Destiny Inspired by Dark Souls, Monster Hunter, Bungie Says

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Destiny Inspired by Dark Souls, Monster Hunter, Bungie Says

Bungie's Destiny won't just be another Halo: the developers are interested in drawing from several sources to create a new experience.

Bungie's upcoming Destiny is trying some cool new ideas, but the content we've seen so far has invited some dismissive labels of "it's just Halo meets Borderlands." While the developers are clearly drawing inspiration from Gearbox's loot-em-up, and will inevitably utilize their experience from the Halo series, Destiny is meant to be more than the sum of its parts. In an interview with Game Informer, Bungie's Tyson Green explained that Destiny is pulling ideas from some unlikely sources - namely, the mechanical depth and brutality of Dark Souls and Monster Hunter.

Green explains that Borderlands did a great job at providing a wide variety of guns and loot, but the RPG elements were weakened by gameplay that quickly got old. "I think that they spent too much effort on [the guns], and not enough effort on, well, what do you use those things for?" Bungie aims to focus on strong moment-to-moment gameplay supported by loot that drops less frequently, but always feels meaningful. "If something drops and you don't care about it, we should take that out of the game," he says.

When Dark Souls launched in 2011, Bungie's development team was captivated by it. The game forced players to learn the intricacies of its systems in order to succeed, and if you didn't, you would die - a lot. "We're building lots of encounters ... where it's not immediately obvious what you should do, and in fact you're going to fail. Oh my god, you're actually going to play a triple-A video game, and fail a lot!" Destiny will feature a more casual experience for players just following the main storyline, but the Dark Souls-style challenge is there for those brave enough to seek it out.

Source: Game Informer

What's tragic here is that the people who would truly appreciate this game, the PC gamers, probably won't get to play it on their PC's.

Sounds like they are desperately trying to convince people that it's not just another FPS. They would have more luck if it wasn't, in fact, just another FPS. Anyway, not on PC - no sale.

I'm glad to hear that. Any extra brutal difficulty that I can go find if I feel up to it makes me feel good about potential longevity.

Naqel:
What's tragic here is that the people who would truly appreciate this game, the PC gamers, probably won't get to play it on their PC's.

So the fact that I own a PS4 makes me incapable of truly appreciating the game?

Hawkeye21:
Sounds like they are desperately trying to convince people that it's not just another FPS. They would have more luck if it wasn't, in fact, just another FPS. Anyway, not on PC - no sale.

How do you know that, in fact, it's just another FPS?

The more I hear about this game the more I like it. If all goes well, then in about nine months I'll have a PS4 and a nice new copy of Destiny to go with it. I can't wait!

Compatriot Block:

FPS always boils down to "shoot the thing", RPG skills / elements are there just to break up the monotony.

Not saying it'll be bad, but it will be another FPS, what will make it a great FPS is the smaller details, strong controls / responsiveness / good amount of depth in all their systems / no useless bloat systems.

Also, the FoV looked like shit, next gen consoles ahooy!

Now put it on PC.

Vaccine:

Compatriot Block:

FPS always boils down to "shoot the thing", RPG skills / elements are there just to break up the monotony.

Not saying it'll be bad, but it will be another FPS, what will make it a great FPS is the smaller details, strong controls / responsiveness / good amount of depth in all their systems / no useless bloat systems.

Now put it on PC.

Sorry, I just misinterpreted it as impossibly early judgement.

And to be fair, at least one game on the PS4 (Warframe) has an FOV slider, so it's not like that's a permanent problem on the system.

Naqel:

Huh... Guess that I'm getting it on PS4 mean's I won't appreciate it as much as them...

I truly do admire those PC gamers and their higher intelligence and better appreaciation of the arts.

Meh. The game looks like Borderlands with a Halo skin.

It's cool to see Dark Souls recognized for the gem it is...but really, Bungie. Stick with what you know.

Artemis923:

It's cool to see Dark Souls recognized for the gem it is...but really, Bungie. Stick with what you know.

