Microsoft Increases Prices of Digital Xbox One Exclusives in UK

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Microsoft Increases Prices of Digital Xbox One Exclusives in UK

dead rising 3 UK price increase

Games like Dead Rising 3 that were previously 44.99 are now 49.99 on the Xbox Games Store.

Microsoft has increased the prices of Xbox One exclusives in the UK by 5 on the Xbox Games Store, making the digital versions of the exclusives more expensive than the physical copies.

The company did not explain its decision. Speaking to Eurogamer, a Microsoft spokesperson said, "Pricing for select digital content in some markets has changed since launch." When the Xbox One launched in the region on Nov. 22, digital versions of Dead Rising 3, Ryse: Son of Rome, and Forza Motorsport 5 were 44.99. They are now 49.99.

"Digital content pricing is subject to change and we may occasionally offer various deals or promotions," the spokesperson added. "Ultimately pricing and promotions will vary by region." No reason for the unannounced price increase was given. All Xbox One launch titles are $59.99 in the US.

Consumers have been unhappy with the similar pricing structure of games from physical to digital, but a digital version costing more than a physical version is even stranger. Sony is also selling physical versions of PS4-exclusive games for a cheaper price than digital versions. Digital will have a hard time taking off as a standard if Microsoft and Sony sell physical copies of their games for cheaper prices than the digital versions. Of course, either way the prices for Xbox One and PS4 games are expensive.

Source: Eurogamer

It's just that they use the offer/demand rule of making business without keeping in mind the costs required to make each product.
So perhaps more people bought digital,and because they saw the demand for digital to rise,they thought of raising the price, even if its more affordable for them sell digital copies than physical copies.

Now for general retail prices,well the price in Euro countries is 59.90 euros.
According to Google 49.99 British Pounds is 59.33 euros. So it's at least cheaper than what it is in the Eurozone! :p
Still 59.99 dollars is equal to 43.61 euros or 36.74 pounds though.
Which means that by paying 49.99BP or 59,90E we pay 81.60 or 82.50 dollars for each game respectively.

But it's ok with software. It usually gets annoying when it comes to hardware.
So 500$ in the US for xbox one,and 500E in the EU.
500E is 687.65 dollars. ouch!

When you factor that for the most part PC hardware prices in Europe doesn't get the same treatment,it's no wonder that PC gaming is more popular in Europe.

Welcome to the glorious next gen.

Stavros Dimou:
It's just that they use the offer/demand rule of making business without keeping in mind the costs required to make each product.

Except there is no shortage of supply. Digital products aren't the same as physical products, you make product once and can distribute it ad infinum. I can't think of a single justifiable reason to raise established prices for digital games.

The prices for new-gen games is disgusting: upwards of 50-60 per game?

Pricing stuff at 40 was pushing it per game. If you wanna rip people off with game prices how about developers make something worth the buck.

Go fuck yourself consoles. Here's betting that in 10 years time for the next gen it'll be 70 per game.

"But if you can afford a new console, you can buy these games!" - I think most people would like not having to take out a mortgage to buy games.

Stavros Dimou:
So perhaps more people bought digital,and because they saw the demand for digital to rise,they thought of raising the price, even if its more affordable for them sell digital copies than physical copies.

According to Google 49.99 British Pounds is 59.33 euros. So it's at least cheaper than what it is in the Eurozone! :p
Which means that by paying 49.99BP or 59,90E we pay 81.60 or 82.50 dollars for each game respectively.

This used to so piss me off, but now I am more than willing to pay higher prices for single purchase items compared to what American's pay. Just as long as I get to keep the much cheaper UK monthly cost for TV/Internet/Phone services.

The more Microsoft do, the more I am convinced that they are gearing up to abandon games consoles as a manufacturer, they simply don't have the guts to come out and say it, so they're trying desperately to manufacture a catastrophic failure scenario that will allow them to claim the industry moribund and walk away.

The reveal, the limited international launch, the price of it, the F2P nonsense in their flagship titles and now jacking up prices on what is already the most expensive of the new consoles, it's as if someone really doesn't want you to buy the Xbone.

Kumagawa Misogi:

Stavros Dimou:

This used to so piss me off, but now I am more than willing to pay higher prices for single purchase items compared to what American's pay. Just as long as I get to keep the much cheaper UK monthly cost for TV/Internet/Phone services.

I'm sorry I'm not familiar with prices for such services in UK.
Where I live for a phone line with 24mbps ASDL internet connection with unlimited downloads I pay 40 euros per month.
TV doesn't require monthly fees.

Dear Microsoft, I will say this as plainly as I can...Fuck you and the horse you rode in on. That is all.

Hawkeye21:
Welcome to the glorious next gen.

Stavros Dimou:

Except there is no shortage of supply. Digital products aren't the same as physical products, you make product once and can distribute it ad infinum. I can't think of a single justifiable reason to raise established prices for digital games.

