fact, not made any announcements whatsoever on the matter. Maybe it's just icing on the Star Wars cake that they now have full rights to Amusement Park ride designs. Nobody knows and certainly not anyone who's written this story.

This. is. the. Fox. News. low. level. of. Journalism.

I can understand Vanity Fair printing this dribble, but what's it doing on the Escapist?

...? Did you actually read the article or are you just commenting based on the title? Or are you doing other, more nefarious, things? Disney already has the right to Lucas properties. They bought the rights to distribute future movie installments from Paramount.

This. is. the. Fox. News. low. level. of. Journalism. information. gathering.

OT- I love Indy to death and can only hope that the movie[s] get the creative attention they deserve... And that Shia doesn't get the lead role... And JJ Abrams stays the fuck away... And Lucas stays the fuck away. I'm not asking too much, am I?

erbkaiser:
Kill off Shia LaDouche in the opening scene and the fifth movie will be off to a great start.

Seconded! To this day i can't figure out whether his inclusion in Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was just an attempt to "appeal to a young demographic" or whether they just wanted to spare Harrison Ford some of the more taxing action scenes. And i can decide which, if the reason, would be the most stupid.

So... Indiana Jones for Kingdom Hearts III, maybe?

So Disney, how are your plans for global conquest coming along? Oh? You've purchased a butt-ton (scientific term) of IP's and now grip them over the heads of our nostalgia like a cudgel. I would hope that we could have a original content and fresh ideas in this time, but wait ... I forgot how easy it is to buy old-ideas and repackage them for the youngsters.

You did good with your approach to Marvel (own it, but leave it well enough alone), but I'm becoming hesitant of one organization owning so many IP's I enjoy. I'm not preaching anything Orwellian, I'm just saying it doesn't take much to ruin a good thing, and Disney has me on pins-and-needles with my nerdy man-god idols or yore ...

Sarge034:
...? Did you actually read the article or are you just commenting based on the title? Or are you doing other, more nefarious, things? Disney already has the right to Lucas properties. They bought the rights to distribute future movie installments from Paramount.

This. is. the. Fox. News. low. level. of. Journalism. information. gathering.

OT- I love Indy to death and can only hope that the movie[s] get the creative attention they deserve... And that Shia doesn't get the lead role... And JJ Abrams stays the fuck away... And Lucas stays the fuck away. I'm not asking too much, am I?

Yeah, okay, I see it now. I had to go Vanity who actually wrote that the deal was with Paramount, but I can see that I was wrong. I mean, I guess I just assumed that, since the deal with Luscas Films was that Disney got all of Lucas' intellectual property that Indiana Jones was already theirs.

Under the terms of the deal, Paramount maintains distribution rights for the original trilogy, plus this other movie called Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, if anyone wants to fess up to that.

Missing from the announcement is any word on a fifth movie in the Jones franchise.

The way that it's written, on the Escapist anyway, made it seem like there was 0 news here. You can't fault me for interpreting it that way. If you were to write this story, would you focus on the lack of announcements or would you focus on how Disney made a deal with Paramount?

Pebkio:

Under the terms of the deal, Paramount maintains distribution rights for the original trilogy, plus this other movie called Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, if anyone wants to fess up to that.

Missing from the announcement is any word on a fifth movie in the Jones franchise.

The way that it's written, on the Escapist anyway, made it seem like there was 0 news here. You can't fault me for interpreting it that way. If you were to write this story, would you focus on the lack of announcements or would you focus on how Disney made a deal with Paramount?

How bout the first sentence in this article?

Disney has bought the distribution and marketing rights for all future movies in the Indiana Jones franchise.

So you're right. I can't fault you for "interpreting it that way". I can fault you for simply not reading.

The added focus on a lack of announcements was to clarify that the rights were purchased but that no official statement of intent was made concerning additional movies. In short, the appearance of a fifth movie is speculation based on Disney buying the rights to distribute a, as of yet, nonexistent movie.

Harrison Ford is getting on, and the franchise had as disappointing a send-off as it could want. Please Disney just leave it be. Expecting prequels.

Expecting prequels...and crossovers!

Indiana Jones fights...I dunno, Robocop or something.

Since when did Disney stand for actively ruining childhoods?

This is a sad day.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or