So, we should all do the same things over and over again? A repetitive slog is far worse than a slog that at least attempted something new. At least a hint of evolution was present.

I keep vacillating on this game. On the one hand, I really enjoyed Halo: CE back in the day. On the other hand, that game was mostly remarkable as being a console FPS that actually worked. I do think Destiny will be good, but $400 good? When my Steam backlog of guaranteed excellent games is as massive as it is? Not likely. Ah well, I guess I'll just use my rig to watch other people play it on YouTube when the time comes, provided Google hasn't unleashed Skynet by then.

Claiming a gun-toting FPS is inspired by and anything like Dark Souls? Laughable!

Name dropping with not a shred of credibility.

"Blah blah blah please oh please keep our PR department talking about the game so people stay hyped until we finally manage to launch this turkey ... NEXT year."

King Whurdler:

Artemis923:

So, we should all do the same things over and over again? A repetitive slog is far worse than a slog that at least attempted something new. At least a hint of evolution was present.

Bungie has evolved absolutely nothing, though. Taking an idea that's been done and adding some flare isn't innovation, it's imitation. The whole point of Dark Souls is its message. The beauty of the game is finding that message, piece by piece, in the world. The way you traverse the ruins of Lordran is unlike anything else. On the surface, the world seems lacking and somewhat boring. It's about the hunting of legends, the seeking of myths, and surviving the encounter when they turn out to be real. So many mysteries and secret to unravel! How did the Witches of Izalith fall to Chaos? Why did Seath the Scaleless betray his own kind? What fate befell the legendary Abysswalker, Artorias? What befell the once glorious city of New Londo?

Bungie is a talented developer, but I have no confidence that they can come close to the majesty of Dark Souls.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'll be going back to traversing the white fog @_@

But they didn't say they were inspired by Dark Souls just that they found it interesting, if you pay attention they are very clear that there will be a story/casual part and a challenge part as they were doing in Halo.

The more noteworthy part is them understanding that design trumps random generation and that mountains of loot just means you care that much less about what you get.

Compatriot Block:

Korten12:
Huh... Guess that I'm getting it on PS4 mean's I won't appreciate it as much as them...

I truly do admire those PC gamers and their higher intelligence and better appreaciation of the arts.

Challenging FPS game on a gamepad? Yeah, like that will ever happen...

milijanko:

Compatriot Block:

Korten12:

Timesplitters.

OT: I kind of expected more of the Escapist community instead of having everyone go "It looks like shit, but if it was on PC it would be glorious", I also like playing on PC but what a dumb mentality to think that it goes from 1 to 10 just because of it being on a different platform.

pfft! A toe-tag FPS grasping desperately at the coattails of a unique game...

Can we please not stoop down to taking pot shots at the gaming platform that you don't game on? And the same with FPS games. I'm starting to get the feeling that some gamers treat FPSs the same way the mainstream media treat video games in general. Dismissing them as crap without giving them a chance. This is coming from someone who likes Halo AND Dark Souls.

EDIT: And they didn't say they were trying to make the next Dark Souls, they said they were inspired by the difficulty.

I think the comments here nicely sum up the community of the Escapist.

No PC? NO SALE DERP

Console FPS? NUTHER' BORING GAME WONT PLAY

Positive comments about a game? POINTLESS HYPE WE CANT HAVE FUN EVER

Optimism?

NO.

FUCKING.

CHANCE.

This is The Escapist Forum, where fun goes to die.

milijanko:

Compatriot Block:

Korten12:

All FPS's using a gamepad are challenging because aiming with a gamepad is like braining yourself compared to using a mouse.

Although they could actually make it challenging by making you think about what you are doing for a change.

Elf Defiler Korgan:
...a gun-toting FPS...

WHAT?? AN FPS WILL HAVE GUNS IN IT? You just blew my mind, I'd have never thought that a First Person Shooter would have guns in it. I think I need a lie down.

Of course if Valve said they'd be trying to take some inspiration from the Soul's games, I'm betting this site would cream itself.

