Call of Duty: Ghosts Sales Are "Troubling," Analyst Says

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Call of Duty: Ghosts Sales Are "Troubling," Analyst Says

Call of Duty Ghosts Screenshot 4

Call of Duty: Ghosts is a big hit but its sales are running significantly lower than last year's Call of Duty: Black Ops 2.

Call of Duty: Ghosts may well be the best-selling game of the year, but it's still trailing Black Ops 2 sales by 19 percent year-over-year. Activision had previously warned that the transition between console generations would negatively impact sales, but analyst Doug Creutz of Cowen and Co. said the situation is worse than the publisher predicted.

"Upon further reflection, we think the numbers are a bit more troubling than they first appeared," Creutz wrote in a note to investors. "While the year-over-year gap is only 19 percent thus far, that includes two extra weeks of sales for the 360 and PS3 versions. Against 2011′s [Modern Warfare 3], where the difference is only one week, the title is down 32 percent life-to-date."

In other words, if Ghosts didn't have an extra week of sales (the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions of Ghosts came out November 5, while Black Ops 2 came out on November 12), the gap between it and Black Ops 2 would be even greater. The later release of the game on the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One accounts for some of the slide but Creutz said that neither console has enough of a user base to make up the overall difference.

The gap could grow even wider over the vital month of December, he added, which would leave the game in a pretty bleak position. "We don't think it is out of the question that the title could wind up comparing down 20 percent to 25 percent year-over-year, which is appreciably worse than the down 10 to 15 percent that we think is baked in to guidance," he said.

Source: VentureBeat

So the MMS genre or Spunkgargleweewee if you follow Yahtzee is experiencing a contraction?

Perhaps now the AAA industry can begin to move forward again.

Might be troubling to them but for me it's refreshing. Hopefully this sends a message to the suit wearing potato heads that people are getting tired of just rehashing the same old shit. And that maybe it's time to green light some new ideas rather than just tarting up the same doddering old whore year after year.

The issue with Ghosts is that while it offers a 'different' setting and situation, it's all in all the same as the games prior. A reskinned Modern Warfare 3 basically. Infinity Ward is essentially a new studio, so they played it safe, but there was nothing new offered even by Call of Duty standards. And this shows the players are not up to buying a 60+ USD game after Black Ops 2 and Modern Warfare 3. I won't be surprised if the next Treyarch CoD game (If Sledgehammer Games doesn't make a CoD as well) has a lower sales record too.

So the cracks in the armor of the CoD franchise are beginning to widen to the point that even industry professionals won't be able to make excuses for it? I don't see any problem with this. From what I hear the series has been skating along with minimal innovation for years. This could be that kick in the ass needed to jump-start the creativity again.

Well how 'bout that? You sh*t out a cookie-cutter sequel year after year, and suddenly people stop paying for it! Who'd have thunk it?

They have a lot more competition now, and people are noticing it because they're tired of CoD. Also, Activision isn't doing anything to reinvent the series after 6 years. So this is not unexpected.

Yep nothing to do with several million people waiting to get a PS4 before buying ghosts not at all.

Because the same didnt happen with Tony Hawk and Guitar Hero /sarcasm

Im suprised it lasted as long as it did though

I'm just going to assume that "troubling" is code "promising"

This is great news! Make the next one all dogs.

Ed130:
So the MMS genre or Spunkgargleweewee if you follow Yahtzee is experiencing a contraction?

I would say Call of Duty is suffering a contraction rather than the MMS in general, because the MMS genre more or less died with Homefront and Medal of Honor: Doorfighter. BF4 seems to be selling pretty well buggy release be damned (just like BF3, BC2, BF2...) and will likely keep selling at a steady rate for the next two years at least (just like BF3, BC2, BF2...).

Other MMS games don't really exist now, Crysis is a sci-fi game, ARMA is it's own thing entirely (and doing really well by the way), Halo, Titanfall and Destiny will all be sci-fi themed (welcome back to the nineties!).

Activision are paying for releasing almost the same game every year since Modern Warfare, with the same 'America the Underdog' plot since MW2, much like Guitar Hero, even if it is the biggest franchise in the world right now, eventually people will get bored with it. Although Activision haven't done quite the hatchet job they did to Guitar Hero, Call of Duty seems to have had it's sales peak at MW3, now it's time for the rot.

Dreadman75:
This could be that kick in the ass needed to jump-start the creativity again.

The creativity was West, Zampella and friends, they and everyone they thought useful are now working at Respawn on Titanfall, those people made CoD1, they made CoD4 (it has to be said, against Activision's demands for more WW2), now they're making the game they pitched to Activision five years ago, for EA.

I wonder, would the cost of paying Infinity Ward's bonuses have been offset by continued growth and/or new franchises from them, or does Activision still think it made the right move kicking them out to try (and fail) avoid paying?