Well as you put it...

Birds fly, fish swim, and Microsoft screw over their customers, nothing new here.

I'm so happy I got into PC gaming. Bought Far Cry 3 in the sale for 5. Fuck Xbox One.

So this is that fabled "future" that we are supposed to "come with them" to as mr nelson put it?
They fucking boast how they see that the future is all digital and how their console fully supports this and this is how they want to pave the way?
Fuck that noise.

Remember when people thought games would go cheaper because of digital distribution? Good times. Good times.

It cheapens digital distribution to label what microsoft is offering as such. One company with a monopoly on the distribution and the morals of a stage four syphilitic robber baron is not a fair representation of what digital delivery can be.

For a console that was originally going to attack the used games market Microsoft seem to be working hard to encourage used games, if the retail boxes are cheaper to buy than digitally distributed games people will buy them more often. People can then choose to trade those in later on, obviously digital purchases cannot be traded in.

As Microsoft are making the retail boxes more attractive they must really like used games after all...

FIFTY BLOODY POUNDS?

It seems bloody ridiculous; I remember when I could buy a game on day 1 for 35(SW:BFII).

I already thought that 45 was steep as fuck, but no, apparently so long as it isn't 60, companies will want to keep on increasing it.

I am both glad that I didn't buy the next gen, and sorry for those who already bought a console >.<

AndrewC:

Pricing stuff at 40 was pushing it per game. If you wanna rip people off with game prices how about developers make something worth the buck.

Go fuck yourself consoles. Here's betting that in 10 years time for the next gen it'll be 70 per game.

"But if you can afford a new console, you can buy these games!" - I think most people would like not having to take out a mortgage to buy games.

PC gaming isn't any better off. Right now if I wanted to buy Civilization V on Steam, it would cost me $70USD. This is a game that's been out for over 3 years now, with 2 expansions each priced at an additional $50USD and a whole bunch of DLC.

smithy_2045:

AndrewC:

PC gaming isn't any better off. Right now if I wanted to buy Civilization V on Steam, it would cost me $70USD. This is a game that's been out for over 3 years now, with 2 expansions each priced at an additional $50USD and a whole bunch of DLC.

You picked the odd one out. That's far from an average example.
An average example is buying Metro 2033 2 years ago for 5 euros on Steam Sale.

What people are failing to understand is that Microsoft have to pay people to type out the game code for each digital copy they sell! That's how digital distribution works, right? It's not like they can just endlessly copy the data that is stored on a computer somewhere ready to be downloaded at any time. Because that would be logical.

Anyway, paying more for things is just another part of the "Xbone Experience". Sony have no excuses though.

roseofbattle:
"Digital content pricing is subject to change and we may occasionally offer various deals or promotions," the spokesperson added. "Ultimately pricing and promotions will vary by region."

I think Microsoft needs to read up on what a promotion and/or deal is. Now for some horrible metaphorical word-play!

Buying the Xbox One is accepting Christian Grey's invitation into the play room.
Accepting the terms of service is allowing yourself to be strapped into what looks to be a rack
Microsoft has just begun to turn the wheel, stretching those soft, tender dollars. Microsoft knows you're a little piggy and you both know it has only just begun

Because "fuck you got mine"? I honestly don't know what else to say. How about:

Because computing the exchange rate is haaaaaard.
Because an evil cabal of wizards is skimming five Euros off the top and Microsoft is trying to price correct.
Because 50 is a nice round number. Isn't it? I mean, look at it... 50! Minus 1 cent!
Because they realized they were going to be a bit short in the "Really Big Bananas" fund.

smithy_2045:

You're comparing apples to oranges, as Civ V isn't available on console.

A good example would be Skyrim. Looking at the prices, they're actually comparable between X-Box Marketplace and Steam. Admittedly, I expected the base game to still be full price on X-Box, but it's $29.99 now (same as Steam).

The difference is, Steam has huge sales at least twice a year. I purchased Skyrim with all the DLC during the Summer sale for < $20 USD, and that includes community supported modding. The last I've touched my still-full-price copy of Skyrim for the 360 was to pull off my save games for conversion to PC format.

Y'know, I was starting to think that the choice for next gen consoles was going to be difficult. Neither console blew me away, but neither one turned me off either. Xbox one seems to win the exclusives, but I just couldn't trust MS again after they tried the most absurd bullshit ever and for a good month or so running around trying to convince us they were doing us a favour.

I did wonder though, was I being paranoid? Maybe MS had learnt its lesson?

Well, thank you MS. Thank you for clarifying that you haven't learned, you just looked for other ways to screw your fans.

I ain't quite gonna run on back to sony just yet, but it's starting to look unlikely that I'll even consider the xbox one as an option.

anyone know off the top of their head how this compares to Wii U and PS?

"Digital is the future!" they said. "It'll just be like Steam!" they said.