I trust Bungie to make a quality FPS, particularly a non-Halo one. It seems to me they've been wanting to break out of that mould for quite some time. That they're taking on such an extensive project, and taking Dark Souls as inspiration no less, is nothing short of exciting. I am excited for a AAA FPS with actual depth; I am excited for a AAA FPS that will allow me to fail.

I'm definitely purchasing Destiny, and I sincerely hope it sticks the landing.

klaynexas3:

Elf Defiler Korgan:
...a gun-toting FPS...

WHAT?? AN FPS WILL HAVE GUNS IN IT? You just blew my mind, I'd have never thought that a First Person Shooter would have guns in it. I think I need a lie down.

Of course if Valve said they'd be trying to take some inspiration from the Soul's games, I'm betting this site would cream itself.

Well we'd be more likely to believe them. Also it would be coming out on pc so I'd have a reason to care.

klaynexas3:

Elf Defiler Korgan:
...a gun-toting FPS...

I specified the gun-toting, because Dark Souls can actually have first person shooting with the bows (bow first person shooter? Bfps? Although most shots seem third person except on some angles). Quite a lot actually if you go a heavy archer build.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uswzGme7WQ4

Compatriot Block:

Korten12:

While I can't obviously speak for individuals and plan to get Destiny on PS4 myself, the average console gamer won't get(or pass it up if it won't quite live up to the hype) Destiny for what it is, but because of who made it.

Hell, the average PC gamer would probably do the same, but the difference here is that while everyone can appreciate a good game, PC gamers are more likely to appreciate a hard one.

josemlopes:

milijanko:

Compatriot Block:

Korten12:

OT: I kind of expected more of the Escapist community instead of having everyone go "It looks like shit, but if it was on PC it would be glorious", I also like playing on PC but what a dumb mentality to think that it goes from 1 to 10 just because of it being on a different platform.

It happens a lot here whenever there's some good game that some people want and then forget that they chose to just remain on their one platform.

I don't have a PS4 yet but I'm more than willing to buy one once a few more months have passed and a few more games are out rather than going with the mentality of "God I wish those games came to my platform".

But yeah I've grown tired of seeing the same slog phrases of "it's shite", "It would be better on the PC", to me it just comes off as incredibly obnoxious and childish.

OT: While I'm happy the game will be somewhat a challenge, I'm not exactly thrilled that I might have to die over and over and over (Just like Dark Souls which I never want to play again) just to finish a mission or getting from one room to the other.

I know I don't like being held by the hand but I could also do without the multiple times of dying, that and copying the "Learn or you die" is only fun for the few that the niche fits, not everyone else who are originally into this game like I still am.

In fact I just want there to be difficulty modes or missions with certain difficulties, none of that "it's hard mode or the highway" bullshit of an excuse.

Artemis923:

Bungie has evolved absolutely nothing, though. Taking an idea that's been done and adding some flare isn't innovation, it's imitation. The whole point of Dark Souls is its message. The beauty of the game is finding that message, piece by piece, in the world. The way you traverse the ruins of Lordran is unlike anything else. On the surface, the world seems lacking and somewhat boring. It's about the hunting of legends, the seeking of myths, and surviving the encounter when they turn out to be real. So many mysteries and secret to unravel! How did the Witches of Izalith fall to Chaos? Why did Seath the Scaleless betray his own kind? What fate befell the legendary Abysswalker, Artorias? What befell the once glorious city of New Londo?

Bungie is a talented developer, but I have no confidence that they can come close to the majesty of Dark Souls.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'll be going back to traversing the white fog @_@

I don't know what you mean by "Bungie has evolved absolutely nothing". If you mean in regards to gameplay they created; Halo, like it or not, fundamentally changed the FPS to the point in which its influences are still felt today in almost every game. I understand how people can dislike it, but saying that it wasn't innovative is just being willfully blind.

