Depression Quest Dev Faces Harassment after Steam Submission - Update

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Depression Quest Dev Faces Harassment after Steam Submission - Update

Depression Quest screenshot

After resubmitting Depression Quest to Steam's Greenlight, developer Zoe Quinn has reported several instances of harassment.

Update: This post has been edited to correctly assert that the claims were made by the accuser and have not been confirmed by another party.

The browser game Depression Quest will be released on Steam as long as its Greenlight campaign is a success. In response to developer Zoe Quinn's Greenlight submission, she claims some users of imageboard Wizardchan harassed her for her gender.

After the first Greenlight submission of Depression Quest, a piece of interactive "(non)fiction" seeking to enlighten players on depression, Quinn said she experienced similar sexist remarks. This time while anonymous posters of boards like Wizardchan allegedly harassed Quinn online, she also said she received sexually harassing phone calls. Quinn removed Depression Quest from Greenlight the first time she experienced abuse, but she will not be doing so this time.

Quinn included two screencaptures of comments on Wizardchan. Anonymous posters used slurs and wrote women cannot relate to anyone with depression, "have no right to be depressed," and other degrading comments. Quinn claims that after posters from Wizardchan called her, she had to change phone numbers.

Harassment is a very real thing many women in the games industry experience. Sexism can prevent games from happening and discourage women from getting involved. A game about empathy for those who have depression should not be met with any level of vitriol or abuse. Turning a blind eye to internet harassment also discourages artists from sharing their work.

To learn more about Depression Quest, visit the game's website or Steam. The game is available for free and will also be free on Steam should it be Greenlit.

Source: IndieStatik, Twitter, Storify

So what's all this I've been hearing about PC gamers being more mature than console gamers?

Edit: You've all taken this post far too seriously: stop it. Stop it now.

SkarKrow:
So what's all this I've been about PC gamers being more mature than console gamers?

First post and immediately console wars. Classy.

OT: Isn't this supposedly a 4chan raid? If so, I doubt it has to do with her gender as much as it has to do with 4chan looking for excuses to harass people.

Captcha: which one does not belong

Answer: "Emo Kid"

I'm not quite sure that's politically correct, Captcha....

The amount of victim blaming surrounding this story is hilariously depressing.

People can be misogynistic assholes. We shouldn't be excusing it or defending it. "She shouldn't be feeding the trolls?" "She shouldn't be giving them the attention?" Yeah, when that makes what's happening to her any less despicable, call me.

Phrozenflame500:

SkarKrow:
So what's all this I've been about PC gamers being more mature than console gamers?

OT: Isn't this supposedly a 4chan raid? If so, I doubt it has to do with her gender as much as it has to do with 4chan looking for excuses to harass people.

Captcha: which one does not belong

Answer: "Emo Kid"

I'm not quite sure that's politically correct, Captcha....

I'm a classy kind of guy, play games across conoles and PC at that. I just find the irony satisfying, even if the situation itself is revolting, and should be resolved swiftly.

Well, that's interesting. I mean, I thought the unfair bias towards women in video games was just a rumour created by the evil 'Femi-Nazi's.' Are you saying... women actually DO tend to experience far more harrasment than men do in online communities and other video game related circles? Well, go figure!

But seriously though, if not a single person finds a way to turn this against Quinn in this thread, I will be very surprised.

Y'know, I was always told growing up to ignore the trolls. This advice goes all the way back to "sticks and stones will..." The idea being that these people just want a reaction, and giving them a reaction is "feeding the trolls" and encourages the behavior.

These days, I'm seeing a whole lot of "troll feeding" all the way up at the article level. Is this productive? Is it counter-productive?

So this is... people harrassing a girl for being a girl? Really? I've always found so funny how some people will just go out of their way to do something as stupid as this, when IRL they wouldn't say a single thing or they would just get punched in the face.

SkarKrow:

Phrozenflame500:

SkarKrow:

I'm a classy kind of guy, play games across conoles and PC at that. I just find the irony satisfying, even if the situation itself is revolting, and should be resolved swiftly.

Sorry but I've never even heard of something as nonesensical as "PC gamers are more mature". And I think it counts even less when it relates to people from a specific "page".

Pyrian:
Y'know, I was always told growing up to ignore the trolls. This advice goes all the way back to "sticks and stones will..." The idea being that these people just want a reaction, and giving them a reaction is "feeding the trolls" and encourages the behavior.

These days, I'm seeing a whole lot of "troll feeding" all the way up at the article level. Is this productive? Is it counter-productive?

