Capcom Pulls Marvel vs. Capcom From Digital Stores

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Capcom Pulls Marvel vs. Capcom From Digital Stores

NYCC UMvC3 11

After December 17, there will be no way for new customers to purchase DLC for Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3.

Capcom has announced that it will be discontinuing both Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 and Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 from Microsoft and Sony's digital storefronts. Both games, as well as all of their respective DLC, will soon be unavailable for purchase. While physical copies will still be available in stores until stock runs out, as soon as the games are pulled from XBLA and PSN, there will be no legitimate means for new customers to obtain DLC for these games.

On PSN, at least, Capcom is slashing 50% off all of the two games' respective DLC packs. Capcom asks us to "Stay tuned for details about any sales on XBLA".

Here is the schedule for when these games and their DLC will become unavailable on each platform:

• 12/17 for PSN in North America
  • 12/19 for PSN in Europe
  • 12/26 for XBLA globally

Capcom did not offer any explanation behind the takedown, which we will simply interpret as "Capcom being Capcom". The implications on tournament play are unclear, as two characters (Jill and Shuma) will be completely unavailable to new players. Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 released just two years ago, on November 15, 2011.

Source: Capcom Unity

That's interesting, to be honest I kind of wondered how this kind of thing would work out with both Disney and Capcom involved. It's easy to point fingers at Capcom as a gamer, but given what a cash cow Marvel is for Disney I wouldn't be surprised if some of it came down to that end of things. Honestly though I never would have predicted the explosion of a product already on the market this way, but I wasn't banking on ever seeing a "Marvel Vs. Capcom 4".

Looking at the situation with Gazillion and their "Marvel Heroes Online" game and some of the things that have been floating around that community when it comes to licensing characters and such, it occurs to me that Disney might be the culprits, demanding a bigger share of the money due to the increased value of IPs in that game. Allegedly Gazillion winds up having to do a lot of it's pricing based on how much it costs them to get permission to use each specific character they put into the game. Supposedly Nova got delayed so long despite being an initially promised character due to fights with Marvel over the cost of the license after the fact due to some projects they have planned. Putting the character out for the price Marvel wants would lead to him supposedly being twice the price of Spider Man, Deadpool, Or Iron Man who are the most expensive IPs Gazillion got the permission to use... which was kind of unexpected. Of course a lot of this is from in game chat... but it does occur to me that a lot of IPs Marvel/Disney values very highly are present in that crossover game, and if the rumors are true a pre-existing deal might not hold depending on the wording of the contracts.

It's official: they don't want our money.

Ok..... now please DC comics remember those awful mk vs dc games? why don't you guys go over there and talk with capcom I heard they also make cross overs and are free at the moment...............

Welcome to digital distribution age. People who are bend over: you!

siveon:

no, they want our money by artificial scarcity...

And so it begins, luckily i have updated all my ps3 games and i have all the good stuff on disc.

They should make the characters free before they dissapear, it really is a shame to lose all this stuff.

Most likely some sort of license agreement they had for the characters had ran out and they have to pull it off the shelves before they get sued.

CAPCOM seems to be making one bad decision after another. This is a huge step backwards.

Meh. People who were willing to buy it would have already bought it by this point so it is understandable.

Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't having your game on the market place cost you money? It would make sense to take down a product if it is not selling enough to cover its costs anymore and Capcom can't go around burning money nowadays.

It is because they have lost the license on this game. That simple.
"Capcom being Capcom"... there's usually always a reason as to why companies do things like this.

yamy:
Most likely some sort of license agreement they had for the characters had ran out and they have to pull it off the shelves before they get sued.

They won't get sued and they are not pulling anything off the shelves. They are just not allowed to produce more stock and have to cease offering it for download.
The physical copies will still be sold, just that Capcom aren't able to produce any new copies of either title.

My instincts are telling me two things;

1- I'm hungry, get a sandwich.
2- There is considerably more to this story than first seems apparent. Perhaps on Marvel's end?

Sounds like their license for Marvel(or even that specific title involving Marvel) ran out?

Guess too many people were recording lets plays.

Or marvel wanted someone else who isn't hated to handle their franchise.

Vaccine:
Sounds like their license for Marvel(or even that specific title involving Marvel) ran out?

Agreed. Remember those wonderful couch co-op hack and slash games called Marvel: Ultimate Alliance? Those DLC vanished for the same reason. I think that the bigger problem is the way Disney (Marvel) handles its licensing.

FoolKiller:

Vaccine:

Agreed. Remember those wonderful couch co-op hack and slash games called Marvel: Ultimate Alliance? Those DLC vanished for the same reason. I think that the bigger problem is the way Disney (Marvel) handles its licensing.