If you mean in regards to story and plot then that's where we can have an interesting conversation. I can actually see similarities between the two games, and yes I am a huge Dark Souls fan it's become the game I regularly fall back to for multiplayer and I have the lore damn near memorized. Both, and for Destiny just include the phrase "seem to" because it's not out yet, drop you into the middle of a dead/dying world and then leave it up to you to figure out what's going on. Whether Bungie will go the DS route and not tell you anything from the start or give you an early explanation for how the world gets that way and then puts you in places where you learn on your own remains to be seen. It could be that they meant that they really like the DS method of "implicit storytelling" and are looking to use it in Destiny which would be a neat idea. Regardless, I'm looking forward to Destiny. Bungie is one of the few AAA companies that really gives a damn about the product it makes so colour me interested.

Naqel:

Compatriot Block:

Korten12:

While I can't obviously speak for individuals and plan to get Destiny on PS4 myself, the average console gamer won't get(or pass it up if it won't quite live up to the hype) Destiny for what it is, but because of who made it.

Hell, the average PC gamer would probably do the same, but the difference here is that while everyone can appreciate a good game, PC gamers are more likely to appreciate a hard one.

Where does this mindset come from at all? If we're talking about how PC gamers appreciate a hard game more than console gamers, then how come Dark Souls, a cult phenomenon well known for being hard as hell, was a console exclusive for a long time? I have to call BS on the concept that some people appreciate types of games more than others based on what they play them on.

The industry has turned me off from FPSs.

Still, its refreshing to see a AAA FPS developer just aspiring to do something different, while many others have retired to just tweaking the old stuff.
I still think Destiny looks pretty average, but maybe there is a gem somewhere in there.

I'm pretty excited for The Division by Ubisoft though, maybe just because third-person shooters have been overlooked for awhile.

Vaccine:

Compatriot Block:

Now put it on PC.

According to your definition all FPS are just another FPS.... This makes me wonder if you can enjoy FPS.... Actually if i apply your definition to any other genre it stands the same... All RPGs are just another RPG because it all boils down to play a role and made decisions upon it, all Racing games are just another Racing game because it all boils down to win the race, all platform games are just another platform game becuase it all boils down to jump between platforms....
Do you enjoy any game at all? or youre just lying to yourself?? or youre mad because it isnt in PC and you cant enjoy it??
BTW im mad too, because i was planning to not buy a console this gen, but now im kinda convinced to buy a PS4 along my PC (or SteamBox). :)

Elias Islas Rodriguez:

Vaccine:

Compatriot Block:

Now put it on PC.

According to your definition all FPS are just another FPS.... This makes me wonder if you can enjoy FPS.... Actually if i apply your definition to any other genre it stands the same... All RPGs are just another RPG because it all boils down to play a role and made decisions upon it, all Racing games are just another Racing game because it all boils down to win the race, all platform games are just another platform game becuase it all boils down to jump between platforms....
Do you enjoy any game at all? or youre just lying to yourself?? or youre mad because it isnt in PC and you cant enjoy it??
BTW im mad too, because i was planning to not buy a console this gen, but now im kinda convinced to buy a PS4 along my PC (or SteamBox). :)

Did you even read the post?

erttheking:

Where does this mindset come from at all? If we're talking about how PC gamers appreciate a hard game more than console gamers, then how come Dark Souls, a cult phenomenon well known for being hard as hell, was a console exclusive for a long time? I have to call BS on the concept that some people appreciate types of games more than others based on what they play them on.

Because it was made in Japan, by a Japanese developer. It's a different country and a different culture, including gaming culture. They don't exactly do much PC over there, and the only reason we even got Dark Soul's for PC(and will get it's sequel for it too) was because enough of us wanted it to be ported over for it to be deemed viable, even if not all of us would follow through.

Naqel:

erttheking:

Because it was made in Japan, by a Japanese developer. It's a different country and a different culture, including gaming culture. They don't exactly do much PC over there, and the only reason we even got Dark Soul's for PC(and will get it's sequel for it too) was because enough of us wanted it to be ported over for it to be deemed viable, even if not all of us would follow through.

That still doesn't explain how if western console gamers can't appreciate a good hard game why over a million of them bought the game.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/117146-Dark-Souls-Claims-a-Million-Sales-in-the-West

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here