Ed130:

Probably not quite yet if the game industry is anything like the television industry. I mean, American Idol is an absolute nosedive, but FOX continues to give it new season after new season. Once a company finds something with the level of success both those things have shown, they're going to latch on to it until it bursts into flames.

Adam Jensen:
They have a lot more competition now, and people are noticing it because they're tired of CoD. Also, Activision isn't doing anything to reinvent the series after 6 years. So this is not unexpected.

Call Of Duty: Ghosts is completely different, it has amazing fish AI

Seriously OT, While this is good news to me, I dont think we should be celebrating the downfall of CoD just yet, all it would take is some slight differences and good advertising to bring it back up. But hopefully this trend continues, but then something else will take its place and we will be pissed at that.

Capcha, How interesting, very true isnt it?

Yay!

Hopefully now Activision will realise that they will have to put some actual fucking effort into their iterations!

That's gotta be disturbing for the devs, considering they only know how to make one game over and over again.

Lvl 64 Klutz:

Ed130:

Probably not quite yet if the game industry is anything like the television industry. I mean, American Idol is an absolute nosedive, but FOX continues to give it new season after new season. Once a company finds something with the level of success both those things have shown, they're going to latch on to it until it bursts into flames.

Oh I don't give a damm if Activision crashes or at least looses millions trying to ride this to the end, I just want to see the other AAA publishers not play 'follow the COD leader' so much.

Why do I suddenly have my head full of imagining an Activision exec played by Brian Blessed, going "I DO NOT LIKE THIS NEWS, BRING ME SOME OTHER NEWS!"

I suppose that dog didn't do its job, huh. Naturally. Should have been a cat.

Maybe they should make the next game where you play as a team of dogs. Or an actual ghost soldier getting revenge. Either way it would be something original instead of the usual stagnate crap that release every year.

Oh no where will I get my daily dose of mediocrity. Never been much of a fan of this series but never really hated it either. However given the youtube debacle and Activisions stand on it I think I'll take a little mean spirited glee from this.

I will, for once, allow myself the boundless optimism required to hope that the gaming market has finally, finally become saturated with dirt-brown, pseudo-realistic, modern-day military shooters, and that people are beginning to look for something different.

SonOfVoorhees:
Maybe they should make the next game where you play as a team of dogs. Or an actual ghost soldier getting revenge. Either way it would be something original instead of the usual stagnate crap that release every year.

I want Call of Duty X Warcraft.

Fantasy heroes vs modern military soldiers.

I don't care if the fantasy faction has to have Mary Sue level invulnerability, that is one territory that has yet to be explored.

Maybe there's more people out there like me that just wanted to play an interactive Michael Bay directed adaptation of a Tom Clancy novel. I never played Black Ops 1 or 2 and was never big on CoD's multiplayer. Now that MW3 wrapped up that plotline, there is little interest in this stagnating franchise.

Hmmmm, and wasn't Activision bragging about how Ghosts was going to blow GTA V out of the water? HA!

One thing I never understood was their excuse that the console generation transition was one of the thing hurting their sales. And if someone could explain that excuse to me, I'd appreciate it. The way I see it, it could only help to boost sales since there's now 4 possible consoles to buy the game on rather than just 2. As a launch title for the new generation, you'd think anyone interested in the game and interested in a new console would be picking that up along with their new console while those waiting to get a new console but were interested in the game would have simply picked it up for the old consoles when it first came out.

Pogilrup:

SonOfVoorhees:

I want Call of Duty X Warcraft.

Fantasy heroes vs modern military soldiers.

I don't care if the fantasy faction has to have Mary Sue level invulnerability, that is one territory that has yet to be explored.

Actually it's been done a lot in novels, pen and paper RPGs, and others. Tech Vs. Magic and various crossovers pitting them against each other is a very old idea. Indeed Michael Moorcock handled that heavily in his books where Chaos generally lead to magic and sorcery, where Order ultimately lead to high technology, and what dominated a given dimension tended to be a sign of which was side was dominant. The old "Madwand" books went into this pretty heavily. Terry Brooks "Shanarra" stories were actually post apocalyptic, Robert Adams post apocalyptic horseclans stories oftentimes had the "heroic" (note the quotes) Horseclans who were neo-barbarians with swords, spears, and mutant psionics ("magic") fighting against technological remnants and hold outs from the old world.

