EA Gives $1.65 Million To American Cancer Society

Pages 1 2 NEXT

EA Gives $1.65 Million To American Cancer Society

Those Humble Origin Bundles paid off big time.

EA's Humble Origin Bundle paid off big time, generating $10.5 million from 2.1 million sales, and EA has donated $1.65 million to the American Cancer Society. The rest is split between the Human Rights Foundation, Watsi global healthcare foundation, the San Francisco AIDS Foundation, GamesAid, and the American Red Cross.

"We are very grateful for the support of Humble Bundle and their customers through this collaboration," said Lin Mac Master of the American Cancer Society. "The American Cancer Society turned 100 years old this year, and efforts like this will help us make this cancer's last century."

The Humble Origin Bundle included titles like Dead Space 1 and 3, Crysis 2 Maximum Edition, Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box, Mirror's Edge, and as a bonus for the more-than-average giver, Battlefield 3 and The Sims Starter Pack. It raised about half its $10.5 million total in just 2 days, and is the single biggest Humble Bundle in the series' history.

"Thank you again to all our fans who picked up the bundle and donated to these great charities," says EA. "We were really... well, humbled... by your response!"

Source: Game Politics

Good on EA, They seem to be really working at turning their image around, which I applaud them for. Still a few things that need to be turned around, but good progres,, lets just hope they dont backslide too horribly.

yes. err. how many millions does the ceo and board carry away each year?

How many millions does one truly need to live comfortably?
I have to live with 22k€/year after taxes, and i do manage.

So no, i am not wowed by EA handing out what amounts to TAX DEDACTABLE peanuts.

inb4 people condemning them for having the gall to give out thousands and thousands of games for dirt cheap and donating money they didn't have to dona-DAMMIT.

Oh well. I'll raise my glass to you anyways, EA. You done good.

Credossuck:

Yeah, how dare they try to help. Unless they're willing to liquidate all their assets and donate it to charity, they aren't really giving.

Give me a break. $1.65M is a hell of a lot of money, and will do a lot of good. Props to EA. It's not like I'm instantly going to reverse my opinion on them, but at least they're trying to get better.

As nice a gesture as it is to me(as someone who lost his mother to cancer), I'd rather they stopped these slimy publicity stunts and actually turned their fucking company around.

1. Get rid of Origin.
2. Stop harassing your subsidiaries with ridiculous deadlines and stop treating them like slaves.
3. Fix your shitty support site.
4. Work towards better quality games, rather than higher profit margins.
5. Get inhouse testers and show the gaming world how to treat them nicely, pay them decently and give them decent working conditions.
6. Beg for forgiveness and divide ALL profits between employee bonuses and charity for the next five years to make up for your shitty behaviour.

Until then, I'll still boycott everything EA and their subsidiaries release and keep advising people to do the same.
EA is not the worst company because they dump toxic waste in the sea or use slave labour, but because they're the worst example of commercialization in gaming, taking over game studios that were the pinnacle of developers who made games out of love for their work and turning them into mechanized franchise milking facilities.

Edit; When I say employee bonuses, I mean bonuses for actual developers, not CEO's, financial or marketing.

That's nice and all, but it doesn't wash away the other scummy things they do.

Giving to charity is a wonderful thing, but being decent to your customers will go a lot farther into getting you out of that Worst Company in America title for the third year in a row.

Avaholic03:

Credossuck:

Yeah, how dare they try to help. Unless they're willing to liquidate all their assets and donate it to charity, they aren't really giving.

This.

I say that we remain unimpressed and dour towards everything he ever does until he sells his car and living space to donate to charity. They need the money more than he does.

Did they cure it? Else gtfo!

But seriously well done /golfclap for EA.

$10.5 million raised. The buyers get to decide where the profits go to right? ugh it feels weak when the buyers most likely donated over 50% of those sales to charity and EA comes out the hero with their 10% donation. Dont get me wrong any donation to charity is an amazing thing, I wish I could be as charitable yet my expenses dont allow it. Just annoys me that people praise a company that is so morally bankrupt for 1 act of kindness when there a plenty of companies that every day donate millions to charities, when there are hard working people that donate what little they have to charity.
1 Right simply does not correct what seems like a century of wrongs.

