Battlefield 4: China Rising Gets Banned in China

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Battlefield 4: China Rising Gets Banned in China

Battlefield 4 China Rising cover

The latest expansion to Battlefield 4 has been made illegal in China to protect national security.

EA's Battlefield 4: China Rising involves a war between American protectors of freedom and a manipulative Chinese admiral. Unsurprisingly, China isn't terribly happy with this. The Chinese government has issued a nation-wide ban on the game and its expansion, ordering its removal from physical shelves and instructing players to uninstall it from hard drives. A state-run Chinese newspaper accuses EA of deliberately discrediting China's image in a "new form of cultural aggression."

It's not hard to see why the Chinese government is upset. China Rising continues Battlefield 4's plot of a near future in which the rogue Admiral Chang seeks to overthrow the national government by sparking a Russia-supported war with the United States. The expansion takes place in mainland China, adding four new maps set in these new locales, as well as the expected package of new vehicles and equipment.

"ZhanDi4," the Chinese name for the game, is being censored on Chinese social media site Weibo.com, though some Chinese gamers are reportedly working around the ban using English titles and peer-to-peer downloads. Notably, EA does not sell a Chinese-localized version of Battlefield 4, so the existing copies were already either imported or pirated.

A lot of ugly terms are being thrown around, from cultural invasion to charges of demonizing China's national image. EA has not responded to the Chinese government's actions, or these claims, as of yet.

Source: Wall Street Journal, via ZDNet

I don't blame them at all. All of those call of poopy and battleshit games do is pander to american patriotic ego, and I don't even think it's far fetched to say that these companies receive something on the side for making their games more patriotic and painting the US's rivals in a bad light.

They're better off without it anyway. Military macho jerk off material really needs to get de-throned this generation or I'm going to go berserk.

Seems to be a massive case of butthurt to me.

Oh well, if it wasn't officially published anyway, nothing has been lost.

Guess it was too close to reality, huh? Well, Battlefield has been striving to achieve "idealist reality" for quite a while now...

Whatever China. Shouldn't you be busy with your plan to turn the Moon into the Deathstar instead of worrying about this pointless crap?

You mean the game wasn't banned already?

I might just go and install it now.

Russia doesn't seem anywhere near as upset about their role as the primary antagonist in many military shooters as the Chinese government is about this expansion.

An extreme response like this could likely cause more damage to China's image among gamers than the DLC itself, especially considering China's reputation for censorship and a widespread dislike of censorship in general throughout gamer culture.

Coreless:

Sseth:
I don't blame them at all. All of those call of poopy and battleshit games do is pander to american patriotic ego, and I don't even think it's far fetched to say that these companies receive something on the side for making their games more patriotic and painting the US's rivals in a bad light.

They're better off without it anyway. Military macho jerk off material really needs to get de-throned this generation or I'm going to go berserk.

Woah, woah, woah! Add some text fast before you get a warning!

OT: Well, looks like someone is afraid a piece of entertainment will bring the walls of the mighty establishment down around his feet. Chaos, rioting, looting, and excessive sales of Ovaltine past 6PM in the streets! Pro-Tip: It will not.

I cannot respect any decision by any establishment that is so ludicrous as to worsen the problem in the first place. People have a pretty dim view of China as it is when it comes to media control and censorship and this only adds to it. Fallout has a perpetual bone to pick with Soviet Canuckistan yet I still play the hell out of the game along thousands of other Canadians with nary a whisper from anyone in our government over its content.

All I can do is shake my head slowly.

Kilt'd:
Russia doesn't seem anywhere near as upset about their role as the primary antagonist in many military shooters as the Chinese government is about this expansion.

An extreme response like this could likely cause more damage to China's image among gamers than the DLC itself, especially considering China's reputation for censorship and a widespread dislike of censorship in general throughout gamer culture.

You beat me to the punch but not only that, I have a couple of Russian acquaintances online who view their role in said games as genuine badassery.

Saulkar:

Kilt'd:

You beat me to the punch. Not only that but I have a couple of Russian acquaintances online who view their role in said games as genuine badassery.

Tell that to the outrage surrounding Company of Heroes 2's portrayal of the "Great Patriotic War".