Well the thing is, why would DIsney do that, I mean Marvel vs Capcom is a nice passive cashcow for them. I suppose the question will b... is this in preparation for the launch of McC4. It's not unheard of in software, adobe does it all the time. When a new version comes out the pull the previous one down.

Speculation yeah but think about it, the change in capcom fighters are more or less incremental and marginal, if they wanted to release a new installment they'd really need to find someway to get the prewvious one away.

Um...okay? This seems really odd and I would like to know more about why this is happening. Until then, I guess I'll go with the licenses running out like most other people are.

BigTuk:
is this in preparation for the launch of McC4

It's in preparation for "This Time Seriously Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3".

It's only going to be a minor patch in terms of gameplay, but it'll include all the previous DLC, and a whole new box art that spoilers the future DLC. It also won't be backwards compatible.

Well that sucks, no wonder that "Ultimate" edition seems more enticing for new MvC3 players. It's easy to point fingers at the easiest target, in this case Capcom, but also let's consider for a moment that this could be Disney/Marvel's doing too.

Drauger:
Ok..... now please DC comics remember those awful mk vs dc games? why don't you guys go over there and talk with capcom I heard they also make cross overs and are free at the moment...............

As far as I know, there's only 1 MK vs DC and I doubt Injustice counts just because it's the same MK devs and Scorpion is a playable character.

MonkeyPunch:
It is because they have lost the license on this game. That simple.
"Capcom being Capcom"... there's usually always a reason as to why companies do things like this.

yamy:

They won't get sued and they are not pulling anything off the shelves. They are just not allowed to produce more stock and have to cease offering it for download.
The physical copies will still be sold, just that Capcom aren't able to produce any new copies of either title.

Bingo.

Sure Capcom makes some dumb decisions from time to time, but does anyone really think they would just stop selling a game on someone elses digital storefront because they have decided they want to stop making money? Come on, that's just dumb.

The licensing issue is why it took so long for MvC3 to even get made in the first place. Capcom needs to have a partnership with Marvel (and now Disney) to even produce the game. It's not solely their property.

Dark Knifer:
Guess too many people were recording lets plays.

Or marvel wanted someone else who isn't hated to handle their franchise.

Someone on the roster became too popular. Since people actually liked him/her, Capcom has been working extra hard to excise them from the franchise.

Normally, I'd blame licensing, but this is Capcom we're talking about.

This is downright amusing. Leave it to Capcom to use digital distribution wrong. The point is the game never has to disappear. There is no physical limitation, discs don't need to be made. Well, I'll chalk this up to Capcom being a Japanese company who fears digital distribution.

I think I'm going to go with what some people have stated on here and agree that this more than likely has a lot to do with Marvel/Disney licensing issues than Capcom just being stupid and taking the game down for no reason.

Yeah, guys, c'mon. We know how goofy licensing processes can be, and while it might be funny to imagine Capcom throwing a hissy fit and saying "We hate you guys so much that we don't even want your money anymore", I promise you that the company is not in fact run by the Umbrella Corporation.

No no! I know what this is! Reality finally bent to the rules of Youtube. Some bumble-fuck company in India took MvC for their own in a claim against some video somewhere. The universe suddenly warped and now Rising Sun Farts owns the digital rights.

rhizhim:

siveon:

How would that work, if they stop selling them?

Lieju:

rhizhim:

siveon:

well then, better go buy it since it wont be around anymore.

Sounds like a licensing thing. There's no reason why they'd remove all sales of any Marvel-related content otherwise.

Pretty soon there's probably gonna be a C&D or demands of some of the cash from tournaments.

Lieju:

rhizhim:

siveon:

The same way it 'worked' for Xenoblade Chronicles and the Metroid Prime Trilogy for the Wii; Production was halted for a long time and then new copies hit the market again at an extra high premium.

bafrali:

Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't having your game on the market place cost you money?

The physical market, yes. The digital market doesn't have any recurring production costs or the like, however. Companies might have to pay for Sony/Microsoft to host their content on their respective services, but I can't imagine even that would cost very much.

It would make sense to take down a product if it is not selling enough to cover its costs anymore and Capcom can't go around burning money nowadays.

Well, and that's generally what happens. After a few years, production on titles stops and then your only chance at finding them is used and/or online. It's a bit more odd for a publisher to pull the digital versions as well, however, which is why as many other posters have mentioned, it seems like it might be a case of Marvel/Disney holding the licensing rights above Capcom's head and Capcom being unwilling to renew.

Or they could be gearing the market up for the next MvC game. Either is plausible.

shrekfan246:

The same way it 'worked' for Xenoblade Chronicles and the Metroid Prime Trilogy for the Wii; Production was halted for a long time and then new copies hit the market again at an extra high premium.

