VGX GoTY 2013 Award Roundup - GTA V Wins Game of The Year

Pages 1 2 NEXT

VGX GoTY 2013 Award Roundup - GTA V Wins Game of The Year

Bioshock: Infinte, The Last of Us and indie hit Gone Home took away multiple awards.

blood dragon wasn't even DLC...

-Ezio-:

The Last Of Us wasn't even a good game...

Gone Home beat Papers, Please and The Stanely Parable? Boo.
I mean it wasn't a bad game, it just wasn't nearly as good as the other two.

Other then that, unsurprising results.

As much as I like Blood Dragon getting recognition it really deserved to take best soundtrack above all else and yet didn't even get nominated. I've constantly muted other games music to listen to it while playing instead. I really hope Power Glove scores the next one if Ubisoft follows through on making more.

edit: Also as much as I love Infinite it really isn't the best shooter of the year. The shooting never really felt rewarding to me and just got in the way of progressing the story imo. Maybe they should move away from genre awards and introduce "Best Story" and "Best Actor/Actress" considering how much more than just voice acting was required for games that have such heavy motion capture.

toomuchnothing:
As much as I like Blood Dragon getting recognition it really deserved to take best soundtrack above all else and yet didn't even get nominated. I've constantly muted other games music to listen to it while playing instead. I really hope Power Glove scores the next one if Ubisoft follows through on making more.

edit: Also as much as I love Infinite it really isn't the best shooter of the year. The shooting never really felt rewarding to me and just got in the way of progressing the story imo. Maybe they should move away from genre awards and introduce "Best Story" and "Best Actor/Actress" considering how much more than just voice acting was required for games that have such heavy motion capture.

still rather infinite won best shooter than cod. sure I'm not the only one.

I foresee much anger brewing in the not too distant future over GTA V winning GotY...

GTA V was a pretty good game, but I always had an itching feeling that something was missing while I was playing it...oh well, good for it, it was a fun game.

Surprised to see Fire Emblem: Awakening and Pokemon X&Y lose to Ni No Kuni though, interesting.

I'm not sure if GTA V would have been my personal choice, but it doesn't surprise me at all that it won. It also was enough fun that I can't complain about it winning.

I loved Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance so very much. Never expected it to compete with games like these for mainstream awards though.

l3o2828:

-Ezio-:

The Last Of Us wasn't even a good game...

Because I thought it was.

Phrozenflame500:
Gone Home beat Papers, Please and The Stanely Parable? Boo.

Wait, you're surprised a pretentious game about gay romance won an award? Not to be a smartass, but I have some beans here that magically grow. Just $99.99, plus shipping and handling.

And as for Call of Shock: Magical Warfare winning, I wasn't surprised. Granted, it is better than CoD and Battlefield, but I'm sure Metro: Last Light was probably better. And since they just said "Shooter" and not "First-Person Shooter," then The Last Of Us, Tomb Raider, Dead Space 3 (and I could probably come up with others if given more time) would have been much better nominees.

Man, they must have really liked GTA V's soundtrack, especially considering it won GotY and LITERALLY NOTHING ELSE. Was Spike just afraid of the backlash they'd get if they didn't give it GotY? Because I'm not sure they're being genuine about this.

So a game with buggy launch issues, not supporting PC, in game micro transactions that just so happen to work perfectly with all the jobs and activities that got nerfed payouts got GOTY, well I guess I should not be surprised.

So GTA was the best game overall, but wasn't good enough to win any other category it was in (including one where it was beaten by the only game not in the GoTY category) and on top of that Rockstar aren't the best studio? I guess the judges liked the box art.

And why aren't there awards for 'Best Playstation Game' and 'Best PC Game'? They obviously acknowledge their existence since there is Pokemon and a few indie games (which I can't remember being ported to consoles). I stand by my previous assumption that these awards would be a bit naff and that people only watch them to see exclusive trailers.

CriticalMiss:
So GTA was the best game overall, but wasn't good enough to win any other category it was in (including one where it was beaten by the only game not in the GoTY category) and on top of that Rockstar aren't the best studio? I guess the judges liked the box art.

And why aren't there awards for 'Best Playstation Game' and 'Best PC Game'? They obviously acknowledge their existence since there is Pokemon and a few indie games (which I can't remember being ported to consoles). I stand by my previous assumption that these awards would be a bit naff and that people only watch them to see exclusive trailers.