Saulkar:

Coreless:

Sseth:

OT: Well, looks like someone is afraid a piece of entertainment will bring the walls of the mighty establishment down around his feet. Chaos, rioting, looting, and excessive sales of Ovaltine past 6PM in the streets! Pro-Tip: It will not.

I cannot respect any decision by any establishment that is so ludicrous as to worsen the problem in the first place. People have a pretty dim view of China as it is when it comes to media control and censorship and this only adds to it. Fallout has a perpetual bone to pick with Soviet Canuckistan yet I still play the hell out of the game along thousands of other Canadians with nary a whisper from anyone in our government over its content.

Your opinion of China is surely the last thing China would be caring about. To be honest, even though I don't agree at all with the system of government China has, I can understand their ire with a game concept like that. Russia's probably so used to this sort of thing now that they don't care, but for China with Battlefield, much like North Korea and Venezuela before it with Mercenaries, it does appear as a pointless stab at their country. Perhaps they're not as familiar with fictional settings in popular entertainment as the makers of these games would like to think.

Sseth:

Well, I don't share your stance on this one, but agree with your second message.
"Military macho jerk off material really needs to get de-throned this generation or I'm going to go berserk."
Thanks god for the Indie and Modding community, or else I would have barealy anything to play.

EA's Battlefield 4: China Rising involves a war between American protectors of freedom and a manipulative Chinese admiral.

I mean, come on...
"American protectors of freedom"? <.<

Soviet Heavy:

Saulkar:

Kilt'd:

You beat me to the punch. Not only that but I have a couple of Russian acquaintances online who view their role in said games as genuine badassery.

Tell that to the outrage surrounding Company of Heroes 2's portrayal of the "Great Patriotic War".

Yeah, that happened. I do not know enough about what happened to form a proper opinion. My own observations of the outrage and responses were so heavily divided I could not take any side seriously and chose to believe that both were so distorted as to generate said outrage or said distortion a product of their outrage. As before I talked to said Russians (3 in total) who only learned about it from my link to the Escapist and afterwards really did not care all too much. They were not fans of the series to begin with and beyond my anecdotal example I really do not have more to say.

P.S. I am really distracted right now as I have a head cold and my grammar is taking a beating.

EDIT: I will add that I do not believe that the outrage was not unjustified, just that the most truthful expressions of why said outrage was initiated along with proper discourse were probably buried from me under the tidal wave of angry arguments.

I can't blame them. In fact, this American military "swinging dick of freedom" propaganda is getting old. How do people still buy into that crap every fuckin' year?

Amuuurica!

(expletives disclaimer, there are swear words in this video)

I'm still convinced 99% of Americans don't get the irony of this or the movie =)

Adam Jensen:
I can't blame them. In fact, this American military "swinging dick of freedom" propaganda is getting old. How do people still buy into that crap every fuckin' year?

Maybe because most people buy the game for the fun of the multiplayer and don't even glance at any hint of story. I thought that after all this time with people being angry with COD and Battlefield they would pick up on the hint that people aren't paying 60-100 dollars for american macho military propaganda stories.

OT: China, eat a snickers.

Squilookle:

Saulkar:

Coreless:

Your opinion of China is surely the last thing China would be caring about. To be honest, even though I don't agree at all with the system of government China has, I can understand their ire with a game concept like that. Russia's probably so used to this sort of thing now that they don't care, but for China with Battlefield, much like North Korea and Venezuela before it with Mercenaries, it does appear as a pointless stab at their country. Perhaps they're not as familiar with fictional settings in popular entertainment as the makers of these games would like to think.

The beginning of your reply came off quite bitey, I will accept that it is probably the lack of emotional context in text in which case the following tangential rant need not apply further but if it was intentional then I ask here and now to please refrain from it and if in turn I commit to said venom that you in turn point it out without taking a sip. I am sick and tired of almost every rebuke to an opposing opinion on the Escapist, a supposedly civil place, possessing an air of passive aggressive ire. Once again I am open to it being a lack of emotional context and thus an issue on my end in which case I meant no harm.

Now to as civilly as possible address your reply and elaborate my position. Few have a reason to care about another's opinion until it affects them personally let alone said opinion being expressed for the sole purpose of being viewed by those whom it specifically concerns. That does not stop people from having or expressing opinions wich makes it curious as to why it is a point in this conversation to being with. Can we toss that out?