Epic_Bubble:

$10.5 million raised. The buyers get to decide where the profits go to right? ugh it feels weak when the buyers most likely donated over 50% of those sales to charity and EA comes out the hero with their 10% donation. Dont get me wrong any donation to charity is an amazing thing, I wish I could be as charitable yet my expenses dont allow it. Just annoys me that people praise a company that is so morally bankrupt for 1 act of kindness when there a plenty of companies that every day donate millions to charities, when there are hard working people that donate what little they have to charity.

Reasonably certain that EA didn't accept any of the money from these Bundle sales themselves. Anything that didn't go to charity from the proceeds will have gone on Humble Bundle fees.

This is pretty awesome. There is literally no way a multi-million dollar anti-cancer donation is not awesome, unless they obtained the money by beating up and looting from cancer patients.

I do not condemn them for donating some ofthe money raised in a sale that was specifically advertised as "and some money gopes to charity!!!".
What i condemn is that i am supposed to be impressed by that public display of cheap PR work, not to mention the fact that its always us that are supoposed to donate for every sort of stuff.
You know what i lobe about Bill gates and some others like him?
They realize how much money they have, and the have set off to do GOOD with that mnoney - not to simply make donations or trying to find new ways to make more money, but genuine work towards bettering the conditions other human being live in.

That are people i applaud, not a company on a PR crusade.

Bobby kotic made what, 60+ Million dollars last year?
Ricitello got 15 million upon leaving?

And this is peanuts as far as money being siphoned off into useless pockets is concerned...
Oh and we have not even begun with State spending....

TH EU has created a fund of over 700 billion Euros which are in fact not existing but a fictional number everyone just agrees is a reality for the purpose of bailing out thier banks and put the debt onto its citizens.
But when researchers as kfor money to FIX our damn problems they get cut off harschly.

There is no money for proper research, education and keeping infrastructure intact but we have cash to burn on bad banks, eurofighters and
MASSIVE Spy organisations.

So no. 1.6 million on a good cause by a company that just has said it would like not to be voted as worst company is not wowing me.
Not to mention that the simplest way of achieving that would be to stop being such corporate fcks.

Avaholic03:

Give me a break. $1.65M is a hell of a lot of money, and will do a lot of good. Props to EA. It's not like I'm instantly going to reverse my opinion on them, but at least they're trying to get better.

lacktheknack:

This.

I say that we remain unimpressed and dour towards everything he ever does until he sells his car and living space to donate to charity. They need the money more than he does.

I hope you two are aware that the humble bundle games sold so much, because people wouldn't pay the ridiculous prices for these relatively old games.

This is just a demonstration of their ability to give on a whim and it's out of some sort of misbelief that they just have to play nice, to not get voted shittiest company for the third year in a row.
There's a huge difference between philantropy for publicity and changing your ways. EA's just taking the easy road.

Charity doesn't have to be done by sacrifice, but this is an instance where it should, if they want any sympathy.

Kolyarut:

Reasonably certain that EA didn't accept any of the money from these Bundle sales themselves. Anything that didn't go to charity from the proceeds will have gone on Humble Bundle fees.

Buyers can decide where there money goes, thats the great thing about the humble bundle. You can choose what ever percent of what to play to go to the humble bundle tip, the game developers, or the charities.

But yes you can say all $25 of what I pay to go to charities if one wants.

Epic_Bubble:

They actually put all those games in the bundle and purchasers didn't have an option to give any to EA.

So... about 90% of the money went to charity (the rest went to the Humble Bundle guys) and EA didn't take a cut at all.

Also, "what feels like a century of wrongs"? Jesus Christ, they only started their infamous studio-eating less than a decade ago. And that's really the worst they've done. They're not irredeemable child murders, they're a publisher that dabbled in franchise milking (not as bad as Activision), archaic DRM schemes (not as bad as Ubisoft) and release medium-to-high quality games. But everyone acts as if EA literally ate their mother and wiped its lips with their dog.