Sure, you should never try to feed the trolls, but if a guy is in your face, screaming at you, day-in and day-out, is ignoring him really an option? The same goes for the argument that you should just ignore the 'vocal minority' because they're just that, a minority. If you have 5 people who disagree with you, 4 of which decide to be rational about it, and one person who decides to shove a gun in your face, I think the minority has become impossible to ignore.

Grabehn:
So this is... people harrassing a girl for being a girl? Really? I've always found so funny how some people will just go out of their way to do something as stupid as this, when IRL they wouldn't say a single thing or they would just get punched in the face.

SkarKrow:

Phrozenflame500:

Sorry but I've never even heard of something as nonesensical as "PC gamers are more mature". And I think it counts even less when it relates to people from a specific "page".

If you've never seen that preposterous argument you've clearly not been around the internet all too long, it's one of the ones thrown around quite frequently.

Grabehn:

SkarKrow:

Phrozenflame500:

If not that quote specifically, then how about the predominant thinking that PC gaming is far more advanced than console gaming? 'PC Master-Race' ring a bell?

Pyrian:

Well considering these "trolls" have managed to find her irl phone number should probably tell you that this is something that NEEDS reporting on.

Unless of course women who make games are asking to get Trolled apparently.

The real question here is what is anyone going to do about it?

Catpcha: Shoot though

No captcha that's not helpful.

King Whurdler:

Grabehn:

SkarKrow:

If not that quote specifically, then how about the predominant thinking that PC gaming is far more advanced than console gaming? 'PC Master-Race' ring a bell?

Does Irony? since it was never meant to be serious, nor is it an actual reflection of what anyone but the weirdest of people think.

Here is my question:

I can't help but feel it's really common for a couple of brain donor asshats to go and say stuff like this when they have an opportunity. Is this any worse than what other developers get? I guess my real question is: Is this an attempt to garner more attention for the game utilizing something that is a hot button topic? I mean, I don't agree with Anita Sarkeesian in a lot of her assessments, but she got literally thousands of such comments from people who are literally that stupid.

That is not to say that people who do stuff like that are not completely despicable. People who say this stuff should get the shit kicked out of them. They do it because they want to say the most hurtful thing they can, and it's just sad that it always comes down to stuff like this.

You know what the ironic part about this is? If these people decided to keep their mouths shut, there's a good chance that this game would pass by largely unnoticed. Instead, they're giving Depression Quest and Quinn, way more attention and publicity than she ever would have gotten alone, which will probably end up making this game way more successful as a result. It's looking like the Anita Sarkeesian thing all over again.

Now, I'm not saying it's a good thing that she's being harassed, far from it. But if these people really don't want this game to succeed, they're not going about it the right way.

SkarKrow:

This really isn't about gamers, this is just a site where people troll and abuse each other for the kicks no different then 4chan and it's ilk, if you go there that is what you sign up for.
And no it is not right, it is not civil and most certainly not justifiable but as long as these putrid holes exist people might want to pay attention what they step into.

Also that "keep your personal information safe" part we keep telling people about and they happily ignore it, might want to think again... it's all real funny until shit happens and then it very much isn't.

SkarKrow:

PC Gamer =/= Douchenozzle with a computer and access to 4chan.

As for the mature gamer argument. I have an experiment- play GTA Online or any COD on console and listen to the things said on mic. Now go play a PC game and listen in on voice comms. Exactly. Anytime I'm playing multiplayer on a console, I have to be sure to mute voice chat unless I'm exclusively playing with friends because it's just goddamned atrocious in there. Contrast that with, say, a teamspeak server with >100 EVE Online players engaging in a fleet battle and you'll be pretty amazed at the difference.

Mr.K.:
This really isn't about gamers, this is just a site where people troll and abuse each other for the kicks no different then 4chan and it's ilk, if you go there that is what you sign up for.
And no it is not right, it is not civil and most certainly not justifiable but as long as these putrid holes exist people might want to pay attention what they step into.

Also that "keep your personal information safe" part we keep telling people about and they happily ignore it, might want to think again... it's all real funny until shit happens and then it very much isn't.

Darn, you beat me to it.

Baresark:
Here is my question:

I can't help but feel it's really common for a couple of brain donor asshats to go and say stuff like this when they have an opportunity. Is this any worse than what other developers get?

At least those devs, while the harassment isn't any less bad are getting harassed because of whatever content they put in that game that annoys these clowns.

Her? She is targeted literally because she's a woman posting on greenlight. That is the basic ground foundation for her entire harassment.

This is the SECOND time she has attempted to post this game. The first time she caved.

I guess my real question is: Is this an attempt to garner more attention for the game utilizing something that is a hot button topic? I mean, I don't agree with Anita Sarkeesian in a lot of her assessments, but she got literally thousands of such comments from people who are literally that stupid.

