Xbox One Sales Top Two Million in 18 Days, Says Microsoft

Xbox One Sales Top Two Million in 18 Days, Says Microsoft

xbox one

Xbox One: More than two million served.

In case you didn't already know. People are buying a lot of next-gen consoles. Microsoft drove that point home yet again today, announcing they've sold more than two million Xbox Ones to players since the console's international launch 18 days ago. According to Microsoft, that's 111,111 per day.

"We continue to be humbled and overwhelmed by the positive response from our fans," Xbox marketing and strategy vice president Yusuf Mehdi wrote in a prepared statement. "We are thrilled to see sales of Xbox One on a record-setting pace, with over 2 million Xbox One consoles in homes around the world. Demand is exceeding supply in our 13 launch markets and Xbox One is sold out at most retailers."

Despite reports complaining about of a range of software and hardware issues, both PS4s and Xbox Ones having been flying off the shelf since launch in record numbers. Sony announced that PS4 hardware sales crossed the two million-mark last week.

While stores are getting resupplied, neither device is exactly easy to find at this point. In the past, such shortages might have prompted a conspiracy theory about console-makers and retailers holding back units, colluding to whip the public into hardware-buying frenzy this holiday season, but not this time. Apparently now we're just buying as fast as they can ship them.

Source: Xbox Wire

Michael Epstein:
Demand is exceeding supply in our 13 launch markets and Xbox One is sold out at most retailers."

Thats funny because i just past by a tower of around 20 XBones in my HiFi store arount the corner 30 minutes ago.
At least here in Germany no one gives a shit it seems.

Honestly personal perspective on this is almost pointless. I remember launches in years past and one place is sold out the next store still had a bunch. It comes down to what a retailer expected to sale if they were wrong they can easily have a bunch sitting around.

Yeah, I can see that. When I was going to purchase my Xbone, all my local EB Games stores (northern Melbourne, Australia) were completely sold out (mind, I called fairly late in the business day). Got it the next day though, since they restocked, but even then the store only had 4 left when I rocked up.

Those are nice numbers and that's nice that it is apparently selling well for them in general, but all the statistics in the world doesn't help the four my store has had for almost a week get sold.

Michael Epstein:

While stores are getting resupplied, neither device is exactly easy to find at this point. In the past, such shortages might have prompted a conspiracy theory about console-makers and retailers holding back units, colluding to whip the public into hardware-buying frenzy this holiday season, but not this time. Apparently now we're just buying as fast as they can ship them.

Stores may be sold out, but there are quite a few units up for sale on various websites. Seems many people are buying up systems only to resale them at a higher price. Much like the story where they guy in Europe paid for a picture of a Xbox One. People are exploiting the limited supply to their benefit. Not exactly a kind thing towards those that want to PLAY on the units. Almost feel sorry for them when the supply increases they'll get less than top dollar for them. ALMOST.

Considering the PS4 hasn't been released in Japan, and Playstation has always been the main console over there, I expect the difference between the two will grow quite a lot. Although the XBone is also not released in a fair few countries, so perhaps that will balance it out a bit.

Either way, the new generation is off to a good start, at least in the hardware department. I haven't heard many good things said about the new games people bought them for though.

Even as a PS4 owner, this is good news. Healthy competition is good in this business, it makes exclusive devs step up their game and its always fun to crack open the bevvies, sit back and have a good laugh at the youtube/kotaku comments sections.

They're Psyching the market. Simple technique. Release too few Xbox Ones to meet demands, then act all surprised when they sell out.

It gets people hyped up. Consumer mentality is: OOoooooh, its selling well? Must be good. Gonna get me one of those.

SILENTrampancy:
They're Psyching the market. Simple technique. Release too few Xbox Ones to meet demands, then act all surprised when they sell out.

It gets people hyped up. Consumer mentality is: OOoooooh, its selling well? Must be good. Gonna get me one of those.

I'd hardly call two million few, but maybe that's just me. The Best Buy near me has been getting a steady supply of them and they've consistently been sold quickly.