New CEO, new goals, new year, new everything, their distribution platform isn't even a fraction as bad as people say it is, and a massive act of charity to kick it off. Can we, as gamers, PLEASE leave the infamous masses of baggage that people laugh at us for lugging around and acknowledge when they do something good in literally every way, shape and form?

So was this a donation from EA separate from the amount raised with the humble bundle or is it just that $1.65 million of the humble bundle money went to that charity and EA are acting like they did it themselves? Either way, that's a lot of money going towards giving cancer the finger. It doesn't make EA a better company though.

Epic_Bubble:

$10.5 million raised. The buyers get to decide where the profits go to right? ugh it feels weak when the buyers most likely donated over 50% of those sales to charity and EA comes out the hero with their 10% donation.

10% of the donation went to one charity. The rest is split between multiple other charities.

Title of this thread should be altered to read "EA donates 10.5 million to charity", in all honesty, since people are going to keep not reading the article and making that mistake.

Except that they've done far more than one right in the past few months, it's just that because it's EA gamers are going to constantly move the goalposts so that nothing they do is ever enough to "forgive" them.

OT: Good on them. While I hope to see them loosen their tyrannical grip on the games they make in the future, it's great that they managed to raise so much money.

Smilomaniac:

This is just a demonstration of their ability to give on a whim and it's out of some sort of misbelief that they just have to play nice, to not get voted shittiest company for the third year in a row.
There's a huge difference between philantropy for publicity and changing your ways. EA's just taking the easy road.

Charity doesn't have to be done by sacrifice, but this is an instance where it should, if they want any sympathy.

... Yeah I hear ya. If the American Cancer Society had any balls at all they would have thrown that money back in EAs face and told them to quit with the cheap publicity stunts and make with the sweeping company wide policy changes. The money would have value and be put to good use if it had been given for a better reason, but since this is EA money the ACS is morally obligated to spend it on hookers and blow. If only a company we like more had donated the money instead.

Makes me sick :/

Epic_Bubble:

Kolyarut:

Buyers can decide where there money goes, thats the great thing about the humble bundle. You can choose what ever percent of what to play to go to the humble bundle tip, the game developers, or the charities.

But yes you can say all $25 of what I pay to go to charities if one wants.

No, that's what I'm saying - specifically in the case of this Humble Bundle in particular, they disabled the ability to split profits to the developer. 100% went to Charity or the Bundle company.

CriticalMiss:
So was this a donation from EA separate from the amount raised with the humble bundle or is it just that $1.65 million of the humble bundle money went to that charity and EA are acting like they did it themselves? Either way, that's a lot of money going towards giving cancer the finger. It doesn't make EA a better company though.

$1.65M was the chunk of the $10.5M total that went to the Cancer Society. The rest went to the other charities (I sentall of mine to Watsi, for instance).

Also, it totally does make them a better company. It's an indicator of where their priorities are turning. Yes, it's a stunt, but it's a stunt they were willing to take.

People keep saying that EA should "just be less awful" instead of doing stuff like this.. This is vague and useless advice and only shows that gamers don't actually know what they want, because this is a very clear sign that they're being less awful.

EDIT:

Kolyarut:
No, that's what I'm saying - specifically in the case of this Humble Bundle in particular, they disabled the ability to split profits to the developer. 100% went to Charity or the Bundle company.

Verified.

Kolyarut:
Yeah - if the American Cancer Society had any balls they'd have given more people cancer just to spite EA! Fight the machine!

Also verified! :D

shrekfan246:
Except that they've done far more than one right in the past few months, it's just that because it's EA gamers are going to constantly move the goalposts so that nothing they do is ever enough to "forgive" them.

Also also verified. :(

EvilRoy:

Smilomaniac:

... Yeah I hear ya. If the American Cancer Society had any balls at all they would have thrown that money back in EAs face and told them to quit with the cheap publicity stunts and make with the sweeping company wide policy changes. The money would have value and be put to good use if it had been given for a better reason, but since this is EA money the ACS is morally obligated to spend it on hookers and blow. If only a company we like more had donated the money instead.

Makes me sick :/

Yeah - if the American Cancer Society had any balls they'd have given more people cancer just to spite EA! Fight the machine!

Fuck EA! How dare they to...