A part of me wishes Microsoft had stuck to their original plan... just to see how much worse this could get.

Stavros Dimou:

I'm sorry I'm not familiar with prices for such services in UK.
Where I live for a phone line with 24mbps ASDL internet connection with unlimited downloads I pay 40 euros per month.
TV doesn't require monthly fees.

Up to 20Mbps ADSL is 2 a month in UK. Up to 80Mbps fibre optic is 18-25 a month. 120Mbps cable is 28-38 a month.
Basic TV + Freeview channels cost a TV license (145 a year) and then any extra channel services (such as Sky) require a separate subscription (usually requiring a satellite too). HD Sports channels cost from 6 a month, for instance.
Unlimited phone contracts start from 13 a month, although a pay-as-you-go plan with unlimited data can be found for 20 per 6 months (you only pay for calls and txts).

Such services are relatively cheap in the UK due to fierce competition. The price on games on the other hand (when compared to the US) divides many people I know between leaching discounts from my friends who work in game stores and outright piracy. The moment a hack for next gen consoles goes public, they'll pester me with calls (as happened in the last gen). Personally, I just wait for second hand deals.

At MS headquarters:

"Hey, we're already charging more for digital releases than retailers do for physical copies, and digital distribution eliminates the middle man, making it even more profitable for us. You know what, let's squeeze a little more out of the customers, just to show them what the future looks like."

Well, screw MS and their market place. Only thing I ever bought on there is Bring Down the Sky for Mass Effect, and that only because it was cheaper than buying the classics version that comes with said DLC. 0,95€, cheaper than the average avatar item. As for the games, let them sit on their overpriced downloads.

The problem is that people seem to take pride in buying games digitally nowadays. Some dude I chat regulary with used to be a hell of a pirate (caps of his tracker usually showed at least a dozen of torrents run at the same time) and today, when I mentioned that I got a free copy of Enclave, his response was seriously "good job at supporting the developers" and "hope you sleep well at night". He didn't even care it was a promo code. He also makes fun how everyones discs are going to scratch or expire some day while his licenses last forever.

Mr Ink 5000:

Well for some games PS3 is even worse (not sure about 4). For example Assassin's Creed 4 is 60 and GTA V is about the same. Wii U is overpriced too, and you lose the game if your console breaks. The only system that seems to get it decent is the PS Vita, but even then it's not worth it getting a game digitally.

Well, if people are ready to pay that amount of money, it can't be a problem. If they aren't, Microsoft will suffer the consequences.

ToastiestZombie:

Mr Ink 5000:

Well for some games PS3 is even worse (not sure about 4). For example Assassin's Creed 4 is 60 and GTA V is about the same. Wii U is overpriced too, and you lose the game if your console breaks. The only system that seems to get it decent is the PS Vita, but even then it's not worth it getting a game digitally.

damn it. whats up with these people, why can't they make digital distribution work. really disappointed by that, i'm looking to get a Wii U soon

ToastiestZombie:

Mr Ink 5000:

PS4 is much the same, digital is generally more than physical.

Now if only there was some kind of highly successful digital only distribution platforms already that Sony and MS could copy...

fix-the-spade:
The more Microsoft do, the more I am convinced that they are gearing up to abandon games consoles as a manufacturer, they simply don't have the guts to come out and say it, so they're trying desperately to manufacture a catastrophic failure scenario that will allow them to claim the industry moribund and walk away.

The reveal, the limited international launch, the price of it, the F2P nonsense in their flagship titles and now jacking up prices on what is already the most expensive of the new consoles, it's as if someone really doesn't want you to buy the Xbone.

As I said back during the initial reveal, this is MS throwing in the towel and saying they want to make Roku boxes instead. Part of me wants to believe that this is all intentional because it would explain the seemingly suicidal attitude they have shown thus far.

Or maybe like with Sony and the PS3 they let their hubris and greed fool them into thinking gamers would put up with this shit. Like Jim has said consumers will put up with shit but only to a point, cross that line and you will get burned...hard.

Not sure which is worse...MS intentionally trying to sabotage themselves or that they really are this clueless.

yet another reason to continue my console ban lol really thou 40 was really pushing it. now we got to 50 ?! really ? fuck you and your shitty consoles and games. PC gamer 4 life. Steam sales. Done. fucking 50

It doesn't make much sense, unless Microsoft and Sony have some sort of interest in keeping the retail industry healthy.

Common sense would say that they should sell the digital copies much cheaper and since all the retail overhead is gone, they would make more profit and at the same time completely undercut the retail market.

But guys! The Xbone was going to be just like Steam! Honest!

roseofbattle:

"Pricing for select digital content in some markets has changed since launch."

Nice use of the passive voice here.

"The prices have changed."
"Who changed them and why?"
"Well, someone did. Surely the reasons for it are understandable."
"...?"

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or