YouTube Issued Copyright Claims Against Miracle of Sound

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

YouTube Issued Copyright Claims Against Miracle of Sound

The Escapist's Gavin "Miracle of Sound" Dunne woke up one morning to discover he'd been plagiarizing content from... Gav "Miracle of Sound" Dunne.

YouTube has been in the headlines a lot this past week, and not exactly under the best of circumstances. If you're just tuning in, YouTube recently made a policy change allowing copyright holders to claim videos using gameplay footage, quickly creating a legal slippery slope. To make matters worse, most of these claims aren't processed by human beings, but by bots that monitor YouTube channels for infringing content. Naturally, many law-abiding content creators have been caught in the crossfire, including our own Gavin "Miracle of Sound" Dunne. The Escapist's resident musician was hit with 7 copyright claims in a single day, plus losses in revenue, all for songs that he personally created.

"Basically, I awoke the other day to find my YouTube channel riddled with third party claims from INDMUSIC - the irony being they were being claimed on my behalf for using my own songs which I wrote and performed," Dunne told The Escapist. "It took me 4 emails to get a response and over a day to get the claims removed, during which time INDMUSIC was taking 20% of my ad revenue from those videos without my consent for even claiming them. I had to 'whitelist' my YouTube channel in TuneCore's YouTube monetization policy - which I and all the other musicians [listed here] did not ever opt into."

This isn't a case of a third-party organization stealing Dunne's copyright, nor does it have anything to do with fair use of gameplay footage. INDMUSIC actually has a publishing relationship with TuneCore, the company that distributes Dunne's songs. TuneCore authorized INDMUSIC to issue copyright notices on behalf of songwriters, but no one told artists like Dunne what was happening. He never found out until his channel, and the channels of fans authorized to use his music, came under fire from multiple copyright claims.

"Now I am being flooded with complaints by fans who used my songs (with my permission) in their gaming videos," Dunne continued, "and have to email each one individually to TuneCore to get the claims removed. One YouTube user even got over 100 claims on a song I made for his channel. And when you do email [TuneCore], they don't even respond. I have had to chase back down the YouTube users to ask them if the claims have been removed. Sometimes they have, sometimes they have not. no reason is being given as to why."

While Dunne ultimately resolved the claims against his channel, the matter is far from settled. Hundreds of claims continue to be issued against authorized users of Dunne's work, and artists will probably continue to face the after effects of YouTube's policy change. In the end, Dunne understands why each company made these decisions, but adds that these claims ultimately hurt everyone.

"I think TuneCore has the artist's best interests at heart but their methods need massive changes," Dunne said. "People using our songs in lets plays/gaming videos is free advertising. I depend on this kind of word of mouth spread to popularize my music as I do not have the money for advertising and that kind of thing. They are trying to help us by collecting what we 'are owed', but they are doing more damage than help."

What fucking insanity is this? Okay this is PROOF that this automated system should only be used to check and it takes an ACTUAL person to oversee this shit. Absolute madness this.

So technology and automation is supposed to solve problems and reduce costs, huh?

I don't think Google realizes yet that, even though it might be expensive, actual people would have better judgement and common sense in situations like this regardless how complex a content scanner can be coded.

Youtube copyright bullshit strikes again. God I wish they'd figure that shit out already.

Pitchforks! Torches and pitchforks! Get 'em here! Get 'em while they're hot!

(Come on, you know this is coming.)

Hmm... I just realized I haven't bought his new album yet... I'm gonna go do that, to help make up for this. I suggest you all do the same.

http://miracleofsound.bandcamp.com/album/level-4

Hey internet! We're still waiting for the next-gen YouTube! Get to it!

Ok ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, children of all ages ... Who has had the biggest fuck up? Microsoft with it's xbox 180 or Youtube with all your vids are belong to us? Vote now!

Seriously though, this shit is getting silly. You know that they will stick to there guns though 'cos nobody is competition, so they can implement what they like we have to swallow it. Just how many variations of youtube have there been and nobody has liked any of them ... at first and then we all get used to it, till they change it again.

Agayek:
Youtube copyright bullshit strikes again. God I wish they'd figure that shit out already.

It's not YouTube's fault entirely. It's actually ancient copyright law that makes this such as clusterfuck. I know that not everyone who posts on YouTube has knowledge of international copyright law, which means the most harsh laws must apply to any international corporation, and Google is one.

Google handled it wrong, but it needs to be fixed before it can go back to being good.

