Xbox One DRM Crashes Killer Instinct Tournament

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Xbox One DRM Crashes Killer Instinct Tournament

An Xbox One license query brought a tournament to a sudden halt - and the whole ordeal was captured on the live stream.

DRM is almost never good news for consumers. At best, it's only a minor annoyance for legitimate customers, but at its worst... well, stuff like this happens. A qualifying tournament featuring competitive Killer Instinct was brought to a standstill when Microsoft DRM closed the game in the middle of the semifinals match and demanded a check-in. A live stream of the match on Twitch.tv recorded the interruption, which stalled the tournament for several minutes before being resolved. You can watch it happen in the video right here, around the 6:30 mark.

The debacle occurred during a qualifying tournament for New York City's Defend The North pro gaming event. The contestants played several rounds in the semifinals before the Xbox One abruptly closed Killer Instinct and returned to the home screen, where it prompted the users for authentication of game ownership. The players were baffled, and it took about four minutes before the game could be successfully restarted.

Presumably this issue arose because the game was being played in a different Xbox One console than it was originally registered on, though that does raise some questions about how to prevent this type of problem in the future. Microsoft ditched its initial concept of 24-hour check-in DRM, but clearly the current model isn't exactly flexible. The query didn't appear to give players a chance to save their game before closing it entirely, so if this particular issue crops up again, it could cost users more than just four minutes of fiddling.

Source: Twitch.tv

heh

If anyone is surprised by this I would be shocked, MS made it pretty clear the Xbone they initially showed was the one they really wanted to release so it's no surprise this would happen sooner or later.

Sorry moderators, I know you don't like low content, but that's all I can do.

This, is a very good thing. Stay with me on this one. This is going to go as nuclearly viral as it will go, and as a result, Microsoft are going to make many more beneficial changes (for us) to the console to try to sooth over and restore good will.

008Zulu:
This, is a very good thing. Stay with me on this one. This is going to go as nuclearly viral as it will go, and as a result, Microsoft are going to make many more beneficial changes (for us) to the console to try to sooth over and restore good will.

While you are (probably) right, it's depressing that large corporations need to be burned like this in order to learn.

This Gen is dead to me... PC, oh baby, take me back, I'M SORRY!! I know now, you are better, PLEASE! I WAS WONG, GIVE ME ANOTHER CHANCE!

Cognimancer:
The query didn't appear to give players a chance to save their game before closing it entirely,

Of course it didn't, because why would you give filthy, game-stealing pirates a chance to save there game? It's not as if DRM ever negatively affects loyal customers...

Tanis:
I swear I've seen this before...
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.837057-Xbox-One-24-Hour-Check-DRM-Returns#20520008

IDK, it's almost like deja vu.

Y'know, some people don't actually read the gaming discussion board. o.o As has been pointed out before when this issue is brought up, a bunch of people just poke around the news section for interesting stories, without having it mixed in with random discussions on the favorite games or other subjects. So adding a thread here just means that the news gets spread further! :3

Also reasonably certain you can't copyright forum posts. <.< I've checked with the lawyers.

Ed130:

008Zulu:

While you are (probably) right, it's depressing that large corporations need to be burned like this in order to learn.

Hey, better we get some laughs for being right then them benefiting from being wrong, amiright or amiright?

And so the issues before the xbone's 180 are still prevalent in a way.
Hopefully this will come off as a lesson to Microsoft that their DRM was garbage and even the remnants of it is proof that we legitimate consumers were right. >:)
Lest next gen be anymore BS then it already is.

Meh, at least the yanks can have etournaments. We barely get anything in Oz.

Pretty much sums up DRM for me. A minor annoyance at best, a travesty at worst, and not fucking needed at all.

Don't know why everyone is whining so much about Microsoft & DRM anymore, the Xbox One has pretty much the same DRM as 360, PS3 and PS4.
360 & One Secondary consoles need 24-hour check in to play.
PS3 & PS4 Secondary consoles need to be always online.
Which is just for digital Download games, Disc based games just have a standard Disk-check on all consoles.

Oh Microsoft, you're so wacky.

Even once we all called you on your nonsense, you still keep it dear to your heart, and you will be damned before you give up DRM.

There's something wrong with a console when stuff like this happens. I mean, this just points out its flaws

As others have pointed out, this isn't a return of the 24-hour check-in.

However, it's still unacceptable for a console to interrupt your gameplay by demanding your credentials as if you're some sort of thief, so that's still not a good enough defense. Sorry apologists.

Microsoft, treating customers like ex-convicts that must report in to their parole officers.

Ugh.

PC's, all is forgiven. I will learn how to build one, I will study the ins-and-outs of your magical ways. I will forsake Windows for the glory of Linux. Just, please, for the love of God, allow us to play games without putting up with horseshit shenanigans of consoles like the Xbone!

Mr. Q:
PC's, all is forgiven. I will learn how to build one, I will study the ins-and-outs of your magical ways. I will forsake Windows for the glory of Linux. Just, please, for the love of God, allow us to play games without putting up with horseshit shenanigans of consoles like the Xbone!