I'm not one to buy consoles on day one (neither have many games that interest me at this point anyway - except for the Wii U which has been out for a while now), but I can't deny that both consoles have been selling like crazy. The main Future Shop PS4 launch party in my city had a line around multiple blocks. Speaking to store clerks though it seems they've been having a tougher time with the PS4 because they've had less stock of them compared to X1 and haven't been able to keep up with demand.

The demand's there for both consoles. Even if most people that frequent the escapist are not interested in the Xbox, there's a wealth of people that do. I went to both launch parties and people seem pretty excited for both the Xbox and the PS.

People are cynical. As much as I'd prefer the PS4 to do better than the Xbone, it's still a good sign that people are willing to spend money on video games. And competition is still good.

I mean, there was a good chance that both consoles would fail. Before the PS4/Xbone, 2 out of the 3 previous gaming consoles performed poorly (only the 3DS has sold well; the Wii U and Vita have not). So yeah. I can't get too mad. Still hopeful that the PR failure halfway through the year hurts Microsoft a little, but eh. Whatever.

Alek The Great:

SILENTrampancy:

I'd hardly call two million few, but maybe that's just me. The Best Buy near me has been getting a steady supply of them and they've consistently been sold quickly.

I'm not one to buy consoles on day one (neither have many games that interest me at this point anyway - except for the Wii U which has been out for a while now), but I can't deny that both consoles have been selling like crazy. The main Future Shop PS4 launch party in my city had a line around multiple blocks. Speaking to store clerks though it seems they've been having a tougher time with the PS4 because they've had less stock of them compared to X1 and haven't been able to keep up with demand.

The demand's there for both consoles. Even if most people that frequent the escapist are not interested in the Xbox, there's a wealth of people that do. I went to both launch parties and people seem pretty excited for both the Xbox and the PS.

So you replied to me just to nitpick my argument?

SILENTrampancy:

I guess you could say I was nitpicking, but I simply disagreed with your statement that too few Xbox Ones were released overall. I'm not denying that the tactic where hardware is released in short supply to create a seeming increase in demand exists, I just don't believe that's what's happening this time around (or at least is the primary cause of the console selling so well).

On the other hand, if you're not psyched about a product you're about to plop around half a grand on then you're either doing it wrong or have too much money to care so I agree in that regard that these companies need to get people hyped up.

SILENTrampancy:

Geez, how unnecessarily aggressive was that?

He wasn't even nitpicking, really. Unless you view a minor disagreement as nitpicking.

didn't they measure sales to retailers instead of customers as they did in some countries last gen...

Alek The Great:

SILENTrampancy:

I guess you could say I was nitpicking, but I simply disagreed with your statement that too few Xbox Ones were released overall. I'm not denying that the tactic where hardware is released in short supply to create a seeming increase in demand exists, I just don't believe that's what's happening this time around (or at least is the primary cause of the console selling so well).

On the other hand, if you're not psyched about a product you're about to plop around half a grand on then you're either doing it wrong or have too much money to care so I agree in that regard that these companies need to get people hyped up.

I never stated that.

I only made an observation on their behavior and guessing at their reasons.

Caiphus:

SILENTrampancy:

Geez, how unnecessarily aggressive was that?

He wasn't even nitpicking, really. Unless you view a minor disagreement as nitpicking.

Not very. He mistook my meaning and I was legitimately confused. Defensive response gets a more rapid answer. Clarification after the fact resolves conflict.

Better to ask forgiveness than permission.

SILENTrampancy:

Not very. He mistook my meaning and I was legitimately confused. Defensive response gets a more rapid answer. Clarification after the fact resolves conflict.

Better to ask forgiveness than permission.

I'm sorry; you won't convince me on this, it was unjustifiably aggressive. Even if you were confused.

As to the rest of it, I don't understand. You answered defensively (or aggressively, again I would argue) to provoke a quick response?

I would humbly suggest you follow your own principle, despite it being a clever way of saying "shoot first, ask questions later".

So in other words, prior predictions were correct: the PS4 has more sales, and Microsoft was holding off to make a 2 million milestone announcement to try and make things sound much closer than they are.

