Anchorman Co-Star Set To Play Marvel's Ant-Man

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Two things.

1. Shrinking powers = the ultimate infiltrator.
2. Aquaman is awesome. Here is a list explaining why. EDUCATE THYSELF!!

Looking forward to Ant-Man. You gotta remember that half his gimmick is shrinking, but the other half is growing. Like, to the size of a skyscraper.

TehAardvark:
Absolutely stunning lack of journalistic integrity in this. This is a news feed, it's not listed as a column or an editorial so can the author please keep his opinions out of the matter. This article fails both to be objective AND fails to be ACCURATE. Seriously, five minutes on wikipedia and I was able to poke no less than a dozen factual errors in the span of a three paragraph story. The "author" as I now hesitate to call him as this comes across more as a SLIGHTLY more legible YouTube comment than any serious attempt at writing and from the comments I've read this isn't the first time he's been biased and factually inaccurate on a story. I seriously hope he is not getting paid for this garbage.

The problem with gaming journalism is that it isnt journalism at all, its just a bunch of people throwing their opinions as facts

This is great news, poorly delivered, but great. I love Paul Rudd and enjoy most movies I've seen him in. He has a knack for stealing the show. I only hope that it doesn't get too goofy.

Also thank you Mr. Q, CriticKitten, and others for providing some solid background info and points on this subject.

I know less about ant man than you do and it might turn out to be great but this looks like more of what happens every time Hollywood jumps on to a theme and runs it into the ground to me, with this one being of the run into the ground variety.

Here's the bigger question - Rudd may be playing Ant-Man, but WHO is Ant-Man? My understanding is that it may not actually be Pym who dons the costume but one of the others like Eric O'Grady and that he will be a sort of secret agent. If so, who'll play Pym, if he shows up at all? If not, why wouldn't they go with the guy who originated both the character and the power? If so, will he be retired, still a scientist, employed by Shield, a supervillain, THE supervillain of the film? If Wasp shows up, what will be her connection to all of this since Pym isn't the main character? What's their connection to the rest of the series if the Avengers have already been formed?

I'm just saying there are plenty of ways this could go.

Can we get someone who likes comics write the next article about comic movies please? Does anyone really need to be told that Ant-Man is not mainstream?

People who like Ant-Man will rightfully say that he is like, you know, one of the original Avengers. People who don't know Ant-Man will know that he isn't mainstream.

So basically no one knows this guy from Friends? C'mon guys. Great show.

Anyways Marvel has a metric shitton of cash now, they can do basically whatever idea they want, and whatever idea that-new-intern wants.

So...is anyone going to talk about Paul Rudd? I mean "best known from Anchorman" is a disservice. He has been an accredited theater actor his entire life. He is a brilliant comedic actor with perfect timing and a founding member of the comedy troupe, "The State."

He is a great choice for most things.

Haters fall back.

No one knew who Iron Man was until Robert Downey Junior. All I'm saying.

Everyone who's upset about Andy Chalk dicking on Ant-Man needs to relax. Take a breather, then come back when you remember that Ant-Man is a fictional character who doesn't need defending.

Nautical Honors Society:
So...is anyone going to talk about Paul Rudd? I mean "best known from Anchorman" is a disservice. He has been an accredited theater actor his entire life. He is a brilliant comedic actor with perfect timing and a founding member of the comedy troupe, "The State."

the whole "from Anchorman" thing is probably just because Anchorman 2 came out today, so its at the forefront of everyones mind

now, the bigger questions is, can they fit both fighting crime with ants AND wife beating into an Ant-man movie?

I know what he was going for with the Batman etc thing, but all I could think of is that Batman is the one that doesn't belong there with all the others being Marvel characters and himself being a DC guy. On topic though I think that there's plenty of potential for some interesting stuff to go down here. Especially with Age of Ultron being a thing. Count me as interested in seeing how this whole deal plays out.

vid87:
Here's the bigger question - Rudd may be playing Ant-Man, but WHO is Ant-Man? My understanding is that it may not actually be Pym who dons the costume but one of the others like Eric O'Grady and that he will be a sort of secret agent. If so, who'll play Pym, if he shows up at all? If not, why wouldn't they go with the guy who originated both the character and the power? If so, will he be retired, still a scientist, employed by Shield, a supervillain, THE supervillain of the film? If Wasp shows up, what will be her connection to all of this since Pym isn't the main character? What's their connection to the rest of the series if the Avengers have already been formed?

I'm just saying there are plenty of ways this could go.

I was also wondering which Ant-Man would be portrayed. According to IMDB the film is focusing on Pym. I dunno where that info came from though and that's all I've found so far in my limited search.

Guffe:
I'm not familiar with superheros...
Is one of the "antpowers" that he can like fall from superhights and not hurt himself one of the parts? how about lifting shit several times his own bodysize and weight?
Because if that's the case, he's basically a superhuman with superstrength and endurability + the size control thing...