TheMadJack:
Hey internet! We're still waiting for the next-gen YouTube! Get to it!

You're part of the internet, you can always begin the work! Let's start with a name.... I got it! UsTube!

Can't wait to hear the song this will surely inspire... :)

Yeah, this whole copyright thing on YouTube was ridiculous but when I saw Gav tweeting about this it went up to "complete fucking lunacy" levels of bullshit.

Equally stupid is the stuff like Terry Cavanagh's trailer that he himself made for his own game VVVVVV on his own YouTube channel being copyright claimed.

Hope that this kind of shit gets sorted out sooner rather than later (although I don't hold out much hope on that front when I saw YouTube's most recent response)

I didn't even get an email for it, but just checked and my Sovngarde Song AMV got a claim. It doesn't affect me too much as I don't monetize my videos, but considering Gav himself (and many others) get claims for THEIR OWN CONTENT, I think that's as good a-proof as any to see that this system is broken and isn't helping anyone.

FalloutJack:
Pitchforks! Torches and pitchforks! Get 'em here! Get 'em while they're hot!

(Come on, you know this is coming.)

*takes pitchfork*

It was bad enough when random YouTubers were getting their videos falsely claimed or removed but this is personal, this is one of our own. We should all stand with Miracle of Sound and drive this monopoly out of town!

Dr.Awkward:
So technology and automation is supposed to solve problems and reduce costs, huh?

I don't think Google realizes yet that, even though it might be expensive, actual people would have better judgement and common sense in situations like this regardless how complex a content scanner can be coded.

No they wouldn't. People can be cruel too because they are partial to self gain. Automated versus people is not the issue. A mix of both is the issue. Where does the automated system ends and the human element comes in.

I dont really see the problem though, isnt he payed by The Escapist? The videos are still up, right? He just doesnt get money out of them, isnt that what it was like at the start except now he is working for The Escapist therefore getting paid by The Escapist?

Its not that I dont wish him to get payed (more well payed at least) but I dont think that just because the content is also uploaded on Youtube then it should get a cut out of it where in any other case that wouldnt happen (I dont know of any other place like Youtube that pays money for content creators).

Im not fond of Lets Players (they think that they should be payed for playing a game and talking at the same time while a shitload of people already did that free for fun) but this certainly isnt that case as he does sell his albums (content he created from scratch) and he does work for a particular website for that content.

EDIT: At least my understanding of how The Escapist used Youtube was to gather more viewers/fans for their own site (and get the money out of the ads on the site), not exactly to make money directly from Youtube

Ah yes, the broken copyright strike system at it's finest. This truly shows how broken the system is and I'm glad more people are now being more vocal about this.
I mean heck I got a Content ID for having silence in my video once, and by that I mean there was no game audio nor commentary in my video.

Gavin, you pirating turd. You march your ass right over to a mirror and apologize to yourself for stealing your own songs!

This whole thing is starting to make me angry, and I don't even have a Youtube channel. This needs sorting right now, or I suggest we all migrate to another video sharing/streaming website.

josemlopes:
I dont really see the problem though, isnt he payed by The Escapist? The videos are still up, right? He just doesnt get money out of them, isnt that what it was like at the start except now he is working for The Escapist therefore getting paid by The Escapist?

Its not that I dont wish him to get payed (more well payed at least) but I dont think that just because the content is also uploaded on Youtube then it should get a cut out of it where in any other case that wouldnt happen (I dont know of any other place like Youtube that pays money for content creators).

Im not fond of Lets Players (they think that they should be payed for playing a game and talking at the same time while a shitload of people already did that free for fun) but this certainly isnt that case as he does sell his albums (content he created from scratch) and he does work for a particular website for that content.

EDIT: At least my understanding of how The Escapist used Youtube was to gather more viewers/fans for their own site (and get the money out of the ads on the site), not exactly to make money directly from Youtube

Not quite.

I don't pretend to know the agreement Gavin and the Escapist have hammered out, but that's completely irrelevant to the issue at hand. What happened is that Gavin posted videos and music that he owned on his YouTube channel, and they were flagged as copyright infringement.

For a more tangible example, this is kinda like being arrested for driving your own car.

He isn't the only person who got a copyright strike against their own content.

VVVVVV's official trailer also got hit with the new system.

So let me get this straight...

Gav's publisher issued a copyright claim on Gav's music, in order to prevent people from taking advantage of Gav's work. But they forgot to tell Gav, and so he got accused of copyright infringement for posting his own work online.... Did I read the story correctly?