Now we both agree that China does not have the best system but I personally cannot agree with whatever their bother with the game is. It is the opinion of those in power and not the general population. With such control over what the general populations consume and how that can be a tool to shape opinions, is that not ripe for abuse? We can already observe it on a smaller scale with our own news stations and how there is normally an ulterior motive behind the curtains, controlling what we see for profit/ratings or ideology. Like you said, it was a pointless stab which I interpret as lacking motivation, statement, or genuine maliciousness. Actually, I would be more inclined to call it apathetic carelessness but if they can censor consumer media like that then is there not the possibility they can censor anything else that they do not agree with? People arguing in turn that it is inconsequential media opening up to the possibility that those in power choose what is or is not significant in a game of semantics to justify their censorship? Why would someone justify/rationalise the former without realising the consequences of the latter?

I hope I was not antagonistic in my reply.

Oh China, lighten up why don't ya. I can understand why you might get a little upset but it's just fiction (and not very good fiction apparently). If any country who was demonized in a game, movie, book etc got this butthurt, we would live in a very boring world.

Sometimes I think a lot of world leaders just need to sit down, have a drink, laugh and some fun. They're take everything so serious all the time (not just China, most countries are like this).

It is part of the reason I say American's are paranoid (the other part is a well gone over topic) just look at the list complied by Giantbomb about it

It's a pretty common theme in American games, it's like the worst case scenario, "fuck the world ending what happened to America?".

On the other hand, come on China ... Russia has been baddies for ages and they didn't say shit. Imagine if we went Axis style, the next bad guys are either Italy, Japan or Germany ... I think shit would really kick off then!

Saulkar:

The beginning of your reply came off quite bitey, I will accept that it is probably the lack of emotional context in text in which case the following tangential rant need not apply further but if it was intentional then I ask here and now to please refrain from it and if in turn I commit to said venom that you in turn point it out without taking a sip. I am sick and tired of almost every rebuke to an opposing opinion on the Escapist, a supposedly civil place, possessing an air of passive aggressive ire. Once again I am open to it being a lack of emotional context and thus an issue on my end in which case I meant no harm.

Now to as civilly as possible address your reply and elaborate my position. Few have a reason to care about another's opinion until it affects them personally let alone said opinion being expressed for the sole purpose of being viewed by those whom it specifically concerns. That does not stop people from having or expressing opinions wich makes it curious as to why it is a point in this conversation to being with. Can we toss that out?

Now we both agree that China does not have the best system but I personally cannot agree with whatever their bother with the game is. It is the opinion of those in power and not the general population. With such control over what the general populations consume and how that can be a tool to shape opinions, is that not ripe for abuse? We can already observe it on a smaller scale with our own news stations and how there is normally an ulterior motive behind the curtains, controlling what we see for profit/ratings or ideology. Like you said, it was a pointless stab which I interpret as lacking motivation, statement, or genuine maliciousness. Actually, I would be more inclined to call it apathetic carelessness but if they can censor consumer media like that then is there not the possibility they can censor anything else that they do not agree with? People arguing in turn that it is inconsequential media opening up to the possibility that those in power choose what is or is not significant in a game of semantics to justify their censorship? Why would someone justify/rationalise the former without realising the consequences of the latter?

I hope I was not antagonistic in my reply.

Sorry- I'll rephrase that: The opinions of any individual outside of China, about China itself, and the impact of the country's actions on how the average citizens of the world view it is something China would hardly care about. Not trying to single you out personally here; just including you -as I am too- in the demographic of 'average non-Chinese citizen.'

I'm not defending China's state-run censorship or the way it treats it's media and population. All I'm saying is that I can appreciate why they'd be pissed off by Battlefield 4's carelessly (as opposed to blatantly) antagonistic depiction of China and Russia. How they reacted to it is something else entirely.

Also I'm surprised that nobody has yet asked what happened to China. It used to be cool.