Say what? Oh, you mean they did something good? Money for cancer society? Huh, that really is good.

Well done, EA.

lacktheknack:

Also, "what feels like a century of wrongs"? Jesus Christ, they only started their infamous studio-eating less than a decade ago. And that's really the worst they've done. They're not irredeemable child murders, they're a publisher that dabbled in franchise milking (not as bad as Activision), archaic DRM schemes (not as bad as Ubisoft) and release medium-to-high quality games. But everyone acts as if EA literally ate their mother and wiped its lips with their dog.

New CEO, new goals, new year, new everything, their distribution platform isn't even a fraction as bad as people say it is, and a massive act of charity to kick it off. Can we, as gamers, PLEASE leave the infamous masses of baggage that people laugh at us for lugging around and acknowledge when they do something good in literally every way, shape and form?

Ehh...

While I fully agree that this is a positive thing for EA to have done, and the company did good this time, their "studio eating" really started in the late 90's, with multiple complete overhauls of the companies they bought before promptly shutting them down, so it's slightly more than a decade ago, with quite a number of good studios in that time (but still nowhere near a century)

They are still committed to including multiplayer and microtransactions in their full price games (in the style of Dead Space and Mass Effect 3, which while creating a public outcry plenty of money was still spent on the mechanics) and Kaspersky caught them using Origin to create a botnet to sign a third party internet poll supporting EA's stance on gay rights (a.k.a. the Bioware same gender romance options) http://www.maxconsole.com/maxcon_forums/threads/187806-Is-EA-using-Origin-to-illegally-sign-anti-gay-bullying-petition

So yeah, EA isn't all bad, and their charity work should be applauded, but they can be pretty damn bad when they want to be.

Meh I picked it up because it was the only time I'd likely be able to get any of the games on sale. I gave away all my Origin keys on /r/pcmasterrace on reddit and kept the steam keys. Good for EA for giving to charity, but giving money to a chairty is the easiest thing in the world when you're rich. You don't get respect for it. Plus most do it for tax purposes so there you go.

lacktheknack:

Epic_Bubble:

They actually put all those games in the bundle and purchasers didn't have an option to give any to EA.

So... about 90% of the money went to charity (the rest went to the Humble Bundle guys) and EA didn't take a cut at all.

I really couldn't agree with this statement more. It's difficult to expect the gamer community to be taken as a mature group when the most vocal of people tend to hold grudges like a ten year old who had their colored pencils broken by the school bully that actually happens to be working on making themselves a better person.

At any rate, good on EA. I hope they continue to work on bettering themselves.

Seriously, if they win the Golden Poo again, considering just how many companies with substantially worse business practices than what EA used to have, I'm going to be disappointed to say in the least.

Hero in a half shell:
They are still committed to including multiplayer and microtransactions in their full price games (in the style of Dead Space and Mass Effect 3, which while creating a public outcry plenty of money was still spent on the mechanics) and Kaspersky caught them using Origin to create a botnet to sign a third party internet poll supporting EA's stance on gay rights (a.k.a. the Bioware same gender romance options)

That's an interesting story but I'm a little bit sceptical about why I can't find a source for it other than a random forum post - if this was a thing why didn't it turn into a full-fledged news story? It's not like the games press is particularly on EA's side...

Credossuck:

Seriously, EA really has some nerve. If their charity event doesn't end with them in crippling debt then it's not really charity, is it? Have a heart EA.

Honestly, I don't get this mind set. Every time a rich person/company gives millions to a good cause someone has to come out of the woodwork and complain that, because their rich, they could/should have given more. As if that makes them bad people. When did society set a benchmark for how much you have to donate before your "donation" counts? That money may save someones life, and I doubt those people will be angry that EA didn't donate more. Yes, EA is a terrible anti-consumer company, but there's really no point in trying to find every bit of bad in a good situation. If anything EA should be applauded into doing things like this more often.

Maybe I'm just a crazy Catholic who believes that there's a guy looking down as I... commit naughty things, but I take the approach that rather than praising EA for giving "out of their wealth", that we should spotlight those who give "out of their poverty".

Thats very kind of you EA! Good on you.