Alek The Great:

It definitely is, though. Because the console limited its supply simply by releasing in 13 countries at the same time, and they did that very much on purpose so that their numbers would roughly rival the PS4's, and so that they could claim that it's "selling out everywhere" when in reality it's just limited supply spread across the various countries.

Whereas the PS4 is genuinely "selling out everywhere" because it's released in a much more gradual series of stages, providing tons of supply to each region and people are just snapping it all up.

Well, good for Microsoft. They made a lot of PR mistakes and then walked their way back. I'm not going their route this time (not when there's talk of selling off that division), but I'm surprised it has been as positive for them so far. Interestingly enough, a lot of the XBO buyers I know are stating their desire to get it because of all their friends rather than the system or games themselves. So they've successfully established that social element.

It is interesting that Sony is tracking right alongside Microsoft. America was usually Microsoft's domain and the rest of the world is Sony's. Could be another disparate generation if that holds true but with Sony matching MS in America.

CriticKitten:
So in other words, prior predictions were correct: the PS4 has more sales, and Microsoft was holding off to make a 2 million milestone announcement to try and make things sound much closer than they are.

Alek The Great:

It definitely is, though. Because the console limited its supply simply by releasing in 13 countries at the same time, and they did that very much on purpose so that their numbers would roughly rival the PS4's, and so that they could claim that it's "selling out everywhere" when in reality it's just limited supply spread across the various countries.

Whereas the PS4 is genuinely "selling out everywhere" because it's released in a much more gradual series of stages, providing tons of supply to each region and people are just snapping it all up.

I'm not sure I understand your argument here. You seem to be saying that Microsoft limited their regions so that it looks like they are selling out more, whereas Sony is also staggering their launch, but this somehow proves that they have had more consoles produced?

First of all, wouldn't it make more sense to release in *more* regions if you want your console to be sold out faster in each region? Let's say that you have 2 million units that you want to sell and you had an option to sell your product in 10 regions or 20 regions. Then surely if you wanted to have a more limited supply in each region so that it seems like it is selling out you would go with the 20 regions option. I mean, if you spread out your units uniformly then you'd have 200,000 units/region with the 10 region option and 100,000 units/region with the 20 region option.

It really doesn't matter though. Considering that production on both consoles started this year, I would say that it's pretty impressive how many consoles both Sony and Microsoft have been able to churn out. 2,000,000 units is nothing to scoff at and I wouldn't call that "released in limited supply" for either console even if they are selling out fast. There's suggestions that Sony hasn't been able to match Microsoft's production speed and have produced less units overall, but even then they've done extremely well themselves.

What I'm trying to point out is how silly it sounds to claim that 2 million units is a small number. These are machines that cost around a grand each and it's not like a million of them can be pumped out in a manner of seconds either.

Alek The Great:
I'm not sure I understand your argument here. You seem to be saying that Microsoft limited their regions so that it looks like they are selling out more, whereas Sony is also staggering their launch, but this somehow proves that they have had more consoles produced?

Er, the exact opposite actually.

I'm saying Microsoft released in more regions with approximately equal initial supply to that of Sony, primarily because they wanted to "sell out everywhere" so they could boast about it and look roughly equal to their rival.

First of all, wouldn't it make more sense to release in *more* regions if you want your console to be sold out faster in each region? Let's say that you have 2 million units that you want to sell and you had an option to sell your product in 10 regions or 20 regions. Then surely if you wanted to have a more limited supply in each region so that it seems like it is selling out you would go with the 20 regions option. I mean, if you spread out your units uniformly then you'd have 200,000 units/region with the 10 region option and 100,000 units/region with the 20 region option.

It absolutely does not make sense to do it that way, no. Because not all regions will experience equal sales figures. You put the majority of your stock in the countries where you expect (or desire) the most sales.

The US is bound to consume the majority of console sales, as it has in the past. Sony has a definitive edge in Japan, by comparison. So if you're Sony, you stock up heavily on units for the US, knowing your Japanese sale base won't erode to the XBox.

