Reader's Choice Game of the Year Round 3 Voting Ends Soon!

Reader's Choice Game of the Year Round 3 Voting Ends Soon!

Goty Round 3 3x3 new

Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag is running neck-and-neck with The Last of Us, but Papers, Please is taking a beating at the hands of BioShock Infinite.

The Escapist's 2013 Game of the Year tournament is down to the final four, and this is where things get interesting. Only Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag, The Last of Us, Papers, Please and BioShock Infinite are left on the board, and while all are worthy contenders, there can be only one!

BioShock Infinite has taken a big lead over Papers, Please in the first match of round three, currently holding more than 63 percent of the vote, but things are much closer between Assassin's Creed 4 and The Last of Us, who have split the vote cleanly down the middle. With little more than a day remaining, will Papers, Please be able to make up lost ground? Will the Assassin's Creed or TLOU communities rally to support their champions? And can anyone stop the BioShock behemoth?

Round three of The Escapist's Game of the Year tournament closes at 11:59 pm on December 24, so if you haven't cast your ballot yet, get on it - and then keep an eye on your chosen champion in the Reader's Choice Game of the Year 2013 forum: The Last of Us vs. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, and Papers, Please vs. BioShock Infinite.

Well, my bracket is already completely busted, so now I just want to see who will actually win this.

Some people are taking it way too seriously though, like Reddit users making accounts to manipulate the votes, what's the point?

Of course it's going to be Bioshock and The Last of Us, that's like the Superman vs Batman of games this year. Shame, since my bracket only had one off so far. Good for the games, though, I guess.

Papers, Please and AssCreed making it as far as they did was still a surprise, even if they were matched up against less intimidating foes.

TizzytheTormentor:
Well, my bracket is already completely busted, so now I just want to see who will actually win this.

Some people are taking it way too seriously though, like Reddit users making accounts to manipulate the votes, what's the point?

Obviously you don't remember the March Mayhem events then. That was always the case when it comes down to it, as some people end up staying sometimes and become active on the forums.

Full:
Papers, Please and AssCreed making it as far as they did was still a surprise, even if they were matched up against less intimidating foes.

I don't know about AC4, but if it weren't for a call-to-arms by some youtuber, the matchup between Papers, Please and XCOM: Enemy Within probably would've had the winner be within fifty votes of the loser.

TizzytheTormentor:

1. I don't even get the insane logic involved in registering to a forum you never heard of to manipulate the votes of the community poll for a community you're not even a part of. The last time I remember something so stupid happening around here it was when Yahtzee had some controversy regarding his video on Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons and a ton of people came here solely to shitpost.

2. Maybe next time there can be a requirement for how long you've been registered before voting. Wouldn't need to be very long, maybe just had to have been registered one week earlier from the day that voting was announced.

MarsAtlas:
2. Maybe next time there can be a requirement for how long you've been registered before voting. Wouldn't need to be very long, maybe just had to have been registered one week earlier from the day that voting was announced.

You're missing the whole point of the contest.

The Escapist WANTS people to show up and vote, so they can get an advertising cash boost. If they stay afterwards, even better.

lacktheknack:

MarsAtlas:

You're missing the whole point of the contest.

The Escapist WANTS people to show up and vote, so they can get an advertising cash boost. If they stay afterwards, even better.

Oh, well, I guess I did. They're just a fun little thing anyways, nothing to be taken to serious. If somebody truly is that serious about it, they could make a serious of threads replicating the bracket.

TizzytheTormentor:

That's because it's a 'versus' competition. Something generally looked down at here, since it tends to turn everyone crazed and frothing at the mouth, but apparently just this once and with March Mayhem it's okay.

Glad I stayed out of this frikking hornets nest.

As exciting and amazing these events have been- especially loving how Black Flag and Last of Us have been neck-to-neck...

TizzytheTormentor:

Must admit, I agree with Tizzy here.

I'm more then happy with users joining our website and certainly staying afterwards.. I have made a friend or two who've joined for the Christmas Mayhem. However, a lot of the users who're new ... aren't being civil. It's not even in the manner that usually takes place- but rather, being downright disrespectful and trash talking about the game they're against. That's not really sportsmanship or rooting for the contest... it's just sad overall.

A few options are at hand like people can only join before the contest starts but then no more account making when the official voting begins... or you must be an Escapist member for a week/month before you can vote in the upcoming event. Would prevent a lot of issues that are happening right now.

Neronium:

TizzytheTormentor:

Obviously you don't remember the March Mayhem events then. That was always the case when it comes down to it, as some people end up staying sometimes and become active on the forums.

Oh no, I remember March Mayhem quite vividly, if I recall correctly, Zynga got to the semi finals because Zynga told Facebook to vote for it and fighting broke out all over the place.

Twas a dark time that best be forgotten...

Caramel Frappe:
Must admit, I agree with Tizzy here.

I'm more then happy with users joining our website and certainly staying afterwards.. I have made a friend or two who've joined for the Christmas Mayhem. However, a lot of the users who're new ... aren't being civil. It's not even in the manner that usually takes place- but rather, being downright disrespectful and trash talking about the game they're against. That's not really sportsmanship or rooting for the contest... it's just sad overall.

A few options are at hand like people can only join before the contest starts but then no more account making when the official voting begins... or you must be an Escapist member for a week/month before you can vote in the upcoming event. Would prevent a lot of issues that are happening right now.

I have no problem with people joining up to share their vote and why, they stick around? Even better, but if you look at the thread (Black Flag Vs TLoU) It has a lot of people praising one game and looking for an excuse to badmouth the other, saying Black Flag having pirates doesn't mean quality or how TLoU is another boring zombie game or saying that people only voted against TLoU because of Pokemon (which was most likely a joke)

I love how close they are to each other, but people have been getting way too aggravated on what is a purely subjective contest, heck, my personal GotY isn't even in the contest (Shin Megami Tensei IV)

Casual Shinji:
That's because it's a 'versus' competition. Something generally looked down at here, since it tends to turn everyone crazed and frothing at the mouth, but apparently just this once and with March Mayhem it's okay.

Glad I stayed out of this frikking hornets nest.

All GotY things are versus in some way, its not particularly a bad thing, I just don't think its something to fight over, at least its not as fiery as March Mayhem...

Not yet anyway, now we wait for the finals...

This year sucked for games.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here