Amazing.
Not even half way through the first page and Anita is already shoehorned into this article despite it having fuck all to do with her.

That is not to say that people who do stuff like that are not completely despicable. People who say this stuff should get the shit kicked out of them. They do it because they want to say the most hurtful thing they can, and it's just sad that it always comes down to stuff like this.

It's actually gone criminal.

As of recently they have found her phone number and are sending threats to her irl.

Mr.K.:

SkarKrow:

Keeping your personal information safe is important, particularly on the internet, there's a reason most usersr here have their account loaded with fake information. I for one refuse to post any real data here, though I've made good friends here and shared some things like my skype tag that way. Giving your home phone number out on the net is idiotic.

tangoprime:

SkarKrow:

PC Gamer =/= Douchenozzle with a computer and access to 4chan.

As for the mature gamer argument. I have an experiment- play GTA Online or any COD on console and listen to the things said on mic. Now go play a PC game and listen in on voice comms. Exactly. Anytime I'm playing multiplayer on a console, I have to be sure to mute voice chat unless I'm exclusively playing with friends because it's just goddamned atrocious in there. Contrast that with, say, a teamspeak server with >100 EVE Online players engaging in a fleet battle and you'll be pretty amazed at the difference.

You missed the part where I was taking the piss.

I playa ll my multiplayer on PC for that exact reason, the experience is generally better than on consoles, that doesn't stop floods of twats in text chat in games.

But then that's why my PC voip is handled by external programs.

King Whurdler:
Sure, you should never try to feed the trolls, but if a guy is in your face, screaming at you, day-in and day-out, is ignoring him really an option? The same goes for the argument that you should just ignore the 'vocal minority' because they're just that, a minority. If you have 5 people who disagree with you, 4 of which decide to be rational about it, and one person who decides to shove a gun in your face, I think the minority has become impossible to ignore.

If people are screaming in your face day-in and day-out while pointing a gun at you, you need to get the police involved. I'm not sure this is relevant to the discussion at hand.

Dragonbums:
Well considering these "trolls" have managed to find her irl phone number should probably tell you that this is something that NEEDS reporting on.

How so? I mean, it's totally unacceptable to harass people, and really, once it gets to needing to change phone numbers, the callers should probably be visited by the police. But does any of that make it a good thing to feed the trolls, instead of marginalizing them? Assuming protecting yourself and innocents is the first priority either way.

Hoplon:

King Whurdler:

Grabehn:

Does Irony? since it was never meant to be serious, nor is it an actual reflection of what anyone but the weirdest of people think.

Yes, but that doesn't change the facts. Bring up the argument of consoles VS. PC, and you'll get huge influx of people that treat consoles as plebian while touting their PC as an inherently better platform. In my experience, 'PC Master-Race' isn't the thought process reserved solely for fringe elements, but that's just me.

Dragonbums:

Amazing.
Not even half way through the first page and Anita is already shoehorned into this article despite it having fuck all to do with her.

She is a prime example of someone who was ridiculously harassed for being a woman who was commenting on the games industry AND that has been the most widely talked examples of this kind of harassment. I don't see why it's not fitting that she would come up, given the circumstances (threats, sexual harassment, misogyny, etc). The whole point of both of these are the levels of harassment the person in question had to deal with. I don't see a problem with this coming up, why do you?

Pyrian:

King Whurdler:

If people are screaming in your face day-in and day-out while pointing a gun at you, you need to get the police involved. I'm not sure this is relevant to the discussion at hand.

Dragonbums:

How so? I mean, it's totally unacceptable to harass people, and really, once it gets to needing to change phone numbers, the callers should probably be visited by the police. But does any of that make it a good thing to feed the trolls, instead of marginalizing them? Assuming protecting yourself and innocents is the first priority either way.

It's an example of someone that's antagonizing you being impossible to avoid. How the fuck is that NOT relevant?

King Whurdler:

Grabehn:
snip

Except that PC is factually more "advanced" than console gaming in pretty much every aspect, even more so now that "installing" a game is almost required for every console game. I see the "PC master race" as nothing more than a phrase that still portrays its original sarcastic meaning, and honestly if someone uses that in any other way, they're either really slow or just dumb.

Just pointing out that the trolls are problably from /v/ or /b/, not "4chan".
I really hate when people put all the boards on the same bucket.

Grabehn:

King Whurdler:
[quote="Grabehn" post="7.836692.20505329"]snip/quote]

Except that PC is factually more "advanced" than console gaming in pretty much every aspect, even more so now that "installing" a game is almost required for every console game. I see the "PC master race" as nothing more than a phrase that still portrays its original sarcastic meaning, and honestly if someone uses that in any other way, they're either really slow or just dumb.