It really doesn't matter though. Considering that production on both consoles started this year, I would say that it's pretty impressive how many consoles both Sony and Microsoft have been able to churn out. 2,000,000 units is nothing to scoff at and I wouldn't call that "released in limited supply" for either console even if they are selling out fast. There's suggestions that Sony hasn't been able to match Microsoft's production speed and have produced less units overall, but even then they've done extremely well themselves.

I don't disagree, I'm merely pointing out that the numbers do not reflect as favorably for Microsoft as they do for Sony. Sony has sold more units (2.1 mil known units to MS's 2 mil) in less time (approximately 18 days for Sony vs the approximately 20 days for MS) and in far less countries (Sony's initial rush of sales were purely US and Canandian sales, MS needed 13 countries to match that tally). It's very difficult to argue that they are currently performing at an "equal" level unless you're pretending that all of these statistics don't matter. And in the long run, they may not....but right now? Sony's clearly "winning".

What I'm trying to point out is how silly it sounds to claim that 2 million units is a small number. These are machines that cost around a grand each and it's not like a million of them can be pumped out in a manner of seconds either.

I didn't claim that 2 million units is a small number. My point was that it's absolutely true to state that Microsoft (at the very least, if not Sony as well) is purposely restricting their supply to make themselves look better by comparison to their rival. Because that's what they were doing with these numbers, too: they didn't immediately announce their numbers right after Sony did because their numbers aren't as good, so they're better off waiting to hit milestones before making announcements so that people will concentrate less on comparing the two.

If we could see their exact sales figures right now, I'd place Sony's console around at least 2.5 million by this point, to XBox's now-stated 2, and Sony's still not released the console in as many countries as the Xbox has. This might seem like a close horse-race for the time being, but if XBox doesn't gain some additional traction, Sony could still very well run away with it.

CriticKitten:
Er, the exact opposite actually.

I'm saying Microsoft released in more regions with approximately equal initial supply to that of Sony, primarily because they wanted to "sell out everywhere" so they could boast about it and look roughly equal to their rival.

Wait, you're saying that Microsoft released the Xbox in more regions than Sony did for the PS4? Last I checked the PS4 has been out in 32 countries. Yes, it was initially only released in Canada and the US, but they released in the other 30 countries one week after the Xbox One launch in 13 countries (two weeks after the initial launch). It's been out for almost two weeks everywhere since then.

It absolutely does not make sense to do it that way, no. Because not all regions will experience equal sales figures. You put the majority of your stock in the countries where you expect (or desire) the most sales.

The US is bound to consume the majority of console sales, as it has in the past. Sony has a definitive edge in Japan, by comparison. So if you're Sony, you stock up heavily on units for the US, knowing your Japanese sale base won't erode to the XBox.

I'm well aware it's not how it works, I just kept the numbers simple for the sake of the argument. I think you'll agree, however, that both companies will probably have a similar percentage of units that they'll ship to a given region. Both companies certainly put their focus on the North American market in terms of numbers, but Sony still released in more regions than Microsoft so I still don't understand your claim that they released in more regions as a tactic to sell out quicker.

I don't disagree, I'm merely pointing out that the numbers do not reflect as favorably for Microsoft as they do for Sony. Sony has sold more units (2.1 mil known units to MS's 2 mil) in less time (approximately 18 days for Sony vs the approximately 20 days for MS) and in far less countries (Sony's initial rush of sales were purely US and Canandian sales, MS needed 13 countries to match that tally). It's very difficult to argue that they are currently performing at an "equal" level unless you're pretending that all of these statistics don't matter. And in the long run, they may not....but right now? Sony's clearly "winning".

I never stated that Sony's doing worse, nor was a comparison between how well the two are doing the point of my argument. My entire point was that Microsoft sold *a lot* of consoles in the past 3 weeks (or so) and I disagree that for the numbers they have sold that could be considered as them holding back supply. Sony selling more consoles makes no difference to my argument; however, I would say the same thing about the PS4: I don't think anyone should say that Sony are exactly holding back units with those numbers either. They very well may be, but I don't think it's the case.