I have a feeling you didn't notice there was a second page... There WAS a best Playstation game category.

in other news, though its been pointed out, Blood Dragon was NOT dlc. It was a standalone game.

I guess I saved myself couple of hours by not watching it. Predictable as always.

Yabba:
[...]not supporting PC,[...]

What's that got to do with the game's quality? At all?

Anyways, shouldn't the studio that made the GotY also be Studio of the year? I mean, if any of the other nominees had released multiple games this year it would have been understandable, but none of them released more than one game, so it doesn't really make any sense.

Not a bad spread of results. I do reckon it's a bit weird that Bioshock: Infinite won Best Shooter, since the shooting was probably the least interesting thing about it.

Also, was Gone Home really that good? Papers Please and The Stanley Parable were incredible, I was honestly expecting one of them to win the indie award.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, complaints, problems, disagreements, usual post-award show rhetoric, blah, blah blah.

But you know what? Considering that, new name or not, this is still the SPIKE Video Game Awards, this is probably the best show they put together in years. I didn't watch it, of course, God no, but their nominees and results actually suggest the tiniest hint of knowledge about the industry. Give the newly dubbed VGXs a few more years, and they might actually come close to almost being almost passable. Assuming it improves, and doesn't just level out or get worse.

Well, better GTA than BI or TLOU.

But BI as best shooter? It's the worst on the list in terms os shooting mechanics. It's like they wanted to compensate BI since he deserved 'something'.

Also while I recently learned that Titanfall looks awesome, I still thought Watch Dog's was by far the most anticipated game.

"DLC"Downloadable content, usually only content you can only download and generally based on assets and the engine of a main game.

By all accounts Blood Dragon qualifies in spades. Don't see the issue.

I'm kinda mad GTA V won Game of the Year but I did like it alot.

I think it had much more to do with the advertising of the damn thing.

Though Portable Game should have been Pokemon X/Y

Barely agreed with anything, besides on the loosest passable sense of candidate selection in some cases.

These video game award shows are just following along from the Hollywood model of being elaborate and ultimately hollow, scrupulously bankrupt promo/marketing circuses.

This is why I've never understood these things, gta is best over all but it gets beaten in other categories? It's best overall but isn't that great as an xbox game or an action adventure?

Then there is the best "xbox game" but all the runners up (maybe even the winner, I'm not sure) are multi-platform. Why have best xbox game if they are multi-platform and where is best ps3 game?

I never watched it but where is stuff like best musical score? Best horror?

Completely expected.

I'm glad I didn't watch then, it would have been a waste of my time.

st0pnsw0p:

Yabba:

A great deal if you happen to be a pc gamer.

Meh, dont agree with GOTY. GTA V is good, very good even, but I would not have given it GOTY.
Studio of the Year : Meh, i agree. Cant judge all contestants.
Best shooter: F*ck. Metro Last Light had to win that one. Not Infinite. And not the other 2 by far.
Best adventure: I agree, though TLOU is a close second.
Best Indie game: All are great here, though The Stanley Parable is my choice.
Best RPG: Cant say.
Best fighting game: I agree
Best Racing: F1 for me
Best DLC: The winner is not a DLC...
Best Xbox Game: GTA V. Did they get anything else really?

Could have been worse.

It's an absolute crime that Gone Home won any categories at all much less winning against so much better games, but otherwise, nothing terrible.

AC4 certainly deserves its prize, as does Blood Dragon.

GOTY may be correct, but I never actually got GTA 5 so I can't really speak on that one.

I was also extremely pleased that neither Battlefield 4 OR Call of Duty took a single award during the entire show.

As a complete side note, Joel McHale is now one of my favorite people of all time. I wish I could meet him just to shake his hand and say thank you for making the VGX worth while. Judging by his tweets I fully expect Jim Sterling to have an episode where he explains how Joel is a horrible person and then the ensuing comments sections lasts for approximately 15 pages of sexism/transsexualism/professionalism arguing with bans and warnings every few posts.

Should be good. I hope to see you all there.

TizzytheTormentor:

GTA V was a pretty good game, but I always had an itching feeling that something was missing while I was playing it...oh well, good for it, it was a fun game.

Thats because there was. The game world was a ghost town because old consoles are incapable of running proper population. Lets just hope we can see that on other machines.

omega 616:
This is why I've never understood these things, gta is best over all but it gets beaten in other categories? It's best overall but isn't that great as an xbox game or an action adventure?