Yes my child, all are welcome to the hallowed halls of the Computron. Come, join your fellow PC Ubermensch, so that we may usher in a glorious new age of gaming

Mr. Q:

Well with GFWL going the way of the Dodo, if you don't mind Steam, Origin and Uplay as DRM 'services' and GOG for free-range games then you're going to love PC.

You know what the irony is? This wouldn't have happened with a pirated copy. :D

on the plus side i guess it was god it did not fuck up in the middle of the fight

Chaosritter:
You know what the irony is?

Yes, and this isn't it.

Irony would be Microsoft's DRM giving everyone free games.

Ed130:

Mr. Q:

Well with GFWL going the way of the Dodo, if you don't mind Steam, Origin and Uplay as DRM 'services' and GOG for free-range games then you're going to love PC.

ORIGIN?!?! AS IN EA'S ORIGIN?!?

I just don't get why they keep doing this shit, I mean, If I were to play a pirate version of a game on the Xbone, there would be a way to hack it in order to avoid any of this dumbass prompts. There will always be someone out there that will outsmart ANY "anti-pirating" crap and make that the most playable version of them all.

It's just like when I called it on the "Simcity can't be played offline" and then there it was, working as it always should've.

Mr. Q:

Ed130:

Mr. Q:

hugs Mr.Q

I'm sorry for mentioning it, I try to be open minded when giving out advice.

Personally I don't plan on ever using it, the general lack of any sort of quality from EA these days is the biggest reason.

That's hilarious :D

Tentaquil:

Yes my child, all are welcome to the hallowed halls of the Computron. Come, join your fellow PC Ubermensch, so that we may usher in a glorious new age of gaming

Shaidz:
This Gen is dead to me... PC, oh baby, take me back, I'M SORRY!! I know now, you are better, PLEASE! I WAS WONG, GIVE ME ANOTHER CHANCE!

Mr. Q:

AKHEM!
What my PC comrade tried to say is that you are welcome as long as you know your place younglings
You will have initiation ceremony as soon as you'll deserve your place among Computron worshipers
Until then you will do our biddings and pay monthly members fee (29.99$)
May the great Computron bless you!

Uhh guys you realize this is the same on 360.... secondary consoles need the license check. To play castle crashers at my bros I gotta log onto my live account.

Much ado about absolutely nothing.

sneakypenguin:
Uhh guys you realize this is the same on 360.... secondary consoles need the license check. To play castle crashers at my bros I gotta log onto my live account.

That doesn't make it a good thing.

Infact it just makes it worse.

blackrave:

My apologies. Obviously, they will need to prove themselves by naming all 200 parts of the holy instrument, as well as their individual functions. Then they must pass the holy gauntlet of Ultima, by playing all games back-to-back on hardest difficulty without changing starting gear. Cos' all of us current PC-uberbenutzer have accomplished these with ease.

We will cleanse the world of foul consoles and their dv-demon spawn

l3o2828:

sneakypenguin:

Isnt' it kind of needed though otherwise any game i have suddenly everyone I know can have for free no limits?

sneakypenguin:

l3o2828:

sneakypenguin:

Isnt' it kind of needed though otherwise any game i have suddenly everyone I know can have for free no limits?

I'm not saying there should be no limit, but this system is just restrictive and just downright annoying.

Ed130:

Mr. Q:

Ed130:

hugs Mr.Q

I'm sorry for mentioning it, I try to be open minded when giving out advice.

Personally I don't plan on ever using it, the general lack of any sort of quality from EA these days is the biggest reason.

It's quite all right, man.

hugs Ed130 back.

Morti:

Cognimancer:
The query didn't appear to give players a chance to save their game before closing it entirely,

Of course it didn't, because why would you give filthy, game-stealing pirates a chance to save there game? It's not as if DRM ever negatively affects loyal customers...

Thank goodness. These tournament players were clearly filthy pirates that are bringing these poor multinational corporations to their knees because DRM totally only ever stops pirates and never ever has any negative effect on honest paying customers.

l3o2828:

sneakypenguin:

l3o2828:

I'm not saying there should be no limit, but this system is just restrictive and just downright annoying.

I'd just have to disagree, online check in seems to be the relatively painless way to do things, especially if its 24 hours(internet is rarely down that long) and internet access is needed to transfer the profile/license anyway i'm pretty sure.

If I was designing a system i'm really not sure what else I would change, I mean allowing someone to put their digital game on any secondary xbox in the world is nice, requiring a 24 hour check seems to be the easiest way to protect the devs while allowing someone to do what they want with their game

The Xbox One in question here, was not the one originally used to download the game. If it were, the game would have been tied to that console's ID (and the originating profile), and would never need to check for licences, functioning just fine without an internet connection. It's actually more lax DRM than on the 360, which requires that the original purchaser be actively signed in for the game to be playable.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here