Pacific Rim Gets Tesla Coil Tribute

Pacific Rim Gets Tesla Coil Tribute

YouTube user ARC ATTACKMUSIC has created an electrifying version of the Pacific Rim theme song using Tesla coils.

Pacific Rim wasn't the biggest hit of the year but for many moviegoers it left the biggest impact. In turn, there's been no lack for fan tributes to the film running the gamut from LEGO dioramas to miracles of sound. Now, thanks to a video recently released by YouTuber ARC ATTACKMUSIC, you can add Tesla coil to the list of methods used to honor the film and all it accomplished (best use of a cargo ship ever).

The video shows off a unique performance of the Pacific Rim theme from the film's soundtrack. Rather than using conventional instruments however, its creators used a pair of Tesla coils and a robot controlled drum set. The results are both really cool and fairly faithful to the actual song. Pacific Rim, of course, isn't the first song to get the tesla coil treatment. Other cover tunes like The Final Countdown and the Inspector Gadget theme are equally nifty.

Somehow though, Pacific Rim just seems like a uniquely good fit for this kind of performance. That could, of course, just be our bias for giant robots talking, but we can say with some confidence that its our favorite out of the videos posted to ARC ATTACKMUSIC's account. Give it a watch and let us know if you find it as electrifying as we do.

Source: YouTube

That robot is fucking terrifying.

And his music is electrifying.

I read the description, but my brain still has a hard time realizing what I saw was not some sort of hallucination

Hot damn, science can do anything!

... except make Pokemon real, the jerks.

soren7550:
Hot damn, science can do anything!

... except make Pokemon real, the jerks.

If only... if only.

I already loved the Pacific Rim theme, and this just makes it more fucking badass.

Ok, so I'm lazy today. Could someone tell me how they get the electrical arcs to have a certain pitch and time? This is all awesome, but I don't understand the physics behind it.

Everyone's thinking it, I'm gonna say it.

This is unbelievably awesome.

The GoT cover was amazing, too!

I'm going to say that was... interesting...

I like the concept, and while I loved the movie, I don't honestly remember the theme.

shiajun:
Ok, so I'm lazy today. Could someone tell me how they get the electrical arcs to have a certain pitch and time? This is all awesome, but I don't understand the physics behind it.

I don't know the exact science behind it. But, basically, by adjusting the voltage you can adjust the pitch. They use a computer to control the timing and voltage.

This is quite incredible.

I often wonder what people like Nikola Tesla and Thomas Edison would think of things like this if they could see them; Scientific breakthroughs being used for mere amusement.

That guy got a new subscriber. Me.

I'm gonna put this on loop and smile forever.

This would look so badass in a dark room. Maybe some blacklights too.

That's really cool. Visually interesting and great sounding.
And that robot looks hilarious.

Proverbial Jon:

I often wonder what people like Nikola Tesla and Thomas Edison would think of things like this if they could see them; Scientific breakthroughs being used for mere amusement.

Tesla would probably think that it was super cool and be really anxious to show it to his love-bird, while Edison would send his goons in to take it over and make money off of it.
I guess he could also pressure the creator to take it down if he's not making money from it or pressure the creator to pay him royalty or something if he did.

God, Edison was such a douchebag.

Keneth:

shiajun:

I don't know the exact science behind it. But, basically, by adjusting the voltage you can adjust the pitch. They use a computer to control the timing and voltage.

Aaaah, thanks. I'll look into that.

I built a MIDI tesla coil over Summer :3 It's a fun project but so expensive....

Just when I think Pacific Rim couldn't get more METAL, this came along. Thank you, Tesla Coil musicians, everywhere! \m/
Didn't these guys also make a Tesla cover of the Doctor Who theme song?

Grimh:
That's really cool. Visually interesting and great sounding.
And that robot looks hilarious.

Proverbial Jon:

Tesla would probably think that it was super cool and be really anxious to show it to his love-bird, while Edison would send his goons in to take it over and make money off of it.
I guess he could also pressure the creator to take it down if he's not making money from it or pressure the creator to pay him royalty or something if he did.

God, Edison was such a douchebag.

Its funny how the history put Edison in its place, and the sci-fi raised Tesla from oblivion, now people has more esteem for Tesla than Edison :D
They should make Battlefield's Warsaw theme...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHyNnoEhxXs&list=PLstXdGXEYegfXGOvf4J1HfFEOmovWuIz-
Its a damn disgrace that you can only hear the soundtrack during BF4's shitty campaign and not in the MP where it would be EPIC :(

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here