Game of Thrones Actress Will Be Sarah Connor in Terminator Reboot

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Game of Thrones Actress Will Be Sarah Connor in Terminator Reboot

Game of thrones daen

Emilia Clarke will star as the mother of humanity's savior in Terminator: Genesis.

If the prospect of a Terminator reboot, one named Terminator: Genesis no less, leaves you feeling a bit a dubious, don't worry because we're right there with you. It's not that we don't think Hollywood is incapable of producing a good Terminator, it's just that recent years have pretty well demonstrated that the franchise's best days are well and far behind us.

Regardless, we're getting a new Terminator franchise in 2015 and it just found its Sarah Connor. Who you ask, will you be playing the mother of mankind's savior? None of other than the mother of dragons herself: Emilia Clarke. The Game of Thrones actress, apparently an early favorite for the role, officially snagged it on Friday. She, of course, will be the second Game of Thrones actress to portray Connor's character. Lena Headey, a.k.a. Cersei Lannister also held the roll in the ill-fated Sarah Connor Chronicles TV series, which was cancelled in 2009.

Just personally, I'm mixed on Clarke's casting. While I do think she's a capable actress, she's just not someone I look at think "Sarah Connor." Granted, there is definite bias on my part, owing to the fact that I love the original film and consider Terminator 2 to be probably the best action movie ever made. While you can, of course, thank the robotic gravitas of Arnold Schwarzenegger for that, a lot of it also came from how much Linda Hamilton owned the role of Sarah Connor. Of course, they might go in a completely different direction with the character, but I somehow just can't see Emilia Clarke delivering in a comparable way. That being said, we probably have more to worry about with Schwarzenegger who will be returning as the titular Terminator despite being more than 30 years older than he was in 1984.

Source: Variety

Wait... they're rebooting Terminator?

Why?!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not an outraged fan or a rabid hater on this. I have little feeling either way for the Terminator series.

It's just well... it's one thing to keep pumping out souless sequels. It's another to throw up your hands and say, "Fuck it, we're out of ideas, let's just make them all over again."

Eh, are they still going to have Arnie? Apparently that was in the running for some reason.

thaluikhain:
Eh, are they still going to have Arnie? Apparently that was in the running for some reason.

He'll be in it. All 68 years of him.

Heheheh, it's kind ironic seeing how another actress from GoT also played Sarah Connor in Terminator: The Sarah Conor Chronicles

Ohhhhh, why a reboot, why him? They should at least gotten someone who hasn't gone to flab.

Hey, the Sarah Connor Chronicles were AWESOME. Almost every episode made some sense on the grander scale of things and weren't just "Terminator of the Week", and both Lena Headey as Connor and Summer Glau as the obligatory "good terminator" performed admirably.

However, I do feel that the new actor might be a bit..Eh..Too young to play a convincing Sarah? Maybe they can make her look older.

don't know how I feel about this, I like her in GoT

s'pose it depends how well the reboots done. Its going to be a new take on things, I wonder if Sarah Conner whill make the transition between films from victum to bad ass, and I wonder how Emilia Clarke will play it. Hamilton was ripped for T2

No fate but what we make for ourselves. Well of all possible fates why did it have to be this one?

What are you talking about? Hollywood is so capable of producing a good Terminator. See Terminator and T2: Judgement Day for reference. Why they think they can do it again is beyond me, because they won't be able to.

Realitycrash:

However, I do feel that the new actor might be a bit..Eh..Too young to play a convincing Sarah? Maybe they can make her look older.

Fo sho, they make her look younger in GoT anyway.

Well anyway, I'm glad I'm not a Terminator fan.

What a waste of time and effort. It's not even like the original Terminator was in black&white with cardboard for special effects.
You can make the ADHD generation sit through the original just fine already.

she could probably pull off sarah connor the waitress pretty well but whether she has the ability to pull off sarah connor the freedom fighter.. i really dont know

I couldn't give a shit who they cast personally. It's going to be a pointless remake and we all know it. It won't have anything new to say and will flop at the box office so it won't be a "franchise" Terminator works as 2 films and anything else is twisting the core concept and throwing it out the window. I thought it worked to some extent with TSCC but only divorced of the older films. (If you can even call them old)

Also it's funny how everyone seems thinks that the Terminator films are great because of Arnie. Nothing at all to do with solid writing, directing and awesome stunts and special effects.

What is the point of such a remake? We have already accepted and familiarized ourselves with the original actors as THE characters of Terminator. It's like trying to re-make Titanic, Lord Of The Rings or Harry Potter with different actors - you'll just be sitting there the whole time thinking "wait, something isn't right".

Not to mention the franchise has already been milked to death thanks to the 3rd and 4th sequels, neither of which had any right to exist because Judgement Day was THE END as far as I'm concerned.

I, for one, am quite EXCITED to see a remake of Terminator.