Soviet Heavy:

In their defence, Company of Heroes 2's portrayal of the conflict was horribly offensive. It seems like the only research Relic did for the game was watch Enemy at the Gates and read the memoirs of German Generals (such as Manstein and Guderian) that have long since been discredited. They probably at least should have made a glance at the wide variety of literature on the conflict. Most importantly the work done by David Glantz, Jonathan House, Alexander Hill (one of my professors :D), David Stahel and Robert Citino. Hell, even John Erickson's stuff is pretty damn good despite being quite old.

Their portrayal wouldn't have annoyed me so much if they hadn't trumpeted about how CoH2 was going to bring this 'untold story into the light' and other bollocks like that. Don't profess to recount actual events and then totally distort them to the point of being fiction. That really irritates the hell out of me. I'm not even Russian. I'm just a military history graduate student who has spent years studying the 'Great Patriotic War'. The campaign in that game was just terrible. I think I get so worked up about that kind of stuff because for every decent movie, game etc., there are a dozen shit ones that only feed the existing historical myths and stereotypes./rant :P

OT: Anyway, China really needs to 'man up'. Battlefield 4 is not trying to portray actual events and EA isn't some puppet of the US government. It is fiction and should be treated as such. Oh well, not much anyone can do about their decision anyway. Other than continue to pirate the game and other such things.

On the one hand, I'm against censorship.

On the other hand, that developers still make xenophobic shit like this in 2013 is pretty disgusting.

Squilookle:

Sorry- I'll rephrase that: The opinions of any individual outside of China, about China itself, and the impact of the country's actions on how the average citizens of the world view it is something China would hardly care about. Not trying to single you out personally here; just including you -as I am too- in the demographic of 'average non-Chinese citizen.'

I'm not defending China's state-run censorship or the way it treats it's media and population. All I'm saying is that I can appreciate why they'd be pissed off by Battlefield 4's carelessly (as opposed to blatantly) antagonistic depiction of China and Russia. How they reacted to it is something else entirely.

Gotcha. After what you said I can understand them being upset. I can be hot headed when it comes to censorship and can forget to summarise the other parties position (agreeable or not) but am generally weary when it comes to China and their aforementioned antics.

A_Parked_Car:

Soviet Heavy:

In their defence, Company of Heroes 2's portrayal of the conflict was horribly offensive. It seems like the only research Relic did for the game was watch Enemy at the Gates and read the memoirs of German Generals (such as Manstein and Guderian) that have long since been discredited. They probably at least should have made a glance at the wide variety of literature on the conflict. Most importantly the work done by David Glantz, Jonathan House, Alexander Hill (one of my professors :D), David Stahel and Robert Citino. Hell, even John Erickson's stuff is pretty damn good despite being quite old.

Their portrayal wouldn't have annoyed me so much if they hadn't trumpeted about how CoH2 was going to bring this 'untold story into the light' and other bollocks like that. Don't profess to recount actual events and then totally distort them to the point of being fiction. That really irritates the hell out of me. I'm not even Russian. I'm just a military history graduate student who has spent years studying the 'Great Patriotic War'. The campaign in that game was just terrible. I think I get so worked up about that kind of stuff because for every decent movie, game etc., there are a dozen shit ones that only feed the existing historical myths and stereotypes./rant :P

OT: Anyway, China really needs to 'man up'. Battlefield 4 is not trying to portray actual events and EA isn't some puppet of the US government. It is fiction and should be treated as such. Oh well, not much anyone can do about their decision anyway. Other than continue to pirate the game and other such things.

Sounds like you know what you are talking about. I want to play the game in the future but have remained a little trepid over the controversy. What , if willing, would you share with me if and before I buy the game?

omega 616:
snip

While I agree that the whole "US is in trouble and you must save 'Murica with your guns" is getting old, there is one game on that list in which I don't fully agree with, and that's Fallout 3. Mainly because in the Fallout games the US, along with the rest of the world, have already destroyed one another since the premise of the original games was if the Cold War went nuclear and M.A.D was actually achieved (also, replace Russia with China). Plus in Fallout 3 the main questline has you go against the Enclave, who are the remnants of the corrupt US Government. Now it does satire the paranoia that was present during the Cold War pretty well though. :P

Here's to hoping this current gen we'll be seeing a lot less of the "Modern Military" genre, and the industry will go back to milking clones of platformers again. XD

lol. im just wondering if this involves hong kong as well since they have there own policies. still havent gotten the game since i have problems with the servers on BF3 and therefor i am afraid that i will have the same problems as well with BF4.
but well, at least i can get the english of the game in hong kong legallyso even then i should be able to get the whole lot.