Well the high premium for it in the US was also because in the US GameStop has exclusive rights to distribution of Xenoblade Chronicles. So they get the reprinted copies from Nintendo, and then sell them for a mint as being used, in this case $80-$90 for a "used" copy of the game.
Although I got lucky and managed to get a copy from eBay (on of the original prints) with the manual and reversible cover art for only $50. :D

MrBaskerville:
And so it begins, luckily i have updated all my ps3 games and i have all the good stuff on disc.

They should make the characters free before they disappear, it really is a shame to lose all this stuff.

Of course they aint giving them away for free, theyre Capcom....

In the other hand, it isnt starting, its a reality, the digital market will place artificial barriers over which content can be accessed, the mere fact of accepting the terms and services of your console means that you DO NOT OWN ANYTHING, the big companies own it, and they can take it away from you whenever they can without giving you any reason for it, you only play their games because they WANT YOU TO THINK YOU OWN THEM until the digital overrides the physical content, no one will have the rights to anything, GAMES WILL BECOME NOTHING BUT CONSUMABLE DISPOSABLE PRODUCTS. PACKED, LABELED AND SOLD TO BRAINWASHED PEOPLE WHO BELIEVE THEY ARE FREE... WHO BELIEVE THEY HAVE A CHOICE.... Videogames wont be enjoyed.... THEY WILL BE CONSUMED AND DISPOSED, like.... condoms....
You ALL dont see the big picture. Youtube for instance. Do you think those IP ID bots are just a big epic fail?? Youtube "shooting himself in the foot"? NOOO0O0O0O0O0O0O.... IT IS AN EXPERIMENT, A BETA (or alpha)... A TEST... THEY ARE TESTING THE ULTIMATE AUTOMATIC CENSORSHIP SYSTEM RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOUR EYES, EVERY DAY MAKING IT A BIT BETTER, PREPARING IT... FOR THE TIME GOOGLE DECIDES TO TAKE CONTROL.
AND YOU WILL ALL JUST STAY, HERE, WATCHING HOW IT HAPPENS AND LETTING IT HAPPEN, COMPLAINING ABOUT IT LIKE IT MADE ANY DIFFERENCE :P

And this post will be forgotten, and you wont care, you will go on with your lives. And the changes will come slowly, until one day, you wake up and you watch the prison that has been build around you, and youll die in that prison, and so your children, and the sons of your children, on and on....

BRACE YOURSELVES.

(i went a bit off topic, but whatever, i hope the Escapist doesnt erase this post, in the end, it is a simple truth, one we all should already know about, but we just dont want to face it.... Also thats just their plan, its complicated, they dont want to forbid us from asking the questions, or enjoying our lives, they want to make us dont want to ask such questions, they want to make us believe were happy).

Welcome to the digital "future", where even on-disc "DLC" of entire playable characters in the roster will soon be made unavailable for future players, leaving the game forever incomplete to new players a mere two years after release.

It sucks. And I expect this to start being a trend more and more as developers migrate from the "old" systems to the "new" ones, where giant chunks of a game (from characters to missions to levels) will be simply turned off so future generations can't enjoy them the way they were meant to be enjoyed.

Even more baffling, even IF it's Marvel yanking back the license (probably), that doesn't explain Capcom pulling their Capcom-only characters and costumes (why yank Jill? Capcom owns her!)

This is like that southpark episode where cartman doesn't let people in his amusement park. What this tells us is that capcom are a bunch of clowns.

Lieju:

Evidently, they're having a sale on the games before they're pulled for at lease one of the services. That in itself would do it. Clearing the market then announcing a sequel in the not too distant future is another way they could. The whole 'if you want it you better get it fast' thing leaves a strong mark on the psyche of the consumer.

I'm a fan of OCcam's Razor, though, and I do think licensing is more likely the issue.

bafrali:
Meh. People who were willing to buy it would have already bought it by this point so it is understandable.

Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't having your game on the market place cost you money? It would make sense to take down a product if it is not selling enough to cover its costs anymore and Capcom can't go around burning money nowadays.

On the same theme, it's extremely unlikely that this is the only game series costing them that kind of money. Are you seriously going to tell me Rocketmen: Axis of Evil is more popular than MVC 2 AND 3?

There are effectively dead franchises still up on XBLA and PSN right now, so it's really hard to buy into this notion that they're 'burning money' on one specific franchise alone.

The Rogue Wolf:
Yeah, guys, c'mon. We know how goofy licensing processes can be, and while it might be funny to imagine Capcom throwing a hissy fit and saying "We hate you guys so much that we don't even want your money anymore", I promise you that the company is not in fact run by the Umbrella Corporation.

Well, of course not. It's not like they'd name the bad guys in RE after themselves. They merely patterned the bad guys after themselves. You don't remember the time they unleashed zombies on Japan?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here