Well in the Earth's Mightiest Hero tv show, he could shrink AND grow. And when he was small, he still hit with the force of a full sized Human. I think that has quite a few practical applications.

erttheking:

Guffe:
I'm not familiar with superheros...
Is one of the "antpowers" that he can like fall from superhights and not hurt himself one of the parts? how about lifting shit several times his own bodysize and weight?
Because if that's the case, he's basically a superhuman with superstrength and endurability + the size control thing...

Well in the Earth's Mightiest Hero tv show, he could shrink AND grow. And when he was small, he still hit with the force of a full sized Human. I think that has quite a few practical applications.

\

Pym Particles essentially let him control size/density, so yes, he does have super strength and endurance even when human sized. Because of ratio's, when he's small he has normal human strength. When he's normal human size, he has probably Captain America level strength.

When he's giant...well, he's a giant.

his comedic abilities and charisma might be just what the character needs to make him interesting in ways that don't involve backhanding his wife

Oh that was one time! And it was back in the seventies or thereabouts, yet people still insist on making it Ant-Man's one defining character trait (I'm looking at you Ultimate universe!). Seriously, if we were all judged on mental breakdowns we had 40 odd years ago we'd all be so very very screwed

wow Andy, you have little to no clue to what your writing about, and it doesn't seem like you have any interest in it... I like the file tag "boring" that you used as well, maybe next you will get some news about star wars, and you can tell us how its for nerds.

OT I rather like the idea of Paul Rudd doing this, although i was expecting them to pick up someone with a bit more starpower from all the news from the rumor mill.

So you couldn't just say that Paul Rudd was playing Ant-Man? You had to add your two cents. "Oh nobody cares about Ant-Man, blah blah blah, he's not cool like Iron Man or Spider-Man."

I won't say the many reasons why Ant-Man is awesome because many already have. But you should really watch what you type next time.

And of course suddenly everyone thinks Ant-Man is the best superhero. Nobody discussed or gave two fucks about this clown until MOVIE ANNOUNCEMENT.

Wow, seems like andy chalk needs to step up his knowledge about marvel comics.

Hank Pym is one of the most important heroes in the Marvel multiverse. I mean, heck. When his past self was killed by wolverine in the ultron arc, everything was beyond screwed cause he was so damn important to so many events in the timeline, like M-day and House of m.

And I'm not even a comic book fanatic.

I'm interested to see what they can do with Ant-Man, even though I'm disappointed that Ultron creation detail has been given over to Tony Stark for some strange reason. I feel that takes away from the character and his growth potential.

Really though, I'd rather see if Marvel could pull off a Black Panther movie. With Hank Pym no longer being behind the creation of Ultron, I would have really liked to have seen some sign of Black Panther being looked at in a serious way.

They are going to have market the hell out of this movie. No one outside of a very small few have even heard of Ant-Man/Hank Pym. Even the name sounds like it is from one of the '50s B-Movies. If they were so sure they wanted to introduce this character, I think they probably should have gone the Black Widow or Hawkeye route and have him be a secondary character in someone elses movie, I just don't think he can headline and carry a solo movie.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think Marvel will have their first disappointment on heir hands.

Who likes Ant-Man?

Hank Pym being a very important Marvel character... lots of people. Right? Plus, Ant-Man means Wasp, and everyone loves Wasp. Well. I love Wasp. But... you get the picture.

I'd say Ant-Man is about as well-known as Thor, at least in terms of "let's make a movie!" characters.

Trek1701a:
They are going to have market the hell out of this movie. No one outside of a very small few have even heard of Ant-Man/Hank Pym. Even the name sounds like it is from one of the '50s B-Movies.

I think Edgar Wright directing should help a lot.

Ant Man CREATED ULTRON. He is also one of the founding members of the Avengers. He's a "second rate" Avenger to you because he hasn't had a Hollywood pretty boy make millions off his name just yet?

Did I mention that Ant Man creates Ultron, and that the Avengers 2 is titled "Avengers 2: Age of Ultron"? (Likely the hook that they will use to link the two). Hey, I just did your job for you. How about you try doing that instead of ranting about a super hero because of the name "Ant Man"?

For a gaming website that should have journalists invested in geek culture I'm disappointed that Andy Chalk is speaking so ignorantly.

The author of this article is completely displaying his lack of comic book knowledge. Hank Pym (if thats who have paul rudd portray, and not Lang) is a mad genius responsible for some good things and bad things... IE Vision and Ultron.

Anyway, I am very excited about this choice. In all honesty, aside from his ties I already mentioned, the thought of an Ant-Man movie didnt really do much for me, but I started taking notice when Edgar Wright got the nod to direct it. THEN they announce Paul Rudd and I am flat out looking forward to this movie. Paul Rudd will be as big of a choice as RDJ was for Tony Stark. I have no doubts.

Spaceman Spiff:
This is great news, poorly delivered, but great. I love Paul Rudd and enjoy most movies I've seen him in. He has a knack for stealing the show. I only hope that it doesn't get too goofy.