I didn't claim that 2 million units is a small number. My point was that it's absolutely true to state that Microsoft (at the very least, if not Sony as well) is purposely restricting their supply to make themselves look better by comparison to their rival. Because that's what they were doing with these numbers, too: they didn't immediately announce their numbers right after Sony did because their numbers aren't as good, so they're better off waiting to hit milestones before making announcements so that people will concentrate less on comparing the two.

If we could see their exact sales figures right now, I'd place Sony's console around at least 2.5 million by this point, to XBox's now-stated 2, and Sony's still not released the console in as many countries as the Xbox has. This might seem like a close horse-race for the time being, but if XBox doesn't gain some additional traction, Sony could still very well run away with it.

I really don't see how you could prove - beyond any doubt - with your current argument that Microsoft and Sony are restricting their supply to create false demand. Furthermore, I never commented on either company's messaging as that's another matter altogether; however, it makes sense to announce milestones instead of exact figures at any point in time as people will be more interested in hearing when sales broke the 2 million (or million) mark rather than that they are currently exactly at 2,134,598 units sold. Now, if those figures could be made public instead of just having to take the word of manufacturers would be much better, but that's also another issue.

You bring up again that Sony has not released their console in as many countries as Microsoft, but they released in 30 countries on the 29th of November (in addition to the two they released in on the 15th, which as you stated are the two that most sales would likely come from anyway) so I'm fairly certain that beats out Microsoft's 13.

Either way, my point was not to compare the two companies' performances. I could care less who gets more sales. I just dislike it when people state speculation on their part, in this case the speculation being that Microsoft and Sony are holding back huge supplies of consoles just so that it seems like they are consistently getting sold out being stated as absolute fact. They may certainly be practicing it to some minimal extent (or otherwise, who knows), but I simply disagreed and provided my reasons for thinking so. Unless you are an insider, however, you cannot claim for certain that you know these companies' strategies so I don't think you could present any of your speculation as fact. You could suggest that it is probable, but so far I'm unconvinced by your argument.

Snipping to get to the important part:

Alek The Great:
but so far I'm unconvinced by your argument.

I'm not trying to convince you. I never was. And I don't honestly care if you end up believing it or not.

I'm simply refuting your post. You're complaining about his "absolute" assertion that companies are withholding stock, and you're doing so by making your own "absolute" assertion that these companies definitely aren't holding back their stock. That's just silly, and in terms of business sense, his argument holds more weight than yours because there are plenty of reasons for them to limit stock initially for a product they intend to sell over the course of several years. So his claim that they are probably holding back stock is no less valid of an assertion than yours, which claims they are not.

And for my own part, I'm with him. There's plenty of reasons to keep stock low early on in the sales of these new consoles. Greater demand for them means they can keep the price up for a longer period of time. It allows them to build more "hype" and excitement around the console. It does wonders for stock prices when you can boast about your sales and how it's selling out everywhere. Not to mention there's no negative stigma surrounding your console if the shelves are always full of stock, and no risk of losing shelf space when stores can't sell all their stock (as is the case with the Wii U). All they really have to do is estimate their initial sales based on dedicated fans, and then provide only marginally more supply than they expect to sell, and they can have the best of both worlds: achieving massive sales while still being able to claim that they sold out everywhere. This is a winning strategy for both companies because it makes their stocks soar and the demand and hype around their consoles grow. It's inconvenient for customers, certainly, but if you think that they honestly care about that, you're being naive.

CriticKitten:
Snipping to get to the important part:

Alek The Great:
but so far I'm unconvinced by your argument.

I'm not trying to convince you. I never was.

I'm simply refuting your own "absolute" assertion that these companies definitely aren't holding back their stock. There are plenty of reasons for them to do so, in fact, not the least of which is to create a greater demand. So his claim that they are probably holding back stock is no less valid of an assertion than yours, which claims they are not.

And for my own part, I'm with him. There's plenty of reasons to keep stock low early on in the sales of these new consoles. Greater demand for them means they can keep the price up for a longer period of time. It allows them to build more "hype" and excitement around the console. It does wonders for stock prices when you can boast about your sales and how it's selling out everywhere. Not to mention there's no negative stigma surrounding your console if the shelves are always full of stock, and no risk of losing shelf space when stores can't sell all their stock (as is the case with the Wii U). There's lots of reasons to do this sort of thing. It's inconvenient for customers, certainly, but if you think that they honestly care about that, you're being naive.