For exactly the same reason as everyone seems to hate reboots, I love them. I love them because, so often as not, they're rehashes of the original material made from a different cultural and social perspective. Anyone deluded enough to believe that EVERY MAJOR MOVIE EVER MADE wasn't a shameless, self-serving cash-grab... and therefore demonizes sequels and reboots... deserves to live in the miserable imaginary world they've made for themselves.

I've accepted the film industry for the monster it is, and have learned to simply enjoy what I enjoy regardless of the incessant obnoxiousness hurled around on the internet as if it somehow matters.

"Boo-hoo-hoo, I'm an angry fan and I like to rage about everything I see if it doesn't exactly fit in with my vision of what should be. Anyone who disagrees with me is wrong. I know better than everyone!" -cried the internet. "Won't anybody think of the fans?"

Not I.

No, not I.

Better luck stopping the reboot of Back to the Future, kiddos.

Why are they even remaking Terminator? There was nothing wrong with the first one that requires a reboot. I do love Emilia Clarke though, she's so cute! (Too cut for Sarah Connor unfortunately)

Oh look... another reboot. Of something that was popular a long while ago.

I don't even care anymore. I can't even get up the energy to be dissapointed. It's like if you had a sibling who couldn't stop having babies. After baby number twelve... you couldn't be happy for or dissapointed with that person anymore. You'd just be "oh, really, another one, whatever". That's where I'm at with this crap.

You can say that this older stuff were just ripoff's of even older stuff... but at least they were putting a new story and setting and the like. Avatar might've been a ripoff of Dances with Wolves (which was a ripoff of something or other) but at least it was somewhere we'd never been before with visuals that were newly designed.

But this has just worn me down in the same way constant comic book reboots wear me down.

T3hSource:
Heheheh, it's kind ironic seeing how another actress from GoT also played Sarah Connor in Terminator: The Sarah Conor Chronicles

Frankly I don't see the irony. Coincidental, not really ironic.

I'm not to sure on Emilia Clarke as Sarah Connor. She's too... well, pretty and doesn't really look like the type to one-arm pump a shotgun then shoot her twin. She can be intimidating, but in a different way. More like grand-wizard malevolence "you are nothing but an inconvenience" rather than "I can and will kill you by myself if you get in my way" intimidating.

I wonder why they just didn't get Lena Headey again. I thought she performed the role well.

Still a bit annoyed at the cliffhanger cancellation of the TV series. They should have at least allowed them to wrap the story up.

NO NO NO NO NO NO.

Stop it, Hollywood. Stop with these stupid reboots! You're about as creatively bankrupt as the AAA shooter market.

A remake of Terminator.

Sheesh. That'd be like remaking Total Reca-- oh wait.

15 years, guys. I'll give it 15 years before they remake The Lord of the Rings.

Okay, let's be fair. How many of us expected Linda Hamilton's complete "amazonification" in T2? I mean, with the benefit of hindsight you could say you saw the signs, but back then a lot of us were floored by the transformation from the first film.

Don't get me wrong, it's pretty clear that this re-reboot is going to fall on its face quite spectactularly- but I think the fault will be far more on the producers than on Emilia Clarke.

Quazimofo:
I'm not to sure on Emilia Clarke as Sarah Connor. She's too... well, pretty and doesn't really look like the type to one-arm pump a shotgun then shoot her twin. She can be intimidating, but in a different way. More like grand-wizard malevolence "you are nothing but an inconvenience" rather than "I can and will kill you by myself if you get in my way" intimidating.

So? It's a reboot. Why do people think that characters in reboots have to act the same as characters in the original? They don't. Some of them don't even have to exist.

So that pale fragile little thing from GoT who looks the wrong side of underweight AND like she hasn't even seen a weight in her life, let alone lifted one, is going to be the badass muscular masculine Sarah Connor?!

Sure, what else could go wrong? Hell, while we're at it, lets get Justin Bieber to be the new Mrk. IV Terminator!

I know I've been ninja'd multiple times already, but that title compels me to post!

"Game of Thrones Actress Will Be Sarah Connor in Terminator Reboot"?

Hehehe, that's funny considering who the last person to portray Sarah Connor was...

I remember how heavily I ROFL'd when I saw the hardass Connor Headey as a queen. But she's so great I couldn't imagine anyone else in either of those roles.

So I guess if it works one way it could work another way too.

Yet, even though I haven't seen Clarke in any other role, she's one of those actresses which seem to be the least fitted to the role of Connor. She's just too sweet and frankly doesn't even seem to be such a good actress either. Every time she acts like a badass it just seems way off. Hell every other woman in Game seems to be more fitted to play Connor. Of course I'm not complaining about the eye candy in Game, but Terminator...

Will she fuck a family member in this one?

Objectable:
Will she fuck a family member in this one?

hehe and the only termination will be the abortion of the misshapen fetus. ~~

Adam Jensen:

Quazimofo:

So? It's a reboot. Why do people think that characters in reboots have to act the same as characters in the original? They don't. Some of them don't even have to exist.