Then there is the best "xbox game" but all the runners up (maybe even the winner, I'm not sure) are multi-platform. Why have best xbox game if they are multi-platform and where is best ps3 game?

I never watched it but where is stuff like best musical score? Best horror?

It is possible to be a jack of all trades and master of none. Some games may have excelled in some single category but were terrible otherwise, while GTA was good but not great in everything?
Also there is a second page where they have PS, Nintendo ir PC (though sohuld be renamed indie, becuase thats really not all PC gaming offered) categories.

btw GTA did win best musical score too.

Best Shooter
Winner: Bioshock Infinite

....What?

No, seriously. What?

How the sweet fuck is Bioshock the best shooter of the year? What the hell are these people smoking?

Sir Thomas Sean Connery:
Joel Mchale is teh best

Really? All I saw were bad, and dated, jokes, and sarcastic bullying all delivered with the sincerity of a guy who clearly doesn't want to be there. Yeah Joel, you're a real a trendsetter when you call us fat idiots sitting in our underwear. Real 'Punk' stuff, very transgressive.

It's unfortunate because he IS a funny guy. He was just in a situation he didn't want to be in, and with a terrible script. I guess you could say he did all he could, but it wasn't much

Phrozenflame500:
Gone Home beat Papers, Please and The Stanley Parable? Boo.

I agree. Not a bad game, but simply far outclassed.

The Stanley Parable does a lot more with that whole interactive narrative experience thing Gone Home and stuff like Dear Esther tried. I find neither of those games made use of choice, one of the most defining characteristics of games, while Stanley Parable embraced it, subverted it and would've been impossible without it

And Papers, Please? IMO it provides a far more gutwrenching emotional ride than Gone Home. I honestly had cold sweat running down my back at points.

But ... Gone Home is pretty much the game equivalent of Oscar Bait. So, I really don't see it as any surprise that it won both its categories.

Gotta agree that Papers Please should have won everything over Gone Home. I'd say Stanley Parable too, but I guess you could argue that it didn't really come out this year. I also don't get the Xbox and Playstation category. Besides The Last of Us all the other nominees were also available on the other system, doesn't really make sense if you ask me. Ah well, guess I'm glad I skipped it last night.

mirage202:
Best Shooter
Winner: Bioshock Infinite

....What?

No, seriously. What?

How the sweet fuck is Bioshock the best shooter of the year? What the hell are these people smoking?

I assume they mean best "Game that is in the shooter category" as opposed to "Game with the best shooting in it". Bioshock may be loved for it's story and characters more than it's combat, but it is in the same genre as COD and Halo.

I think that's actually a pretty respectable list. It's nice to see the more unique games taking a lot of the rewards with them. I'm a little sad that Tomb Raider didn't pick up anything, but by all accounts ACIV is a great game

st0pnsw0p:

Yabba:

Anyways, shouldn't the studio that made the GotY also be Studio of the year? I mean, if any of the other nominees had released multiple games this year it would have been understandable, but none of them released more than one game, so it doesn't really make any sense.

It does sent, but for a game series that is successful only because the originals sold well on PC it makes me think GTA5 does not deserve it.

trty00:

Sir Thomas Sean Connery:
snip

Really? All I saw were bad, and dated, jokes, and sarcastic bullying all delivered with the sincerity of a guy who clearly doesn't want to be there. Yeah Joel, you're a real a trendsetter when you call us fat idiots sitting in our underwear. Real 'Punk' stuff, very transgressive.

It's unfortunate because he IS a funny guy. He was just in a situation he didn't want to be in, and with a terrible script. I guess you could say he did all he could, but it wasn't much

Honestly, at the end of the show I was actually enjoying the stuff he was doing PRECISELY because the VGX was such bullshit. He clearly wasn't interested in most of the scripted lines - which is where I think most of the 'lul vidya gamers are shit' quotes came from (and Spike TV has NEVER been gamer-friendly, despite hosting the VGAs) - and he had the honesty to call the VGX out on some serious bullshit. The other host hampering on about 'Titanfall' at the cost of other games he didn't even give two shits about? How heavily scripted this show was? How much it scaled back in production costs ('I'm here at the VGX, where we have... a balcony')?

Yeah, it was all a joke, and I'm at least grateful he called the VGX out on that crap. My only wish is that I could've drunk myself silly during that "awards show"... maybe that would've made the whole thing more entertaining!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here