Heh, I suppose I'm just unlucky then to have to deal with really slow and dumb people.

Phrozenflame500:

Well, as the article notes, the screen captures are from Wizardchan, which, at least as far as I know, is a site dedicated mostly to single, reclusive, depressed males. 4Chan might also have something to do with it, but I'm not entirely sure. Needless to say, they aren't necessarily looking in the best of the places to find the harassment. Of course, this isn't meant to downplay the harassment, but we should probably recognize that this particular case doesn't seem to be something plaguing the entire gaming community, just small fringe groups that already have a bad reputation as is.

Pyrian:

There are many ways you can scrape up someone's personal info. And considering how motivated these people are, it doesn't surprise me.

The thing is is that your passively defending these people without realizing it.

"Don't feed the trolls" especially trolls on this caliber is more or less excusing the trolls behaviors because takes responsibility off of the trolls for their actions and puts the blame on the victims for doing whatever it was that pissed them off in the first place.

I agree with you on one point though. Cops need to be involved.

ohnoitsabear:
You know what the ironic part about this is? If these people decided to keep their mouths shut, there's a good chance that this game would pass by largely unnoticed. Instead, they're giving Depression Quest and Quinn, way more attention and publicity than she ever would have gotten alone, which will probably end up making this game way more successful as a result. It's looking like the Anita Sarkeesian thing all over again.

Now, I'm not saying it's a good thing that she's being harassed, far from it. But if these people really don't want this game to succeed, they're not going about it the right way.

And there in lies the real conundrum. Is this just an isolated incident of a single developer being harassed for kicks by a few random malcontents. Or is this part of a concerted effort by a group to call attention to this particular title, or possibly a certain hot button cause? Call me whatever names you like but I feel there is far more chance this is 4chan playing at social justice and trying to drum up buzz in the media for the "anti-female" atmosphere in gaming.

Baresark:

Dragonbums:

Amazing.

She is a prime example of someone who was ridiculously harassed for being a woman who was commenting on the games industry AND that has been the most widely talked examples of this kind of harassment. I don't see why it's not fitting that she would come up, given the circumstances (threats, sexual harassment, misogyny, etc). The whole point of both of these are the levels of harassment the person in question had to deal with. I don't see a problem with this coming up, why do you?

Because every time Anita comes up in threads having nothing to do with her, it always ends up derailing into an Anita thread in disguise and serves not only to take away attention from the other women in question, but diminishes the whole thread as a whole.

King Whurdler:
It's an example of someone that's antagonizing you being impossible to avoid. How the **** is that NOT relevant?

How is it relevant? I will concede that sometimes people behave so badly that they cannot be marginalized. So? It's clearly not the situation at hand. Scale matters. It would be like we're discussing how to react to spilling a glass of water, and you responded by saying my suggested solution doesn't work if your house is smashed by a tsunami. Sure. But your house wasn't smashed by a tsunami, your sleeve is mildly damp.

EDIT:

Dragonbums:
There are many ways you can scrape up someone's personal info.

Sometimes it's very, very easy. Other times, it's not so easy. I'm not sure which case this is, but it does seem like the simple remedy of changing her number has resolved that particular aspect for now.

Dragonbums:
The thing is is that your passively defending these people without realizing it.

That's the root of the disagreement, though. You think I'm passively defending these people with my strategy of marginalization. I think (collectively) you're actively helping these people with your strategy of glorifying and rewarding their behavior with attention and fame.

Dragonbums:
"Don't feed the trolls" especially trolls on this caliber is more or less excusing the trolls behaviors because takes responsibility off of the trolls for their actions and puts the blame on the victims for doing whatever it was that pissed them off in the first place.

I disagree with every part of that. None of it is defensible. These aren't "high caliber" trolls, they're garden variety pests. I'm not excusing their behavior, I'm condemning it in the worst way possible. I'm not blaming the victims for offending trolls, I'm protecting them from the consequences and freeing them from having to engage with people who aren't worthy of engagement.

King Whurdler:
Well, that's interesting. I mean, I thought the unfair bias towards women in video games was just a rumour created by the evil 'Femi-Nazi's.' Are you saying... women actually DO tend to experience far more harrasment than men do in online communities and other video game related circles? Well, go figure!

But seriously though, if not a single person finds a way to turn this against Quinn in this thread, I will be very surprised.

Well... if she didn't want to be harassed then she shouldn't have been born with a vagina!

Well that was easy. Fox News, I'm available, call me.

(I'm being sarcastic)

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or