Well sure they don't but if you're going to change things that are particularly important to the story/setting, why not change more stuff and make a new IP or story rather than a re-boot or re-make of the original? Besides, they apparently aren't trying to make it significantly different if they got Arnold to come back and reprise his role, so I'm just wondering why cast an actor more similar to Linda Hamilton?
For all we know, the re-make can be good, I'm not trying to be a "they changed it so it sucks" fanboy, I was just expressing my thoughts since Sarah Connor as she was was pretty important to the Terminator universe. I sincerely doubt they can improve over the original, since this IS modern hollywood we're talking about, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now.

Also, just going to say my opinion on the original is not tinted by nostalgia goggles. I saw it for the first time just a week or so ago and I wasn't even born until after the 80s . It's just a good-if somewhat cheesy- movie with surprisingly decent cg for a robot all things considered.

I'm fine with a reboot of Terminator. But she's just too, pretty and girlish to play Sarah Connor. Sarah is a warrior.

These movies are awesome so let's hope justice is done.

I'm really worried about this. I love the films, with Terminator 2 being one of my favourite movies of all time, and the Sarah Conner Chronicles was so good. Why don't they just continue the tv series instead of trying reboots? Is it just me, or is nearly every film/game series getting rebooted now? Do something NEW Hollywood, I bloody dare you. I mean, it's telling when the news that a beloved franchise is coming back is met with horror and trepidation instead of excitement. Clearly you're doing something wrong.

Realitycrash:
Hey, the Sarah Connor Chronicles were AWESOME. Almost every episode made some sense on the grander scale of things and weren't just "Terminator of the Week", and both Lena Headey as Connor and Summer Glau as the obligatory "good terminator" performed admirably.

Well, the problem is that "Terminator" works best as a more or less self-contained story, once you start trying to spin it into an infinitely perpetuating temporal cycle it starts to get pretty eye rolling. "Sarah Conner Chronicles" was decent for what it was trying to do, but I admit I felt it was really stretching things, and it doesn't shock me that the series didn't make it into the long term franchise it was intended to be.

I think half the problem is that "Terminator" tries to maintain the status quo from the first couple of movies that were decent, as in wanting to portray the humans as plucky underdogs. This typically involves having to make John Connor into an incompetent or at least reluctant whining weiner of a character who might "one day grow into a hero" while focusing entirely on Mommy and whomever the action guy of the moment is (Future soldier, renegade terminator, or whatever). That formula worked well for a story but when you try and pretty much do it again and again, or try and justify that status quo remaining as is when the whole concept doesn't allow for it outside of a specific brief story framework it becomes a problem. The point of the reboot seems to be intended to re-do the same old story yet again without having to worry about the flimsy justifying they already created to try and stretch it out.

Truthfully the big problem I had with "Terminator" was that the entire concept is supposed to pretty much be that Skynet is losing, and losing badly. We see images of a grim future with a couple of human scouts getting chased down (human scouts which I might add seem to take marksmanship lessons from Imperial Stormtroopers given their inability to hit a slow moving robo-gunship with a vehicle mounted energy cannon) but the basic premise is that the whole point of Skynet sending back a "Terminator" is that it's a desperation gambit being tried in the 11th hour. I could accept the events of the first movie perhaps having delayed the inevitable enough for a second chance, but beyond that there was a point at which you pretty much have to accept that it should be over given the premise. What's more the guys elaborating on the future setting never seemed to really grasp the concept that especially in "Sarah Conner Chronciles" humanity should be portrayed as having the situation pretty much under control, with Skynet and it's forces being the things hiding in the cracks (not humans) trying any desperate gamble to turn the war around as that was the initial premise that held the entire thing together.

Those are just my thoughts though. If I was ever going to reboot the series, not that I think it should be done, I might take some inspiration from other sources about intelligent machines and start raising some questions about whether Skynet was entirely wrong if some kind of mechanical AI genocide was being planned beforehand. Not to mention that if Skynet is putting people into camps as opposed to just killing everyone, perhaps even make the argument that where humans are trying to kill all Machines, Skynet at least plans to let humanity survive and try and re-build it into a species it can cohabitate with... once the war is over. Very old ideas (old long before Mass Effect covered the material) but still something you could do if you really HAD to try and drag this franchise out... which IMO you
really shouldn't do to begin with.

Why a reboot? I could agree if it was part of an ongoing series of movies so all new characters are important. But even then if your going to reboot it why even have a Sarah Conner? Why not just make a new sequel with new characters? All this reboot will achieve is retelling the same story except they will use crappy cgi instead of a Terminator model like in the original. Why not just have the movie based around a group of future soldiers on present day earth as they are dealing with other terminators? Be more interesting that a reboot. Hell even the Terminator comics that came out over 10 plus years ago had more originality in them than this reboot will.

You dont need Sarah Conner to make a great Terminator movie. The same way you dont need Ripley to make a great Aliens movie. Which is the reasons the comics of those franchises are so much better than the movies. Both those movies are so old its only the older generation that even care about who Sarah and Ripley are. Most 18 year olds (even moreso if they make it a 13 movie) wont even care. New characters and new plots and story.....not recycling.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here