I always figured Gav would get affected, took longer than I expected though.

This actually reminds me of the content checking app my university used for essay submission. The first time we used it everybody failed their essay due to plagiarism of book titles, author names and non-common but subject specific words. After this debacle they added a rating system where anything scoring 10% or less was clear.

josemlopes:

I am partnered with Machinima on Youtube and a large part of my livelihood is ad revenue from my Youtube videos. The same ad revenue which Indmusic claimed 20% of as it's 'fee' for sending the money back to me as the copyright owner through Tunecore - without my consent, effectively making me lose money.

They also claim ad rev from OTHER peoples' videos for using my songs, again taking 20% for themselves. I have yet to see a penny of it and when I do I don't know if it will tell me how much was taken from each person's channel. Needless to say I find this practice disgusting.

Whether or not I even lost money (which i undoubtedly did), the basic principle is that they should not be doing this without my consent.

Your attitude in that post equates to: 'If I work two jobs and one boss steals part of my wage, who cares because my other job still pays me fully. No harm done, right!'

Dr.Awkward:

According to Google's statistics "100 hours of video are uploaded to YouTube every minute" and "Content ID scans over 400 years of video every day."

Content ID needs to be an automated system and Google needs to protect itself from another Viacom situation, but the current state of things is obviously unfair and hostile to the content creators. Let's hope that something positive comes our of this whole mess.

Seriously, the very least Youtube could do is turn that shit off asap. If you think it is bad now already, wait until everyone in every company goes home for the holidays.

Other than that it is pretty ridiculous and stupid how that system gets used. I think it really isn't youtube's fault that every company anywhere is just bulk-uploading everything to the system they have without even checking themselves what they are actually doing. Trailers should never be on that service. Why upload your own trailers and b-reels?
There are even reports of that stuff happening with software specifically created for using it to create videos. Why? Because some idiot somewhere (doesn't even need to be that software's developer or publisher) just uploaded everything they had!

However, it is youtube's fault for keeping the system turned on.
If anything, it needs to be less binary: Right now there is just "good/okay" (didn't find anything... yet) and "we get EVERYTHING" (all the revenue from the video).
There needs to be a policy that protects clips shorter than 15 seconds as well as a policy that gives everyone a part of the revenue rather than everything for one side. For example it should be that if more than 5% of the video's length shows content from another source, that other source gets that percentage of the revenue. To protect movie and music piracy, everything over 50% or so should either get taken offline or 100% go to the original content's owner (depends on the original content owner's policies).

Franz Kafka couldn't have written something this ridiculous. Youtube is utterly broken.

Aaaaand, appreciating the absolute irony of the situation, I dedicate this song to youtube.

Seriously. Even if they have absolutely no way to check every video with human resources, and the copyright industry absolutely pressured them into putting up an overtly broad automated system, at least they could have spent some effort developing one that is slightly less buggy than THAT.

Well, this just makes me wanna go...

So we've established that robots just can't do the job. Can we please stop pretending that they can, now?

Barbas:
Well, this just makes me wanna go...

So we've established that robots just can't do the job. Can we please stop pretending that they can, now?

This is why I laugh at the robot apocalypse.

Wait, what? No, WHAT!?

and so does this story. YouTube what are you on?

Youtube really needs to sort out its copyright problem, its dishing out punishments from companies that never issued any copyright claim, this new system is dodgy as fuck and needs to be removed.

Neronium:
Ah yes, the broken copyright strike system at it's finest. This truly shows how broken the system is and I'm glad more people are now being more vocal about this.
I mean heck I got a Content ID for having silence in my video once, and by that I mean there was no game audio nor commentary in my video.

Indeed, other content creators are speaking out against it, like Angry Joe, this new automated system is not working as it should and its punishing people for nothing.

TizzytheTormentor:

Indeed, other content creators are speaking out against it, like Angry Joe, this new automated system is not working as it should and its punishing people for nothing.

The thing is, this system is not new. No, this system has been in place since 2009. The only thing is that before people would join MCNs and the MCNs would protect them against this kind of shit. Now they don't, and basically people are now paying these MCNs just to be treated as regular members of YouTube again. It's really annoying and is why I really am trying to move to only Game Anyone. Nintendo is being one of the worst offenders with this shit, waiting 30 days so then people can't monetize for those 30 days, then reinstating the claim again and getting them in a forever loop.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here