Now lets try something that doesn't involve money to garner respect...
share that same kind of compassion to your customers!

Good luck trying to change you're image, cause if you backpedal just one teeeeeny tiiiiny lil bit...
THE INTERNET WILL EAT. YOU. ALIVE.
^_^

just a matter of time until one guy here starts to claim that EA's games were so bad that they gave them cancer in the first place.

if you reach a point in reputation there is absolutely nothing yo can do to stop the bile and bitterness of some people.

lacktheknack:

CriticalMiss:

Kolyarut:

Verified.

Kolyarut:

Also verified! :D

[quote="shrekfan246" post="7.836281.20489913"]Except that they've done far more than one right in the past few months, it's just that because it's EA gamers are going to constantly move the goalposts so that nothing they do is ever enough to "forgive" them.

Also also verified. :(

vertify this:
bananas are mostly yellow on the inside.

rhizhim:
vertify this:

Opened five bananas. They were mostly white, except for one that was yellow and green and black inside.

Cannot verify. D:

Kolyarut:

Hero in a half shell:
They are still committed to including multiplayer and microtransactions in their full price games (in the style of Dead Space and Mass Effect 3, which while creating a public outcry plenty of money was still spent on the mechanics) and Kaspersky caught them using Origin to create a botnet to sign a third party internet poll supporting EA's stance on gay rights (a.k.a. the Bioware same gender romance options)

That's an interesting story but I'm a little bit sceptical about why I can't find a source for it other than a random forum post - if this was a thing why didn't it turn into a full-fledged news story? It's not like the games press is particularly on EA's side...

I don't know, it blew over quite quickly because the gay rights website just closed down the poll, and the father obviously never investigated it further, so it wasn't really a current story anymore? Maybe they thought videogame companies doing shady digital stuff with their programs wasn't really front page headlines so no one bothered to follow it up?
It was never verified, I suspect trying to get EA to admit to bot netting could be very costly if they took you for slander, and with just a few lines of code from Kaspersky and an unwilling witness (the activist website didn't want to 100% confirm it was hacked, even though it clearly was, and just distanced itself from the poll and forgot about it as soon as the issues arose) it isn't the most compelling hurdle to overcome for a story very few people will be interested in anyway.

lacktheknack:

rhizhim:
vertify this:

Opened five bananas. They were mostly white, except for one that was yellow and green and black inside.

Cannot verify. D:

you have sold your soul to the apple lobby....

Mmmmm... the fresh smell of trying to hard. Nothing finer.

Okay okay, I'm being facicious. Although this quote: ""Thank you again to all our fans who picked up the bundle and donated to these great charities. We were really... well, humbled... by your response!" That was written way ahead of time. Bleh, I hate quotes like those.

STILL! As obvious as this is a ploy for EA to turn their image right around... they will never be able to beat out the actual charities they donated to for "Best Company". Just a little bit of irony. Also, it's worth pointing out that the Humble Bundle was going on in the years they got "Worst Company" so I don't see much difference being made. Unless this is the first time, in three years, that EA decided to participate.

And if that's the case, the obviousness of why they did this (for their image over doing something good) is so disgusting it would make me want to puke.

Pebkio:
And if that's the case, the obviousness of why they did this (for their image over doing something good) is so disgusting it would make me want to puke.

Please explain why.

Seriously. Is charity only useful if it doesn't affect people's view of you at all?

Think reeeeeally carefully.

lacktheknack:

Please explain why.

Seriously. Is charity only useful if it doesn't affect people's view of you at all?

Think reeeeeally carefully.

Okay... thinking really hard... really reeeaaaallllly hard. Yes, actually. That's, in fact, the biggest problem I have with charity events. If you have to attach incentives to a charity (ie. offering products at a discount or making you look good in the media) then everyone involved really needs to reevaluate what "doing the right thing" means.

Besides, those charities were around before and if EA didn't get involved until they had an image problem, it says more about how they're only doing this for personal gain... like an investment... than it does about them giving to the needy.

The people being helped by the charity need help, true enough, but if EA can't be bothered to help until they can personally benefit from the suffering of others... then yes, it makes me want to puke.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here