That really wasn't the important part of my argument at all. I never made any absolute assertion, I just partially disagreed with a statement made by someone else based on my observations. I never claimed to have any absolute knowledge of the situation and I didn't even disagree that holding back stock couldn't be at play in any form. I certainly understand that holding back some stock can be beneficial for a variety of reasons, but I wasn't even trying to dispute the merits of such tactics and with every reply I just feel like I'm trailing into topics I wasn't trying to discuss in the first place. Anyway, I don't know that I have much else to say on the topic as I've already outlined in detail why I think hyping up the consoles isn't the *primary* reason for them being in short supply at the moment. Take of that what you will :)

Arawn:
Stores may be sold out, but there are quite a few units up for sale on various websites. Seems many people are buying up systems only to resale them at a higher price. Much like the story where they guy in Europe paid for a picture of a Xbox One. People are exploiting the limited supply to their benefit. Not exactly a kind thing towards those that want to PLAY on the units. Almost feel sorry for them when the supply increases they'll get less than top dollar for them. ALMOST.

the main market for those are countries where the system isnt launched really. I got a friendcolegue who bought one of those and the system isnt launched here. he bought it from another country, cracked it and is playing games illegally, but its not like they even allowed him the legal option to begin with.
there already is black market for the things outside of the "launch countries".

wooty:
Even as a PS4 owner, this is good news. Healthy competition is good in this business, it makes exclusive devs step up their game and its always fun to crack open the bevvies, sit back and have a good laugh at the youtube/kotaku comments sections.

But Xbox isnt healthy competition. If you see two bread makers and one is selling rotten bread, you wouldnt root for people buying rotten bread because then the good maker will see that he doesnt have to make good bread to sell and stop trying.

SILENTrampancy:

That could be said about PS4s operhaps but XboxOnes arent sold out and really isnt using this tactic. What MS is using is "supply more than the competitor in hopes of winning the undecided crowd"

Alek The Great:
I never made any absolute assertion, I just partially disagreed with a statement made by someone else based on my observations. I never claimed to have any absolute knowledge of the situation and I didn't even disagree that holding back stock couldn't be at play in any form.

That's most certainly not the way your posts read. Your initial post was just as "absolute" as the one you were refuting, i.e. not actually "absolute" at all. You were saying it's not true and he was saying it was. Whether you acknowledge the existence of the practice is irrelevant in terms of your particular stance. You were still asserting, in no uncertain terms, that you have no reason to believe this took place and how you were unconvinced by any of the points made by anyone else. That's just as "absolute"-ist as the person you were initially complaining about, whether you would admit it to yourself or not.

Also no, you really haven't outlined any evidence for why you don't think this is happening, except your own observed assertions that people are buying up all the visible stock....which is in no way a "proof" one way or the other.

Strazdas:

wooty:

But Xbox isnt healthy competition. If you see two bread makers and one is selling rotten bread, you wouldnt root for people buying rotten bread because then the good maker will see that he doesnt have to make good bread to sell and stop trying.

Sorry, but what exactly makes the Xbone the "bad bread maker"? The two play and feel exactly the same, minus a few minor aesthetic design choices and internet nerd comments section cock swinging of course. Put game in, run game, play game. Or am I completely missing something here?......

wooty:

Strazdas:

wooty:

Sorry, but what exactly makes the Xbone the "bad bread maker"? The two play and feel exactly the same, minus a few minor aesthetic design choices and internet nerd comments section cock swinging of course. Put game in, run game, play game. Or am I completely missing something here?......

SO we just firgive the breadmaker that tried to poison us and continue buying their bread? okay.
And no, they are not the same. Xbox is weaker, runs on lower resolution (at least in some games), and plenty of other things, such as worse internet subscription offers, ect. It is objectively worse bread. And the only reasons peopel buy it are subjective.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here