Indeed it's so prevalent that there was one cult classic book called "Grunts" by the author "Mary Gentle" that parodies the entire thing. The premise of that is that our "heroes" are a bunch of orcs working for the dark lord of that world who get sent to kill this truly ancient dimension travelling dragon, a dragon so ancient that when they run into it, it finally expires from old age (hey it has to happen eventually!) allowing them to loot it's treasure trove of transdimensional weapons (it was a collector) which involve massive amounts of modern (late 20th century) weaponry, guns, rocket launchers, tanks, APCs, helicopters, along with all of the relevant training manuals written by the US Marine Corps. who they decide were obviously the baddest guys in the universe. The Orcs pretty much train themselves into equivalent of the US Marines while still being Orcs and then proceed to head out to conquer the world in the name of the Dark Lord, where they proceed to immediately get stomped all over by the good guys in the "final battle between good and evil" despite all common sense (it is part of the joke). After which the Orcs (who are still quite strong) go into semi-retirement (by Orcish standards), having used their tech and training to cover the retreat of the remaining hordes of evil... where things then proceed to get insane as the leader hooks up with a Halfling dominatrix, the defeated dark lord goes into politics and conquers the world anyway and uh... stuff... it's pretty long and gets progressively more insane as it continues.

I did not like Ghosts, the first Call of Duty game I can say that about. The storyline was just...meh (yes, I play the CoD games for their single player storyline, not multiplayer). I didn't like any of the characters except for Keegan and Logan because they both barely talked, none of the levels ever felt 'desperate' or action-packed like previous games in the series (The LA mission in Black Ops II, the Russian invasion in MW2, invading Germany in MW3, the list goes on). For America being up against the wall, it never felt like we were in any actual danger. And I kept feeling like the game wanted to be about Hesh and Logan was just tagging along for the ride. "We made a promise." No Hesh, YOU made a promise, and a rather stupid, boring, cliche one at that. And that scene in the plane? Someone at IW watched The Dark Knight Rises way too many times.

This storyline, to me, is the worst of all of the Call of Duty games.

Kumagawa Misogi:
Yep nothing to do with several million people waiting to get a PS4 before buying ghosts not at all.

This is the post I was looking for.

A sensible, and plausible explanation for what's happening that isn't tinted with bias.

Draconalis:

Kumagawa Misogi:

A sensible, and plausible explanation for what's happening that isn't tinted with bias.

Except the article makes note of this and states that the current install base of new consoles isn't enough to explain the deficit.

Andy Chalk:
The later release of the game on the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One accounts for some of the slide but Creutz said that neither console has enough of a user base to make up the overall difference.

Ed130:

Draconalis:

Kumagawa Misogi:

Except the article makes note of this and states that the current install base of new consoles isn't enough to explain the deficit.

Andy Chalk:
The later release of the game on the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One accounts for some of the slide but Creutz said that neither console has enough of a user base to make up the overall difference.

but did it take into account console distribution limitations?

Call of Duty Black Ops 2 was a very respectable step in the right direction on Treyarch's part, actually putting effort into making the campaign worth playing, with half-decent characters (yes, Menendez's entire rise to power was unbelievably over-the-top, but he was actually, y'know, imposing compared to the likes of Makarov and Shepard, who were just boring [fuck America because fuck America and fuck everywhere but America because America]), actual replay value due to having in-game challenges to unlock new weapons (for the SINGLE PLAYER, at that) and multiple endings based on the player's actions across the campaign.

Then Ghosts was released, and it threw literally EVERYTHING that Treyarch did well out the window in favour of producing their typical half-assed 80's action movie story with the most lame attempts at drama I've seen since Modern Warfare 3, and that's saying something. Thus I am not in the least bit surprised that Ghosts is lagging behind BlOps 2, being that anyone that's played BlOps 2 will have higher expectations for CoD now, expectations that Ghosts doesn't come anywhere close to living up to.

I'm clearly in the minority, but I am of the opinion that Infinity Ward should be barred from making future Call of Duty games, and all the development money that would have been given to them should be funneled to Treyarch instead, who should be allowed 2-3 year development cycles, because Treyarch actually fucking TRIES (or maybe Infinity Ward does try, and is just really incompetent) and their last contribution to the franchise took several dozen steps forward that CoD desperately needed.

pha kin su pah:

Ed130:

Draconalis:

Andy Chalk:

Unknown, but considering that 'upgrade deal' publishers are offering and Sony learning its mistakes somewhat it may not be as much as you believe.

SILENTrampancy:
-snip-

You may want to edit you post, it seems to be a little broken.

Ed130:

pha kin su pah:

Ed130:

Unknown, but considering that 'upgrade deal' publishers are offering and Sony learning its mistakes somewhat it may not be as much as you believe.

SILENTrampancy:
-snip-

You may want to edit you post, it seems to be a little broken.

Too lazy, feel free to do it yourself.

Ed130:

pha kin su pah:

Ed130:

im thinking more along the lines of you won't sell 100 copies to the 20 people that have the console. the upgrade deal is counted as 1, and considering online there is roughly 13k to what would be the usual 250k +, alot of people have held off.

its just going to hard to get an accurate number.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here