How do you ban a game in a country that was never for sale in that country to begin with? Also I think they banned it more because a Chinese person goes rogue against the government, and they don't want that thought to be anywhere near their country.

Yeah, this is hardly surprising. China doesn't have the best reputation when it comes to censorship, and they tend to get a little pissed off every time a video game developer sets their game in and/or against China. After all, Homefront even changed their antagonist to North Korea just to avoid the inevitable problems that would arise if they set it in China. Apparently, EA and DICE didn't bother to consider that as much.

TBH If you're country is getting out of a "Ban everything" face, and every time you get these "Dem Communists, so eeveel" stuff, it's not really that surprising that they banned it. Even though the theme of the game is China collaborating to save the world but you don't really get that from the title.

Saulkar:
Sounds like you know what you are talking about. I want to play the game in the future but have remained a little trepid over the controversy. What , if willing, would you share with me if and before I buy the game?

Hmmm, well there is so much wrong with the campaign of the game that I won't really bother explaining things bit by bit. Essentially, for all their talk about portraying the events in a new light, the campaign is basically a step-by-step retread of every myth and misconception that is held by the wider public. It is just the stereotypical image of the Eastern Front conjured up by German Generals post-war and given a sense of legitimacy due to the mess that the Cold War made of trying to do unbiased historical research on the subject.

Many of the themes that are outlined, events which occur and statements that are made within the game need careful qualification. Some of them are just out-and-out false. What I will do is recommend you a handful of books to read if you are interested:

(These two also talk about what was going on in the rest of Europe. Citino is a superb writer and does an excellent job of cutting the myth of the Wehrmacht's 'awesomeness' down to size.)

Citino, Robert M. Death of the Wehrmacht: The German Campaigns of 1942. Lawrence: University Press of Kansas, 2007.

Citino, Robert M. The Wehrmacht Retreats: Fighting a Lost War, 1943. Lawrence: University Press of Kansas, 2012.

(David Glantz is the leading English-language authority on the Red Army and the Eastern Front. Unfortunately he is a very academic and dry writer. He loves detailing orders of battle and such. This is one of his most readable books. He also has a MONSTER series of volumes on the Battle of Stalingrad. You can look them up on Amazon as the Stalingrad Trilogy. The last volume, which is actually two separate books, won't be out till spring 2013. I already have my pre-order in. :P)

Glantz, David and Jonathan House. When Titans Clashed: How the Red Army Stopped Hitler. Lawrence: University Press of Kansas, 1995.

(This next book is superb. Stahel is an excellent writer and his work is basically at the bleeding edge of the historiography of the conflict. I would highly recommend this book.)

Stahel, David. Operation Barbarossa and Germany's Defeat in the East. New York: Cambridge University Press, 2009.

I have a lot more, but I will leave it at that. The game itself is totally worth the 19.99 price tag they have right now with the Steam sale. The Skirmish mode (all I play really) is amazingly fun and the AI is far more interesting to play against than it was in Company of Heroes 1.

Banned eh? I'll have to wander through the various shops selling copies of the game to see if they've actually been pulled or not. My guess is they'll still be sitting there because nobody actually enforces any of these bans. When I ask them about the ban, I'll be surprised if they've actually heard about it.

You know, long before the release of Battlefield 4, I've actually been fantasizing about a fictional war between the U.S. and China that also involves a battle in Shanghai and eventually an epic battle in Beijing's Tiananmen Square. And I'm a freaking Chinese person from Hong Kong.
As much as I don't like how FPS games keep using foreign countries as enemies, the Chinese government is not doing much to clear its reputation as a bunch of pansies. This is a government so paranoid of anything that could suggest their politics are flawed, they had to put their entire internet on a filter just to shield everyone from anything they think 'threatens national security'.

Metalrocks:
lol. im just wondering if this involves hong kong as well since they have there own policies. still havent gotten the game since i have problems with the servers on BF3 and therefor i am afraid that i will have the same problems as well with BF4.

There shouldn't be a problem; most of the censorship laws in China don't apply in Hong Kong. At least not yet.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here