Also thank you Mr. Q, CriticKitten, and others for providing some solid background info and points on this subject.

You're welcome. Oddly enough, I had a copy of Marvel Essentials Ant-Man in my collection.

Johnny Novgorod:
And of course suddenly everyone thinks Ant-Man is the best superhero. Nobody discussed or gave two fucks about this clown until MOVIE ANNOUNCEMENT.

Maybe not here, but there have been plenty of discussions about this for some time now. And to be completely honest, until it was announced to be a movie, most of the discussion of this particular comic hero (and most others that dont have a movie coming out) probably just remained in the comic shops where us comic geeks love to hang out and discuss all the goings on in the Marvel and DC universe. :) No offense meant, but there is a taaaaad bit of troll odor to this post. A tad. Do keep in mind there is probably a bazillion things being discussed every single second that neither you or I are privy to until it becomes headline news. Paul Rudd being given this role makes it headline news. ;)

Guys! Relax. Look, Joe Coyne is my favourite Batman villain but I'm under no illusions that he's going to headline the next Dark Knight flick.

Furthermore, Marvel itself has given a very clear indication of what it thinks of his status as a founding Avenger and creator of Ultron by dismissing him as both. The Rudd/Wright combo could suggest that Marvel is willing to try something a little more adventurous than its normal superhero fare, but doing it with Ant-Man indicates equally that it isn't prepared to colour outside the lines with a character that has broad, mainstream appeal - which, I'm sorry to say, Ant-Man lacks.

What a dreadful article.

Was this written by someone on the escapist or at the variety?

To those wondering about what Ant-Man they are planning to use, assuming nothing has changed since (which, admittedly, is a long shot), Edgar Wright said at Comic-Con in 2006 (yes, the movie has been in the works for a LONG time) that they were planning to incorporate elements of both Hank Pym and Scott Lang. Source

Normally, I'd be worried about a movie with this long of a development time, but I trust Edgar Wright. He hasn't done wrong by me yet.

Andy Chalk:
Guys! Relax. Look, Joe Coyne is my favourite Batman villain but I'm under no illusions that he's going to headline the next Dark Knight flick.

Furthermore, Marvel itself has given a very clear indication of what it thinks of his status as a founding Avenger and creator of Ultron by dismissing him as both. The Rudd/Wright combo could suggest that Marvel is willing to try something a little more adventurous than its normal superhero fare, but doing it with Ant-Man indicates equally that it isn't prepared to colour outside the lines with a character that has broad, mainstream appeal - which, I'm sorry to say, Ant-Man lacks.

You might want to be way more careful on the editorial aspect from here on out, man. Especially when addressing comic book nerds, who are the scariest ones.

Reading Andy Chalk talk shit about Ant-man really tussled my salad.

Iron man and Thor weren't that big outside of comics before they got their films, now look at them.

I do believe our Mr. Chalk has failed to do some research, starting with the fact that this film is intended to be a comedy. And that Ant-Man can grow as well as shrink. And that he was a founding Avenger.

thebobmaster:
To those wondering about what Ant-Man they are planning to use, assuming nothing has changed since (which, admittedly, is a long shot), Edgar Wright said at Comic-Con in 2006 (yes, the movie has been in the works for a LONG time) that they were planning to incorporate elements of both Hank Pym and Scott Lang. Source

I read somewhere that, should they go ahead with Scott Lang, that they might be working Cassie in, though not necessarily as "Stature."

Andy Chalk:

EDIT-fixed some spelling and grammar issues with this post.

OK, a couple things I'd like to point out.

First, I can partly understand why they want to make Tony the creator of Ultron since he happens to be the tech genius. Not everything is going to translate 100% from comics to the silver screen. It's something we all have to deal with.

As for who Paul Rudd may be playing, that is still up in the air. Much has changed since the announcement of Ant-Man back in 2006 and its not certain on whether or not this movie will be a legacy piece with Pym passing the mantle to Scott Lang or it will be focusing on Hank Pym's beginning or even going with Eric O'Grady. If they were to focus on Pym, perhaps Marvel will leave his "controversial" moments on the cutting room floor since many moviegoers would not be OK with the idea of the hero being a mentally unstable wife beater. Also, its something I would like to see Marvel recon out but that is just my opinion.

Secondly, a lot of people thought heroes like Iron Man and Thor were long shots at the box office and they were proven wrong to doubt them. While not every Marvel release was a billion dollar winner like Avengers or Iron Man 3, it is satisfying to see the studio take chances with these lesser-known characters rather than play it safe like DC Comics/Warner Brothers by sticking Batman and Wonder Woman in Superman's next movie.

Finally, the majority of people in this thread, including myself, would greatly appreciate it if you could post an article without making it mostly an opinion piece. It's OK to voice your thoughts on these things but it would help if you could offer information on the subject you're reporting(I.E. background on the new Godzilla movie and the King of Monster's 60-year history prior) and then post your opinion at the end.

Thanks in advance.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or